Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mods I installed:
HD reworked - doesn't overhaul the entire game it just makes some rocks and fences look nicer
No Dirty Lens Effect
Better Torches - lets you use signs and climb ladders and so on with a torch, although you still need to put it away to Strong Attack
SkipMovies - Skips intro movies
All Quest Objectives On Map - this should be in the base game, really helps you figure out what you wanna do next

All the above don't hurt a first runthrough of the game at all.

I also installed the Griffin Set Redesign because I'm using it and it turns the Griffin set grey/black like other sets instead of the ugly green it normally is. You'll understand when you see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bewilderment posted:

Mods I installed:
HD reworked - doesn't overhaul the entire game it just makes some rocks and fences look nicer
No Dirty Lens Effect
Better Torches - lets you use signs and climb ladders and so on with a torch, although you still need to put it away to Strong Attack
SkipMovies - Skips intro movies
All Quest Objectives On Map - this should be in the base game, really helps you figure out what you wanna do next

All the above don't hurt a first runthrough of the game at all.

I also installed the Griffin Set Redesign because I'm using it and it turns the Griffin set grey/black like other sets instead of the ugly green it normally is. You'll understand when you see it.

I don't use the Torch mod, but I do use the jump in shallow water mod.
And goddamn, lensflare is loving dumb. :argh:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 30, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Drifter posted:

Jump in shallow water is a loving godsend.

I'd only really use auto apply oils with a controller, otherwise the inventory isn't clunky enough that I find it's that necessary. Just get the better oil icon mod suggested earlier.

The big one that everyone should use regardless of whether it's your first playthrough or not is Indestructible Items - No More Weapon Degradation. Just gently caress that busywork right off. Completely unnecessary and unfun.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Jump in shallow water is a loving godsend.

I'd only really use auto apply oils with a controller, otherwise the inventory isn't clunky enough that I find it's that necessary. Just get the better oil icon mod suggested earlier.

The big one that everyone should use regardless of whether it's your first playthrough or not is Indestructible Items - No More Weapon Degradation. Just gently caress that busywork right off. Completely unnecessary and unfun.

Y'know I don't actually mind weapon degradation as much in Witcher because I feel like it helped sell Geralt's plight to me more. What I loved about this game is that Geralt's job is kind of really lovely, if it's anything. He's in a freezing, stinking swamp, piling up drowner corpses, his armor's got holes in it, his sword is starting to rust and crack, and he's miles away from even the most tiny of peasant shanty towns. The game kicked the poo poo out of me at the start and yet because of that it required me to attain a discipline as a player, which helped me feel more like Geralt as I adapted and overcame the game's challenges. Making sure you have a backup sword or three or some means of repairing your gear before you set out should be common sense to a Witcher.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Drifter posted:

I couldn't get that to work when I played - I think it stopped updating several patches ago.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Worked for my playthrough a week ago.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

It's Lore that sorceresses can customise their appearance however they want, which is why they all look like sexy bimbos. I don't really get why Philippa has to make do without her eyes to be honest.

Probably because regrowing a functional organ is on a different level than cosmetic surgery? Which in itself is already a symbol of belonging to select few extremely powerful people.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I used an instant sign casting mod that allowed me to cast all five signs straight from the controller by pressing RT+A or RT+LT or whatever and it was a godsend. Felt way better than switching back and forth, although there was a lot of fiddly stuff to set up or tweak to prevent the mod from having weird side effects (and I think it still had one unavoidable one in that for some reason Ciri could only dodge directly backwards towards the camera unless she'd just swung her sword).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

gently caress Roche

http://i.imgur.com/3WxPu1d.gifv

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

steinrokkan posted:

Probably because regrowing a functional organ is on a different level than cosmetic surgery? Which in itself is already a symbol of belonging to select few extremely powerful people.

I figured it'll probably take longer than the six months or so since the last game for her to regrow eyeballs. Of course, now she has that eye bandage that she uses to see instead, which is much more badass. She's like Raiden in Metal Gear.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Y'know I don't actually mind weapon degradation as much in Witcher because I feel like it helped sell Geralt's plight to me more. What I loved about this game is that Geralt's job is kind of really lovely, if it's anything. He's in a freezing, stinking swamp, piling up drowner corpses, his armor's got holes in it, his sword is starting to rust and crack, and he's miles away from even the most tiny of peasant shanty towns. The game kicked the poo poo out of me at the start and yet because of that it required me to attain a discipline as a player, which helped me feel more like Geralt as I adapted and overcame the game's challenges. Making sure you have a backup sword or three or some means of repairing your gear before you set out should be common sense to a Witcher.

I don't mind weapon degradation but repair kits fall from the sky like snow, so having stuff get worn down was never a problem. I'd like more restrictions on that so I have to carry a backup sword or something, or just power through with my crappy item.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im not going to lie every playthrough after the first I've given myself a mountain of gold, weapon/armor repair kits, and I pick 3 really good weapon/armor sets (1 early, 1 mid, 1 late) and stash them until I can use them

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Crappy Jack posted:

Because, yeah, it's appropriate for a fancy dress party, but HORRIBLY inappropriate for any other point in her storyline.

Maybe her cover with the Alt outfit is a high end hooker :heysexy:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

MikeC posted:

Maybe her cover with the Alt outfit is a high end hooker :heysexy:

I like the cut of your jib

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I finally got my clothes back in the palace and left my shirt off so I could snub the nobles, and found a guy to play gwent with - and he slaughtered me. Three times. I had to quit the game or else take a sword to him. :argh:

I'll be back, mister. I'll be back with better cards!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I really don't get why people have such a hard time with him.

Did you not buy the cards from the innkeeper in White Orchard? If you have Siege Engineer Foltest he's not that hard.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Did you not buy the cards from the innkeeper in White Orchard? If you have Siege Engineer Foltest he's not that hard.

I bought the cards, but it's basically my first gwent match outside of tutorial man and I have no idea how to handle the rhythm of the game yet. And he keeps whipping out the 10 dude and decoying him in.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Because his deck is way better than the best deck you can have at that point. You get siegemaster foltest from beating him so it's not even possible to use that card against him normally, so I have no idea what you're on about

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Digirat posted:

Because his deck is way better than the best deck you can have at that point. You get siegemaster foltest from beating him so it's not even possible to use that card against him normally, so I have no idea what you're on about

I'm obviously misremembering then, but I've never had trouble with him.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cascade Failure posted:

Didn't see a topic on this so I figured might as well ask here: Any goons currently in the closed beta of the new Gwent standalone? If so shoot me a pm and let's see if we can get some friendly games going.

I am, and it's pretty good. Is there an NDA, or could we theoretically put up a separate thread for it?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Also: where's a good mod to remove the limits on my inventory? I have no patience for weight limits these days.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
looks like this is your man

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also: where's a good mod to remove the limits on my inventory? I have no patience for weight limits these days.

this is what i use

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Yo, thanks!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1950/

Give that a go. Probably one of the most recent and built off the one posted above. It's at version 1.3, which covers both expansions.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'm obviously misremembering then, but I've never had trouble with him.

He's beatable but better than probably half the players you'll face in the game at a minimum. If you don't know how to play Gwent well I can easily see getting destroyed by that guy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I had a weird glitch in the Ciri dream sequence where it showed me the "success" option first and then, immediately afterward, the "failed" option, so that was a thing. I also failed the papers quest because apparently the guy died to the ghouls. Thought I'd saved them all, but I guess not. I'm eating those two failures, though.

I also got wrecked continuously by a noonwraith near where you exit with Keira after the lamp quest, so I guess I'll come back to that (I'm only level 7 and the area is definitely way over my head - I only just survived the onslaught of wraiths cum water hag). I'm hoping doing the Keira favor quests and a bit more of the "find the witch" main quest (plus a few of the level 5-10 side quests) will get me to the point where I can comfortably roam around Velen tagging all question marks, doing treasure hunts and side quests, and basically clean everything out before I head north to the cities.

Will I know when I'm in Hearts of Stone territory? Going to mostly avoid DLC until I've done as much of the other stuff as I can.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm pretty sure both expansions are postgame.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Motto posted:

They can both be done before the end of the main quest. There's even dialogue in HoS that reflects this.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Bicyclops posted:

Will I know when I'm in Hearts of Stone territory? Going to mostly avoid DLC until I've done as much of the other stuff as I can.

You'll know it from the level 30 monsters and abundance of Mad Max references.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Motto posted:

What I hear online is that you do the main quest up to the obvious part before the ending, then you do Hearts of Stone for the dialogue relevancy and you finish it up, then you finish the main quest, and then you do Blood and Wine.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If the noonwraith you keep getting owned by is Jenny o' the Woods, don't worry. She murders most people.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You'll know it from the level 30 monsters and abundance of Mad Max references.

It's nuts that there are wild boars half a mile from Novigrad that could take on the final boss and live

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

If the noonwraith you keep getting owned by is Jenny o' the Woods, don't worry. She murders most people.

She might be. I have that quest, so I'll check on it and see if its in the area I was getting Noonwraithed.

Either way, coming from the Elder Scrolls, I sort of like that the game is sometimes like "Haha, yeah, okay: gently caress you pal!" for trying to just wander into the war-torn wilderness. I actually like both ways (with enemies that scale and with enemies that don't), but have never really experienced the latter with an open world game, so it's cool. It particularly fits with the Polish "It's cold, all the peasants are miserable, weeping racists who'd just assume literally spit on you as give you the time of day, and your desire to stay out of political affairs sometimes makes you the monster, anyway, have fun" vibe.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

The Oldest Man posted:

I am, and it's pretty good. Is there an NDA, or could we theoretically put up a separate thread for it?

I'm reasonably sure that there's a thread around here. But I can't be bothered to search for it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Bicyclops posted:

She might be. I have that quest, so I'll check on it and see if its in the area I was getting Noonwraithed.

Either way, coming from the Elder Scrolls, I sort of like that the game is sometimes like "Haha, yeah, okay: gently caress you pal!" for trying to just wander into the war-torn wilderness. I actually like both ways (with enemies that scale and with enemies that don't), but have never really experienced the latter with an open world game, so it's cool. It particularly fits with the Polish "It's cold, all the peasants are miserable, weeping racists who'd just assume literally spit on you as give you the time of day, and your desire to stay out of political affairs sometimes makes you the monster, anyway, have fun" vibe.

If I'm remembering right there's some elven ruins around that area with a shitload of wraiths and a noonwraith. It probably just wandered over.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bicyclops posted:

I had a weird glitch in the Ciri dream sequence where it showed me the "success" option first and then, immediately afterward, the "failed" option, so that was a thing. I also failed the papers quest because apparently the guy died to the ghouls. Thought I'd saved them all, but I guess not. I'm eating those two failures, though.

I also got wrecked continuously by a noonwraith near where you exit with Keira after the lamp quest, so I guess I'll come back to that (I'm only level 7 and the area is definitely way over my head - I only just survived the onslaught of wraiths cum water hag). I'm hoping doing the Keira favor quests and a bit more of the "find the witch" main quest (plus a few of the level 5-10 side quests) will get me to the point where I can comfortably roam around Velen tagging all question marks, doing treasure hunts and side quests, and basically clean everything out before I head north to the cities.

Don't bother trying to clear everything out - loot from guarded treasure and so forth is scaled to your level, and some quests are beyond your level anyway. Just go to Novigrad when you're done with the main quest and all the fun-looking level-appropriate secondary quests in Velen.

Also, if you need a journeyman blacksmith (weapons crafter) in the Velen area before hitting Novigrad, try the southeast corner of Oxenfurt.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So what did you guys do regarding the Forest Spirit mission?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Grouchio posted:

So what did you guys do regarding the Forest Spirit mission?

If you're talking about the spirit beneath the Whispering Hillock...
while both solutions have their upsides and downsides, I feel that there's definitely a 'correct' answer, and the game will even tell you exactly what's up with that spirit if you've randomly come across the book 'She Who Knows'. If you trust the book (and there isn't a reason not to), you know the right answer. You also have no reason to distrust the people of Downwarren.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Actually there's a huge reason not to, and Geralt's suspicions of there never being a druid circle in Velen are later dispelled by Avalach.

Also child soup is bad. Murder of people materially positioned into being child neglecting cultists is so-so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

this is a really unimportant question, but why is the price of the temerian armour more expensive in game than what I've read? Like, the wiki says that the chest is supposed to be 230 witcher dollars but in game it's 485. Not a huge problem but it's kinda strange.