Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I've never played skyward sword is it really that good haven't played a Zelda game in a long time

I do have a Wii mote + I've never touched. It uses those controls right? Are they gimmicky like "wiggle to jump!" Also have a pro controller

I don't have a sensor bar I know the gamepad has one but looks like it only works in Wii mode :/ I know they're cheap so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Basically any time Link has to do something like balance, aim, steer, or swing the sword it uses the gyro. It doesn't use it for anything particularly non intuitive like jumping, but sometimes the application feels like it would be a lot better just steering with the stick. The most awkward is the falling controls and the swimming controls.

Also you use it for throwing, or rolling, bombs depending on the motion (like a basketball or like a bowling ball), which probably feels the most gimmicky, but also works fine.

The most difficult combat motion to do consistently is the forward stab, and sometimes the skyward strike is finicky.

Just remember moving your sword around to distract enemies and swinging in a direction are completely independent. You don't need to move your sword back to the left to swing right. If you hold your sword all the way to the right and then swing right, Link will do that automatically.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So far the only bad thing about skyward sword is bomb rolling. If you're sitting on something that doesn't let you hang your arm down, it's really awkward. Figuring out the flight controls is a bit finicky but I'm getting the hang of it. While the game would work just fine without motion controls, it uses them pretty well.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

mastajake posted:

If it helps, the wiimote registers the swing from where it starts, NOT where it is in relation to your body. When swinging to your right, don't wind up (left then right), just swing right, no matter where the wiimote is at the moment.

I think it was an earlier version of the Zelda thread where someone else pointed this out and the controls suddenly clicked for me. Even knowing what I was supposed to do I just couldn't coordinate the physical motion. As the first big encounter I can see how it turned a lot of people off on the game.

Cojawfee posted:

So far the only bad thing about skyward sword is bomb rolling. If you're sitting on something that doesn't let you hang your arm down, it's really awkward. Figuring out the flight controls is a bit finicky but I'm getting the hang of it. While the game would work just fine without motion controls, it uses them pretty well.

I like flying up to the ceiling and dive bombing around. Outta my way random NPC dudes!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I struggled with the motion controls in SS. My wrist just moves in a way where I can't consistently input the correct swings, and I simply wasn't having enough fun to bother correcting it. And that Forsaken fight with the catapult, ugh. What a piece of poo poo.

The game has some good points, but the controls might be too touchy depending who you are. Don't feel bad if you're not getting it, honestly. I found too many negatives to keep pushing forward, but ymmv, n4d.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Your milage of SS will basically depend on your opinion of the controls. People who loved the game seemed to have no issues, people who didnt seem to hate the controls, there really doesnt seem to be any overlap. The game is so tied into the control scheme its hard to divorce the rest of the experience from it.

But it's worth playing through, even if you dont like the controls, because it's still zelda and it still has those occasional magical moments. The sand sea is still a top 10 zelda area and the dungeons are good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cleretic posted:

I'm not looking forward to the VR Revolution, because to be quite frank I do not want to rely on my garbage body to play games. People talk about immersion, but that's actually gonna be poo poo for it, because YOU are not a master swordsman or whatever. Making Link use your actions (just as an example) won't make you feel badass, because to be beatable by any given player the swordplay would have to be so easy a child could do it.

...that's largely unrelated, but it's still bugging me as a thing that comes up.

Don't worry, the VR Revolution will feature haptic feedback suits that will trick you into thinking you're performing all the badass actions that you're cybernetically commanding your VR self to do. You'll be comfortably drooling on the couch all the while.

Jackard posted:

Not sure if we can really say this, because someone playing FPS with controller is totally crushed whenever they're up against someone using mouse and keyboard

This is interesting in light of talk about VR or motion controls because there's an argument to be made that mouse and keyboard works too well for FPS. Like yeah you can clown on someone in an FPS if you're using a mouse and keyboard and they're using a console controller but you would also clown on them if they were using realistic VR or motion controls. Making small adjustments with the fine motor control of your hands and wrists is always going to be better than having to move your whole arms or upper torso around.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I liked SS controls and think it's worth a playthrough but I'm not sure I'll replay it until an WWHD like remake just because I hated going back to areas for a second time to do something tedious like the tadtones. Fighting The Imprisoned multiple times also sucked.

I got the 8-bit Link amiibo and I don't think this sprite was designed to be printed as a 3D figure. I never noticed how Link's right hand turns into a flesh puddle behind the shield.:lol:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I've never played skyward sword is it really that good

No. It's the worst Zelda. I say this because it has the biggest glaring issues that detract from the experience. It's a 40 hour game that could be shortened to under 30 by just doing some QA and saying, oh poo poo, this is annoying.

So 25% of the game is poo poo. Which makes it the worst Zelda.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Waltzing Along posted:

No. It's the worst Zelda. I say this because it has the biggest glaring issues that detract from the experience. It's a 40 hour game that could be shortened to under 30 by just doing some QA and saying, oh poo poo, this is annoying.

So 25% of the game is poo poo. Which makes it the worst Zelda.

What part are you talking about?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
SS is not the worst zelda. that would be probably one of the earliest ones. it's very worth a playthrough imo, even with its flaws. it has the best art direction of any zelda imo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Zelda II is probably the worst. Even if SS throws out some really stupid poo poo, there's still enough cool things in this game to make it be good.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess are both excellent 30 hour games trapped in 40+ hour games. I quite liked SS despite that, it was the first Zelda I 100% since Majora's.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Zelda 2 is a solid all around game. It's straightforward, has enough hints to tell you where to go, but is difficult. The only real problem with it is the massive difficulty curve upwards once you get the flute.

On Skyward Sword I think it's localization also kinda sucked. I wonder if other countries had a better time with it because some mechanics in the game were explained either poorly or flat out wrong.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bombadilillo posted:

What part are you talking about?

All the repetitive poo poo that added a ton of empty playtime. Plus the stuff that just wasn't fun or challenging.

The game could have been great. But it wasn't due to the QA that was absent. I suspect the QA people were looking for bugs but any feedback would be ignored because they are lower on the totem pole in Japan so their opinions don't have merit. Or they were afraid to say "This is bad."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

Zelda II is probably the worst. Even if SS throws out some really stupid poo poo, there's still enough cool things in this game to make it be good.

Makes note, "Cojawfee has bad opinions and probably never finished Zelda 2.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Miyamoto also thinks 2 is the worst Zelda. I think the DS ones are the worst but they're not bad games for what they were trying to do.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are enough good things about Skyward Sword, mostly centered around Skyloft/Groose and the general level of style and personality in that world, that it more or less comes out ahead. Zelda II's only damning feature is that it's so radically different from most other Zelda games, it's still an exceptional NES title in of itself.

Spirit Tracks is the only one you'll never see me say anything positive about it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The two DS ones are definitely bottom 5. Take the overworld and dungeons from the two and switch and you have one amazing game and one incredible utter piece of poo poo. The fact that each only got 1/2 right is why they are both bad.

For the most part, all Zeldas are good games in comparison with other games on the market. But when comparing Zelda to Zelda, SS is the worst. This is because it is as flawed as any other but is the longest so you have to muck around in poo poo the longest. Make it a 20 hour game with the same flaws and it shoots up the list.

SS did a lot right. There is no denying that fact.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Skyward Sword has a small number of chronic annoyances. If they bother you, you'll hate it; if you can overlook them, you'll love it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bongo Bill posted:

Skyward Sword has a small number of chronic annoyances. If they bother you, you'll hate it; if you can overlook them, you'll love it.

That's why I'm looking forward to whenever it gets remade. They've been great with removing annoyances and tightening up stuff with each remake.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I don't think Skyward Sword was a bad game, but I do believe it damaged the franchise in the eyes of many. To the extent that if BotW hadn't been such a massive new direction for the series, people would be a lot more apprehensive about the next entry in the franchise.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
I always think the older Final Fantasies are the worst (despite loving them), but I don't think the same holds true for Zelda. And there's a pretty simple reason for that: the further back you go in the Final Fantasy histories, the less the games work. The earliest Final Fantasies have accidentally invisible NPCs, stats, status effects and spells that do nothing, enemies spawning way before they should, and any number of other weirdness. For all the flaws the oldest Zelda games have, they are at least fully functional products.

In fact all Zelda games are really solid by objective metrics like 'makes sense', 'everything does what it's supposed to' and 'few-to-no game-breaking bugs', which makes deciding the worst a really hard prospect that really has to come down to subjectivity. I think Oracle of Ages is the worst because it has some frustrating parts and very little appealing payoff, but even it's not a bad game, it's just a less good one.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That loving mermaid dungeon.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't think Skyward Sword was a bad game, but I do believe it damaged the franchise in the eyes of many. To the extent that if BotW hadn't been such a massive new direction for the series, people would be a lot more apprehensive about the next entry in the franchise.

Twilight Princess already did that, once the new shine wore off it was pretty poorly regarded until Skyward Sword came out and people couldn't deal with the controls and decided they liked TP after all.

I still haven't revisited TP to see if it's improved with age.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The "ruined in the eyes of many" stuff tends to be referring to the extremely hardcore fanbase and not the casual fans who make up the vast majority of Zelda players. Their opinions are harder to grasp because they don't tend to post on internet forums (or at least large gaming forums.)

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i played twilight princess before any other in the series and its my favorite easily

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

That's okay.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tender Bender posted:

Twilight Princess already did that, once the new shine wore off it was pretty poorly regarded until Skyward Sword came out and people couldn't deal with the controls and decided they liked TP after all.

I still haven't revisited TP to see if it's improved with age.

I still love Twilight Princess, but it is most definitely a very slow burn to get to the best parts.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

New Breath of the Wild art:

Zelda 1 manual art:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

sharrrk posted:

i played twilight princess before any other in the series and its my favorite easily

Wow. the first one you played is your favorite? How very analytical of you.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Zelda 1 manual art:

Glad to see them keep referencing Z1 as inspiration.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waltzing Along posted:

Makes note, "Cojawfee has bad opinions and probably never finished Zelda 2.

He's right though, Zelda II is a dumpster fire.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

s.i.r.e. posted:

How so?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Nah

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

Spirit Tracks is the only one you'll never see me say anything positive about it.

Nothing positive? Ghost Zelda.

s.i.r.e. posted:

loving lol but I should know about your opinions by now.

Zelda II holds up pretty well compared to most NES games. It certainly has flaws, but there's a lot of good there too. Way above dumpster fire level.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

If Zelda 2 didnt have a 4 pixel knife it would have been great.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bombadilillo posted:

4 pixel knife

That's what my mom calls your dick

Wait that's not right...

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

SeANMcBAY posted:

Zelda 1 manual art:

Anyone else think BOTW is a retelling of Zelda 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

who knows what timeline it lands on