Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The beats1 interview was basically saying that Trent finally allowed himself to look back at his previous work and expand on it. Since previously what he's done he just have a blank slate and do something new. He says a lot of his material from the 90s influenced this, but like straight up his own work and not something that happened at the same time he was doing NIN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The new EP is really good, the new tracks on Deviations are amazing. Was It Worth It? stood out on first listen, but it's all great, and I'm really happy to hear that unique Fragile percussion style again. Also the bass in White Mask.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

il_cornuto posted:

The new EP is really good, the new tracks on Deviations are amazing. Was It Worth It? stood out on first listen, but it's all great, and I'm really happy to hear that unique Fragile percussion style again. Also the bass in White Mask.

Yeah I finally got my Fragile Deviations files today and holy cow. I guess The March had been released before but I'd never heard it until now, what an awesome track. Lots of cool stuff on this, really excited to get the vinyl.

EDIT: loving Claustrophobia Machine. Wow.

Caseman fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 24, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Some guy's uploading all the Deviation tracks to YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqqh-6kEew8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okPJ7YgECWk

:vince:

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Sorry if this is a repeat, but I didn't see anything immediately.

Two new major NIN works in 2017

http://pitchfork.com/news/70576-nine-inch-nails-to-release-two-new-major-works-in-2017/

I rather expected this given the new album was an EP.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It's really fascinating to hear the tracks that Trent left on the cutting room floor for The Fragile. It sounds like all that time he took off following TDS was really creative because the guy made so much great music that went in so many directions. I'd love to hear a version of 'Was It Worth It?' with vocals because it seems to follow on from the same style he was exploring with Into The Void and probably would have slotted-in really nicely after that track on the final album, but he had so much great material to work with it's not surprising that tough choices as to what should be cut from the final version were made.

The Fragile still has the best sounding guitars of any NIN album, too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Woah, small loving world. I just sold something on Craigslist to a guy who told me he's good friends with Josh Eustis and he knows Charlie Clouser and a bunch of other people :stare:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The problem with the Fragile Deviations is that it's so long its absurd to try to listen to in one sitting. Normally albums are like an hour long but this is over 2 and a half hours long.

I'm glad it was released though, there's some great stuff in there.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

You don't HAVE to listen to it all in one shot ya know. Maybe make a playlist of the previously unreleased stuff and flesh it out with your other favorites.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I listened to it all in one go at work, and might make a playlist of Fragile and the cut instrumentals from Deviations in place because they feel right being in there.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Was It Worth It is exactly the kind of thing I think I really hoped would be among the Fragile unreleased tracks.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm glad the instrumental version of The Day the World Went Away still includes the Na Na Nahs.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Yeah I'm pretty into this.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Entropic posted:

I'm glad the instrumental version of The Day the World Went Away still includes the Na Na Nahs.

Trent's nahs and vocal synths are as important instruments as the guitars and everything else :allears:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Trent's nahs and vocal synths are as important instruments as the guitars and everything else :allears:

He also left the affected vocal that fades in to the first word on Underneath it All, which is the only bit of vocals left in that's actually jarring.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Had these Fragile Deviations files on my PC since Christmas Eve but kept getting distracted and didn't listen to them until now.

Oh my god :swoon:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Pissing around through the Deviations files and my WITT file is missing the first ~30 seconds. Anyone know if this is intentional or an error? Cause I've already got those "The Fragile Instrumentals" from before and it's full-length in there, but I figured maybe it has something to do with being preceded by "Missing Places" this time around.
e: I went and compared all three versions and there's 5 songs where the length between "Instrumentals" and "Deviations" versions are significantly different so unless your copy of WITT from Deviations is longer than 6:50 I'll just assume it's intentionally shortened.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 29, 2016

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Diet Poison posted:

Pissing around through the Deviations files and my WITT file is missing the first ~30 seconds. Anyone know if this is intentional or an error? Cause I've already got those "The Fragile Instrumentals" from before and it's full-length in there, but I figured maybe it has something to do with being preceded by "Missing Places" this time around.
e: I went and compared all three versions and there's 5 songs where the length between "Instrumentals" and "Deviations" versions are significantly different so unless your copy of WITT from Deviations is longer than 6:50 I'll just assume it's intentionally shortened.
According to the NIN wiki it's intentional:

quote:

"We're In This Together" from Apple Music features an instrumental of the album version, while Deviations 1 cuts the intro off and has "Missing Places" flow into it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Am I crazy for thinking the Not the Actual Events artwork looks like the art for Bleedthrough before it became With Teeth? I don't know if he's really said anything about it, but I've been getting the impression this is supposed to be like, "here's what NIN could've been if I never actually kicked the habit(s)." Would make sense, at least to me, having this come out combined with revisiting The Fragile.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The organ(?) on "Was it worth it" is reminding me a lot of faith no more's "falling pieces" which is a good thing. I think that's my favorite out of the entire deviations album.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
To me, Not The Actual Events seems to be motivated more by current events than primarily a musical or personal statement. More Year Zero and less Hesitation Marks. It's not as overt as YZ obviously; and of course, it can be both. The fact that one version of the download re-uses the Still artwork is a bit of a head-scratcher though. Because for the most part it doesn't feel like he's trying to be clever or self-referential; it feels more urgent than that.

"Dear World" is the song that seems to have the clearest "meaning" -- a meditation on the social media age. "Pictures and faces on display, people who aren't here all the way." "The Idea Of You" and "Burning Bright (Field On Fire)" could also be social commentary, even though (much like YZ) they are also partially introspective, commenting more on the general human condition rather than naming names (even though maybe someday he'll perform them with a picture of Trump in the background). "The Idea Of You" sounds like a big gaslighting session -- somebody repeatedly insisting that something didn't happen, or it didn't happen a certain way, until the truth is distorted and nobody knows what to believe anymore. Which can be a statement on interpersonal relationships and social media, but also political campaigns. And the apocalyptic "Burning Bright" sounds like what some would describe as the death of "political correctness" -- basically, I'm tired of playing nice, not holding back anymore, and I feel that I'm entitled, even obligated -- "forgiven" and "free" -- to do so. Which sounds an awful lot like "Let It Go" when I put it that way, but... well, maybe we're seeing the downside of that same attitude.

Just one interpretation of course. The lyrics are some of the least obvious Trent's written in a long time, which is cool. Still not really sure what "She's Gone Away" is about.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I wouldn't deny that the album has some political or social message but I think it is also very much a musical statement as well, much moreso than Hesitation Marks or Year Zero were

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol remember when Year Zero seemed topical because the Bush administration felt dystopian? :allears:

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
I thought the artwork being reused was kinda a throwback to Bowie's The Next Day which might be my favorite album cover.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I haven't really been a fan of the super-minimalist version of the David Carson art style Trent seems to love. The original Fragile designs had some interesting stuff going on, but the more stark and minimalistic it gets, the more it seems really low-effort and dull.

I quite liked the original cover for The Fragile, within the context of the art design of the rest of the packaging. The fold-out double-CD case was really nice to look at when you actually had it in your hands even if the front image by itself is pretty unexciting when it shows up on your iPod.

And the Fragile era had my favorite NIN art ever:

But this is just :effort:

This wasn't much better:

And NTAE seems to literally just be the Still cover with different words on it?

I was hoping he'd gotten away from boring minimalist art when he got Russell Mills back to design Hesitation Marks (which looked great!) but we're back to bland Fragile outtakes for everything apparently. :geno:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

That ninwiki page says all the tracks tagged 'Instrumental' had vocals in some form whether it was just basic scratch vocals or completely finished.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Entropic posted:

But this is just :effort:

I dunno, he's stripped back a layer of The Fragile, so he uses the cover image without the red/orange image overlayed. Makes sense to me.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
i'll be curious if the packaging includes any green/flowers. i always liked how that contrasted with the front cover so much.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Kind of surprised no one else has mentioned it yet, but the Patriot's Day score is also really good, though it is more atmospheric background than even his previous scores

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

glam rock hamhock posted:

Kind of surprised no one else has mentioned it yet, but the Patriot's Day score is also really good, though it is more atmospheric background than even his previous scores

the movie looks real bad and the music used in the trailer sounded super generic

dont know if that was from reznor's score or not but I think thats probably why people arent talking about it much

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

sleepwalkers posted:

I dunno, he's stripped back a layer of The Fragile, so he uses the cover image without the red/orange image overlayed. Makes sense to me.

Holy poo poo I didn't even realize it was part of the original cover.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Was It Worth It is amazing, and I wish we got more tracks like that instead of poo poo like White Mask.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Leon Einstein posted:

Was It Worth It is amazing, and I wish we got more tracks like that instead of poo poo like White Mask.

So, was it worth it?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Sir Lemming posted:

So, was it worth it?

Eh, not really since he released most of these for free a while back.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Protips for playing the new NIN stuff on an Apple iDevice:
  • The sample rate of the "Hi Res Digital" files is actually too high to be played on an iPhone. You'll need to downsample them to 44.1 kHz /16-bit with an external program (I use dbPoweramp's file converter) before attempting to sync. I ended up converting from WAV to ALAC and including a downsampling step in the conversion process - the resulting files are "only" lossless CD quality. btw I'm assuming you can ignore all this if your iTunes was already converting your synced music to lossy (AAC) format
  • At 3000x3000 pixels, the included album art is too large to work on iPhones. I reduced mine to 1000x1000 and re-added in iTunes, after which it appeared to work fine.
  • Keep in mind that in iTunes itself (like, on a computer) everything works out of the box. The above caveats are just for getting the files to play nice with a phone/iPad/etc
Figured I'd share since it took a while to get this stuff playing 100% nice with my phone!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 31, 2016

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Minidust posted:

• At 3000x3000 pixels, the included album art is too large to work on iPhones. I reduced mine to 1000x1000 and re-added in iTunes, after which it appeared to work fine.

Ah, that explains why it never showed up!

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

IUG posted:

Ah, that explains why it never showed up!

When I looked at it in mp3tag, the cover art showed up as "other" instead of "front cover"

Not sure if this makes any difference

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah art from iTunes is sometimes over 3000 px so I'm betting it's just a tagging problem and not the art itself

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

BANME.sh posted:

Yeah art from iTunes is sometimes over 3000 px so I'm betting it's just a tagging problem and not the art itself
oh interesting. Wonder if something else I did triggered it. I had I initially added the art file directly through MP3tag; it showed up in iTunes but not when synced to the phone. I then tried pasting the art through iTunes itself and re-syncing; still got blank art. Only after changing the size did it show up on my phone, but iTunes can be weird yeah so who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

I think you expected too much if you thought all the extra material was going to be fully-formed songs. I'm just happy we got some kind of Deluxe version of the Fragile at all since it's been sitting in limbo for half a decade.