Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Hi posted:

Any advice on who to use the memory crystal 3 on ?

Cloud is my only MC3'ed character, of my regular line up of level 80s ;

Beatrix has a Lightbringer burst weapon
Bartz has an excalibur SSB and Bartz' cloak
Terra has a startdust rod burst weapon
Yshtola has an omnirod SSB and the stoneskin II SSB memorized, and healers robe unique
Yuna has a full metal rod SSB
Steiner has his excalibur SSB
Laguna has machine gun SSB
Zidane has a rank6 Orichalcum SSB dagger
Yda has Sphairai SSB
Vivi has the double cast poison and meteor uniques
Gilgamesh has Zantetsuken SSB

those are my regulars, which are really only regulars because SSBs are too powerful to swap out for a character with realm bonuses but no useful specials.

Of that list what would anyone suggest I use my MC3 on to help push me towards being strong enough to reliably unlock MC3s in the future

Beatrix, no contest there, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Hi posted:

Bartz has an excalibur SSB and Bartz' cloak
Terra has a startdust rod burst weapon
Yshtola has an omnirod SSB and the stoneskin II SSB memorized, and healers robe unique
Yuna has a full metal rod SSB
Steiner has his excalibur SSB
Laguna has machine gun SSB
Zidane has a rank6 Orichalcum SSB dagger
Yda has Sphairai SSB
Vivi has the double cast poison and meteor uniques
Gilgamesh has Zantetsuken SSB

those are my regulars, which are really only regulars because SSBs are too powerful to swap out for a character with realm bonuses but no useful specials.

Of that list what would anyone suggest I use my MC3 on to help push me towards being strong enough to reliably unlock MC3s in the future

If you still care about xp and have the eggs, Luneth to 99 ASAP for that materia. Others can wait.

If you don't care about the XP materia, from that list, definitely Beatrix.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Not sure on whether to burn 5* orbs honing chain stonega to r2-3 or not, since I now have Maria's BSB but my main team tends to be pure physical damage so even with her self-buffing I'm not sure how often I'd want to bring Maria in those groups, and other times she'd probably be fine with r2 Quake and a honed up Stoneja.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How high do you guys take your breakdowns? I've seen people saying it isn't worth going above R2 for Power Breakdown and 3 for Magic Breakdown just because the latter is relevant more often and you probably won't have a fight go long enough to need more than 4 uses anyway, but I'm not sure. Power orbs are always in constant demand for me so I'd hate to use them if I don't need to. So far I've been fine with Power BD and Magic BD at R2 and 3 respectively, and I'm clearing U+ and U++ pretty consistently, so I guess it isn't needed, but I'm not sure if that changes down the line.

Mine went to R3 and Full Break to R2 but a few fights in the past saw me run out of uses with bosses nearly dead. Now between Vaan and Noel I rarely bring any because they cover atk/mag/def breakdowns via commands and Noel's BSB is full breakdown. If I still used them regularly I'd have the breakdowns at r4 by now.

Hi posted:

Beatrix, or Y'shtola unless you prefer using Tyro and have SG on him. A level 99 native Wall user is never a bad thing. Beatrix getting extra stats would do more to give you firepower for taking down U+ fights for future MC3s though.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Thanks for the advice friends!

edit: whats the veteran general materia? it says attacks have a slight chance of becoming saint cross?

Hi fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 31, 2016

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Hi posted:

edit: whats the veteran general materia? it says attacks have a slight chance of becoming saint cross?

Yeah, it's about 1/4 of the time that your normal attack becomes Saint Cross when you use it. Usually not worth it, since you wanna use your abilities and not your normal attack.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

If you're trying to look up more detailed statistics of how RMs work (and how a bunch of them are subtly useless), check out the PDF compendium of nearly everything in FFRK. It's an amazing resource to constantly have at your fingertips.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Hi posted:

Does anyone know how materia like that interacts with burst mode? Since you're technically using the attack command :v:

Also, for making Beatrix more powerful, would breaking Agrias for her lvl99 materia (+40% to knight damage, her BSB is coded as knight) be a better option than breaking Beatrix herself? I've done both but I'm an item hoarder and I'm asking for Hi's situation.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Adel posted:

Does anyone know how materia like that interacts with burst mode? Since you're technically using the attack command :v:

Also, for making Beatrix more powerful, would breaking Agrias for her lvl99 materia (+40% to knight damage, her BSB is coded as knight) be a better option than breaking Beatrix herself? I've done both but I'm an item hoarder and I'm asking for Hi's situation.

Agrias's Materia is definitely the materia of choice for Beatrix. (Unless you're using Lifesiphon a lot, in which case, consider Clouds - but why are you using lifesiphon more than 2-3 times when you have imperil holy and holy damage)

But breaking Agrias instead of Beatrix is not going to boost Beatrix more; going 80-99 is the biggest jump.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
We're like a month off from an ATK cap jump too, so levelling Beatrix first should definitely pay off better.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Can someone please provide a synopsis of the FFT-1 banner? Two relics on this banner return, and if I plan to pull I'd like to avoid having dupes.

Is TGCid a case where you need both his BSB and OSB to make him great? Or are there other means like a Powerchain or other ability to set him up if you just have one of his sbs?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

kalensc posted:

Can someone please provide a synopsis of the FFT-1 banner? Two relics on this banner return, and if I plan to pull I'd like to avoid having dupes.

Is TGCid a case where you need both his BSB and OSB to make him great? Or are there other means like a Powerchain or other ability to set him up if you just have one of his sbs?

Here's my subjective opinion of the FFT-1 banner: I love it, and will pull on it, but it's NOT a God banner.

Brief rundown of the items on it: Agrias' -50% ATK/MAG SB shield, Ovelia's Haste/High Regen SB robe, Ovelia's MBlink SSB staff, Mustadio's Penta Break SSB gun, Ovelia's Protectga/Shellga/2000 HP Stock SSB hat, Agrias' Enholy SSB shield, Agrias' Imperil Holy BSB sword, Orlandeau's BSB cloak and the grand prize, Orlandeau's Overstrike with Thunder God buff sword. The first three items and Agriascalibur are reissues, everything else is new. There are two things to be wary of, here. First, I don't much care for either of Ovelia's non-Princess Staff relics. Given the existence of Agrias in general and Shout in particular, they don't even really cover something notably useful for CMs, in a rare realm to boot. Not everybody has Shout and/or an Agrias relic but I'm sure many do, myself included, so there's a pair of duds here. Second, Orlandeau's BSB isn't what it looks like when you look at the damage numbers. According to number crunching done by people other than me, the long charge time eats away way more DPS than the unprecedented high multipliers would make you believe. It's better to just chain his OSB if you get that and there are a lot more BSBs who beat it in DPS than you might expect. That said, though, this banner is the Agrias show and she's a giant favorite of mine, I truly believe Cleansing Strike is an evergreen SB and her other two relics are fine additions, the Enholy SSB giving her a very good damage option against Holy-weak bosses and she's probably the best Holy Imperiler there is. And while the Orlandeau OSB will almost definitely recur during the Anniversary on a banner that will prove more competitive (JP anniversary banner 4 was as close to "god banner" status as it gets and will not survive to be anywhere near as good for us I'll bet) it's the best Physical OSB there is and if you want it to gently caress around with, there's enough value on the banner that it's worth pulling on.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Prav posted:

god i hope it's just a timer that runs game-time from battle start so we have a chance of keeping track of buffs

It's a built-in high score mode. And yes, it does record game time (paused during animations) and start the instant battle starts. We're all hoping it gets added as a regular feature, both for cool time attack type things and for the ability to time buffs and debuffs more accurately.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Who should I use my first NC3 on? Tyro, Ramza, Penelo, Bartz, or Gilgamesh? The first three have wall/shout/medica respectively and the last two have BSB

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Farg posted:

Who should I use my first NC3 on? Tyro, Ramza, Penelo, Bartz, or Gilgamesh? The first three have wall/shout/medica respectively and the last two have BSB

Probably Bartz. His RM4 is actually kinda useful (especially if you get more wind gear) and beefing up your BSB-havers is probably the best jump in damage you're gonna get right now. Tyro's RM4 isn't terrible either, but you are generally better off just using the other + elemental or weapon types most of the time, especially if you don't like swapping RMs around all the time. Generally speaking, the RMs that give boosts to elemental damage / weapon types / skill schools are all really strong.

edit: Assuming that's your A-team and you bring all those guys to most fights.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 31, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

pichupal posted:

We're like a month off from an ATK cap jump too, so levelling Beatrix first should definitely pay off better.
What's happening there? Is it going to 806 (8061.3 ≈ 6000, like 5901.3 ≈ 4000), or something else? At least such an increase to the softcap would make the difficulty 200+ bosses make more sense.

Edit: Come to think, why does Barret take less XP to level up than other characters? Just a goof in the players' favor that DeNA never corrected like with Yuffie's SSB?

Edit 2: Reno and Edea have the same quirk, but Zach doesn't - I guess that a subset of older characters have this? Nope, just a quirk in how I egged them initially to get them to ~20.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 31, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Adel posted:

Both scenarios replace the Attack command with a different skill entirely, and the burst takes priority. Since you're not using Attack any more, you're using [Command 1], it won't be replaced or affected by RMs that modify Attack.

Hi posted:

Everyone already mentioned Beatrix, but definitely consider burning a Lode on Y'shtola, too. It can't be overstated how much extra survivability a couple thousand HP brings you in that 80->99 leap.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is it worth crafting Thief's Revenge if the only actual thief SB I have is Rikku's Master Thief? Stacking more debuffs is always nice and I don't think I have anything else that does - Attack / Res, so I can definitely see her stepping up to the A-team once in a while when my monstrous stream of holy damage doesn't melt everything, but I dunno if Thief's Revenge is worth it just for that.

Normally I'd just do it, but god drat every 5-star physical skill in this game seems to require major wind orbs. Not sure if I'm better off dumping them into hones for Full Charge / Powerchain / Saint's Cross instead.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

NGDBSS posted:

What's happening there? Is it going to 806 (8061.3 ≈ 6000, like 5901.3 ≈ 4000), or something else? At least such an increase to the softcap would make the difficulty 200+ bosses make more sense.

Edit: Come to think, why does Barret take less XP to level up than other characters? Just a goof in the players' favor that DeNA never corrected like with Yuffie's SSB?

Edit 2: Reno and Edea have the same quirk, but Zach doesn't - I guess that a subset of older characters have this?

New ATK cap should be ~700, (7001.3 ≈ 5000). Another one just arrived in Japan to 805/806 though, although that'll be another 5/6 months or so.

For Barret, I think when he released his EXP curve was bugged and caused crashes, and while they could fix the crashes the levelling curve stayed the same. I think they planned on adjusting how much EXP he needed to get from 65 to 80, although I have no idea if they went through with it. I guess this is the same for Edea and Zack.

Is it worth crafting Thief's Revenge if the only actual thief SB I have is Rikku's Master Thief? Stacking more debuffs is always nice and I don't think I have anything else that does - Attack / Res, so I can definitely see her stepping up to the A-team once in a while when my monstrous stream of holy damage doesn't melt everything, but I dunno if Thief's Revenge is worth it just for that.

Normally I'd just do it, but god drat every 5-star physical skill in this game seems to require major wind orbs. Not sure if I'm better off dumping them into hones for Full Charge / Powerchain / Saint's Cross instead.

If it was anyone but Rikku I'd say maybe, but she already has a ridiculously flexible skill set with Bard 4 for Proshellga, Dancer 5 or Steal Power/Defense for debuffs, and Machinist 5 for status effects that she'll normally have both slots filled up with something to do in the fights you'd bring her in for. Unless you're drowning in orbs, I'd wait.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Just tapped out my roulette prizes. Was hoping for a 1 chip = 100 or even 10 gil but no just 1 gil...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man. Man With Ingus' BSB I kind of destroyed Ochu.

Tauntilate + Earth Element = Not even enough time for the first BSB to run out.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Decided to blow my 50 mythril in JPN on the VII banner, came back with Cid's Shout-clone and Rufus's SSB. I never get any of the flashy stuff over there any more. :(

I hope that isn't a bad sign for my XIV pulls tonight. I could use a pick-me-up for once.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Man. Man With Ingus' BSB I kind of destroyed Ochu.

Tauntilate + Earth Element = Not even enough time for the first BSB to run out.
Yeah, I'm liking the presentation of some of these "easier" difficulty 160 bosses. Not personally, since I'm at the point where only the highest challenges are still tricky, but it's good for the community to have breaks in the action that are more forgiving on both ability and player confidence.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008

How high do you guys take your breakdowns? I've seen people saying it isn't worth going above R2 for Power Breakdown and 3 for Magic Breakdown just because the latter is relevant more often and you probably won't have a fight go long enough to need more than 4 uses anyway, but I'm not sure. Power orbs are always in constant demand for me so I'd hate to use them if I don't need to. So far I've been fine with Power BD and Magic BD at R2 and 3 respectively, and I'm clearing U+ and U++ pretty consistently, so I guess it isn't needed, but I'm not sure if that changes down the line.

I personally have r4 power and magic breakdown, r3 armor breakdown, r3 mental breakdown. While you may not use all of those in a fight, you should because they can hit pretty hard.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Farg posted:

Tyro for sure. Level 99 Tyro is a durable omni-use character who can drop ~4k hp curajas even without synergy gear. Ramza's going to be in your team for a long time due to shout so that's not a bad secondary. Gilgamesh's BSB is great for physical heavy fights that draw attacks can work in. Butz is solid too. I'd say not to use it on Penelo because while medicas are nice, it's just a SB/SSB. If you get a BSB for someone like Eiko or another healer, that'd be a MC3 candidate due to being useful for a far longer amount of time.

I only have Tyro/Tidus/Ramza/Vaan/Agrias/Cloud set for level 99 (and Maria soon enough), with a half dozen or so MC3s sitting and waiting for use. Level 80 definitely is plenty for most things and there's no need to rush in picking MC3 recipients.

e: I'd have Noel at 99 but his MC3 is still a ways out for us unfortunately.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Here's my subjective opinion of the FFT-1 banner: I love it, and will pull on it, but it's NOT a God banner.

Brief rundown of the items on it: Agrias' -50% ATK/MAG SB shield, Ovelia's Haste/High Regen SB robe, Ovelia's MBlink SSB staff, Mustadio's Penta Break SSB gun, Ovelia's Protectga/Shellga/2000 HP Stock SSB hat, Agrias' Enholy SSB shield, Agrias' Imperil Holy BSB sword, Orlandeau's BSB cloak and the grand prize, Orlandeau's Overstrike with Thunder God buff sword. The first three items and Agriascalibur are reissues, everything else is new. There are two things to be wary of, here. First, I don't much care for either of Ovelia's non-Princess Staff relics. Given the existence of Agrias in general and Shout in particular, they don't even really cover something notably useful for CMs, in a rare realm to boot. Not everybody has Shout and/or an Agrias relic but I'm sure many do, myself included, so there's a pair of duds here. Second, Orlandeau's BSB isn't what it looks like when you look at the damage numbers. According to number crunching done by people other than me, the long charge time eats away way more DPS than the unprecedented high multipliers would make you believe. It's better to just chain his OSB if you get that and there are a lot more BSBs who beat it in DPS than you might expect. That said, though, this banner is the Agrias show and she's a giant favorite of mine, I truly believe Cleansing Strike is an evergreen SB and her other two relics are fine additions, the Enholy SSB giving her a very good damage option against Holy-weak bosses and she's probably the best Holy Imperiler there is. And while the Orlandeau OSB will almost definitely recur during the Anniversary on a banner that will prove more competitive (JP anniversary banner 4 was as close to "god banner" status as it gets and will not survive to be anywhere near as good for us I'll bet) it's the best Physical OSB there is and if you want it to gently caress around with, there's enough value on the banner that it's worth pulling on.

poo poo - I just realized I have everything on that banner except for Agrias BSB, Ovelia Proshellga, and the Orlandeau ones. Maybe I should only pull once...

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Gotta say that scheduling the most anticipated banner drop on the night most likely to prompt drunken impulse pulling is mad genius on DeNA's part.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Thanks! Good to know that there's caveats with the top prizes, I'll be able to spread out mythril a bit more evenly this winter.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

1st AD posted:

poo poo - I just realized I have everything on that banner except for Agrias BSB, Ovelia Proshellga, and the Orlandeau ones. Maybe I should only pull once...

You also would not have the Agrias enholy SSB, since it's debuting with the banner. Just in case that affects your decision at all.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Good luck tonight goons

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

1st AD posted:

That seems unlikely, since, other than Kaiser Shield, Ovelia's Proshellga, and MBlink, and Agrias BSB (two of which you say you don't have), all the relics on the banner are making their first appearance.

Piebald Hell
Apr 22, 2008
oh god oh god, brb as I frantically grind through the realms for mithril. :ohdear:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Yup, really hoping for some type of mithril gift. I have enough for one pull, but would really like to have enough for another before orbfest ends. Otherwise, might have to sacrifice a little of my orbfest time for a pull so I can level up any applicable characters and relics during crazy experience rush.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
If I could only make one pull, should I make it tonight or at ff14, and why

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Farg are you screech of the. because hi

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Farg posted:

If I could only make one pull, should I make it tonight or at ff14, and why

Both.

:ssh: Tonight is FF14

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:

CaptainPsyko posted:

Agrias's Materia is definitely the materia of choice for Beatrix. (Unless you're using Lifesiphon a lot, in which case, consider Clouds - but why are you using lifesiphon more than 2-3 times when you have imperil holy and holy damage)

But breaking Agrias instead of Beatrix is not going to boost Beatrix more; going 80-99 is the biggest jump.

Explain Imperil ? Basically her Lightbringer boosts holy damage and the Burst lowers holy resist? so I should load up on tons of holy damage knight abilities like Saint Cross?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Can someone give me a rundown of tonight's ff14 banner and why everyone is so hype for it?? Thx

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

fridge corn posted:

Can someone give me a rundown of tonight's ff14 banner and why everyone is so hype for it?? Thx
It is a really solid banner with a bunch of super good stuff on it and no duds. The worst things on there are wall, proshellga+high regen, and cura+esunaga (which owns in multiplayer) and the grand prizes are something tied for best healer BSB in the game, an incredibly good caster BSB, and a really good enholy support/knight BSB.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Hi posted:

Explain Imperil ? Basically her Lightbringer boosts holy damage and the Burst lowers holy resist? so I should load up on tons of holy damage knight abilities like Saint Cross?

So, the short version is, yeah, Imperil lowers the bosses holy resistance, which means once you've cast the SB once you should be using abilities that do holy damage like Saint's Cross whenever possible. It's not a huge buff (much smaller than en-element boosts, for example), but it's not nothing and it combos excellently with other knights who also have holy skillsnto bring to the table. The slightly sneaky part, is that once the boss is vulnerable to holy, your holy attacks will generate +50% SB gauge. Which makes them always a better choice than Lifesiphon afternyouve ijiially put up the imperil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It is a really solid banner with a bunch of super good stuff on it and no duds. The worst things on there are wall, proshellga+high regen, and cura+esunaga (which owns in multiplayer) and the grand prizes are something tied for best healer BSB in the game, an incredibly good caster BSB, and a really good enholy support/knight BSB.

cool thanks

• Locked thread