Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
That might be a cantilever deck, with those joists on the bottom going into the house. Still, it looks like the joists would go the other way on a house that narrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
It's like Dr Seuss meets a favela.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I like how they were going to give it a facade, then just said "gently caress it".

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can really see the bricklayer's pride in his workmanship there.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mtluyHcOnk

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The old "all the windows in the Lego box" approach.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

kid sinister posted:

Both locations need GFCI protection. Back when GFCIs were expensive and cable was cheap, they'd run circuits like that. Part of that is still in the book too. All bathrooms and no other rooms are allowed to share one circuit for outlets only. That way, the first outlet on that circuit branch can be a GFCI and protect all the others. If that GFCI trips for the first time and this house has several bathrooms, you might have to do a bit of searching around the house to find the GFCI.

And yes, we were just talking about heat pumps here in this thread. What kind of lake is this? Who owns it? I'd imagine if it's a hydroelectric reservoir, the power company might have rules for that. Company "owned" or at least "managed" water bodies can have all sorts of rules and allowed use.

everything relevant is getting AFCI/GFCI breakers.

it's Clear Lake, CA

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the heat pump is an old York 2-piece system with an air handler in the "basement" (is there a term for an enclosed crawlspace that's 4 feet tall on one end and like 15 feet tall on the other?). I wasn't able to test it because though the air handler is wired up, the breaker from the outside unit subpanel's been removed pending further electrical work.

the water heater isn't strapped to anything and says Montgomery Ward on it

the security light has an orange extension cord permanently installed through the wall

the ceiling fan is wired with a homemade romex "cord" running alllll the way down from the ceiling into an outlet, with plugs on both ends

when the water guy came by to figure out where to send my dad's bill I heard him say "yeah the guys working on this before were definitely not professionals at all"

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

" (is there a term for an enclosed crawlspace that's 4 feet tall on one end and like 15 feet tall on the other?).

Michigan basement.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

loving beautiful.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

:vince:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Years later and were just now peaking.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Just want to wish you all a properly built, plumbed, wired, and cabled New Year!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:grovertoot:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

This smiley is just the goddamn greatest :allears:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:grovertoot:
:laffo:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

cephalopods posted:

Michigan basement.

not excavated, just built on a slope.

and by not excavated I mean there's an antique tree stump and clump of withered grass under a bedroom

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Nuevo posted:

This smiley is just the goddamn greatest :allears:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The dramatic conclusion (for now) on the patio of doom. My dad came over with a much beefier jack where it wasn't squirrelly at all once loaded, we pulled the 4x4's out one at a time and added their little feet in the rain. Thankfully now I have outdoor GFCI outlets, not that the miter saw nor the hammer drill have grounded cords. Turns out one of the posts has a significant twist to it neither of us noticed until putting on the anchor. We then decided to hang the new baby swing which comes with no hanging instructions or mounting hardware by 2 deck screws ran in several mm using the countersunk head as the bump stop. I'm going to email them this picture and ask if it is done correctly.

Until next time crappy construction thread!

(The story begins: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431884&pagenumber=262&perpage=40#post463854053 )

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 1, 2017

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

H110Hawk posted:

Until next time crappy construction thread!

You didn't want to get some eye bolts to hang the swing so your kid doesn't break their leg? At least you are self aware enough to post here.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

You didn't want to get some eye bolts to hang the swing so your kid doesn't break their leg? At least you are self aware enough to post here.

It's a joke. We opened the box expecting to find some eye bolts, none were had, not even a description of the correct ones to get. It was taken down after the picture.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
i think this goes here http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4b1_1483233942

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

im the wetvac

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Liveleak indeed

Also, well over ten minutes to figure out they could just shunt the water into the toilet, A+

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'm the improvised dam made of garbage.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Liveleak in-

Bad Munki posted:

Liveleak indeed
:mad:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Being liveleak I fast-forwarded and saw the wet red carpet in the hallway and immediately assumed it was a pool of blood. I finally realized it was carpet though, and instead kept nervously waiting for the guy fixing the leak to make contact with something electrical and go limp

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Atticus_1354 posted:

You didn't want to get some eye bolts to hang the swing so your kid doesn't break their leg?

You want to get specific swing hangers with the nylon bushings or the noise will drive you mad.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is there anything wrong with hanging a swing from a patio joist which presumably isn't designed for shear loads?

Please say yes so my dad doesn't have to install the one my mum wants him to.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

~Coxy posted:

Is there anything wrong with hanging a swing from a patio joist which presumably isn't designed for shear loads?

Please say yes so my dad doesn't have to install the one my mum wants him to.

Depends. How fat are the kids?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kid sinister posted:

Depends. How fat are the kids?

Somewhere between Michigan fat and Mississippi fat

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Phimosissy posted:

Somewhere between Michigan fat and Mississippi fat

Please use structural steele.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

when the water guy came by to figure out where to send my dad's bill I heard him say "yeah the guys working on this before were definitely not professionals at all"

If you expected professional anything, Lake County was the wrong place to go. Even the drugs are sort of a hack job.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

nah, that's professionally gaffed.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I want to believe the tape is just used to keep it in place while the [elmer's] glue dries.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Just spray some foam in there, it'll totally be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

NancyPants posted:

Just spray some foam in there, it'll totally be fine

You mean in the door, right?