Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cythereal posted:

Looking more and more like Bioware is playing it painfully safe with Andromeda.

Curious, but how many do you want them to let you bring? Three? Four? Literally everyone at once?

Because I'd be down for the latter if only to play the pathfinder like some Civil War general watching the battle unfold from safely behind the allied line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think some of Mass Effect's replayability comes from taking along different party members and seeing their responses to missions. The change in tone and dialogue if you bring Legion on Tali's loyalty is great, or when Javik completely dismantles Liara's entire worldview on Thessia. The Citadel DLC intercut sections where you only had two squadmates with cinematic sections that involved the entire cast, which was also all right. There are many ways you can do it, but first you have to bother writing interesting characters that you would conceivably want in your party.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

marshmallow creep posted:

Curious, but how many do you want them to let you bring? Three? Four? Literally everyone at once?

Because I'd be down for the latter if only to play the pathfinder like some Civil War general watching the battle unfold from safely behind the allied line.

Eh, fair enough. I'm at heart still more a fan of turn-based RPGs where bringing a large party is more manageable. I'd be so loving down for an RPG where the combat gameplay is something like X-COM. Shadowrun Returns was a good example.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DarkHorse posted:

What really annoyed me in DAI was how I could only use a fraction of the available powers. I missed my giant power wheel full of options, it's part of why I like playing mages :(

One of many reasons I'm glad I played a rogue in DAI. And I never play rogues in RPGs so that was as good a time as any to finally try it out.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

3, a la SR style. You get to call squaddies on the go after you do their loyalty mission and you all pile into Mako 2.0 except for bone Krogan because he doesn't fit and will run after your vehicle at disconcerting speeds.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
It'd be nice if, while you only brought two squaddies, the others could be involved peripherally -- you send them to take care of other things, or your resident Garrus is on a hill two miles away sniping, or they're providing tactical support from the ship, or something

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Reclaimer posted:

You know who is a good companion to run alongside Cassandra and Dorian? Sera
I wholeheartedly, unironically agree with this. Between the awkward hitting on Cass and the increasing bonding/snarkiness with Dorian you get some hilarious poo poo going on.

I wouldn't mind the 3+PC system DAI uses, but I imagine they'll use the same system from 2/3 so you can bind 1 power and give the follow/take cover/attack target for each squaddie which makes for smoother combat than ME1.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Any squadmates you don't bring should at least get up to something back on the ship. Would make romances more interesting if your love interest was always left behind on the ship and couldn't help passing the time with someone else you always left behind...

Or your Krogan starts to get cabin fever and wigs out. Or battle stats start to degenerate if they're never used. Or you can assign them research tree assignments.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

SubponticatePoster posted:

I wholeheartedly, unironically agree with this. Between the awkward hitting on Cass and the increasing bonding/snarkiness with Dorian you get some hilarious poo poo going on.

Exactly! And tactically it works out really well too. I played a Knight-Enchanter and would play aggro tug-of-war with Cassandra while Dorian dropped AoEs on us and raised the dead, then Sera's basically a machine gunner when her tempest poo poo starts popping off and the screen's full of glowing arrows. Just a great combo all around.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Sera, Bull, and Solas are a great combination for the same reasons. There's even a bit of Bull lecturing Sera on her misogyny and how she shouldn't treat women as disposable sex objects.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Sera, Bull, and Solas are a great combination for the same reasons. There's even a bit of Bull lecturing Sera on her misogyny and how she shouldn't treat women as disposable sex objects.

Sera, Vivienne, and Solas all hate each other and you get maximum snark bringing them along :allears:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lobok posted:

Any squadmates you don't bring should at least get up to something back on the ship. Would make romances more interesting if your love interest was always left behind on the ship and couldn't help passing the time with someone else you always left behind...

Or your Krogan starts to get cabin fever and wigs out. Or battle stats start to degenerate if they're never used. Or you can assign them research tree assignments.

For all the problems Mass Effect 3 had it was the only one where it feels like your crew actually had lives on the ship when you weren't looking at them. I was actually shocked when I found that Liara and Garrus weren't standing in their usual spots (I actually thought it was a bug a first) but were instead in one of the lounges having a conversation.

Compare that to ME 1 & 2 where your crew never do anything but stand in the same spot all game and never interact with each other outside of the occasional cutscene unless you take them out on a mission.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Veotax posted:

For all the problems Mass Effect 3 had it was the only one where it feels like your crew actually had lives on the ship when you weren't looking at them. I was actually shocked when I found that Liara and Garrus weren't standing in their usual spots (I actually thought it was a bug a first) but were instead in one of the lounges having a conversation.

Compare that to ME 1 & 2 where your crew never do anything but stand in the same spot all game and never interact with each other outside of the occasional cutscene unless you take them out on a mission.

And then you see Garrus and Tali ( think) kissing in Garrus's engine room if you didn't romance either of them. :allears:

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Drifter posted:

And then you see Garrus and Tali ( think) kissing in Garrus's engine room if you didn't romance either of them. :allears:

And Vega has a drinking contest with Ashley but respectfully takes her back to her bunk and leaves her there after she blacks out. The two mechanics in the engine room shack up unless you pour verbal cold water on them, and I think Traynor hooks up with Ayers.

It's basically space college and I sorta prefer it that way.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Reclaimer posted:

And Vega has a drinking contest with Ashley but respectfully takes her back to her bunk and leaves her there after she blacks out. The two mechanics in the engine room shack up unless you pour verbal cold water on them, and I think Traynor hooks up with Ayers.

Traynor doesn't hook up with anyone. Ashley will boink Vega in Citadel, though.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Cythereal posted:

Traynor doesn't hook up with anyone. Ashley will boink Vega in Citadel, though.

They flirt over coms pretty often, and Ayers prefers to keep her affairs discreet... I dunno, the only reason I let her on the ship is so my thirsty, thirsty homegirl could get some play.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Reclaimer posted:

They flirt over coms pretty often, and Ayers prefers to keep her affairs discreet... I dunno, the only reason I let her on the ship is so my thirsty, thirsty homegirl could get some play.

Ayers? You mean Allers? She never interacts with Traynor in person, but if you like to think they're having a discrete relationship who am I to judge. I just prefer to think Traynor has better taste than that.

I usually don't recruit Allers at all, and if you wait long enough she eventually gets killed off-camera.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
How do you find out she died? Was there a SPectre press release or something?

And if you think Traynor's so thirsty just let her have some water in your cabin. :wink:

Reclaimer posted:

lol looks like SOMEONE didn't find the time to take an extra mission before rescuing everyone taken by the collectors in ME2.

:negative:
RIP Gabby.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Cythereal posted:

Ayers? You mean Allers? She never interacts with Traynor in person, but if you like to think they're having a discrete relationship who am I to judge. I just prefer to think Traynor has better taste than that.

I usually don't recruit Allers at all, and if you wait long enough she eventually gets killed off-camera.

gently caress, yeah. Her. Whatever her name is.

Like I said, one reason.

Drifter posted:

lol looks like SOMEONE didn't find the time to take an extra mission before rescuing everyone taken by the collectors in ME2.

I already did everything by the time I hosed with the beacon thing, iirc.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drifter posted:

How do you find out she died? Was there a SPectre press release or something?

If you don't recruit her, one of the news reports you can hear on the Citadel says she embedded aboard a dreadnought, I forget the name. Towards the end of the game, another news report will mention that said dreadnought was lost with all hands.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

If you don't recruit her, one of the news reports you can hear on the Citadel says she embedded aboard a dreadnought, I forget the name. Towards the end of the game, another news report will mention that said dreadnought was lost with all hands.

Well that's just paying attention to something completely worthless. :colbert:
I liked that other journalist from the first two games, the one they fuckin' killed in a TWEET of all places goddammit Bioware you retarded.

Reclaimer posted:

I already did everything by the time I hosed with the beacon thing, iirc.

I wanted Legion with me when I helped Tali. :colbert:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Drifter posted:

Well that's just paying attention to something completely worthless. :colbert:
I liked that other journalist from the first two games, the one they fuckin' killed in a TWEET of all places goddammit Bioware you retarded.

I wanted Legion with me when I helped Tali. :colbert:

That tweet chain did help get people hype, but it wasn't worth it to lose Wong. I would have loved having her on the ship instead of Allers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

That tweet chain did help get people hype, but it wasn't worth it to lose Wong. I would have loved having her on the ship instead of Allers.

Hell, put Kalisah bint sin al-Jilani on the ship instead. You even get 5 extra war asset points if you never punched her. :)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It would've been slightly cool if you could choose between the critical journalist or the one that does nothing but puff pieces on you.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh dang, I meant that al-Jilani chick. She was cool. I forgot about Wong. haha, I'm such a bad ME Fan. I don't remember all the weird little things.

Was Wong the one who you helped bug the citadel traffic controllers? What did il-Jilani do with you, aside from that one mean interview where you schooled her on the attack of CItadel by Harbinger.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
It was bad enough that they put a real life games journalist in game to make literal propaganda for you (the battle tits lady), then I discover you can also bang her. I hope bioware moves away from this cringy stuff (even CDProjekt did it in the expansions... mostly.)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
'games journalist' even in all seriousness sounds like a pejorative. It's so good.

Just call her a talk show host.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drifter posted:

'games journalist' even in all seriousness sounds like a pejorative. It's so good.

Also, Chobot said that her favorite romance for Shepard in the trilogy is... Allers.

Meer said Liara, and Hale went for Garrus.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Cythereal posted:

Also, Chobot said that her favorite romance for Shepard in the trilogy is... Allers.

Meer said Liara, and Hale went for Garrus.

Garrus made for a helluva Bromance, I never pursued him romantically though because how would that even work with his weird flappy jaw. I like him and Tali together though.

No surprise Commander Vanilla went for the obvious choice though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Shooting bottles with Garrus is one my favorite moments. Garrus is a cool dude and hope the new Turian character is just as good in her own way.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Shooting bottles with Garrus is one my favorite moments. Garrus is a cool dude and hope the new Turian character is just as good in her own way.

The new Turian character will be a rogue with a heart of gold, just like the teammate from the Omega dlc. Except this time you can gently caress her. And instead of doing "Calibrations" like Garrus, she'll be all, "Scanning". "Gotta get my Scan on, Shep Ryder."

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 1, 2017

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I just realised that all the human characters are lovely in some way compared to fun ones like Garrus. The coolest Human characters are all DLC and they aren't even that fleshed out (Zaeed/Kasumi.)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Thor-Stryker posted:

I just realised that all the human characters are lovely in some way compared to fun ones like Garrus. The coolest Human characters are all DLC and they aren't even that fleshed out (Zaeed/Kasumi.)

Vega's pretty cool, he's just had the misfortune to be introduced a game or two too late, and alongside Javik.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Traynor. Miranda's not bad if you look past the constant rear end shots.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Thor-Stryker posted:

I don't think James is lovely. Nor do I think Jacob is lovely. Kaiden and Ashley are whiny pieces of poo poo, however.
Traynor is pretty dope most of the time. Joker's cool. Miranda's 50/50 split, but she's a corporate villain with a heart of gold.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Ashley's hangover is hilarious at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcj3VFOBF7o

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Vega is OK. Freddie Prinze Jr. does a good potrayal (and to that point, Iron Bull, probably one of the few good things about Inquisition). I still want my trophy for doing more pull ups than him. :mad:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
gently caress Bioware for giving that option but not even giving you a cheevo. That poo poo took like 15 minutes. It's the type of thing the Stanley Parable makes fun of for gently caress's sake. :argh:

If you aren't in a relationship you end up in bed with Jaavik after Citadel. :smh:
Not a week out of hypersleep and he's tryin' to repopulate his species.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's funnier without the achievement. Haha, people actually did that thinking they were gonna get an achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I do it every time. The only achievement I need is the respect of my shipmates.