Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Book snobs are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

At the same time, it doesn't really indicate if that's good or bad. There's plenty of snobs who think that reading books is a sign of intelligence and people who don't read them are Idiocracy morons, but historically you really couldn't read anything if it wasn't print literature. I'd argue that with the growth of the Internet, people are reading more words than ever before even if they don't pick up a newspaper or novel every day.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

At the same time, it doesn't really indicate if that's good or bad. There's plenty of snobs who think that reading books is a sign of intelligence and people who don't read them are Idiocracy morons, but historically you really couldn't read anything if it wasn't print literature. I'd argue that with the growth of the Internet, people are reading more words than ever before even if they don't pick up a newspaper or novel every day.

Have you seen the internet lately? The internet is SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

bean_shadow posted:

Pyramid-Scheme Plexus Lady is still at it. She posts these things at least once a day. She did post pictures of her kids on Christmas but her page is mostly just this. It's disturbing how someone can fall into the rabbit hole so quickly and completely.

I have an Actual Diabetic friend, and he has never in his life* heard of "balanced" blood sugars. So we can add it to the list of red flag terms used by pseudoscience. How long til it appears on David Avocado Wolf's facebook?

Diabetic since age 16, now 43, lots of time to have heard of it.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

I have an Actual Diabetic friend, and he has never in his life* heard of "balanced" blood sugars. So we can add it to the list of red flag terms used by pseudoscience. How long til it appears on David Avocado Wolf's facebook?

Diabetic since age 16, now 43, lots of time to have heard of it.

Even better---this woman is a nurse.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

bean_shadow posted:

Even better---this woman is a nurse.

Nurses seem disappointingly likely to buy into this sort of crap. I'm assuming it's because they have medical training but aren't given a strong enough foundation in science, leading them to have an inflated opinion of their own expertise while lacking the expertise not to fall for woo

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Slime posted:

Have you seen the internet lately? The internet is SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

So is the vast majority of print literature, hth!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

mng posted:

Snob snobs are worse.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ularg posted:

I read SA, is that reading?

*I lovingly close and re-shelve Shitposts, Volume 2016 in my vast library*

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Slime posted:

Nurses seem disappointingly likely to buy into this sort of crap. I'm assuming it's because they have medical training but aren't given a strong enough foundation in science, leading them to have an inflated opinion of their own expertise while lacking the expertise not to fall for woo

Some nurses can write prescriptions in the US.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

BgRdMchne posted:

Some nurses can write prescriptions in the US.

They can in the UK as well, for certain items.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Chichevache posted:

Snob snobs are worse.

How snobby can a snob snob be if they were a snobby snob?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Slime posted:

My wife's a nurse, so naturally I know a bunch through association and none of them would ever subscribe to this line of nonsense thinking. They spent years in medical school and most of the time I'd trust them over the doctors they work under.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Slime posted:

Counterpoint: Simon & Schuster just gave Milo Yiannopoulos a sight-unseen book deal for a quarter-million dollars.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
publishing is poo poo too

the world is poo poo

cleansing nuclear hellfire please

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Slime posted:

publishing is poo poo too

the world is poo poo

cleansing nuclear hellfire please

Give it three weeks.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

change my name posted:

One volume, huh? So you got the Cliff's Notes version?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Laserjet 4P posted:

One volume, huh? So you got the Cliff's Notes version?

I lovingly pull up in my library forklift.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Besesoth posted:

Counterpoint: Simon & Schuster just gave Milo Yiannopoulos a sight-unseen book deal for a quarter-million dollars.

nice

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Slime posted:

Have you seen the internet lately?

Not since last year.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011

change my name posted:

"Aah...Harambe, Donald Trump, the Olympics... an excellent vintage."

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

Slime posted:

What? :cripes:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

change my name posted:

I lovingly pull up in my library forklift.

Ah, here's a classic.

*wets finger, turns page*

"A journey through the derails of IOSM"

What an excellent read.

Slime posted:

But what if I only read published scientific papers on the internet?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mng posted:

I missed the middle of your words and thought you said "boobs are the worst" and I was going to disagree.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

So, what real benefit is there to being smarter than those silly females if you're just going to post about it on Facebook and do nothing worthwhile with your life?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Leavemywife posted:

So, what real benefit is there to being smarter than those silly females if you're just going to post about it on Facebook and do nothing worthwhile with your life?

I guess it helps you feel superior when they won't sleep with you.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BigglesSWE posted:

I guess it helps you feel superior when they won't sleep with you.

But if they're so mentally feeble and weak minded, shouldn't that make it easier for you to convince them to sleep with you?

This isn't adding up! This isn't adding up at all!

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
It's like the old fascist thing of jews being inferior pests, but also somehow ruling the world at the same time

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

The female lizard brain is also better at Gimp, evidently

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yes everyone who agrees with that image should stay the hell away from females.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
They just had to add that last "FEMAAAAALES" to perfect my mental image of the poster.

I always assume whenever anyone uses "Female" as anything other than an adjective they're doing it with a really nasally voice.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Or, as has been mentioned in the past, they are in fact Ferengi.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ularg posted:

They just had to add that last "FEMAAAAALES" to perfect my mental image of the poster.

I always assume whenever anyone uses "Female" as anything other than an adjective they're doing it with a really nasally voice.

I imagine Ferengi.

Edit: ^^^beaten

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I guess this is my admission that I've never really watched any of the Star Trek series.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TIL that wine ferments in the bottle.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

My wife's a nurse, so naturally I know a bunch through association and none of them would ever subscribe to this line of nonsense thinking. They spent years in medical school and most of the time I'd trust them over the doctors they work under.

I think a lot of this comes from there being a few different types of nurses. There are the type that went to a four year university and earned a BSN and eventually a Master's (like my wife and most of her colleagues). And there's the type that got a certificate from a community or online college that allows them to work in many of the same capacities as a nurse. The latter seems to be more vocal on Facebook.

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

HairyManling posted:

I think a lot of this comes from there being a few different types of nurses. There are the type that went to a four year university and earned a BSN and eventually a Master's (like my wife and most of her colleagues). And there's the type that got a certificate from a community or online college that allows them to work in many of the same capacities as a nurse. The latter seems to be more vocal on Facebook.

Yeah, that's probably true. I guess most people wouldn't think of/care about the differences between the two.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Yeah an LVN is not the same level as a Nurse Practitioner.

Then again, it's not like Doctors are much better; Dr. Oz, Ben Carson, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

InediblePenguin posted:

They sew the pockets shut on men's suits too, if they're made well -- it's because the pockets have the extra weight with the foldover at the hem, and the bag of the pocket itself, and all, and sewing the pockets shut prevents that weight from pulling the jacket into sagging on the rack. You're meant to unstitch those.

Add me to the list of people too low-class to know this. Mind: blown. :aaaaa: