Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

this is the last banner i had to spend 50 mythril on. I got two 'veil of wyl' burst soul breaks and an "Deployment tactics"' for alphinaud, was that the jackpot? what was the big pull this banner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah those were some of the Big Deal relics.

Viel of Wiyu is a fantastic offensive BSB. While Deployment Tactics is a great support one, especially in Multiplayer.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cowcaster posted:

this is the last banner i had to spend 50 mythril on. I got two 'veil of wyl' burst soul breaks and an "Deployment tactics"' for alphinaud, was that the jackpot? what was the big pull this banner

There were two "big pulls". Veil of Wiyu was one of them, yes, as it's a super-good mage burst. The other is Y'shtola's BSB, on the Healer's Circlet.

Deployment Tactics is good, and will help you out significantly in multiplayer, but you're in the unfortunate place of having to choose between that and Aerial Blast for your main SB, since Alphinaud can't run Wrath/Lifesiphon.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

edit: yes i got two alphinaud books and his coaches in one 50 pull please do not stab me in an alley because i guess that draw is amazing?

double edit: ok maybe not super amazing?

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

My pull from the 14 banner got me:
Healer's Circlet
Wizard's Gloves
Curtana
Omnirod

Only got enough to do one more pull so I'm saving for TG. So how long until Veil of Wiyu comes back in another banner?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Had nothing from the banner, 2 pulls got all the ssbs. Shame no bsbs but might as well bow out while I'm ahead.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hey no one but onion knight and the keeper can use these books might as well throw them out

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Cowcaster posted:

hey no one but onion knight and the keeper can use these books might as well throw them out

Please don't give everyone in the thread an aneyurism.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Charles Bukowski posted:

So if I wanted to make a mage team, how many nukers do I need? I have Fire Lash, Evoker's Doublet and Wizard's Gloves for faithgas. For magic damage though I only have Rydia and Serah's bsb's. I don't think I could run 4 black mages and 1 healer. I could RW wall but I need debuffs, so I can run my own Tyro as a debuffer with SG. Tyro/Arc/X/X/X? Should I run both magic buffers and then Serah? Rydia? Should I only run 1 magic buffer and bring both Serah and Rydia? I suppose I could run Alph and Papy and bring an offensive magic bsb that one of them could use? I've been running a full physical party for a while now, I don't have much of a clue regarding magic.
You only really need two nukers. You can do three if you have one with a BSB, but generally you have two mages RWing your mage BSB of the day, a healer, someone with dances (or support if you have an atk/mag), and then misc (third nuker, Tyro, offhealer, etc.)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Alxprit posted:

Please don't give everyone in the thread an aneyurism.

At the same time, smashing them together isn't the worst idea, honestly. As stated, only Alphinaud, OK, and Tyro can use books, and FF14 isn't the most prolific realm for synergy.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean i'm gloating over my windfall but at the same time i've got 7 draws in the chamber for TG Cid and the law of karma means literally all of them are going to turn up empty

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Zebia posted:

My pull from the 14 banner got me:
Healer's Circlet
Wizard's Gloves
Curtana
Omnirod

Only got enough to do one more pull so I'm saving for TG. So how long until Veil of Wiyu comes back in another banner?

Summoner Lucky Draw supposedly has it, as well as the Terra OSB I missed on OSB1, so next month?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Charles Bukowski posted:

So if I wanted to make a mage team, how many nukers do I need? I have Fire Lash, Evoker's Doublet and Wizard's Gloves for faithgas. For magic damage though I only have Rydia and Serah's bsb's. I don't think I could run 4 black mages and 1 healer. I could RW wall but I need debuffs, so I can run my own Tyro as a debuffer with SG. Tyro/Arc/X/X/X? Should I run both magic buffers and then Serah? Rydia? Should I only run 1 magic buffer and bring both Serah and Rydia? I suppose I could run Alph and Papy and bring an offensive magic bsb that one of them could use? I've been running a full physical party for a while now, I don't have much of a clue regarding magic.
I do two RW BSB users with good SSBs/BSBs, a Faithga haver, Tyro with Breakdown + Full Break + SG, and healer. That's the general template I saw when mage teams started to make a comeback on JP so I've stuck with it.

Maria has been my RW of choice but I may try out Alphinaud. Once Raines BSB comes out on January 9, that becomes the choice RW BSB: party MAG/DEF buff on entry, Defend command is +MAG -RES, Attack command gives instant cast on next spell like Onion Knight's.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Yay, built up my mithril and pulled again, got veil of miyu! My mage party is my weakest link right now, so this certainly helps. Also got Y'shtola's early medica, which, whatever. I could use the synergy.

So now I have both Alphinaud things. They might not work together, but no problem. Different uses for different things, and super synergy for Alphinaud anyway.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Is Curtana still going to be an upgrade over level 99, partially sphered up Paladin Cecil - considering both are using +holy weapons and armour?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

acumen posted:

Is Curtana still going to be an upgrade over level 99, partially sphered up Paladin Cecil - considering both are using +holy weapons and armour?

Her BSB will do more damage against single targets, and she has more utility and versatility, thanks to being support 5 and the breakdowns on her burst commands.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So me and a few of my friends just tackled Apocalypse Gilgamesh now that one of us has Asylum and another has Aerial Blast.

I have now felt the tangible difference between steps of power creep. Between said friend's Counter Tackle providing blink and Asylum providing Stoneskin"Nullify Damage", I'd say a good third to half of Greg's Zantetsukens were soaked up with no effect whatsoever. Feels good.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah, I did CM Bartz yesterday and struggled but managed, and forgot to dispel his haste so I didn't master it.

Went back today after pulling her BSB and holy gently caress its easy. I dropped Asylum between the first and second opening blue mage salvos. First one hit, asylum heals all the damage and soaks a giant majority of the second one. Then the medica command 2 on top of it. That relic is a game changer. It's as tangible as shout was last year.

Funny that I chased wall for so long, finally got it from banner 1, and now I'll be right back to RWing it because there's no way I'm not using her burst.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Got Deployment Tactics, but I don't think it's compelling enough to justify putting Alphinaud in any teams that I've got. Given I have SG and I just RW Onion Knight or Shout he's just kinda there. Decent for the Cid mission, but total lack of weapons means I'm dragging in weapons from anywhere else.

A question though, for when I'm in a crap spot like this for weapons should I rosetta my FF7 Ragnarok? 30 extra attack on a 164 base weapon would make it pretty nasty for everywhere, and comical for FF7. I've got one holy sword rosetta'd out, so I'm not sure where to spend them or my very very old bad relics either.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Servaetes posted:

Got Deployment Tactics, but I don't think it's compelling enough to justify putting Alphinaud in any teams that I've got. Given I have SG and I just RW Onion Knight or Shout he's just kinda there. Decent for the Cid mission, but total lack of weapons means I'm dragging in weapons from anywhere else.
You can bring him along and it will stack with shout!

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Do I pull one more time chasing alphinaud burst or pull on Lightning OSB 2 for cid raines?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Servaetes posted:

A question though, for when I'm in a crap spot like this for weapons should I rosetta my FF7 Ragnarok? 30 extra attack on a 164 base weapon would make it pretty nasty for everywhere, and comical for FF7. I've got one holy sword rosetta'd out, so I'm not sure where to spend them or my very very old bad relics either.

A rosetta'd Ragnarok will pretty much be stronger than anything without synergy and most non-native-5* things that have synergy. A synergy Rosetta'd Ragnarok would be enough that Cloud wouldn't need Shout in order to hit the ATK softcap, most likely.

So it's definitely not a bad choice for augmenting up.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You can bring him along and it will stack with shout!

Wait poo poo, seriously? Does his buff stack with Onion Knight's thing too?

KataraniSword posted:

A rosetta'd Ragnarok will pretty much be stronger than anything without synergy and most non-native-5* things that have synergy. A synergy Rosetta'd Ragnarok would be enough that Cloud wouldn't need Shout in order to hit the ATK softcap, most likely.

So it's definitely not a bad choice for augmenting up.

Thanks for the advice, man. I'll be looking forward to the next 7 event toting it

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
First pull, 3/11: Wizard's Gloves, Omnirod, Curtana
Second pull, 2/11: Healer's Robe, Wizard's Gloves

Probably should have stopped after the first pull, but I wanted to take another shot at the Alphinaud relics. Still, Curtana was the thing I wanted most out of this banner so I'm satisfied. I now have two enholy BSBs and an imperil BSB (and Vanille's BSB has a holy WHM command), so my holy-nuke squad is shaping up according to plan and I still have almost 350 mythril left. Now I can safely focus on just pulling for synergy (and half-price draws) and otherwise building my stock back up for 2nd anniversary.

I've also got a native mage-Shout now, so I could theoretically run a decent BLM team even though I have poo poo for DPS soul breaks so I'd need a lot of hones. Really wish Ashe BSB hadn't gotten taken off the global banners now...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Servaetes posted:

Deployment Tactics has an identical buff to Vessel of Fate, +30% ATK/MAG on Status ID 610. All of the SBs that provide that effect give equal buffs, which means they just replace each other to no effective difference. The difference is in the chaser effects each one has.
  • Deployment Tactics (Alphinaud SSB) has Radiant Shield"Reflect Damage", which was just explained in the news posts
  • Vessel of Fate (Onion BSB) has Hastega (and the attached burst mode)
  • Maria's Song (Celes BSB) has single-target Enholy (and the attached burst mode)
  • Home Sweet HomeWinds of Home (Dorgann SSB) does wind-elemental damage on use but debuffs Dorgann's defense
  • Last Gasp (Tellah SSB) provides 0CT 1 (no cast time for the next action for all characters) but Dooms Tellah
  • Kashuan's Resolve (Gordon SSB) provides Physical Blink.

EDIT: Forgot Gordon, was corrected on Last Gasp being a full Powerchain effect instead of a Swiftspell effect

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 1, 2017

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Servaetes posted:

Nope. Buffs of the same type stack, and Alph's and OK's are both Atk/Mag+, so they'll stack with Atk+.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Oh wow, then I guess I'm probably dragging this weird looking dude around for everything.

im still gonna pull on banner 5 because I don't like this weird little guy buuuuuuut if I don't get gauntlets he can stick around, i reckon.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 1, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Combo posted:

Yeah, I did CM Bartz yesterday and struggled but managed, and forgot to dispel his haste so I didn't master it.

Went back today after pulling her BSB and holy gently caress its easy. I dropped Asylum between the first and second opening blue mage salvos. First one hit, asylum heals all the damage and soaks a giant majority of the second one. Then the medica command 2 on top of it. That relic is a game changer. It's as tangible as shout was last year.

Funny that I chased wall for so long, finally got it from banner 1, and now I'll be right back to RWing it because there's no way I'm not using her burst.

If only fights gave you enough time to pop SS2, 2-3 wrath uses, then asylum before everyone dies. Maybe with some s/l luck and frustration it'd be possible. You'd need to heal up with Asylum and burn another 1-2 wrath uses to reapply SS2 though.

I might try a magic team of Maria/Papalymo/Alphinaud/Tyro/Y'shtola. With a Maria/Alphinaud/Ashe/etc BSB as the RW. End result is Papalymo and Tyro using Leylines+SG, Maria nukes to build gauge, Alphinaud does whatever to build gauge to apply his SSB, and Y'shtola builds hers. Around the mid-point of the fight or when buffs get reapplied, Maria fires her BSB, Papalymo/Alphinaud use the RW BSB, Tyro keeps breaking things, and Y'shtola heals all the damage with her BSB. I'd have to imagine that having quickcast from Leylines immediately followed by 3 people firing off multi-hit murder bursts would result in an absurd amount of spike damage and most U/U+/U++ stuff would just crumble well before those burst modes wore off. Especially if they're hitting weaknesses.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Alphinaud is a cool dude :colbert:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I liked Alphinaud more in Heavensward when he got repeatedly clowned on.

Before then he was just insufferably arrogant.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
I like Alphinaud because he gave off an initial impression of being a dodgy little poo poo but then it turns out he's just a huge nerd who played too much FFT and wants to be like his grandpappy :kimchi:

Gonna craft Phoenix and make him carry it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Alphinaud was every goon in middle/high school, utterly convinced of how much smarter he was than absolutely everyone

He learned his lesson and became a pretty cool little dude though!

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Alphinaud's little blurb in the current event in FF14 is about how he was constantly in debate with his grandfather about how the Santa analogue in Eorzea didn't exists and was bullshit, as well all the convoluted plans for his grandfather to keep the charade up.

He was the smart little poo poo that keep shouting at the other kids that Santa didn't exist.

I DO like his development in Heavensward, mind you. He's pretty good a character.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Kind of unsure where to spend my last 50 mythril after the new years login. I have 5 uniques on the XIV banner and don't feel like drawing dupe/11 going for Alph's stuff.

I have shout, ley lines and blessing of light buff wise. For 30% atk/mag I have Gordon with his SSB and Goddess Bell SB.

Initial thought was to pull on OSBfest banner 5 but I'd only be after Onion Kids relic and Don't Chase etc. The rest of the banner is mediocre as hell but I don't have any dupes.

The other choice would be to pull on XIII banner 2. Again I'd only really be after Raines' BSB but he needs far less support than Alphinaud.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Beasteh posted:

Kind of unsure where to spend my last 50 mythril after the new years login. I have 5 uniques on the XIV banner and don't feel like drawing dupe/11 going for Alph's stuff.

I have shout, ley lines and blessing of light buff wise. For 30% atk/mag I have Gordon with his SSB and Goddess Bell SB.

Initial thought was to pull on OSBfest banner 5 but I'd only be after Onion Kids relic and Don't Chase etc. The rest of the banner is mediocre as hell but I don't have any dupes.

The other choice would be to pull on XIII banner 2. Again I'd only really be after Raines' BSB but he needs far less support than Alphinaud.

Wait for cid.

Don't sdo what I just did, and pull dupes :)

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I'm not planning to pull on TGCid. I 100 gemmed Agrias' BSB on banner 3 and don't care about Ovelia enough to pull just for her stuff (plus I have Agrias and Ramza complete so taking damage will Not Be a Problem)

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Final report on pulls. Ended up staying awake till 3am just so I could watch the insanity on Discord, and it was worth it. :v:

Dollar pull, 11-pull and 11-pull got me:
- Healer's Circlet
- Holy Shield
- Evoker's Doublet
- Omnirod
- Healer's Robe

It's not quite what I was hoping for, since the Veil of Wiyu was the thing that I wanted, but I shouldn't complain. I got access to three new special buffs (Stoneskin, damage reflect, last stand), one of the best healer BSB's, and zero dupes. I can stop here.

But I am a bit torn on my healer choices now though, since I also got Vanille's BSB earlier from OSB1. Vanille would offer instant entry, some rather sweet +Mind% boosting, and an attack. But Y'shtola would give the Stoneskin effect, better single target healing and being fueled by Wrath. I'm kinda leaning towards Y'shtola right now because of that last one. I could run something like Wrath + Curada, open the fight with Omnirods Proshellga+Heavy Regen, while Wrathing towards the BSB.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 1, 2017

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Decided I'd rather make a 2nd pull on this FF14 banner then pull on FF13 part 2. 2nd pull only got me 1 thing, but its the Veil of Wiyu! I have his BSB and SSB's now! Wheee heee mage party!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Adel posted:

Ugh, doing the relic poll on r/ffrk made me realize I went harder on this banner than I should've. Whaling feels bad, why do I never learn.

It's also killed off most of the desire I had for future banners. I was looking forward to the Summoner Banner, Seymour 2 (balls for Tidus, stuff for Rikku), the next OSBfest (if the banners worked for me), Aerith USB 1 (Cloud BSB2 and Zack's wind imperil), and Vanille USB 2 (Hope's BSB2, Raine's BSB). Now I just kinda want Cloud and Zack's wind BSBs for shenanigans with Alphinaud and Larsa's BSB (it's almost identical to Y'shtola's but I like him better) while doing any half off draws for the fun factor. I still kinda want Hope's BSB2 but it's not a must.

I guess I'm at the point where I just want to make parties with my favorites and get their cool poo poo but I keep forgetting that.

Going hard on powerful banners getting a lot of powerful poo poo means you have a lot more freedom to pull on less powerful banners to gear your favorites in the future. If you've already got stuff like trinity and good healer BSBs and good damage BSBs you can instead focus on pulling stuff for your weird favorite stuff like wanting to make the best Josef ever or something without compromising your ability to do the difficult content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

I had to wait for the New Year's Mythril Gift to do a 11-Pull, but drat if I wasn't glad I waited.

(6/11) Minifilia's Shield (times 2), Alphie's Doublet (times 2), Papa's Gloves & Y'shtola's loving Awesome BSB.

• Locked thread