Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The book "How to DJ Right" was really helpful to me as a beginner. I think the only videos I watched were on beatmatching, I mostly find DJing videos to be tedious to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I can't believe I'm asking this but: What's the best place to buy top 40 vinyl records

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
what the gently caress are you supposed to do with your hands in a tech house set? you can't really mix two songs without it sounding like loving garbage, which is fine and all but you generally have to play almost the entire 8 minute long song and it gets super boring just standing there

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm assuming this is what's driving "innovation" behind all the stupid effects and color buttons on those horrible mixers

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Check your email on your phone.

Just like the audience.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I'm assuming this is what's driving "innovation" behind all the stupid effects and color buttons on those horrible mixers

hey the effects are super useful if you know when to use them! which is never with tech house because it's all about subtlety and slow buildups

and coloured LEDs are never a bad thing when it comes to raves/rave music

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

abuse culture. posted:

hey the effects are super useful if you know when to use them! which is never
correct

quote:

and coloured LEDs are never a bad thing when it comes to raves/rave music

I was talking about these buttons:

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Lmfao.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

fyi the "noise" button is very disappointing

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

abuse culture. posted:

what the gently caress are you supposed to do with your hands in a tech house set? you can't really mix two songs without it sounding like loving garbage, which is fine and all but you generally have to play almost the entire 8 minute long song and it gets super boring just standing there

You answer text messages asking if you can get people inside the club for free even though it's 1AM and the guest list was closed six hours ago.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

abuse culture. posted:

I like to jog over phrases of songs that are 8+ mins long. They usually have repeating phrases of a 4-16 beat loop where not much happens. If your know the song well enough you can skip over 1-2 minutes with no disernable impact on the mix. Also lets you play more song(s) in the end

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I can't believe I'm asking this but: What's the best place to buy top 40 vinyl records

Amazon/urban outfitters, or get timecodes.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Don't forget about Turntable Lab. They have a pretty good collection of records.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks everyone

def forgot about turntablelab

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

correct

I was talking about these buttons:

LPF filter is my best friend

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Commerz posted:

LPF filter is my best friend

Too bad on Pioneer mixers it's barely useful for mixing tracks with all that resonance. The DJM-850 is my favorite of their mixers to play on because of the sweep effect which actually does a decent job being subtle.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have a couple more basic questions, which I am pretty sure are real dumb but I'm very new to the world of pro audio. I'm using a Traktor S2 with Traktor Pro 2. I did go ahead and change laptops to a new MacBook Air per the advice here and it's been nice. My questions are about mixer configuration. I feel ridiculous asking some of these, but researching online isn't giving me answers I'm comfortable enough with either way.

1. Per the S2 manual, the software should pretty much always be set in External mixing mode for my setup, because the S2 constitutes an external mixer vs. mixing solely within the software, right?

2. Generally I would like to be running through a standalone (non-DJ, no crossfaders etc.) mixer after the S2 for redundancy reasons -- if I have a problem with the S2 while playing, I'd like to be able to quickly switch over to another input source, like the laptop line out or an iPod, so that a single hardware failure doesn't cause the whole night to be a problem. The venue I'm usually playing in has a mid-size mixer, and I have a tiny little 4-channel mixer of my own for use with monitors or hypothetically for playing elsewhere. Can I just run the S2 main outputs into an open channel on the mixer? Will that cause me any playback issues, latency, etc.? If it matters, I'm mostly DJing social dances, I don't need to beatmatch anything. I'd still like to know even if it won't really affect me, though.

3. Anything I should know about setting levels etc. that are specific to this setup? Any other configuration issues I should be aware of?

guppy fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 31, 2016

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

1. Yes

2. A standalone mixer is fine. Since it's another component in the chain it will slightly degrade the signal, but unless you bought a lovely mixer you aren't going to notice.

3. I'll leave this to someone who's used Traktor more

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
For #3, you have the option to enable/disable the autogain and limiter. Check the Preferences -> Mixer section.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Here are the settings I have set in Traktor that I've found helpful, for what it's worth (some of these might match defaults, idk):

Audio Setup -> Enable Multi-Core Processor Support
Loading -> Loading only into stopped deck
Loading -> Duplicate deck when loading same track
Transport -> Key Lock -> Quality -> HiQ
Decks Layout -> Platter/Scope -> Minimized
Decks Layout -> Misc -> Show Minute Markers
Decks Layout -> Misc -> Color Mode -> Spectrum
Decks Layout -> Deck Header -> Show Cover Art
Track Decks -> Deck Header

Mixer -> Level -> Enable Autogain (keep an eye on your gains if you turn this on, sometimes the detected autogain is wack)
Mixer -> Level -> *Disable* Limiter (I had a sound engineer tell me my signal was crap with the limiter on)
Mixer -> Level -> Headroom -> -3dB
File Management -> Determine track-time automatically
File Management -> Analyze new imported tracks
File Management -> Analyze new tracks when loaded into deck

Hope this is helpful for someone

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks all. One thing that seems a bit odd:

The manual appears to agree:

quote:

In case you already changed some settings in TRAKTOR before you start with these tutorials,
we strongly recommend you to reset your system to the initial settings by doing the following:
1. In the TRAKTOR software, click the Help menu in the menu bar at the top of your screen
(on Mac OS X) or at the top of the window (on Windows), and select Help > Start Setup
Wizard.
2. In the window that opens, click Next to confirm your S2 is connected.
3. The next window asks you whether you want to use an external mixer with TRAKTOR. Select Yes, as you will be using the controller's mixer for mixing with TRAKTOR.
4. The next window asks what combination of Deck Flavors you would like to use in TRAKTOR. Select 2 Track Decks + 2 Remix Decks from the drop-down menu, and click Next.
5. Click Finish to confirm your selection and close the Setup Wizard.
→ TRAKTOR is now optimized for use with your S2 controller.
One more thing: Using an external mixer, TRAKTOR assumes you do not want to see the software mixer on the user interface. But we do want to see what's happening in the software's
mixer when controlling it from the S2. So what we need to do now is change TRAKTOR's interface appearance with the Layout selection drop-down menu in the following way:

But the reality seems to be different. In external mixing mode, mixing functions controlled by S2/software seem to be disabled -- even channel faders and the crossfader! -- as does the cue/headphone jack on the S2. Putting it back in internal mode, all of these functions work again. So I think if I want to use the S2 I basically have no choice but to use internal mixing mode. That's fine with me as long as internal mixing mode won't cause any problems by then running into a house mixer.

Baffling to me that the controller's own manual literally does not correctly describe how the controller works. Or am I missing something? It's not like the software and the controller are made by different companies. Maybe things have changed since the manual was written? I think I read somewhere that the gain knobs in the software and the gain knobs on the S2 are entirely independent, but in internal mode it looks like the one controls the other directly.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like the setup process is entirely different now from (I assume) when the manual was written. The setup wizard no longer asks if you want to use an external mixer. At any rate, no, you definitely don't want to set Traktor to external mixing mode if you want to use an S2.

guppy fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 1, 2017

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Yeah, I don't know why the manual would have ever stated that. External mixing mode should only be used if you are actually controlling your mixing outside of traktor (e.g. when using an audio interface with or without scratch control). Since the controllers like the S2 and S4 only have one main output, it would be impossible to use them in this fashion

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Apparently Denon is coming out with a new CDJ clone as well as a high end mixer and turntable that isn't a super oem.

I'll be interested to see how the turntable pans out. If it's better than the Super OEMs I might grab one for my second turntable instead of refurbishing another 1200.

e: Actually at $899 usd it better be better than a 1200 lol

susan b buffering fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 11, 2017

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

revmoo posted:

My Traktor Audio 6 poo poo the bed this weekend.

My Kontrol Z2 I bought to replace the A6 just poo poo the bed.

:(

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

vanilla slimfast posted:

Hope this is helpful for someone

Lost my traktor settings and re-did them today, this was a good reference. I never had the limiter off so we'll see how it goes this weekend.

edit: Anyone know why traktor is dropping a cue point at every place I'm trying to place a beat marker? I never had this happen before fixed it, there was an option for it.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 14, 2017

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Heading to a local bar tomorrow night that has been doing "open decks wednesdays" for about a month to see what the competition is like. Only issue if I do give it a shot (first time playing outside of house parties), is they have CDJ-2000's which I've never used :smith:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

They work the same as any other CDJ so if you're confident using those then you're fine. It's just they have all the bells and whistles added on top of that of the most basic CDJ models and can appear rather daunting. They're really not though!

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Fenarisk posted:

Heading to a local bar tomorrow night that has been doing "open decks wednesdays" for about a month to see what the competition is like. Only issue if I do give it a shot (first time playing outside of house parties), is they have CDJ-2000's which I've never used :smith:

Biggest challenge for me after not being on them for a long, long time was the cue buttons. I completely forgot how to set cues and was jumping all over the place.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Fenarisk posted:

takes all of 5 minutes to get the feel down if you're used to vinyl or a decent controller & don't use sync. they're p straight forward.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
CDJ's don't have sync?

I mean, I'm glad I learned on vinyl and I often will grab the pitch fader and make fixes halfway through a mix when the sync fucks up, but I couldn't imagine not having it at this point.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The CDJ 2000 doesn't have sync. That was introduced with the nexus line iirc.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I'm used to my DDJ-SX for the past 6 months (numark mixtrack pro 2 before), and I don't use Sync. My issue is worrying about the cue function and looping function since those are so readily available and easy on my SX. The one bonus is with rekordbox I can at least set my cue points ahead of time for my tracks and bring them already formatted on the USB.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I feel this a deserves a second reply, went and a couple cool dudes playing, mostly my genre of music, got to talking and seeing the equipment since it wasn't really crowded (like 20 people in the bar, all cool).

This tiny little bar has two CDJ 2000 Nexus 2's and the newest DJM mixer. I'm doing this poo poo next week just to get my hands on those because it'll never happen again in my life.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Fenarisk posted:

I feel this a deserves a second reply, went and a couple cool dudes playing, mostly my genre of music, got to talking and seeing the equipment since it wasn't really crowded (like 20 people in the bar, all cool).

This tiny little bar has two CDJ 2000 Nexus 2's and the newest DJM mixer. I'm doing this poo poo next week just to get my hands on those because it'll never happen again in my life.

whoever puts on the night, it is very likely their personal decks/mixer.

skull mask mcgee posted:

The CDJ 2000 doesn't have sync. That was introduced with the nexus line iirc.

good

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

For the 10 millionth time, beat matching requires about 1 hour to learn for most people, 2 hours at the most, with a few hours of practice getting it down pretty good.

It's not some extremely difficult technical maneuver that takes 80 hours a week of practice that only a few people in the world can do, so let's please stop acting like it's some kind of good thing when it's not there.

Lets be honest, DJs were already a dime a dozen before the sync button came out, yet people keep acting like it was THE END and now everyone is going to be a DJ, and you can still see the artifacts of that today.

e: I realize the mild irony of me posting this :saddowns:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
If you didn't have a superiority complex, you wouldn't be a dj.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

mitztronic posted:

For the 10 millionth time, beat matching requires about 1 hour to learn for most people, 2 hours at the most, with a few hours of practice getting it down pretty good.

I learned on Numarks so it took me more like six months to learn how to beat match. Once I finally used a set of 1200s I was like "Oh, this makes so much more sense"

Anyway I don't believe you can teach beatmatching in an hour. You can definitely teach someone how to teach themselves beatmatching in an hour, but I think most people would need a few weeks of practice to really get it down. I could see how someone already pre-disposed to tracking rhythym, e.g. a drummer, could do it in a day, but that's uncommon.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Yeah pretty much everyone I know that has picked up manual beatmatching took at least a few weeks of practice. If it only took an hour, way more people would do it I think.

On that note, beatmatching records is so satisfying. Getting my 1200 finally fixed was the best Christmas present I've ever given myself.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

skull mask mcgee posted:

On that note, beatmatching records is so satisfying.

I agree with you there, to a point. I learned on turntables and it was extremely satisfying in the beginning, but for me at least, that satisfaction started to fade. For me it's now more satisfying when the two songs mix excellently together, and the fact of them being beatmatched isn't that exciting. Which of course isn't to say when phasing gets off that it's a complete trainwreck and the opposite of 'exciting'.

quote:

Yeah pretty much everyone I know that has picked up manual beatmatching took at least a few weeks of practice. If it only took an hour, way more people would do it I think.
Sorry I don't think I wrote that sentence well: An hour or two <to pick it up/be able to beatmatch your first few songs>, and a few hours of practice <spread out over different sessions>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I started with Sync for the first six months learning the ins and outs, and then got mad when I couldn't mix songs cleanly where I know they would work but Traktor was all "nope the beatgrid is god", plus I find it fun to manually beatmatch or fix little things through the transitions. I would say it took me a solid 4 months of practicing a few hours a week to get it down, and even now I do it as often as I can (just beatmatching random poo poo, not mixing) to hone it. It definitely takes some practice or maybe I'm a real sad brains I dunno.

I find phrasing/lining up songs properly to be much harder, like those times you know what you want but it's like that horrific 2-3 seconds where one ends and the other hasn't kicked in fully yet.