Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Logan 5 posted:

Doom, Deus Ex MK, and Dishonored 2 I had intended to wait until next sale since my backlog is big enough, but considering the praise for Doom and the discount I might get it now anyway.
It's even cheaper on bundlestars, I think. I've been considering it but my backlog is huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Doom is a great way to see your new video card at work. Plus they really nailed all the things that made the original doom awesome. Cool exploration and environments, and kick rear end battles with amazing enemies. They even added a story and cinematic elements and made them fit right into Doom.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
What're some chill building game? Since everything else I play is some competitive FPS or something, I need a good podcast and wind down game. I was looking at Cities Skylines and maybe the DLC. I was using Stardew Valley but I've had my fill of it for now.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Skylines is pretty good. It's mostly about managing traffic and watching your city grow so for a chill sit back and relax game it's pretty good unless you're the type to stress about all the garbage collection symbols that will pop up and obsess over the traffic snarls you'll create.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK last day of the sale question:

get ONLY watch_dogs 2

OR

get all of:
DOOM/Fallout/Skyrim Pinball
ICEY
The Bunker
Ori and the Blind Forest

OR
get any two of the above + ELITE: Dangerous

VOTE NOW!

Also, props to whoever recommended The Dweller, I'm having way more fun than 50¢ should buy me

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 1, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This is crazy beautiful and good so far. If you like metroidvanias in the slightest, get it.

I'll also anti-rec Elite: Dangerous for being fairly fiddly and unengaging - I tried it last year and refunded it, so... good luck with whatever you purchase, and enjoy it!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

get ONLY watch_dogs 2

OR

get all of:
ICEY
The Bunker
Ori and the Blind Forest

OR

VOTE NOW!

Also, props to whoever recommended The Dweller, I'm having way more fun than 50¢ should buy me

Honestly with those choices I would go with Watch Dogs 2. Still amazed how well that game turn out compared to the awful first game. So glad it easy to just ignore guns and just hack and use remote cars/drones to do your sneaking now.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Doom will always come up higher on my list, there's always next sale to grab Watch Dogs 2 and it can only get cheaper from here.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ularg posted:

Doom will always come up higher on my list, there's always next sale to grab Watch Dogs 2 and it can only get cheaper from here.

That's Doom pinball, not Doom.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

get ONLY watch_dogs 2

OR

get all of:
ICEY
The Bunker
Ori and the Blind Forest

OR

VOTE NOW!

I've only played an hour and change of ICEY but it seems really good, Ori is very pretty but mediocre gameplay-wise, don't know much about the others.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's Doom pinball, not Doom.

My mistake, carry on.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Those pinball tables aren't even on sale.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'd rather buy Watch Dogs 2 in a year when it's $10. It's defiantly not even close to being on the "got to have this now" list of games.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Darkhold posted:

Skylines is pretty good. It's mostly about managing traffic and watching your city grow so for a chill sit back and relax game it's pretty good unless you're the type to stress about all the garbage collection symbols that will pop up and obsess over the traffic snarls you'll create.

What's the best historical city building game these days? I have a feeling that I would get bored before mastering the learning curve in a modern city building game, but I remember how I used to enjoy Caesar III back in the days.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Ghost 1.0 is a solid metroidvania. The dev really took the feedback from UnEpic to heart and created one hell of a game. It's half-off now, so if you're on the fence, don't be. It's good fun all around.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bolivar posted:

What's the best historical city building game these days? I have a feeling that I would get bored before mastering the learning curve in a modern city building game, but I remember how I used to enjoy Caesar III back in the days.

Of games that are on sale, Dawn of Discovery is probably the best fit for a historical city builder

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Of games that are on sale, Dawn of Discovery is probably the best fit for a historical city builder

I'll have a look. "Anno 1404" in Euro Steam.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm only a few hours in but Watch Dogs 2 seems outstanding. The characters are instantly likeable in a way I'm just not used to in videogames.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I'm a little confused by the Civilization: Beyond Earth reviews on Steam. Does the expansion, which seems to be liked, fix the problems people had with the game?

edit: Or is the main complaint just "It's Civ 5 with a new skin", which isn't a negative in my book.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 1, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I waffled on Death Road to Canada, then finally gave in and picked it up - and my goodness, is the game good. Have a story:

I met a Magical Girl on the way to Canada, and figured - why not? She was a great party member: powerful, used magic to beat up zombies, was good at climbing trees to scout the area - except that she got more anime by the day.

But not just any kind of anime, no: the bad kind.

So we made it to an infested city, worried by our new eldritch magical girl - but the only way through the city was through the sewers, so we decided to leg it, and - well.

She got so anime she exploded and took out Angela along with some other zombies.

Which, uh. Great. Carlos and Lotte braved on - until Lotte got caught in a group of zombies and died, and Carlos took a wrong turn and got cornered.

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

get ONLY watch_dogs 2

If you like open world games, then yah I'd just go with watchdogs 2. Quite a fun game. I did not regret purchasing it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Blattdorf posted:

Ghost 1.0 is a solid metroidvania. The dev really took the feedback from UnEpic to heart and created one hell of a game. It's half-off now, so if you're on the fence, don't be. It's good fun all around.

Agreed. Bought it during the sale and finished in roughly 15 hours. The only stinker is a rescue mission near the end but it's entirely skippable and you won't miss anything by skipping it either.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

I just want to add that if you are seriously considering E:D, you'll want to get the Horizons add-on as well for the planetary landings and Engineers etc. So that's another $20 or something to factor in.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Over $10 for 3 tables that aren't even on sale isn't a good idea. I'm a big pinball fx fan but you should really just get the tables that are on sale, there are tons of them. If you already own all of them except the Bethesda one then...you really don't need those new tables like right now, play the old ones and get 3 great discounted games for that price.

I'd go for Ori, Icey and Elite Dangerous.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Wait, is Elite Dangerous a done game and not one of those space things stuck in EA hell? Is it the one that has like yearly season passes or something? Why is every Steam review a two thousand word screed?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think elite dangerous is a "done" game in that they're mostly finished with the base game (but are still doing expansions) but with quotation marks because their idea of finished doesn't require actually having much content.

Every review is a screed because no-one can decide whether or not it's right for the game to be not much more than flying around and shooting random dudes in random places.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

kater posted:

Wait, is Elite Dangerous a done game and not one of those space things stuck in EA hell? Is it the one that has like yearly season passes or something? Why is every Steam review a two thousand word screed?

What's there is 'done' but they basically have season pass kinds of thing for new stuff they add. So you can play with just the original, but you can't land on planets and drive around without Horizons. I don't think they've announced what will be on the next 'season pass', but sooner or later it sounds like they want to add some sort of first person stuff. I think it's similar to a lot of games with DLC or expansions really, so like Civ 5 was a complete game but the expansions added a lot of new stuff. A lot of reviewers are just pissed because they feel like the expansions/DLC/whatever should be free (see: Total War: Warhammer reviews for another example).

I'm not one to belittle other people's opinions on games, but there is a weird sort of entitlement thing going on with some game communities that makes no sense to me. For some games it's just understood and accepted that the game will be coming out with expansions and such (Civ, Starcraft 2, MMOs, Paradox games, etc) but for others it's considered some sort of highway robbery.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Flatulance-a-lot posted:

So I'd say my favorite game I got this sale is Hand of Fate . It's kind of hard to explain the game, so I'd recommend watching some videos, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

Card dungeon crawling meets batman fighting. Done. Anyone else need help? :)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Okay, how about some brief trip reports for the sale gifts/games I've played?

Attack on Titan

This is FUN AS HELL. They've managed to nail the Spiderman-like gear almost perfectly without it getting too overwhelming. Swinging around and stabbing uncanny valley giants in the neck will likely get old eventually, but for now I'm quite entertained. Probably not worth it at the current asking price unless you're a huge fan of the source material.

Defect

Interesting game where you build a ship and complete a mission, only for that ship's crew to mutiny and become a boss for the next mission. I wish there was a way to completely disable the dialogue though as it just slows down the central concept. I'd rather it just be the fights without any semblance of story since there's not really a story anyways.

Master of Orion remake

It's Master of Orion modernized and refined. Extremely solid, though feels a little simple compared to a lot of the modern competition. Still, I'm sure I'll dig into it after I get bored of Stellaris.

Anna's Quest

Surprisingly solid adventure from Daedelic that avoids most of their usual troubles.

Bot Vice

Hard as hell top down shooter. Considering refunding simply due to the difficulty but we'll see.

Final Dusk

Decent enough little puzzle game where you have to rearrange furniture and block out light to allow a vampire to cross the levels.

OneShot

Good little Zelda-like that I can't say too much about without spoiling. If you love games that pull odd meta tricks, this one's for you.

Nelly Cootalot and the Fowl Fleet

GREAT little adventure game that feels almost like Monkey Island if written by Terry Pratchett. VERY British-based humor and therefore I'm sure I've missed some jokes/references but it's charming as hell.

Quadrilateral Cowboy

Odd little mindbender from the maker of 39 Steps. A puzzle game where you plan out heists using a VR environment and text commands. Not too long but fun and has recently been opened up to the workshop so fan campaigns exist already.

Tiny Guardians

Fun little tower defense like where your towers and defending objective are mobile. Highly recommended (though I still rate Kingdom Rush and Immortal Defence higher)

Princess Remedy In A Heap of Trouble

A continuation of a rather fun freeware title. Has loads of charm.

The Turing Test

If you want more Portal and Talos Principle, here it is. Not really that much else to say as this is basically those two, but in spaaaaaace.

INSIDE

Not much else to say about this one as it's been covered already. Amazing atmosphere, but very simple puzzles.

Slayaway Camp

Fun little puzzler based on 80s horror where you play a masked murderer stalking teens all presented in an adorable voxel style (similar to the "8-bit" RTS games and Minecraft)

ABZU

Perfect chill out game for when you just want to see a pretty world and soak it all in. From the makers of JOURNEY which sadly never left the Sony platforms.

A Magical High School Girl

Fun little top down level-based action-RPG thing. The main gimmick is that you find one time use items you can rename that gain different abilities based on what you name them.

Overall very happy with my sales games this year (most were from the gift train, admittedly.) Don't think I'll be buying much for quite a while now.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm with the whiners on E:D, really. There's just not really anything to do. You can fly around and shoot stuff and go into randomly generated star systems, but there's no real reward or even variation. I kept playing it hoping maybe I'd find somewhere I could buy some more interesting guns or get into some bigger fights, but none of that ever happened. SC2, Civ, Total War, MMOs, those all have plenty of stuff to do.

Bottom line, I think all those other games you've listed have enough game to be worth paying the price for. I do not think that about Elite Dangerous. I don't think it's unreasonable to be unhappy that they're putting out expansions when the base game doesn't feel like an actual game.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

Okay, how about some brief trip reports for the sale gifts/games I've played?

Attack on Titan

This is FUN AS HELL. They've managed to nail the Spiderman-like gear almost perfectly without it getting too overwhelming. Swinging around and stabbing uncanny valley giants in the neck will likely get old eventually, but for now I'm quite entertained. Probably not worth it at the current asking price unless you're a huge fan of the source

Yeah, was hoping this one got a larger discount, but I guess it released fairly recently. Is there much variation with the giants, or is it pretty much the same formula for each one?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kragger99 posted:

Yeah, was hoping this one got a larger discount, but I guess it released fairly recently. Is there much variation with the giants, or is it pretty much the same formula for each one?

The special guys like the armored ones need you to target some limbs, target from certain angles, etc. before bringing them down but overall it's not THAT different.

There's more variation based on the character you're playing as really. Erin's got his transformation gimmick but is otherwise fairly weak, Mikasa is a chain striking murder machine and Armin gets HUGE command bonuses if you work together with the rest of the squad.

There's another 7 you unlock for the free mode that have their own quirks, but I haven't touched those yet.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Relax Or DIE posted:

What're some chill building game? Since everything else I play is some competitive FPS or something, I need a good podcast and wind down game. I was looking at Cities Skylines and maybe the DLC. I was using Stardew Valley but I've had my fill of it for now.

Planet Coaster is very good and filled with powerful building tools. The management aspects are lightweight enough that it's pretty easy to make a baseline profitable park with minimal effort.

The downside is that it's easy to feel overwhelmed at the options and/or depressed at how much better everyone on YouTube is than you.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Mokinokaro posted:

Bot Vice

Hard as hell top down shooter. Considering refunding simply due to the difficulty but we'll see.

OneShot

Good little Zelda-like that I can't say too much about without spoiling. If you love games that pull odd meta tricks, this one's for you.

Princess Remedy In A Heap of Trouble

A continuation of a rather fun freeware title. Has loads of charm.

Bot Vice packs as much action in as little time as possible. It's tough, but rewarding. I say stick with it. Which stage are you on?

OneShot is really cool. If you like RPGMaker games, get this one, you'll love it.

Princess Remedy 2 is more polished than the first game, and also more challenging.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Blattdorf posted:

Bot Vice packs as much action in as little time as possible. It's tough, but rewarding. I say stick with it. Which stage are you on?

Only 3 or 4. The couple times I've tried my carpal's been bad.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Did Gat Outta Hell end up being good? I heard it was wonky when it was first released.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Bought me some Dark Souls I and II. Thought I was finally ready and could obtain video game zen mastery and knock these off my bucket list.

Nope.

Refunded just in time to get steam wallet credit before the sale ends tomorrow. Whew.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Deformed Church posted:

I'm with the whiners on E:D, really. There's just not really anything to do. You can fly around and shoot stuff and go into randomly generated star systems, but there's no real reward or even variation. I kept playing it hoping maybe I'd find somewhere I could buy some more interesting guns or get into some bigger fights, but none of that ever happened. SC2, Civ, Total War, MMOs, those all have plenty of stuff to do.

Bottom line, I think all those other games you've listed have enough game to be worth paying the price for. I do not think that about Elite Dangerous. I don't think it's unreasonable to be unhappy that they're putting out expansions when the base game doesn't feel like an actual game.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being unsatisfied with the game itself (it didn't stick with me either since like you I found it boring), I just don't think that disliking a game makes me entitled to getting expansions/DLC for free, especially when it was pretty clear about what extra stuff the expansion contained (so I knew I wasn't going to be able to land on planets when I bought it).

I do understand the frustration though when DLC/expansions 'fix' a game. Civ 5 didn't really do much for me until the second expansion.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Givin posted:

Bought me some Dark Souls I and II. Thought I was finally ready and could obtain video game zen mastery and knock these off my bucket list.

Nope.

Refunded just in time to get steam wallet credit before the sale ends tomorrow. Whew.

What made you drop them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

Did Gat Outta Hell end up being good? I heard it was wonky when it was first released.

I enjoyed it a lot.

• Locked thread