Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Wow someone mentioned A World At War a few pages back and I can't believe I didn't repost this:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/940888/life-altering-game-deserves-kind-session-report

It's literally the best after-action report written for any game ever. It's a work of art.

edit-- oh this is a perfect top-of-page post

quote:

And what will you do, she said, shaking her head pityingly, what will you do when you wind up old and with nobody around, living alone day after day? What will you do when you suddenly realize that’s the worst thing that can happen to anyone, and it’s too late to find somebody to love you?

And I said to her, at the worst possible moment to try to be funny: I think I’d learn to play A World at War.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'll post a more complete AAR later, but went with Panzer Leader, scenario 10, and we both quite enjoyed ourselves! I played the Germans to a tactical victory, and for a battle where it is completely obvious who is going to "win" before it starts, it feels pretty close by the end.

Neither of us had any idea how to set up correctly, we made multiple tactical (but not rule!) mistakes, and had a good time. Thanks for the help picking.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

silvergoose posted:

I'll post a more complete AAR later, but went with Panzer Leader, scenario 10, and we both quite enjoyed ourselves! I played the Germans to a tactical victory, and for a battle where it is completely obvious who is going to "win" before it starts, it feels pretty close by the end.

Neither of us had any idea how to set up correctly, we made multiple tactical (but not rule!) mistakes, and had a good time. Thanks for the help picking.

Glad it worked out :respek:. Always liked the scale of this game; plenty of moving around and decision making but not too invested in minutia.

There was an attempt to bring the series back but it didn't work out too well. There's a kickstarter out there someplace that's trying to bring it back yet again but can't find the link atm.

Speakig of old, web-grognards has a bunch of extras as well. https://grognard.com/ArticlePageList.aspx?GameID=p343#pageTop

Erghh fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 30, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Erghh posted:

Glad it worked out :respek:. Always liked the scale of this game; plenty of moving around and decision making but not too invested in minutia.

There was an attempt to bring the series back but it didn't work out too well. There's a kickstarter out there someplace that's trying to bring it back yet again but can't find the link atm.

Speakig of old, web-grognards has a bunch of extras as well. https://grognard.com/ArticlePageList.aspx?GameID=p343#pageTop

What about Tactical GameX?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Finster Dexter posted:

What about Tactical GameX?

No good man, they completely got the turret rings wrong.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Erghh posted:

So the things we noticed in terms of the system, I guess, are:

No retreats. Like, the CRT is dispersed, dispersed or killed if already dispersed, no effect, or eliminated. It made for some *brutal* town fighting since everything fights as stacks there (assuming we got that right).
Armor is for direct fire, infantry is for close assaults, and never the twain shall meet; this was probably scenario dependent but I got some insane numbers for howitzers and armor firing against spotted town infantry
The two ways to eliminate fortified infantry are to have a 4-1 advantage or to direct fire and THEN close assault, and it's really hard to kill things in any other way
No supply; the only things you have to worry about is actually using roads because otherwise infantry moves too slow

So yeah. Good stuff, and we may or may not play it again but it was a *great* way to introduce a lot of basic hex and counter CRT poo poo without being overwhelming. Plus we chose a scenario with no high ground and very little maneuvering which, again, good for beginners.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
I can't even begin to describe how loving happy this makes me:

4th Marine Division for EOTS. gently caress yeah!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

COOL CORN posted:

Wow someone mentioned A World At War a few pages back and I can't believe I didn't repost this:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/940888/life-altering-game-deserves-kind-session-report

It's literally the best after-action report written for any game ever. It's a work of art.

edit-- oh this is a perfect top-of-page post

i keep trying to read this

and then i get to the paragraph where he talks about how beautiful his rich inner world is and how nothing and no one can compare to the pure joy of gazing into his own fathomless depths and

and the fuckboy alarms start screeching so loud that i have to close the tab before my eardrums burst

like there was no way he wasn't tugging his dick when he wrote that

i didn't want this i just came here for board games :gonk:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Gutter Owl posted:

i keep trying to read this

and then i get to the paragraph where he talks about how beautiful his rich inner world is and how nothing and no one can compare to the pure joy of gazing into his own fathomless depths and

and the fuckboy alarms start screeching so loud that i have to close the tab before my eardrums burst

like there was no way he wasn't tugging his dick when he wrote that

i didn't want this i just came here for board games :gonk:

The jig is up when he comes into the thread to bask in the accolades and share more bon mots about his kooky friends. Def on the spectrum.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Oh hell yeah. Finally got a copy of Ambush! (partially punched).

Also got scans of all the Ambush series of games from an extremely shady site in Australia for $5.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Oh hell yeah. Finally got a copy of Ambush! (partially punched).

Also got scans of all the Ambush series of games from an extremely shady site in Australia for $5.

But can you recreate the original event card sleeve from a scan? That's some classic 80's copy protection, although unintentionally.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Yooper posted:

Played my first game of Washington's War today. Took about 5.5 hours total with lots of time to study the rules. I lost by 2 colonies, and would have taken them if not for 2 PC markers. Very impressed with the game and would have immediately played another round if it wasn't late. My opponent got lucky, smashed Howes army on the first card, and was able to control the seaboard shortly after. Losing the Regulars +1 bonus really hurt.

I played my first game of it yesterday (and it was the first time for both of us). We attacked from an enemy-controlled space once each and were forced to surrender when we lost, and forgot to shuffle in the two cards that were supposed to go in early in the game; eventually I figured out (as the Americans) that I needed to stop attacking the British in port towns while they had the Regulars bonus. Lost via the British tie-breaker by one PC marker.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Obfuscation posted:

But can you recreate the original event card sleeve from a scan? That's some classic 80's copy protection, although unintentionally.

There's a really old like Windows 95 software that does all the paragraph stuff for you. You can find it if you google around enough

Saedar
Nov 4, 2009

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave.

COOL CORN posted:

Awakening the Bear 1st edition isn't compatible with the Solo Expansion, and has ugly-as-poo poo maps.

So, if you don't care about those things, go for it if you can find it cheap. Otherwise, I've heard great things about Guadalcanal.

Thanks for the info. Went with Guadalcanal. Any thoughts on the DVG solo games? The leader series sounds interesting as well, particularly Tiger leader and Hornet leader.

Saedar fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 1, 2017

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Saedar posted:

Thanks for the info. Went with Guadalcanal. Any thoughts on the DVG solo games? The leader series sounds interesting as well, particularly Tiger leader and Hornet leader.

The flight games are really good (Thunderbolt/Apache, Hornet, etc) but the land/sea games aren't as good. Tiger Leader is supposedly so bad on release that DVG released a full countersheet of errata counters and replacement cards.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Obfuscation posted:

I bought the PDFs to check out some of the more obscure modules I'll never be able to get my hands on. Trust me, I have no intention to avoid paying for available games. ; )

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Saedar posted:

They're running a kickstarter for Sherman Leader right now where if you pledge you get another one of their games for free (options include several of the Leader series and FC series). Worth checking out if you think they sound interesting.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

homullus posted:

I played my first game of it yesterday (and it was the first time for both of us). We attacked from an enemy-controlled space once each and were forced to surrender when we lost, and forgot to shuffle in the two cards that were supposed to go in early in the game; eventually I figured out (as the Americans) that I needed to stop attacking the British in port towns while they had the Regulars bonus. Lost via the British tie-breaker by one PC marker.

I had a similar experience for game #2. The Americans dropped PC markers drat near everywhere and avoided combat as much as possible. I tried sliding about my Regulars' Doomstacks but for as cool as it looked it did remarkably little. Only by getting a lucky card on the last year (1781 I think) did I manage to flip a few PC's that got me up to 6 colonies of control.

I'm really impressed with how well it meshes everything.

Saedar
Nov 4, 2009

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave.

blackmongoose posted:

They're running a kickstarter for Sherman Leader right now where if you pledge you get another one of their games for free (options include several of the Leader series and FC series). Worth checking out if you think they sound interesting.

Cheers for the heads up. I decided to take a chance on the kickstarter for Sherman leader, I will likely grab phantom or hornet leader to go with it. I am excited to get into some more complex games war games...now I just have to talk my mates into playing them with me as well.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Well, for good or ill, I've decided to take advantage of GMT's new P500 EU-friendly shipping and just put in P500s for Ardennes '44 2nd ed, Holland 44, Imperial Sturggle and Boudicca. Was tempted by NW poland. Will probably eventually pull the trigger on that.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

The new solo rules for A Distant Plain from Ci3 magazine have been posted.

https://twitter.com/RBMStudio1/status/816082032241430529

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'm looking for more multi-player (more than just 2 players) wargames - I ordered the 1812 one in the OP to try out with some board gaming friends of mine but they seemed kind of tepid on the subject matter. What else is out there?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Depends on what you mean by Wargame. The COIN games are pretty well recommended but it's blocks on map not WWII hexes. Sword of Rome plays up to 5 but is pretty lengthy. Hear good things about Maria but haven't played it. Also want to know if Triumph and Tragedy is any good. And there is another full world multiplayer WWII game being designed whose name escapes me.

dishwasherlove fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 3, 2017

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

dishwasherlove posted:

Depends on what you mean by Wargame. The COIN games are pretty well recommended but it's blocks on map not WWII hexes. Sword of Rome plays up to 5 but is pretty lengthy. Hear good things about Maria but haven't played it. Also want to know if Triumph and Tragedy is any good. And there is another full world multiplayer WWII game being designed whose name escapes me.

I love Maria. It's my favourite 3-player game, bar none. It is a genuninely brilliant, tense game where good maneuvering and bluffing can overcome awful, awful hands. Love it to bits.

Wargamewise - to be honest, you won't find a lot of pure hex-and-counter wargames or CDGs that play more than 2 very well, with the exception of the multiplayer focused CDGs (Here I Stand, Virgin Queen, Sword of Rome, Succesors being the main "good" ones), the epic expansions for The Command and colors series (both ancients and napoleonics), some gigantic strategic games (Third reich, Unconditional surrender, World in Flames), the COINs, and a few odds and ends (Maria/Friedrich). What you CAN do is play traditioanl hex and counter games in teams - and I find the traditional hex andcounter ones are probably better than non-multiplayer CDGs or staggered activation games (Nappy's Triumph, BCS etc.) for that because you can divided areas of responsibility on the board and "full activation" mean you can focus on your hlaf of the board without having to really wait for your teammate. OCS in particular is played very often as a team game at conventions with each person controlling a specific section of the front.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

dishwasherlove posted:

I describe T&T as the most video-gamey of strategic wargames. It has political control of the neutral states, industry for researching new powers, an atomic race victory, economic victory, war victory, and a supply system with attrition. You draw from two decks of cards: one lets you pair up to research equipment while the other persuades neutral nations to join you or issues commands in one of three seasons. Orders are played simultaneously then resolved in initiative order so there's a bit of bluffing based on what your opponents are building towards.

But the neatest thing to me is that the game separates peace and war. At peace everyone draws a VP chit that's worth I believe 0-2 points. So one person will win eventually if everyone is inactive which in turn forces the other players to quickly maneuver to action. Once war breaks out the economic game changes immensely so that you can also disrupt someone building towards an economic victory by declaring war.

Combat is basic and there's no historic chrome except that the USA can be delayed from entering the war. It's a bad simulation that kind of pissed off people because they can't recreate the war, but it's a great strategy and the only game I saw that has air/land/sea + economy + politics + 3 players + 90-ish minutes. I'm probably going to drop the $35 to get the 2nd edition components and big box.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

al-azad posted:

I describe T&T as the most video-gamey of strategic wargames. It has political control of the neutral states, industry for researching new powers, an atomic race victory, economic victory, war victory, and a supply system with attrition. You draw from two decks of cards: one lets you pair up to research equipment while the other persuades neutral nations to join you or issues commands in one of three seasons. Orders are played simultaneously then resolved in initiative order so there's a bit of bluffing based on what your opponents are building towards.

But the neatest thing to me is that the game separates peace and war. At peace everyone draws a VP chit that's worth I believe 0-2 points. So one person will win eventually if everyone is inactive which in turn forces the other players to quickly maneuver to action. Once war breaks out the economic game changes immensely so that you can also disrupt someone building towards an economic victory by declaring war.

Combat is basic and there's no historic chrome except that the USA can be delayed from entering the war. It's a bad simulation that kind of pissed off people because they can't recreate the war, but it's a great strategy and the only game I saw that has air/land/sea + economy + politics + 3 players + 90-ish minutes. I'm probably going to drop the $35 to get the 2nd edition components and big box.

I'd honestly probably prefer T and T more if you told me it was a game about three fantasy factions in a fictional world. It bears very little resemblance to world war 2.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

tomdidiot posted:

I'd honestly probably prefer T and T more if you told me it was a game about three fantasy factions in a fictional world. It bears very little resemblance to world war 2.

I kind of feel the same, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the original plan but someone high up said "Hey, this won't sell if it's not World War 2." Replace the blocks with chits and halve the card size and you'd get a Fantasy Flight game.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Cataclysm was the 5 player grand strategy WWII game I couldn't remember. https://www.gmtgames.com/p-519-cataclysm.aspx

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

al-azad posted:

I kind of feel the same, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the original plan but someone high up said "Hey, this won't sell if it's not World War 2." Replace the blocks with chits and halve the card size and you'd get a Fantasy Flight game.

The higher the level- the less detailed a ww2 game gets, the more open it has to be politically to work. Even games like USE allow for some very strange political combinations in the interest of variable gameplay.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Panzeh posted:

The higher the level- the less detailed a ww2 game gets, the more open it has to be politically to work. Even games like USE allow for some very strange political combinations in the interest of variable gameplay.

I think this is probably why I don't really like strat level WW2 games. I like playing out historically plausible stuff, not "lel German invasion of America US navy don't real lel" that some of these games let you do

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

clockworkjoe posted:

I'm looking for more multi-player (more than just 2 players) wargames - I ordered the 1812 one in the OP to try out with some board gaming friends of mine but they seemed kind of tepid on the subject matter. What else is out there?

Titan

al-azad
May 28, 2009

For the sake of research, I'd like suggestions on games with chit pull resolution. The only one I own is Guns of Gettysburg.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Has anyone tried Comancheria? I've been thoroughly depressed by failed miserably at enjoyed Navajo Wars, but I'm not sure whether they are distinct enough to buy the second one.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fat Samurai posted:

Has anyone tried Comancheria? I've been thoroughly depressed by failed miserably at enjoyed Navajo Wars, but I'm not sure whether they are distinct enough to buy the second one.
Word on the street is that it's better designed than Navajo Wars, and Navajo Wars was pretty good all by itself.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
gently caress.

:homebrew:

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

al-azad posted:

For the sake of research, I'd like suggestions on games with chit pull resolution. The only one I own is Guns of Gettysburg.

The Barbarossa Campaign

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

al-azad posted:

Apparently Butterfield's Enemy Action Ardennes is really good as well. Godawful components though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Just used my christmas eBay gift card to pick up Der Weltkrieg Western Front and Eastern Front... if I ever pick up Italian Front and Osmanli Harbi I can play the entire WW1!!!

Der Weltkrieg is really fuckin' good by the way. In my opinion.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

al-azad posted:

Last Blitzkrieg has the option of using chit pull, and frankly I think it works really well with how BCS is set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Finster Dexter posted:

Last Blitzkrieg has the option of using chit pull, and frankly I think it works really well with how BCS is set up.

:agreed: especially for solo play.