Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Soooooo yeah, I was not ready for The Destroyer. That kinda sucked and was not fun.

I tried to do it with the Onyx Blaster, but the problem is that I am utterly terrible with that kind of mouse-aiming because I always lose track of my cursor. I should probably stick to melee, but that just seems like a bad idea what with the touch damage and all.
No you're at the point where the only melee weapons worth using for anything other than clearing webs or pushing back nearby enemies are, in fact, also ranged, they just do melee type damage. Getting close to enemies is just going to get harder and/or more of a terrible idea from here on out. I'm not sure you even CAN hit the Twins with a melee-range melee weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Zereth posted:

No you're at the point where the only melee weapons worth using for anything other than clearing webs or pushing back nearby enemies are, in fact, also ranged, they just do melee type damage. Getting close to enemies is just going to get harder and/or more of a terrible idea from here on out. I'm not sure you even CAN hit the Twins with a melee-range melee weapon.

Counterpoint: Melee is really good if you find the frostfire yoyo that drops from hardmode mobs in the underground Tundra.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Kill Hallowed mimics for a Daedalus Stormbow, and then combine that with holy arrows (200 wooden arrows + 3 pixie dust + 1 unicorn horn) to create a weapon capable of shredding most hard mode bosses with a minimum of aiming.

EDIT:

SirSamVimes posted:

Counterpoint: Melee is really good if you find the frostfire yoyo that drops from hardmode mobs in the underground Tundra.

Destroyer is one of the only three bosses in the game immune to Frostburn, making Amarok a not great choice for that particular fight.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Yo-yos are in that "melee damage type but not range" category I mentioned. It might be easier to aim them for Evil Mastermind, though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

Counterpoint: Melee is really good if you find the fetid baghnakhs and facetank the first 80% of hardmode

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Oh man... All the morning talk is making me want to download that pack and see what I can see.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

You mean this thing?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Yoyos own and wreck the hell out of most bosses in terraria. It's reached a point where I have to make a personal rule not to use them or else I use nothing but yoyos.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Evil Mastermind posted:

You mean this thing?

That's the one. Find the skeleton merchant to buy a yo-yo glove and a counterweight, craft string out of cobweb, turn it all into a master yo-yo bag and start shredding things.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Nuebot posted:

Yoyos own and wreck the hell out of most bosses in terraria. It's reached a point where I have to make a personal rule not to use them or else I use nothing but yoyos.

I sort of feel the same way about summoning all the things and lurking in a box like a coward, but it turns out my reflexes have gotten bad enough in my old age that I am bad at doing other things.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ultiville posted:

I sort of feel the same way about summoning all the things and lurking in a box like a coward, but it turns out my reflexes have gotten bad enough in my old age that I am bad at doing other things.

I've tried summoning and I just get tired of having to re-summon my stuff. If it was like, permanent summons I'd be down with that. Instead the best trick is getting into a situation where your yoyo just bounces off of something forever and can't return to you until everything is dead.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Soooooo yeah, I was not ready for The Destroyer. That kinda sucked and was not fun.

I tried to do it with the Onyx Blaster, but the problem is that I am utterly terrible with that kind of mouse-aiming because I always lose track of my cursor. I should probably stick to melee, but that just seems like a bad idea what with the touch damage and all.

Next time you hit a blood moon, kill the annoying cloud enemies until you get a nimbus wand. The rain clouds it spawns really do a number on Destroyer.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Finally started my mod pack playthrough. Game drops me off in an ice biome, wolves everywhere are ruining my poo poo. This is pretty neat, now I need to figure out what I'm going to do for a base to make it real cool this time. Maybe I'll steal one of those designs in the OP with the glowing water everywhere, that's rad.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Welp, this modpack has some insanely OP stuff. I made a small expert world to test how quickly I could down the wall of flesh, and I killed it in about 15 seconds using the GRealm chain launcher firing beenades. I promptly used it to make the 'Pineapple cannon' using HM ores from a slew of golden crates, upgraded it to +7 using Dushy's upgrade tokens, and killed the destroyer 11 times in one night with zero deaths. I think my fastest kill of him was in roughly 9 seconds when I got my bees to attack him as he was unwinding.

And WeaponOut has a 'Discordant charm' that I can stick in my head vanity slot so grappling hook key will teleport when the rod of discord debuff isn't up. So. Much. Fun.

Just need to kill skeletron prime and then I'm gonna think about converting my main world to hardmode. lmkSushi's mods has a craftable teleporter so I have a fully functional teleporter network pre-hardmode. e. It cost roughly 15 platinum for the wires, but farming queen bee has given me about 40. Money goes fast in this pack... making that +6 megashark easily cost 10 plat for reforges/upgrades.

e2. fun times ahead. megashark+pineapple beenades

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 1, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The symphony of the night reference made me smile. But yeah that poo poo looks insane, I can't wait until I manage to get somewhere in all this.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
One thing I really like about Thorium mod is that one can get pre-hardmode wings as soon as Eye of Cthulhu is defeated and the blacksmith moves in. Just kill harpies for their drops and craft 'Flight Wings' and one can have their benefits right away. And with the 'wings slot' mod, they don't even occupy a precious accessory slot.

In case you're wondering, I got the chlorophyte from a golem that spawned for some odd reason. And the reduced grinding mod seems to have a typo for trifold maps because they've been dropping at least 1 per 5 kills... inventory clutter ahoy.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Nuebot posted:

I've tried summoning and I just get tired of having to re-summon my stuff. If it was like, permanent summons I'd be down with that. Instead the best trick is getting into a situation where your yoyo just bounces off of something forever and can't return to you until everything is dead.

For the most part they are permanent, though?

The sentries are 5 minute duration I guess, and I certainly use them while lurking in a box, but unless you up the sentry limit with the Dungeon Defender sets, that's not going to be all that important compared to your minions, which last unless you die.

The only trick with lurking in a box specifically is that you either need minions that can go through walls, or to summon them to the area outside the box once you're inside, but if you get one of those things lined up, I've never had an issue.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ultiville posted:

For the most part they are permanent, though?

The sentries are 5 minute duration I guess, and I certainly use them while lurking in a box, but unless you up the sentry limit with the Dungeon Defender sets, that's not going to be all that important compared to your minions, which last unless you die.

The only trick with lurking in a box specifically is that you either need minions that can go through walls, or to summon them to the area outside the box once you're inside, but if you get one of those things lined up, I've never had an issue.

I'm guessing you're talking about the mod ones? The ones in the vanilla game aside from like, one or two, always vanished after a few seconds so I'd have to resummon them for every fight and it got annoying.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That's not how summons normally work. They stick around until you die/quit.

You do have a limited number you can have out though (starts at 1). If you summon another one then your old one will vanish.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
PaperBatVG

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

That's not how summons normally work. They stick around until you die/quit.

You do have a limited number you can have out though (starts at 1). If you summon another one then your old one will vanish.

I was probably doing something wrong then :shrug: Maybe I'll give it another shot this time around.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Do the turret summons have time limits? Follower summons definitely do not.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Straight White Shark posted:

Do the turret summons have time limits?

Yes.

Except for the ones sold by the tavernkeep during the related invasion event. Outside that event, they all have a time limit.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Farm hallowed mimics till you get the daedalus bow, load up with holy arrows, just hold the fire button down and jump around for the ten seconds or so it takes for the destroyer to liquify. The hardest part is finding where its head ends up.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Ambaire posted:

I promptly used it to make the 'Pineapple cannon' using HM ores from a slew of golden crates, upgraded it to +7 using Dushy's upgrade tokens, and killed the destroyer 11 times in one night with zero deaths.

You have no idea how many times in real life I've wished that I had a cannon that shoots whole pineapples.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, I also realized that my boss arena wasn't exactly cutting the mustard...

"Hey, it worked for the Eye! :v: Dammit, the Destroyer keeps wrapping around me!" Oh, and it was right next to my base so my NPCs kept getting destroyed.

So yeah, working on a proper boss arena now.

I'm debating if I should build another row at the bottom just to give myself more room; building up puts me into Wyvern territory.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm debating if I should build

:justbuild:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

King Doom posted:

Farm hallowed mimics till you get the daedalus bow, load up with holy arrows, just hold the fire button down and jump around for the ten seconds or so it takes for the destroyer to liquify. The hardest part is finding where its head ends up.

They fixed that, destroyer drops are spawned at the part of the body closest to the player. A good number of those 11 kills were with the destroyer head underground and all the drops were right near me.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I love how Santa just disassembles himself into a pile of body parts when you log in to the game after the holidays are over.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I got the Destroyer down to ~2000 hp...

and the loving sun came up he left.

e: And if I had summoned him instead of waiting for him to spawn when I saw the message, I probably would have had time to do it. Now I get to spend another day trying to find the loving skeleton merchant.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Whats the easiest way to get Souls now? The old 'artifiical meteor biome' trick doesn't work any more.

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

Ambaire posted:

I recently got back into terraria and for my 1.3.4 playthrough, I decided to get crazy with mods. Final mod count is almost 40, and they seem to be working ok together. I'm playing an expert mode large world and probably will push into hard mode today. There's something of everything in here. Note that this modlist is for tmodloader 0.9.0.3 and I have not tested the list with 0.9.1.x.

You can download the modpack here from my dropbox. It's about 150mb.

Are there any issues when running the mod pack in multiplayer? I've attempted to play a small modded two player game back when it was 1.3.3 and even with the same exact mod load out we ran into issues like chest contents randomly changing, actions not syncing on the other players screen, and doors corrupting the map and randomly producing water whenever they are opened.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
So uh, is there a way to get the Fuzzy Carrot back short of cheating? The angler gave it to me, but then my game crashed at that moment, so it disappeared from my character's inventory. But since the server is elsewhere, the angler remembers that I finished the fifth quest. Wiki says the only source of this item is from the Angler's fifth quest.

Edit: I just discovered free item servers

Argue fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 2, 2017

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

nexas posted:

Are there any issues when running the mod pack in multiplayer? I've attempted to play a small modded two player game back when it was 1.3.3 and even with the same exact mod load out we ran into issues like chest contents randomly changing, actions not syncing on the other players screen, and doors corrupting the map and randomly producing water whenever they are opened.

No clue. Try it and report back ;)

e. I have been experiencing random slowdowns every few hours of play where the game slows to a crawl and it's like I'm in bullet time... it sometimes fixes it after a bit but I've usually had to quit out and go back in, and one time it slowed so much I couldn't save and exit so I had to force close.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Oh, right; I posted my "mod" (in the loosest sense) in the LP thread but forgot the games thread.

I've been replaying the game during the holidays and decided to make an alternate music pack to switch things up for myself.
I figured I'd share it: http://personal.applegrenade.com/terraria/WaveBank.zip.

Just backup your old Wave Bank.xwb (rename it to wave bank.xwb.old or something) and put the new wavebank in its stead. You can find the file in Terraria's Content folder (\steamapps\common\terraria\Content). If you don't like it or get tired of it, you can just put the old one back. It's all pretty trivial.
Almost everything is replaced but the title song and the desert storm song (wasn't inspired).
I've put in some effort to make things loop well and generally made sure that the replacements are, at the very least, thematically good matches.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Finally! :woop:

Now that I know that I can beat him fairly easily (getting the Cross for the Star Veil helped a lot) I can start farming up a Hallowed set.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
My Terraria was crashing I finally understood why: Don't use a Life Drain on the twins while the frost set is applying frostburn on your arrows and green twin is using his flamethrower. Too many particles. I had to stop using life drain.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ambaire posted:

No clue. Try it and report back ;)

e. I have been experiencing random slowdowns every few hours of play where the game slows to a crawl and it's like I'm in bullet time... it sometimes fixes it after a bit but I've usually had to quit out and go back in, and one time it slowed so much I couldn't save and exit so I had to force close.

That fixed itself for me after i updated most of the mods. It still happaens very rarely when i throw an item off my hotbar to the ground and it grabs the empty hotbar spot until i move something to that spot.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

The Lone Badger posted:

Whats the easiest way to get Souls now? The old 'artifiical meteor biome' trick doesn't work any more.

You can use a massive underground ocean biome by draining an ocean into an underground layer hole (60 blocks deep by 80 blocks wide, about) at about 400 depth so souls of night can spawn. You can make an area above where you stand just above the surface of the water and only water mobs will spawn. If you then include some crimson, hollow or corrupt blocks you can change the biome type to drop souls of light or souls of night. Some summons or advanced traps (flame, geyser, etc) will really help speed along the killing, or if you've got the ring you can use this to farm tons of platinum too with a broken slime staff.

Hollowing out this much area is easiest with bombs or dynamite. It's a pretty big requirement, you'll want to make sure the only eligible places for mobs to spawn are in the water below where you're standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've managed to beat all the mechanical bosses; at this point there's nothing for me to really be doing beyond trying to get a full set of Chlorophyl Armor and grinding for Ankh Shield parts before attempting Plantera, right?