Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

spit on my clit posted:

really what i wanted from Xenoverse 2 was a villain who instead of wanting to slightly power up villains of the timeline and maybe throw in Cooler to result in one of the most frustrating fights of the game, would just literally be a superfan of the DB and DBZ series who wants to rewrite the timeline to be his own stupid fan fiction. the twist would be that your character is the creation of the villain

So Brave and the Bold's Batmite, but for DBZ? Genius!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just loved Beerus in Xenoverse 1. The rules get rewritten by the main villain once more, Beerus is poised to blow up the Earth despite being adequately entertained - and then He fires the beam off to the right directly at the main villain and goes "You really thought you could control the GOD OF DESTRUCTION?! Congrats mate, you've just made my personal poo poo list". THen he stands by his later promise to let you beat up the villain because you proved you had what it took :3:

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Nuebot posted:

That's the biggest disappointment with 2. It even uses the exact same cutscenes for a lot of it with the only difference in the story being that oh no, the b-list movie villains are here now. Punch them between the exact same story missions you did last time. Time travelling in dragon ball opens up room for a whole lot of anything to happen, and they went with the most boring option.

I thought the part near the end where you go back to the start of XV1 and save your previous character from the time fuckers was a good attempt. It definitely needs a lot more just outright goofy poo poo like some of the PQs in the actual story, though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

dordreff posted:

I thought the part near the end where you go back to the start of XV1 and save your previous character from the time fuckers was a good attempt. It definitely needs a lot more just outright goofy poo poo like some of the PQs in the actual story, though.

The PQs should be the story, basically. All the fun stuff happens in them, like evil yamcha and super powered hercule. But the actual PQs aren't that fun after a while because you have to keep replaying them.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
The goal is for the villains to collect energy to do whatever, right? So they could at least have you fight the heroes sometimes, like a super-powered Krillin who's going to kill Frieza before Goku even arrives. Or let history get seriously hosed and you can't just go to the earliest point to fix the timeline because something something time ripples or whatever. Some excuse to actually have the story not just follow the main plot beats of the show.

I don't like how often it goes 'oh no you're completely outclassed, just hold on until help can arrive' while I'm kicking the rear end of whoever. No, if you didn't give them plot invulnerability while you were talking they'd be dead now. It's fine, I've got this.

Also Trunks is an enormous gently caress-up in both games and I don't understand why they keep him around.

dordreff posted:

I liked the bit when you're stopping Turles and Slug from using the dragonballs. Oh no, you can't possibly get there in time! Oh wait, just go back to base and we'll send you to an earlier point, it's all good. That annoyed me all throughout the first game and I'm glad the writers figured that out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gitro posted:

The goal is for the villains to collect energy to do whatever, right? So they could at least have you fight the heroes sometimes, like a super-powered Krillin who's going to kill Frieza before Goku even arrives. Or let history get seriously hosed and you can't just go to the earliest point to fix the timeline because something something time ripples or whatever. Some excuse to actually have the story not just follow the main plot beats of the show.

I don't like how often it goes 'oh no you're completely outclassed, just hold on until help can arrive' while I'm kicking the rear end of whoever. No, if you didn't give them plot invulnerability while you were talking they'd be dead now. It's fine, I've got this.

Also Trunks is an enormous gently caress-up in both games and I don't understand why they keep him around.

I liked the bit when you're stopping Turles and Slug from using the dragonballs. Oh no, you can't possibly get there in time! Oh wait, just go back to base and we'll send you to an earlier point, it's all good. That annoyed me all throughout the first game and I'm glad the writers figured that out.

They really missed out on their chance to do the dragon ball heroes thing and just have you fight super saiyan 3 raditz and poo poo because time went wrong, now you have to fix it.

EDIT: So finally playing the XCOM reboots or whatever and they're pretty great. But still XCOM. An alien made a crazy trick shot on one of my dudes, next turn everyone panics and shoots each other so now I have one guy who's half dead and hiding behind a bus.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 06:09 on Jan 1, 2017

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I have never cared about a rival in a Pokemon game and they seem to get more and more intrusive in every new edition. I don't care what you're up to, Hau, and I don't want to battle you every five minutes. Please leave.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Nuebot posted:

That's the biggest disappointment with 2. It even uses the exact same cutscenes for a lot of it with the only difference in the story being that oh no, the b-list movie villains are here now. Punch them between the exact same story missions you did last time. Time travelling in dragon ball opens up room for a whole lot of anything to happen, and they went with the most boring option.

The fact that Lord Slug and Turles are played up as big threats is funny because as you said they are B list villains of the highest order being from the older DBZ films way before Goku was a Super Saiyan as well.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I liked the idea of Turles and Slug getting super powered and roaming through time messing stuff up, we all know by now how Frieza would act in certain circumstances because he's been around forever. Turles and Slug are more wild since they only got movies for us to learn about them.

My main problem is there wasn't a single fight in the game where either of them were actually threats :smith: Poor guys, even Cooler got his time to be a badass, and he wasn't part of the overarching time plot.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nostradingus posted:

I have never cared about a rival in a Pokemon game and they seem to get more and more intrusive in every new edition. I don't care what you're up to, Hau, and I don't want to battle you every five minutes. Please leave.

Good think Hau isn't the rival and you, the player are HIS rival!!!!1

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I wanted a fun game to play over the Xmas period and Saints Row 3 was a loving good choice. However, the last few challenges I had to do require too many repetitions so I really had to go out of my way to do them. Also, the last few carjacking missions are painfully difficult. With the truck, the police can destroy you at will at any point during your incredibly slow drive over the length of the map. In another mission the cops will easily shoot your supposedly bulletproof vehicle to death. Finally, the survival missions require you to wait for a phone call and is immediately cancelled if you die. Obviously it would better if it were immediately accessible and repeatable like every other piece of side content.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

The fact that Lord Slug and Turles are played up as big threats is funny because as you said they are B list villains of the highest order being from the older DBZ films way before Goku was a Super Saiyan as well.

I liked them when I thought the plot was going to be about them being pissed off at no-one remembering them, but then they were just being manipulated by the blue witch and that's boring.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just bought a game on steam called Hieroglyphika. It's an Egyptian themed roguelike with the gimmick that there is no text in the game and everything is spelled out with pictograms. The thing dragging it down is that it's sooo loving slooooow. Every time you move you then have to watch all the traps resolve and then the enemies move one at a time. I didn't time it but I wouldn't be surprised if you had to wait upwards of ten seconds some times after making a move. And a move in this instance could be something like "move one square right" or "swing at and miss a mummy". The game needs to be an order of magnitude faster to be playable. I played two games over the course of 20 minutes and never even made it one screen length in. Glad steam has refunds now.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Death Zebra posted:

I wanted a fun game to play over the Xmas period and Saints Row 3 was a loving good choice. However, the last few challenges I had to do require too many repetitions so I really had to go out of my way to do them. Also, the last few carjacking missions are painfully difficult. With the truck, the police can destroy you at will at any point during your incredibly slow drive over the length of the map. In another mission the cops will easily shoot your supposedly bulletproof vehicle to death. Finally, the survival missions require you to wait for a phone call and is immediately cancelled if you die. Obviously it would better if it were immediately accessible and repeatable like every other piece of side content.
Call a tank for the survival missions, it makes them hilariously easy (they actually did make them regular activities in SR4, for what it's worth).

Also for the trickier carjacking ones, use the notoriety wipe after getting in the car.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I guess in the latest deus ex they didn't figure any players would actually buy or sell anything at the stores because no matter how much I sell or buy, when I leave the menu screen they only say variations of "gently caress off" or "do t waste my time"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That seems like a realistic depiction of the retail sector where I live, at least.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I made an impulsive last minute buy to get No Man's Sky to see if it was as bad as people say. And I'll be honest, it's exactly what I expected. A really chill game to waste time with, but one thing really does bother me. The planets are all randomly generated, right? Even your starting one. So I started on a toxic rock called cumpusher and I'm just dying constantly because the air is poison, and I need two things to get off. Space rocks to fuel the ship, and zinc to fix it. The rocks are all located at the top of really far off mountains. Like literally just a giant glowing blue pillar half the size of the mountain. And I still just straight up haven't found any zinc. You'd think the first planet would be slightly less randomly generated, but there you go.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Can you still return it?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

If you can still return no mans sky you really should. There's nothing in there. The closest thing to fun is the music is nice and sometimes the rng puts together a silly looking creature. Its like a bethesda game opening with all the possibilities before you but the sheer nothing to do that you finally see after 3 hours or so is staggering.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Nuebot posted:

So I made an impulsive last minute buy to get No Man's Sky to see if it was as bad as people say. And I'll be honest, it's exactly what I expected. A really chill game to waste time with, but one thing really does bother me. The planets are all randomly generated, right? Even your starting one. So I started on a toxic rock called cumpusher and I'm just dying constantly because the air is poison, and I need two things to get off. Space rocks to fuel the ship, and zinc to fix it. The rocks are all located at the top of really far off mountains. Like literally just a giant glowing blue pillar half the size of the mountain. And I still just straight up haven't found any zinc. You'd think the first planet would be slightly less randomly generated, but there you go.

Random means random. :colbert:

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Random means random. :colbert:

The day that game came out half a world learned what exactly "Procedural Generation" really meant for video games.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Fallout 4:

Why are there so many crafting ingredients? loving Adhesive. Apparently you need to grow a farm to get a supply of the stuff, when it's much easier to cheat because there are no drawbacks. Assassin's Creed isn't even an RPG and they just let you skip the foreplay and buy all the ingredients in a shop.

Why do I need to buy a whole load of perks and do all this busywork just so my stash can be accessed from any settlement? Geralt of Rivia never had to go into real-estate so he could use his magically transporting luggage.

It was when I gave an interview to Lois Lane did I realise how railroaded the conversations were going to be. She asked me what I was doing in the Commonwealth and I was given four different answers. Only, the dialogue doesn't progress unless you give the one answer, that you're looking for your son. This is a real sticking-point because it shows just how strongly the developers will curb any attempt at role-playing in their precious script.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

For the most part each ingredient comes from one major source and a bunch of smaller shittier ones. So for Adhesive, it's tape. There's a few things, like tape, you'll want to just obsessively hoard at all times unless you're just going to ~additem and not bother with the shittier aspect of it. Gating upgrades with the perk requirements was enough for me, those took a decent amount of stat and level investments. Nuclear Material and Crystal are the worst though, they're used for a lot of poo poo and they're really rare. Mods in particular love to use them for some reason.

The railroaded conversations get even more fun if you skip diamond city and stumble on one of the quest NPCs later on and you get to have a long conversation about how a character you've never met from a city you've never been to told you all about this guy and how he can help you find your son, and your character just magically knows who he is and what's going on all of a sudden.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 12:25 on Jan 2, 2017

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Fallout 4:

Why are there so many crafting ingredients? loving Adhesive. Apparently you need to grow a farm to get a supply of the stuff, when it's much easier to cheat because there are no drawbacks. Assassin's Creed isn't even an RPG and they just let you skip the foreplay and buy all the ingredients in a shop.

I absolutely adore crafting systems in games, especially like FO4's where every single item can be broken down into an ingredient, and somehow FO4 managed to sour me on crafting within half an hour. Everything about it is so annoying and rewardless and tedious. I've never seen a crafting system that SHOULD be fun get so monotonous. Especially when 90% of the stuff you loot just ends up being 20 kgs for 4 metal.

I don't know if they fixed it, but it used to be that if you dumped an item into the workbench, it would automatically get used for it's component parts while crafting, but it would only use the components needed and the rest would just disappear. This means you could end up accidentally using a fan for 1 metal while the precious screws inside it were sent to the shadow realm. As such, everything you looted you had to poo poo out of you onto the floor, then individually break down every single item individually.

I'm normally a huge bethesda fanboy and I still really like skyrim and the other 3d fallouts, but I just can't with Fallout 4 :(

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Danaru posted:

I absolutely adore crafting systems in games, especially like FO4's :words:

I think Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura had the best idea of crafting.

Only two components for every item. No having to haul around tons of common ingredients that are useless without the rare ones.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Nuebot posted:

Try turning on whatever the casual mode is called, creative mode I think? Or maybe Relaxed? I'm pretty sure that'll stop your suit draining, the whole idea is Maximum Chill

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

oldpainless posted:

I guess in the latest deus ex they didn't figure any players would actually buy or sell anything at the stores because no matter how much I sell or buy, when I leave the menu screen they only say variations of "gently caress off" or "do t waste my time"

Reminded my of my time in Budapest.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That I couldn't get anyone in Overwatch to take the bait and get mad at me for asking "does Tracer get any mechanical bonus for being gay or is it a completely pointless decision?"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

That I couldn't get anyone in Overwatch to take the bait and get mad at me for asking "does Tracer get any mechanical bonus for being gay or is it a completely pointless decision?"
It increases her movement speed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ahhh that makes sense. I just wasn't sure how the sexual identity of the characters tied into my storyless shootmans game and needed clarification but the other players rise above my low tier trolling

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

Ahhh that makes sense. I just wasn't sure how the sexual identity of the characters tied into my storyless shootmans game and needed clarification but the other players rise above my low tier trolling
Overwatch has a lot of story. Reaper can teleport because his father left when he was a child. Symmetra has stage 1 breast cancer.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also for the trickier carjacking ones, use the notoriety wipe after getting in the car.

I believe you can also cheese them by using the remote control. I know in 4 you can just carry the vehicle using the TK power.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Overwatch has a lot of story. Reaper can teleport because his father left when he was a child. Symmetra has stage 1 breast cancer.

Jesus Christ. It's 9.30am, whose been chopping onions??

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ever get that feeling of gayja vu?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Everyone is a piece of Mei's phylactery.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I thought Symmetra was autistic? I know Pharah is a quadruple amputee

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

If homosexuality make you faster does that mean Genji and Lucio are gay? And does Lucio's speed aura make everyone around him gay? Did Ana's nanoboost get the speed boosting part of it removed because it stopped making people gay?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Gay is not the only source of speed :argh:

you may die
Dec 15, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

Gay is not the only source of speed :argh:

While this is true,

Slime posted:

And does Lucio's speed aura make everyone around him gay?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Also why would Reaper and 76 be on the same team? MY IMMERSION BLIZZARD!