Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

She was protecting him from Hodor!
Poor Gene Yang having to start off writing all that baloney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

greatn posted:

Yes but Spider-Man is a kid and Superman is Superman with super hearing and x-ray vision which the public has a right to know about and his entire family is already dead anyway.

You sound like one of those Congressmen always trying to send the Sentinels after the X-Men.

That story was clearly some idiot editor in the Superman office just trying to prove to all the kids "This ain't yer daddy's Clark and Lois!" and that was the extent of thought given to that stupid story.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 1, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

X-O posted:

You sound like one of those Congressmen always trying to send the Sentinels after the X-Men.

That story was clearly some idiot editor in the Superman office just trying to prove to all the kids "This ain't yer daddy's Clark and Lois!" and that was the extent of thought given to that stupid story.

https://imgur.com/gallery/GFwB4U8

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

I assumed it was an editor trying to go "here, this will shut up people complaining about Superman x Wonder Woman!"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
:shrug:

Even if the start was stupid, the whole Truth arc was worth to see Superbro prove he was a real hero.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Superwoman is a hoot and a half, and a great tribute to the crazy, let's loving go for it attitude of 90's comic book stunts. I cherish and treasure it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/815446223704367104
https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/815449453008011264
https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/815449798681604097
https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/815450084024328192
https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/815448713216692224
https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/815448989193490432

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In my heart of hearts I was hoping Tom King'd get the Watchmen event (with something along the tone of his Vision series,) but after Darkseid War and the Rebirth special, sure.
Gary Frank on art, please.

e: Even clicking into the post about returning to comics, all Geoff's Twitter followers seem to care about are the movies.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 1, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Teenage Fansub posted:

In my heart of hearts I was hoping Tom King'd get the Watchmen event (with something along the tone of his Vision series,) but after Darkseid was and the Rebirth special, sure.
Gary Frank on art, please.

e: Even clicking into the post about returning to comics, all Geoff's Twitter followers seem to care about are the movies.

God gently caress Geoff Johns.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

She was protecting him from Hodor!
Poor Gene Yang having to start off writing all that baloney.
Pretty much why I never blamed him for the weirdness surrounding this arc -- as a prior reader of Boxers/Saints I already knew that this wasn't his ceiling -- and he at least managed to work in Superbro cutting a wrestling promo complete with a belt.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ImpAtom posted:

It's funnier that I even said:

Ah yes I remember that.

"Don't worry Cassandra. I have all the papers drawn up to adopt you and finally make you a part of this family that you have always wanted. I just need to take down these Black Glove losers first. Don't worry they are a complete bunch of push-overs.
I'll have that case wrapped up in two issues, tops. Then I'll sign all those papers.@

And he was never heard from again...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Question IRL posted:

Ah yes I remember that.

"Don't worry Cassandra. I have all the papers drawn up to adopt you and finally make you a part of this family that you have always wanted. I just need to take down these Black Glove losers first. Don't worry they are a complete bunch of push-overs.
I'll have that case wrapped up in two issues, tops. Then I'll sign all those papers.@

And he was never heard from again...

Jesus, even the one positive you could take from Adam Beechen's take on Cass got flushed down the shitter.

I really don't get why DC hates Cass so much (other than I guess NOT MUH BATGIRL).

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
What it comes down to is DC doesn't want anyone to be Batgirl but Barbara, and I think it has a lot to do with merchandising/branding. The thing with Robin is they almost all look the same, with maybe a couple costume variants for Tim and Damian, but the three main Batgirls all look distinctly different.

They've already been sticking with Barbara so long, she's the "Batgirl" in the eyes of the majority public (most of who don't even read comics I bet) so they're afraid to take a risk and push Stephanie and Cassandra more.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/815574129713774592

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I want a one shot of that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Johns is probably only writing the Rebirth one-shot that's dropping when the main titles hit #25.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Oh good Johns will be finally able to finish what he started in completely making GBS threads all over Watchmen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jiro posted:

Oh good Johns will be finally able to finish what he started in completely making GBS threads all over Watchmen.

Moore's done plenty of that on his own. He's turned into such a colossal rear end in a top hat that I look forward to his head exploding when Johns brings the Watchmen team into the DCU full time.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah Watchmen was a great and seminal book but people who treat it like it's an untouchable divinely inspired holy text are insufferable. Moore's habit of hating his own work whenever the public likes it too much doesn't help.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I can't wait for Comedian vs Joker: Rebirth part one of four

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Someone remind Geoff that Charles Soule made Alan Moore the in-universe avatar of storytelling (or something) in his Swamp Thing run, and if he doesn't use that and end it in the silliest deus ex meta way, he's dumb.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah Watchmen was a great and seminal book but people who treat it like it's an untouchable divinely inspired holy text are insufferable. Moore's habit of hating his own work whenever the public likes it too much doesn't help.

The fact that people are still anxious about its influence decades later is, I think, a clear enough indication of the influence of the divine Glycon upon the text of the prophet Moore (peace be upon him).

People (like me) treat Watchmen like that because it took a new approach to a familiar thing, and did it better than almost anybody else. Also, Watchmen actually has something to say about the world; aside from "Watchmen had an influence on comic books," I have yet to see anything to suggest this isn't just a story about "what if Batman punched the Comedian real good."

If you can't make it seem new, and and you can't do it better than anybody else, why are you touching it in the first place? Go do something else.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, but what if Batman punched the Comedian real good? What would happen you think?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If someone genuinely made me think they would do something interesting with Watchmen I wouldn't have a problem. Instead it feels like they're going to Watchmen because it's the most popular property they had they weren't exploiting and Geoff Johns is about at the bottom of my list for people I think could do a good Watchmen story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Alan Moore specifically called out Geoff Johns for building his entire career on a handful of things Moore himself wrote (which is hilarious because Stars and STRIPE was his major break and then JSA). So I see it as Johns taking a potshot back at Moore and it's loving hilarious.

"Oh I'm a little bitch am I? Well I happen to run DC Comics these days so I'm gonna loving wreck your legacy motherfucker."

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Moore's done plenty of that on his own. He's turned into such a colossal rear end in a top hat that I look forward to his head exploding when Johns brings the Watchmen team into the DCU full time.

That's fine and dandy, but I'm referring in the immediate sense of how Johns wrote in the whole Watchmen angle in the comic in the first place. It takes a Bendis quality in just ignoring the previous material completely and using something however you want to use it even when it's pants on head retarded.

Examples being every Bendis written event.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jiro posted:

That's fine and dandy, but I'm referring in the immediate sense of how Johns wrote in the whole Watchmen angle in the comic in the first place.

Please clarify this for me.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

Alan Moore specifically called out Geoff Johns for building his entire career on a handful of things Moore himself wrote (which is hilarious because Stars and STRIPE was his major break and then JSA). So I see it as Johns taking a potshot back at Moore and it's loving hilarious.

"Oh I'm a little bitch am I? Well I happen to run DC Comics these days so I'm gonna loving wreck your legacy motherfucker."

Yeah, uh, Johns has a ton of work before and after his Green Lantern stuff that has nothing to do with anything Alan Moore wrote. Even his Green Lantern stuff has a bunch of new concepts and characters that I'm pretty certain Alan Moore had nothing to do with, so I don't know how Alan Moore can think he was so utterly important to Johns' career.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Yeah, uh, Johns has a ton of work before and after his Green Lantern stuff that has nothing to do with anything Alan Moore wrote. Even his Green Lantern stuff has a bunch of new concepts and characters that I'm pretty certain Alan Moore had nothing to do with, so I don't know how Alan Moore can think he was so utterly important to Johns' career.

Alan Moore is a huuuuuuge bitch these days.

quote:

I was noticing that DC seems to have based one of its latest crossovers [Blackest Night] in Green Lantern based on a couple of eight-page stories that I did 25 or 30 years ago. I would have thought that would seem kind of desperate and humiliating, When I have said in interviews that it doesn’t look like the American comic book industry has had an idea of its own in the past 20 or 30 years, I was just being mean. I didn’t expect the companies concerned to more or less say, “Yeah, he’s right. Let’s see if we can find another one of his stories from 30 years ago to turn into some spectacular saga.” It’s tragic. The comics that I read as a kid that inspired me were full of ideas. They didn’t need some upstart from England to come over there and tell them how to do comics. They’d got plenty of ideas of their own. But these days, I increasingly get a sense of the comics industry going through my trashcan like raccoons in the dead of the night.

Read More: Alan Moore Puts on Red Lantern Ring, Takes a Potshot at ‘Blackest Night’ | http://comicsalliance.com/alan-moore-puts-on-red-lantern-ring-takes-a-potshot-at-blackes/?trackback=tsmclip

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jiro posted:

it's pants on head retarded.

That was most of what made the Rebirth Special what it was. Without the bewildering nonsense twist, the thing would have just been a boring sacherine fanboy make-good love fest.

I'm so glad there's this silly thing looming.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Johns couldn't wreck Moore's legacy even if he wrote a new Watchmen series.

Moore may be an old gumpy man nowadays, but Johns cannot touch him talent-wise, and only one of them is going to be considered a great author for decades and decades. And it won't be Johns.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

Alan Moore is a huuuuuuge bitch these days.

Meanwhile, in the works of Alan Moore: http://lxg.wikia.com/wiki/Antichrist

I find it hilarious that Alan Moore cares so much about about people using his old DC stories while he writes a comic reusing British literature characters, and Watchmen was going to reuse the Charlton Comics characters originally.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Meanwhile, in the works of Alan Moore: http://lxg.wikia.com/wiki/Antichrist

I find it hilarious that Alan Moore cares so much about about people using his old DC stories while he writes a comic reusing British literature characters, and Watchmen was going to reuse the Charlton Comics characters originally.

I respect the works of Alan Moore t a point. But I am completely over him and his "i hate all modern comics" bullshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I respect the works of Alan Moore t a point. But I am completely over him and his "i hate all modern comics" bullshit.

You shouldn't be because he's right and you're mostly just upset because he's calling them for what they are. Geoff Johns is an embarrassing trash-picker and the fact that people trying to go "Well, look at THIS Alan Moore thing!!" instead of arguing against it just kind of solidifies the fact.

It's frankly sad that people are so upset that someone said a mean thing about the lovely modern comic industry that they start trying to retroactively talk about how terrible Alan Moore was, not like great writer Geoff Johns!!!

And the fact you're cheering for a big company who fucks over writers constantly (including Moore) because Moore said a mean thing is even more ridiculous.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 2, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I have compassion for a century old man who gets emailed for his take every time anyone does anything with anything he's touched.
There was a segment in a recent Cinema Purgatorio recently where he turned the lives of the Warner Brothers into a Marx Brothers short and it was so savage that I'm thankful for any resentment that might've led to it :)

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

greatn posted:

Yeah, but what if Batman punched the Comedian real good? What would happen you think?

"Sir? This recent encounter with this new vigilante seems to have left you in some distress."

"When I fought the Joker, I thought I UNDERSTOOD. There was something in the darkness of Gotham that broke him. But at the end of the day, he's just another criminal, not that different from the REST of my rogue's gallery. He spends his days planting bombs, kidnapping people, trying to poison the water supply.

"This new player... he's seen the darkness in the WORLD, but he embraced it. Willingly. He's not broken, he's... something else. The atrocities he commits, the lives he takes... the Joker believes in nothing, but I think this new player might actually believe he's some kind of... patriot. He's been killing and terrorizing people for DECADES, all under the sanction of the star and STRIPES. How can I fight that, Alfred? How can I fight against someone who is the essence of not only a dark knight... but also a clown prince of crime?"

"No man is an island, Master Bruce. There must be people out there who know him. Who are familiar with the NIGHT he lives in, and can see him more clearly, like an OWL. I understand there's a rather intimidating gentleman in New York who shares a BLACK and WHITE view of the world not entirely dissimilar to your own who recently emerged around the same time. Perhaps there's some connection? If this... Comedian... has, as you say, been chosen as a WATCHMEN by the state, surely there must be those who, in turn, might also watch him?"

"Hh. Thanks, Alfred. Maybe we can still BEAT the clock."

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

You shouldn't be because he's right and you're mostly just upset because he's calling them for what they are. Geoff Johns is an embarrassing trash-picker and the fact that people trying to go "Well, look at THIS Alan Moore thing!!" instead of arguing against it just kind of solidifies the fact.

It's frankly sad that people are so upset that someone said a mean thing about the lovely modern comic industry that they start trying to retroactively talk about how terrible Alan Moore was, not like great writer Geoff Johns!!!

And the fact you're cheering for a big company who fucks over writers constantly (including Moore) because Moore said a mean thing is even more ridiculous.

I'm hardly upset that Alan Moore dislikes modern comics, I think a lot of his concerns are pretty justified. I just think it's silly for him to be going off on Geoff Johns for using some of his old GL stories, when Johns was already a pretty well-established writer before he ever touched Green Lantern, and plenty of his own work is based on what other people came up to begin with.

vseslav.botkin posted:

"Sir? This recent encounter with this new vigilante seems to have left you in some distress."

"When I fought the Joker, I thought I UNDERSTOOD. There was something in the darkness of Gotham that broke him. But at the end of the day, he's just another criminal, not that different from the REST of my rogue's gallery. He spends his days planting bombs, kidnapping people, trying to poison the water supply.

"This new player... he's seen the darkness in the WORLD, but he embraced it. Willingly. He's not broken, he's... something else. The atrocities he commits, the lives he takes... the Joker believes in nothing, but I think this new player might actually believe he's some kind of... patriot. He's been killing and terrorizing people for DECADES, all under the sanction of the star and STRIPES. How can I fight that, Alfred? How can I fight against someone who is the essence of not only a dark knight... but also a clown prince of crime?"

"No man is an island, Master Bruce. There must be people out there who know him. Who are familiar with the NIGHT he lives in, and can see him more clearly, like an OWL. I understand there's a rather intimidating gentleman in New York who shares a BLACK and WHITE view of the world not entirely dissimilar to your own who recently emerged around the same time. Perhaps there's some connection? If this... Comedian... has, as you say, been chosen as a WATCHMEN by the state, surely there must be those who, in turn, might also watch him?"

"Hh. Thanks, Alfred. Maybe we can still BEAT the clock."

What really needs to happen is for Batman to bust out tachyon-laced gloves so he can punch Doctor Manhattan while Manhattan reacts with shock and confusion about how a normal human could be beating him up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

I'm hardly upset that Alan Moore dislikes modern comics, I think a lot of his concerns are pretty justified. I just think it's silly for him to be going off on Geoff Johns for using some of his old GL stories, when Johns was already a pretty well-established writer before he ever touched Green Lantern, and plenty of his own work is based on what other people came up to begin with.

The difference is that Johns doesn't 'base his work on' stuff, at least with GL. He takes ideas he clearly didn't understand and uses them BECAUSE they were popular. I wouldn't say that about his Flash run but it is true for his GL run, and his GL run shot him way up in popularity.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's not true that Alan hates modern comics, they just need to be published by Avatar Press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Roth posted:

What really needs to happen is for Batman to bust out tachyon-laced gloves so he can punch Doctor Manhattan while Manhattan reacts with shock and confusion about how a normal human could be beating him up.

This is so awful and hilarious and I desperately want it to happen.