Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I don't know how many of you guys in here watched the Wire, but I can't get over Jaime Hector being Byrne. That dude is not Marlo Stanfield at all.

I mean, yeah, that's what actors do, no poo poo. But still I wouldn't believe it's the same person. I can hear Pedro Pascal and Rosario Dawson (and even Vincent D'Onofrio a little, the way he draws out his vowels; it's a lot like his weird voice in Men in Black) but Jaime Hector's diction is really different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
You want things to be one way.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I didn't like his performance in the Wire all that much either. :shrug:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I didn't like his performance in the Wire all that much either. :shrug:

he was fine; a bit lumbered by being underwritten compared to string and avon though.

hahaha also DH2 is maybe the most under-used sam rockwell has ever been

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I did a low chaos run as Emily and a high chaos run as Corvo so I figure it's time to try out New Game+.

So far I've most of the standard approaches but I knew there are still a few alternatives. Is there a good list of the different possibilities for each mission? I assume chapters 3-5 and 9 only have the straightforward lethal or non-lethal eliminations. In chapter 6, you can side with one faction, exile both leaders or get the code without engaging either faction. Chapter 7 has the three options for dealing with Stilton. Can you complete chapter 8 without actually eliminating the duke? Does killing Meagan and Sokolov in Chapter 9 have any effect beyond removing their scenes from the ending?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I ordered this for PS4 off of Amazon, and received it yesterday. The thing is, the PAL version was delivered, despite me being in the US (went back and double checked, the product page was correct. It runs fine, but I wanted to know if there's any appreciable difference between the two. I've gathered that PAL releases can sometimes end up censored, or something, and I just wanted to see whether I should bother sending it back for an NTSC version.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
This is my first time in this thread so I'm sorry if this has been already answered.

What's up with the end of game thing:

Delilah boss fight? Does the corrupt rune even matter? I tried many options: first one was sneaky playthough, so I stuck the corrupt rune in, and I got to go into the painting. The second playthough one I did a rune, and tried to kill her manually but she kept reappearing and I couldn't get into the painting. I tried without the rune and it was the same, couldn't get into the painting.

What is the point of the rune? does it even do anything? The game says it hurts her, but it really doesn't seem to do anything. If I stick it in and fight her manually she can't die, if I stick it in and get into her painting, it doesn't seem to make a difference if I have the rune or not because that final boss fight is the same no matter what.

Also, is there an actual way to kill her without going into the painting, or are you totally hosed if you somehow can't get into it?

I am so confused about this :confused:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Did you remember to use the Heart on her to make her mortal again? That's the one thing I can think of.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Thin Privilege posted:

This is my first time in this thread so I'm sorry if this has been already answered.

What's up with the end of game thing:

Delilah boss fight? Does the corrupt rune even matter? I tried many options: first one was sneaky playthough, so I stuck the corrupt rune in, and I got to go into the painting. The second playthough one I did a rune, and tried to kill her manually but she kept reappearing and I couldn't get into the painting. I tried without the rune and it was the same, couldn't get into the painting.

What is the point of the rune? does it even do anything? The game says it hurts her, but it really doesn't seem to do anything. If I stick it in and fight her manually she can't die, if I stick it in and get into her painting, it doesn't seem to make a difference if I have the rune or not because that final boss fight is the same no matter what.

Also, is there an actual way to kill her without going into the painting, or are you totally hosed if you somehow can't get into it?

I am so confused about this :confused:

I don't think you can kill her outside the painting for some mumbo jumbo magic reason. You have to go into her seat of power for the final showdown. If you aggro her outside the painting maybe if you hide and she loses you it becomes available again?

The correct use of the rune is to knock her out in the painting, then carry her back out of the painting and put her body on the throne after installing the rune. This is the clean hands option.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 30, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Did the conservatory last night and had my first super hard crash on ps4. A witch was pawing at a bookshelf and i tried to jump in her from atop a different bookshelf. Locked before The landing. The whole game became one frame every five seconds until I rebooted the console a few times.

Also don't know if the boss woman was glitchy or not, but after I took her witchy powers, I tried to shoot her with darts and blood flies kept coming out of her to block the shots, then we did some kind of tango where I'd punch her in the neck, start to choke her, she'd break free, and then we'd repeat. Only when I deflected her attack and shot her with a dart was I able to knock her out and take her charms. It was a super weird way to finish the map. Not sure how you would do a clean hands ghost run and get those charms given my experience last night.

The conservatory also gave me my first unconscious guard dies offscreen glitch. Baffling as hell because the other guy I left with him was fine.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

marshmallow creep posted:

Not sure how you would do a clean hands ghost run and get those charms given my experience last night.
IIRC you can either do a buttslide knockout or a drop knockout on her while she's sobbing into her hands to render her unconscious without being detected.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

haveblue posted:

I don't think you can kill her outside the painting for some mumbo jumbo magic reason. You have to go into her seat of power for the final showdown. If you aggro her outside the painting maybe if you hide and she loses you it becomes available again?

The correct use of the rune is to knock her out in the painting, then carry her back out of the painting and put her body on the throne after installing the rune. This is the clean hands option.

weird! thats different. on my clean hands run ---I was so pissed off cause that battle was poo poo, those clones kept finding me, so I had to look at the internet to find out how to get her, I never do this but I was so mad--- anyways internet said that you just jump up on the cliff where she is and choke her out. Then I just left her in there. That got me clean hands, it said she was stuck in the painting forever.I never stuck her in the chair, does that make any difference?

Also I was just reading about alternate endings and I'm gonna rule Karnaka and Dunwall, gently caress you guys! I'm evil. Looking forward to this ending.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I never thought of just leaving her there and I've only cleared the game once, I didn't know that would work either. Putting her in the throne gets you a cutscene showing her getting sealed in the painting.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

azren posted:

I ordered this for PS4 off of Amazon, and received it yesterday. The thing is, the PAL version was delivered, despite me being in the US (went back and double checked, the product page was correct. It runs fine, but I wanted to know if there's any appreciable difference between the two. I've gathered that PAL releases can sometimes end up censored, or something, and I just wanted to see whether I should bother sending it back for an NTSC version.

Weird, I had the same thing happen for a different game (The Last Guardian). I would, and did, return mine and bought a local US version. As I understand it the PAL version would play fine but any DLC or multiplayer would be tied to the PAL region and PSN store. Up to you if it's worth the risk for possible future DLC, but I would just exchange it if I were you.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There's an article on Glixel right now about the first Dishonored. I had no idea Carrie Fisher was in it, and it's because the character she voiced only shows up if you kill a propaganda officer as you're escaping from prison. She's his replacement who reads the announcements in Dunwall.

It's the most Bethesda thing I've ever heard. Who the hell hires a well-known actress to play a role that an easy 75% of the players will never hear?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Wanderer posted:

There's an article on Glixel right now about the first Dishonored. I had no idea Carrie Fisher was in it, and it's because the character she voiced only shows up if you kill a propaganda officer as you're escaping from prison. She's his replacement who reads the announcements in Dunwall.

It's the most Bethesda thing I've ever heard. Who the hell hires a well-known actress to play a role that an easy 75% of the players will never hear?

It's not when you're escaping prison, it's when you return to Dunwall Tower. And the article describes it as an Easter Egg which sort of makes sense of it being just a couple lines.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Wanderer posted:

The voice casts for both Dishonored games are absolutely insane for how small the roles actually are.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

GotLag posted:

On the other hand, combat (and especially parrying) are much more forgiving in Dishonored 2.

Holy poo poo is this absolutely true. Playing through D2 made me want to play D1 again, and so I'm playing both simultaneously. D2 is certainly a technical improvement in MANY ways over D1, now that I'm doing an actual comparison. There are just a few little things about the control of the character and the speed with which one can do things like switch powers and then use them immediately that really do work better in D2 - or even Blink + stop time, which doesn't exist in D1, is a great upgrade. And the character models in D1 are actually terrible; well, at least compared to D2. D1 is, what, 4 years old? As I'm playing it, the character models are really the things that stick out as something that hasn't aged well at all. Even for the time, I think the character models were subpar in every way except for consistency of style (which kind of makes the game, to be honest). I hadn't played D1 in a few years until about 4 days ago, and after playing both games side by side this week I think I still like D1 better on an overall "atmosphere" level. One of my favorite things is actually the loudspeaker messages and that whining/feedback sound that accompanies them. And it loads instantly from SSD, unlike D2. But in just about every other respect - level design, pacing, length, etc. - the two games are really evenly matched in terms of quality and content.

I have to admit that I do not like the player character voice acting for either Corvo or Emily in D2, and I think that this is because so many of the things they say are to remind the player of what they are supposed to be doing on a given level. Not so much in the cutscenes, but in the actual gameplay. Things like "I have to find out about Jindosh and rescue Sokolov" immediately upon getting control of my character for a level just do not need to be said. It kind of makes me feel like the game assumes that I am a moron and need to be reminded of my objective or I'll just wander around aimlessly D1 didn't feel like that at all; and it's not like your objectives are any great mysteries. The on-screen notifications, which are essentially the same in both games, are all the information you need and then some. I suppose that the PC voice acting was an absolute necessity for D2 if for nothing else than to make the two PCs different, but it's still a bit annoying.

But the combat certainly feels 10x better in D2. Maybe it's one of the reasons to play D1 in a stealthy manner rather than to just engage enemies, which is quite a bit easier in D2. I'll probably do a "murder all people" playthrough on my next D2 just to have that experience, but that wasn't something I ever wanted to do in D1, and probably never will. It's just too clunky. D2, on the other hand, feels very responsive and powerful in a combat situation. Overall the only thing that I can really say is that both of these are really great games.

fridge corn posted:

Also holy poo poo I am really bad at this game. I'm on mission 2 and I die everytime lol

Try to focus on getting the runes and bonecharms and just about everything else in the level before moving on to the Institute; that 2nd level, including the Institute, has quite a bit of flexibility for you to just take your time and learn the ropes. The first level was pretty meh, but the 2nd level - and really every level other than 1 - has a lot of content that's easy to miss unless you take your time. If you're really having trouble, make sure to take Dark Vision and use it quite a bit; upgrade that and Blink before taking on other powers. Seeing enemies move and watching what they do when they don't know you are there is very illustrative of the game's AI in general. . . if you are the kind of player that can handle taking things slowly. A lot of people just don't like the methodical approach.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Do the people of the Empire drink 5000 proof liquor or something because I'm up to several instances where I've had to reload because I've darted or domino'd people unconscious and they slump over on or fall on a bottle of flammable liquor and burst into flames and die.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fabricated posted:

Do the people of the Empire drink 5000 proof liquor or something because I'm up to several instances where I've had to reload because I've darted or domino'd people unconscious and they slump over on or fall on a bottle of flammable liquor and burst into flames and die.

In the conservatory mission there were three witches walking around on the first floor and when I cleared the second and third and went down to deal with them I couldn't find them for a while. Eventually I found them in a neat little pile, burned to death in front of a display. I wasn't blamed for any accidental deaths according to the stat screen, so :iiam:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fabricated posted:

In Dishonored 1 the special liquor quest item is described as being brewed with a bit of whale oil, and that stuff also explodes on impact...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love the idea that everyone in the empire is secretly explosive.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Wanderer posted:

I'm only guessing, but I always assumed they weren't happy with her performance and only kept some lines for the easter egg, and recast the regular announcer.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Biggest improvement over the original for me is how you can now play it aggressively but remain non-lethal/semi-stealthy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Junkenstein posted:

Biggest improvement over the original for me is how you can now play it aggressively but remain non-lethal/semi-stealthy.

Gets pretty silly when you're trying to do this without powers though. Slide jousting.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i am replaying dh1 now and it is cool to see young sokolov

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Whats the best way to deal with the clockwork soldiers? I'm doing a high chaos stealthy corvo run I guess and im getting my poo poo pushed in here on mission 4 :(

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stun mines and grenades will one shot them. alternately dont get noticed and you wont have to deal with them until the end.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
One crossbow bolt to the head will remove it and then an air assassination to kill once it's trivial to get close to them.

If you can't get close at all a single grenade will kill once the head is off.

Ones that are "sleeping" or headless can be totally ignored as long as you don't get loud nearby.

There's a panel on one leg that can be rewired to make them friendly.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 1, 2017

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Since you're doing high chaos, I'll second using a crossbow bolt to break their head. After that, they go by sound, so as long as you're sneaking they won't notice you. They will attack anybody else that makes noise, though.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
sticky grenades were very useful for me too. I really bumbled my way through the clockwork mansion though

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
End of game spoilers:

Is there an actual third way to deal with Delilah? The objective pop ups suggest there is, but I didn't figure it out and my google fu was weak. I'm sure it's been discussed but I didn't notice anything. Now to new game+ and remember to save Stilton!

vorebane fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 1, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
overall pretend clockwork soldiers are the necromorphs from dead space and you will be a lot more effective fighting them. cutting off their limbs is the way to do real damage to them. once you grasp that it's not hard to simply fence them down with your sword.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Thanks for the tips :keke:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

vorebane posted:

End of game spoilers:

Is there an actual third way to deal with Delilah? The objective pop ups suggest there is, but I didn't figure it out and my google fu was weak. I'm sure it's been discussed but I didn't notice anything. Now to new game+ and remember to save Stilton!

There's only two ways. The objective pop-up that gets crossed out is just the instructions for the non-lethal route.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Game good, Feonir still bad at sneakin.

http://i.imgur.com/CyrNxZd.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/COVnGTO.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/G09eMb7.mp4

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Nothing sums up the Dishonored 2 experience quite like those gifs, I have to say :haw:

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Lunethex posted:

Nothing sums up the Dishonored 2 experience quite like those gifs, I have to say :haw:

Luckily I have yet to perform a Coolguy special where in I just wave my sword at the rear end end of a guard. But tick tock on that.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sindai posted:

One crossbow bolt to the head will remove it and then an air assassination to kill once it's trivial to get close to them.

If you can't get close at all a single grenade will kill once the head is off.

Ones that are "sleeping" or headless can be totally ignored as long as you don't get loud nearby.

There's a panel on one leg that can be rewired to make them friendly.

You can also air-assassinate their heads off. Also was it added in a patch that you can now assassinate them from ground level when their heads are off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
You can instant kill them, no extra work whatsoever, if you have the Monkey Wrench sword upgrade I think. I'm not too sure on the specifics behind that.

• Locked thread