Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Borrow a vac truck from work :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

I have a wood stove in my basement that I haven't used in a couple years. I think the chimney is plugged. I tried to "burn out" whatever was in the chimney and it pretty much ruined my romantic evening.

Is there a way to unplug it without yanking the fucker apart ?

No dude.....don't try to burn it out. If a proper chimney sweep + camera inspection is somehow out of the question you can at least drop some chains down there (which is what we do in the FD to knock the poo poo out during a chimney fire). But seriously.....do it right, which is a pain in the rear end and the right stuff cost more than hiring someone. So just hire it done right.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Powershift posted:

Gas is 108.9 everyfuckin where and it's supposed to go up 4.5 cents tomorrow if they're not just loving us early to skim a days worth of carbon taxes motherfuckers.

If it does, that'll put gas at 113.4 with oil under half the price the last time it was there. If oil climbs back up to $100/barrel we're gonna be at $2 a liter.

Yep. loving blows. We're creeping up here in Ontario to. As of tomorrow its another few cents a liter.

Not that things aren't already expensive enough :P

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Siochain posted:

Yep. loving blows. We're creeping up here in Ontario to. As of tomorrow its another few cents a liter.

Not that things aren't already expensive enough :P

But we make it here!

You don't see saskatchwaners paying out the rear end for grain or northern ontarioans paying out the rear end for meth or winnipeggers paying out the rear end for misery.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Motronic posted:

No dude.....don't try to burn it out. If a proper chimney sweep + camera inspection is somehow out of the question you can at least drop some chains down there (which is what we do in the FD to knock the poo poo out during a chimney fire). But seriously.....do it right, which is a pain in the rear end and the right stuff cost more than hiring someone. So just hire it done right.

K, this chimney was added and framed after the house was built. The chimney goes straight up from the stove, does a 90* out the wall, then another 90 straight up the outside of the house. I have one of those brush things I guess I just need to put it on the end of a snake or something ?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

Gas is 108.9 everyfuckin where and it's supposed to go up 4.5 cents tomorrow if they're not just loving us early to skim a days worth of carbon taxes motherfuckers.

If it does, that'll put gas at 113.4 with oil under half the price the last time it was there. If oil climbs back up to $100/barrel we're gonna be at $2 a liter.

I'm fairly certain 2017 is the year that I'm going to punch somebody when they say that he issue isn't a lack of refineries.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Happy New year, you bunch of fine human beings.:toot:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

K, this chimney was added and framed after the house was built. The chimney goes straight up from the stove, does a 90* out the wall, then another 90 straight up the outside of the house. I have one of those brush things I guess I just need to put it on the end of a snake or something ?

That sounds easy. So yeah, pull the 90s and get that brush through there (annually) on whatever you need to make it go far enough. Pull the outside 90 and jam it down the chimney from the top, pull the inside and jam it outside, then close of the stove and jam it down (that's gonna be the messy part....let the dust settle before you open it back up).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Out of nowhere for you guys, but have any of you noticed Certs in stores? You know those little mint things kind of like lifesavers? My stepdad loves them but he seems to think they are discontinued. I haven't seen any in the couple stores I checked either so he might be right.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Out of nowhere for you guys, but have any of you noticed Certs in stores? You know those little mint things kind of like lifesavers? My stepdad loves them but he seems to think they are discontinued. I haven't seen any in the couple stores I checked either so he might be right.

I will keep an eye out. Wikipedia doesn't seem to indicate that anything other than the Classic Fruit flavour has been discontinued, and those ubernerds are definitely going to be on top of a candy shortage.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I don't think they come in the little foil tubes anymore, that's probably what's he's looking for.

They do, however, come in plastic bags and each mint is larger and individually wrapped.

At least, that's how I buy the spearmint and peppermint kinds (pep-o-mint maybe? I don't keep track.)

Look in the candy/snack aisle, not the impulse buy section at the register.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Yeah, gas has gone up about 15%+ the past week down here, without the Carbon Tax.

I salute you. I do not envy anyone doing that job. Roofing and dry-walling are probably my 2 least enjoyable things to get my hands dirty doing not that I've done them a ton.

Interesting about the GAF - every roofing company I have spoken to that sells anything but the IKO really has nothing good to say about them, other than "it's what everyone sells here" and that they're the cheapest. GAFs are not an small premium to them.. around 20%? Surprising they used to actually be cheaper. Maybe they were different then?

I'll probably be going with the Owens-Corning shingles anyhow. They are guaranteeing no blow-off to 210KPH which if that happens we're going to have bigger things to worry about.

I just realized I'm dumb as gently caress and confused GAF with BP. it was BP that were the lovely handstabbers. GAF seemed really good but we barely used them - only when builders spec'd them and always their architectural shingles. That reminds me - what's code down there for shingles? It seemed like 95% of the houses in Lethbridge used those interlocking shingles, which absolutely makes sense but was surprising to me since they're super expensive. And apparently discontinued.

Fun fact: I hate mudding and taping drywall, and it's pretty much the only thing I'll pay someone else to do in my house. I'll gladly pay some poor rear end in a top hat to do it because I hate it so so much.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Car related post: I'm looking for an outside door handle for the front left door of my Avalanche. Apparently the previous owner is a loving moron who had replaced the only keyed door handle with one that has no key, which resulted in me being unable to open my loving truck without having the door jimmied because my battery died and it also has a remote start system that loses its memory when the battery dies and jesus loving christ this is why keyless poo poo is so stupid.

So, if anyone can help me find one (apparently shared by most 07-13 Chev trucks and SUV's) that's any color but chrome (preferably black) that includes the lock tumbler and action bar I'd be very grateful.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

Car related post: I'm looking for an outside door handle for the front left door of my Avalanche. Apparently the previous owner is a loving moron who had replaced the only keyed door handle with one that has no key, which resulted in me being unable to open my loving truck without having the door jimmied because my battery died and it also has a remote start system that loses its memory when the battery dies and jesus loving christ this is why keyless poo poo is so stupid.

So, if anyone can help me find one (apparently shared by most 07-13 Chev trucks and SUV's) that's any color but chrome (preferably black) that includes the lock tumbler and action bar I'd be very grateful.

If you're cool with an old one I'm reasonably certain SSSwitch and I can find one at picknpull next time we go.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

If you're cool with an old one I'm reasonably certain SSSwitch and I can find one at picknpull next time we go.

Yeah we should be able to find something that interchanges with the Avalanche.

If you need it sooner rather than later just get it from RA (get a discount code if you don't already have one) or eBay, that is a very common truck.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I think there's still a gmt900 in 52nd (there were a couple, one got crushed for sure), base model work trucks with the textured black door handles though.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I'm specifically looking for a used one because for some reason new lock tumblers are ungodly expensive even from RA.

If anyone feels like helping, I need the first set of handles, not the second ones with the bezel.

https://imgur.com/a/SYsnr

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Me not owning this truck has conclusively proven that I'm a failure in every way

Look upon some redneck's works, ye mighty

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

Me not owning this truck has conclusively proven that I'm a failure in every way

Look upon some redneck's works, ye mighty

I want that for reasons that I cannot enunciate.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I want that for reasons that I cannot enunciate.

Mctinkerson and I were just talking about this today:

I drove a late 60's 3-ton GMC dump when I was a roofer and it was probably one of the most fun vehicles I've driven in my life

I'd desperately love to own one but it's even more impractical than a Dorito or a rear engined German sports car

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Practicality in vehicles is over rated, so long as you have other vehicles to cover your needs.

loving buy that truck, is what I'm getting at.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I really want to justify something dumb and incredibly unnecessary like that for my next purchase but I just don't have it in me until I'm done de-loving that Mazda.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 3, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's cool as hell but $9K is too much.

e: I am the guy that shovels his driveway and sidewalk and puts all the snow in the street, only to get stuck in it when I back out of my driveway.

ffs how are people so stupid?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 3, 2017

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Chimney update. Took it apart and it was clean. Used electricians fish tape and a bunch of abortion jokes until the girlfriend left.

Then I looked inside the stove, 3" of compressed ash. Got the shop vac out, sucked it all up and now it's perfect. I don't know how ash on the floor of the stove causes it to smoke out everywhere but that fixed it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Is there any particularly "good" place to get a trailer? The whole kart in a van situation is beginning to become untenable.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Like buy? There are several places that sell small quality utility trailers. We have a couple down here.
http://www.flaman.com/trailers/

I'd be scouring Kijiji personally.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

1500quidporsche posted:

Is there any particularly "good" place to get a trailer? The whole kart in a van situation is beginning to become untenable.

Kijiji for sure. Or Princess auto and build it yourself.

Anyone want to make a wonderfully bad purchase?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/1982-mazda-rx7-turbo-2-swap/1227874845?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Plenty of "hunter special" beat up old RVs out there for cheap that you can gut.

Look for one with a bed/table up front so you have a place in the shade to chill out in between races.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The RV thing is tempting but I'm not sure how well keeping one at the track permanently would go over and I'm kinda done with having to maintain three vehicles with no garage. The scirocco is giving off a pretty strong death rattle vibe and my parents want to get rid of their old corolla that should tow a small trailer and the kart so the timing is just sort of lining up to go that route in spring and get rid of the van at the same time.

Kijiji is my first choice but from what I've seen so at the prices on used ones aren't much lower than used ones of similar specs and I'm looking for something so ridiculously specific that it may end up being easier to bite the bullet and get one built. In an ideal world I'd like to get a real turd on the cheap that I could just limp to the track in strathmore and could make roadworthy at a later date if needed.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So are you talking a small enclosed trailer, or just an open flat bed utility then?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Small odd trailers always pop up at CPA and michener allen for a couple hundred bucks. you might be able to find something crazy cheap that you could modify to work.

wait, what am i talking about. Sawzall the corolla into a ute.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 4, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Honestly picking up something from auction on the extreme cheap that I can just barely drag to strathmore would be the best solution.

Slung Blade posted:

So are you talking a small enclosed trailer, or just an open flat bed utility then?

Just a small enclosed one, thinking 6x8 or 6x10 and ideally tall enough for a 6'2 man to stand up inside it. I really just want a setup where I just drag the kart out with minimal hassle and can work on the kart inside if its raining. The van has the right amount of storage, its just a pain in the rear end to get your hands on poo poo when the kart needs work.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I finally have the Scavenger Hunt Picture Items & Points list complete. It is also location agnostic. So we don't have to do it in Edmonton. Pick a weekend people! And a location!

The last one that I ran began at noon and ended at 1800 at a restaurant. Depending on how serious you guys would like to make this, there can be a buy in which would cover food and potentially trophies.

Here's a rundown:

-Each vehicle is the team (that way it's family friendly, the more the merrier. Also allows driver rotations.)
-Every team gets a list of items grouped by difficulty. The easy items to get pictures of are worth one point while the most difficult ones are worth 7. (There are seven groups of 7 pictures.)
-An extra point awarded for any picture where the vehicle and all team members are in the shot.

For instance: "2 points: Get a picture of a car doing a burnout."
There is always artistic license allowed. So you could have one team member hop out and you light up your drive wheels. That get's you 2 points.
OR
You get another team to take the shot with all team members in the picture. That get's you 3 points.
BUT
If the team that took the picture also submits said image as theirs, then neither team gets any points. (That's another rule btw)

How are pictures submitted? Twitter. Take the picture and tag my account along with the picture description as the caption. I'll have a list of all the teams twitter accounts and I'll total it all up.

The goal is to get as many points in the allotted time frame. Has been six hours, can be more / can be less. However it ideally should not be possible to get all pictures on the list since then some strategy is required.

It's super simple, fairly easy for me to accomplish and since I make every driver put their DL in a sealed envelope in the glove box, NOT a race and thus doesn't require any special insurance.

I'm open to any other rules as well. It's really meant as a fun day bombing around in our hoopties.

As usual, I'm sure I'll be able to elaborate more but that's a fairly decent summary. I'm pretty flexible as far as locations and dates, so it's really up to you guys. We should have at least three teams though.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

This weekend and next are busy for me, and I don't think SSSwitch is up for anything this week.

Perhaps towards the end of the month or the start of February?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pure death ice from GP to Clearwater. Hauling a side by side and 2 ATV's in a 30' cargo trailer and the brakes on the trailer stopped working. It's easy to stay awake when the road wants to kill you every time you touch the brakes.

Averaging 24L/100km.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Why doesn't anyone use plug-in interior heaters? We had one in a work truck 10 years ago and it was the greatest thing ever. In the morning your car was toasty warm inside and the windows were all clear. No scraping ever. Just another cord to plug in along with the block heater.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

Why doesn't anyone use plug-in interior heaters? We had one in a work truck 10 years ago and it was the greatest thing ever. In the morning your car was toasty warm inside and the windows were all clear. No scraping ever. Just another cord to plug in along with the block heater.

I think Princess Auto has a sale on them this week.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

I think it's because mice really like to nest in them.

Go eight months without using it only to plug it in one night without cleaning the element and your truck turns into a California summer.

I'm sure they're totally fine so long as people check them first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I could certainly see some insurance companies having issues with those heaters assuming lowest common denominator intelligence of the owners. Speaking of which, anyone need a NOS BNIB 13B block heater?