Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blue Train posted:

Dragging the spacebar to move the cursor works and is nice but I feel like it could still be improved
Except if you hold it for too long it activates the drat language switcher instead. Google :bang: .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

Dragging the spacebar to move the cursor works and is nice but I feel like it could still be improved

How did I not know this

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Never change OnePlus.

They promised 7.0 to the 3 and 3T before the end of the year. So, what do they do?

First beta went live this afternoon for the 3T and they are saying they are going to roll stable builds to everyone starting this evening.

Huh?

http://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-3t-nougat-beta-now-available-company-misses-update-deadline

I wonder how many times the term "daily driver" got flung around.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
So I'm about a month outside of the warranty on my newly-bootlooping Nexus 5X (my wife's actually, making this even more awesome). What are the chances LG or Google will make us whole? Purchased through the Google store.

VV Yeah, I've started the process, just curious if anyone has been in the same situation already.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 31, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

So I'm about a month outside of the warranty on my newly-bootlooping Nexus 5X (my wife's actually, making this even more awesome). What are the chances LG or Google will make us whole? Purchased through the Google store.

There's only one way to find out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The G4 play is the first phone I've seen in ages that actually gives you access to the FM radio that's baked into the CPU, that's pretty cool. Most carriers turn off the FM radio functionality entice you to use up your monthly data limit on stuff like Pandora so you feel pressure to upgrade your plan.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does the pixel have an unlocked FM chip?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

sirbeefalot posted:

VV Yeah, I've started the process, just curious if anyone has been in the same situation already.

These posts about 5Xs going bad are upsetting. My friend asked me for a recommendation on a ~$200 phone a couple months ago. The 5X was all I really knew about, and he liked the idea of Fi since he uses almost no mobile data and it'll save him money. Less than a week after he activated it, he said it wouldn't turn on. They sent him a refurbished one as a replacement (he was not pleased with that).

I already feel guilty that I suggested what sounds to be a crappy phone to my friend. I'm not sure what other options there were before November, though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

incogneato posted:

These posts about 5Xs going bad are upsetting. My friend asked me for a recommendation on a ~$200 phone a couple months ago. The 5X was all I really knew about, and he liked the idea of Fi since he uses almost no mobile data and it'll save him money. Less than a week after he activated it, he said it wouldn't turn on. They sent him a refurbished one as a replacement (he was not pleased with that).

I already feel guilty that I suggested what sounds to be a crappy phone to my friend. I'm not sure what other options there were before November, though.

Moto G4?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Yeah, I mean I guess that's what I should have done. It's a bit late now, though. I thought I had read earlier this year in this thread that the 5X was regarded as the best cheap phone if you got it with the Fi discount. Maybe the issues weren't as widespread at that point, or maybe I just hadn't paid attention.

Basically I should have done more research and now I feel bad. :smith:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

incogneato posted:

Yeah, I mean I guess that's what I should have done. It's a bit late now, though. I thought I had read earlier this year in this thread that the 5X was regarded as the best cheap phone if you got it with the Fi discount. Maybe the issues weren't as widespread at that point, or maybe I just hadn't paid attention.

Until the bootlocking hit, it was, but some goons here were recommending it even after the bootlocking issues came out because doing otherwise would upset their Google waifu. Even before though, the battery life was poo poo. There's a reason LG didn't make any 5X phones after the initial production run last year and no longer has any parts, the phone was a total flop.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

incogneato posted:

Don't feel too bad, it will probably end up failing and he'll get his money back which he can use on a Pixel.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, at least he's under warranty for a while yet

(I'm getting a replacement which will go on Swappa immediately)

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
My 5X was one month out of warranty. LG said they would repair it; then they said they would refund me; then by surprise they shipped it back to me fully repaired. This process took several weeks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Should have taken it to the Lucky Goldstore.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Should have taken it to the Lucky Goldstore.

Wait...Apple has stores??

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i have a first gen moto X and i am all of a sudden having weird issues

it changed the lockscreen on me? kind of? if i double click on a notification and the lock pattern shows up it will unlock but if i go into system the same pattern won't let me change the pattern. and if i use the lock screen normally it also tells me it's invalid using the same pattern

it's also re-compiling all of the apps every time i turn it off and on. i did a factory reset in the (stock) bootloader but it still says i have the same number of apps so im not sure it did that right

i swear if its some sort of software dead switch im going to be upset because the spare phone i have is a 2013 moto g :negative:

e: alright so the 'factory reset' doesn't reset it to factory, the lock screen is still there except now it's not connecting to cell service and there's a notification that says 'the commserver started'

what the gently caress. i cant remote wipe it via android device manager since it's not connected to the internet now

e2: commserver is some weird thing that happens if you're using a charger too powerful apparently, i was using an ipad charger so that explains that. unplugging it and restarting made it work so i device manager erased it. weird.

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 1, 2017

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

nigga crab pollock posted:

i have a first gen moto X and i am all of a sudden having weird issues

it changed the lockscreen on me? kind of? if i double click on a notification and the lock pattern shows up it will unlock but if i go into system the same pattern won't let me change the pattern. and if i use the lock screen normally it also tells me it's invalid using the same pattern

it's also re-compiling all of the apps every time i turn it off and on. i did a factory reset in the (stock) bootloader but it still says i have the same number of apps so im not sure it did that right

i swear if its some sort of software dead switch im going to be upset because the spare phone i have is a 2013 moto g :negative:

It's possible that the flash storage is dying. I've killed a few cheap phones doing Perk and other earning services that seem to write data to the phone 24/7 in a year or two. Usually they exhibit weird behavior like you described for a while and if they can keep running they'll eventually have a failure on boot due to the file system corrupting.

Sometimes a factory reset will get them working normally for a while longer, but if they're about out of flash writes then the reset will make it worse or never complete.

You should definitely back up anything important because it could die anytime.

On some Moto G phones I wore out the flash on, I was able to get replacement main boards on eBay for $7. The Moto x is a little harder to work on but it's not impossible if you love the phone to find parts and swap it out. It'll be a new phone except for case, screen, battery, etc though so you should consider if it's worth the effort versus long for a replacement.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rexxed posted:

It's possible that the flash storage is dying. I've killed a few cheap phones doing Perk and other earning services that seem to write data to the phone 24/7 in a year or two. Usually they exhibit weird behavior like you described for a while and if they can keep running they'll eventually have a failure on boot due to the file system corrupting.

Sometimes a factory reset will get them working normally for a while longer, but if they're about out of flash writes then the reset will make it worse or never complete.

You should definitely back up anything important because it could die anytime.

On some Moto G phones I wore out the flash on, I was able to get replacement main boards on eBay for $7. The Moto x is a little harder to work on but it's not impossible if you love the phone to find parts and swap it out. It'll be a new phone except for case, screen, battery, etc though so you should consider if it's worth the effort versus long for a replacement.

i'm not really concerned about any data on it since it was all backed up anyways, but is there an app to test the flash storage if it manages to turn back on?

i've already replaced the plastic back and ripped off the glue so it probably shouldn't an issue but there aren't any tmobile motherboards on ebay and the rest of them are like $70, which with a new battery is the price of a new phone :/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm not sure of any app to check the flash writes and lifespan. You could try shopping eBay for cracked screen phones to disassemble but you never know the full extent of the damage on those.

It's probably time to shop for a new phone. The Moto G4 play is pretty inexpensive, or the Nexus 5X. If money is no object, get a pixel.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 1, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

it's also re-compiling all of the apps every time i turn it off and on.

This is a bug that isn't getting fixed. The only workaround is to make sure the phone is unplugged if you have to reboot it, then it doesn't recompile everything.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
well it's turned back on but for some reason i don't have mobile data. weird. i double-checked the apn too and made sure my account wasn't lapsed or anything

i'm probably gonna buy a 5x off of one of my friends but i at least want like a half functional phone until i get it

it's kind of weird that it died suddenly with no prior indicators of failure though

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

well it's turned back on but for some reason i don't have mobile data. weird. i double-checked the apn too and made sure my account wasn't lapsed or anything

i'm probably gonna buy a 5x off of one of my friends but i at least want like a half functional phone until i get it

it's kind of weird that it died suddenly with no prior indicators of failure though

You could try reinstalling the sim card, although I thought you'd usually have a notification if it had sim card issues. If the flash is really going then it will just act all weird and hosed up until it dies, though.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Why get a 5x when they are randomly boot looping?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jigoku posted:

Why get a 5x when they are randomly boot looping?

excitement and the thrill of spontaneity

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I have a 5X and have been enjoying it. If I get unlucky and it bricks, what's a good phone in the $300 range that is stock or close to stock android? I'd like a pixel but I don't want it bad enough to spend $700.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Moto g4 or g4 plus

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm guessing Google comes out with a 5x replacement by the end of the year since otherwise $400 for a 6P isn't a great starting point for someone wanting to try Fi

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Jesus christ, I accidentally stuck my s-pen in backwards in my Note 5 and bricked the lever that detects the pen. This has got to be the dumbest design possible. Anyone run into this and is this something Samsung will warranty (haha)?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EugeneJ posted:

I'm guessing Google comes out with a 5x replacement by the end of the year since otherwise $400 for a 6P isn't a great starting point for someone wanting to try Fi
More likely they'll open Fi up to some third-party devices.

Google made it pretty clear with the Pixel where they see their hardware going and it isn't budget devices.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Jesus christ, I accidentally stuck my s-pen in backwards in my Note 5 and bricked the lever that detects the pen. This has got to be the dumbest design possible. Anyone run into this and is this something Samsung will warranty (haha)?

How even

One end has a point, the other doesn't

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Hadlock posted:

The G4 play is the first phone I've seen in ages that actually gives you access to the FM radio that's baked into the CPU, that's pretty cool. Most carriers turn off the FM radio functionality entice you to use up your monthly data limit on stuff like Pandora so you feel pressure to upgrade your plan.

Galaxy s7 and s7 edge have fm, at least with att. I think verizon turned it off or maybe it was t mobile.

Just gotta plug in headphones to act as the antenna.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

PerrineClostermann posted:

How even

It fell out of the phone, I blind grabbed it and threw it back in while half asleep in bed. The bigger question is, how even should a phone break because a pen is inserted backwards, it's not like I had to force it in, basic loving keying should be engineered if direction can break something.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I remember that cropping up around the time the Note 5 was released. I thought there was supposed to be some sort of fix? In any case, it's definitely a known issue. To the public, who knows about Samsung.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

hooah posted:

I remember that cropping up around the time the Note 5 was released. I thought there was supposed to be some sort of fix? In any case, it's definitely a known issue. To the public, who knows about Samsung.

The fix was a sticker saying don't do it

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Wacky Delly posted:

Hey, other than battery life, the gnex wasn't that bad. (the battery life was terrible)

(triggered)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

"The problem, gentlemen, is that no one is making money selling Android phones," said the CEO. Raised eyebrows and murmurs go around table.

EugeneJ clears his throat and in seconds all eyes are on him. "The problem, gentlemen," he said, "is that we aren't selling them cheaply enough. Face it, selling a phone at a price above our cost to make it can't work long term. We need to go back to selling a $500 phone for $250."

"But if we're losing money on every unit, how will we ever make money?"

"Volume."

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Blue Train posted:

The fix was a sticker saying don't do it

Hah, never even got one of those as I bought mine when they came out, and I'm on my second due to a 1 foot drop which also didn't have that warning.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

How even

Are you blaming the user for poor device design?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LastInLine posted:

"The problem, gentlemen, is that no one is making money selling Android phones," said the CEO. Raised eyebrows and murmurs go around table.

EugeneJ clears his throat and in seconds all eyes are on him. "The problem, gentlemen," he said, "is that we aren't selling them cheaply enough. Face it, selling a phone at a price above our cost to make it can't work long term. We need to go back to selling a $500 phone for $250."

"But if we're losing money on every unit, how will we ever make money?"

"Volume."

So are the overpriced phones a way for Google to promote Fi, or is Fi a way for Google to promote overpriced phones?