Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is there a point in creating Duchy titles if you already have the title for that Kingdom? (I'm the king of Ireland but I haven't created a couple of its duchies yet, it's really expensive)

I imagine they might be useful if you want the CB to take that land for yourself instead of making them your vassal, or for inheritance purposes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elman posted:

Is there a point in creating Duchy titles if you already have the title for that Kingdom? (I'm the king of Ireland but I haven't created a couple of its duchies yet, it's really expensive)

I imagine they might be useful if you want the CB to take that land for yourself instead of making them your vassal, or for inheritance purposes?

You have a vassal limit. It won't be a problem as long as you are just the king of Ireland, but if you gain more land you will need to create duchies to reduce the number of your direct vassals. But if you just formed the kingdom, there's no pressing need to create duchies.

But they can come in handy if you try to conquer Scotland for example. If you fabricate/inherit claims to two of the three counties in a duchy, you can later create the duchy to get a de jure claim on the missing county.

Edit: Only dukes and higher can create tech points, so if you have few dukes it will inhibit the tech growth of your realm a bit. But it's usually no concern.

By the way, you don't need to create the duchies yourself. If a vassal has enough of the counties in a duchy, he can create it himself once he has the money.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 31, 2016

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just won a Crusade for Andalusia after I asked for it (having donated 300 ducats to the Pope's slush fund).
The HRE, despite having 4 Counties within Spain, sat and did gently caress all, leaving it to me and the Pope to trek around squashing Hispania's armies while dealing with a crappy 14k supply limit. And you can probably guess how far the Pope's 8k troops went, up against the Umayyad's doomstacks.
I've set up 3 Merchant Republics and a Prince-Archbishopric and gave a couple of regular Duchies away. I'm hoping my vassal Republics will get up to financial speed quickly.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

beergod posted:

Is it normal to go like months and months with nothing happening? I'm waiting for my diplomat to find a casus belli so I can go to war with a neighboring place but not much else is going on. I set the rest of my dudes to research.

It can definitely happen, especially if fabricating a claim is the only way to expand at the moment. You'll probably want to make sure your chancellor has a good diplomacy score because that effects the likelihood of fabing a claim drastically. If none of the dudes in your realm are particularly good you can use the character search to find good diplomats from all over the world who might be willing to join your court. There's also a chance the target might bribe your chancellor to not do his job so if you go a couple years without a claim you might want to have him target someone else.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Just picked this up and a few hours in, I'm trying the 1066 Ireland thing, I've won Desmond but I don't see anything saying I can create the Duchy of Mumu, will I get the option when I have the gold, or where should I see it?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Dutymode posted:

Just picked this up and a few hours in, I'm trying the 1066 Ireland thing, I've won Desmond but I don't see anything saying I can create the Duchy of Mumu, will I get the option when I have the gold, or where should I see it?
There would be an alert on the top of the screen, looks a little like a shield. You shouldn't see it now, though, since IIRC you already control the Duchy, and that's how you get the CB to conquer Desmond. You don't (necessarily) need the whole duchy to create the title, just 51+% of it, then you get a de jure CB for the rest.
E: It also won't wait for you to get the gold, it'll just say "You can create this title as soon as you get the gold/piety".

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

shut up blegum posted:

Yeah, didn't really think about that until I gave my son a duchy while he was already mayor or something? Don't really know. But it's not that bad. We'll see how it goes with my other heirs.

EDIT: wait. Apparently my new heir is my grandson, son of the doge. So he'll inherit the kingdom of Sicily later, but what will happen when his dad dies? Will I lose the trade Republic of Venice?

It depends on what he inherits first. If you die first and he inherits the kingdom of Sicily, he'll be disinherited for the Republic. If his dad dies first, the opposite happens. Also bear in mind that because trade Republics have their own succession mechanics, your grandson might not actually end up inheriting Republic anyway.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

kingturnip posted:

Just won a Crusade for Andalusia after I asked for it (having donated 300 ducats to the Pope's slush fund).

How do you request a Crusade?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Elman posted:

Aside from the mentioned vassal limit you can also toss counts that despise you under a duke. Only your direct vassals can affect you all that much; a vassal of a vassal can't join a faction against you. Of course the other snag there is that then you have a more powerful duke so if his heir despises you then...welp!

Titles are also a good way to get people to like you.

Managing a big realm is pretty drat difficult but really that's what makes the game fun. Keeping a single, small kingdom together isn't all that tough but balancing power in an empire can be trying.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coward posted:

How do you request a Crusade?

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Crusades,_jihads_and_great_holy_wars#Requesting_a_crusade

It's not super intuitive so it's not surprising if you missed it. You have to go to the diplomacy menu for the crusade TARGET, not the Pope, and there can't have been a crusade within the last 30 years (which means there's a limited time window to request one since the Pope is likely to call one on his own eventually if he can).

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Aside from the mentioned vassal limit you can also toss counts that despise you under a duke. Only your direct vassals can affect you all that much; a vassal of a vassal can't join a faction against you. Of course the other snag there is that then you have a more powerful duke so if his heir despises you then...welp!

Titles are also a good way to get people to like you.

Managing a big realm is pretty drat difficult but really that's what makes the game fun. Keeping a single, small kingdom together isn't all that tough but balancing power in an empire can be trying.

I like empire management specifically for this reason. Plus I just like dealing with a handful of kings and a few dukes. That said I love a good civil war because it allows me to clean out rivals and poo poo, revoking their crown and bestowing it on a more favorable duke. I do everything I can to keep the entire realm happy but if somebody's opinion is way in the negative I'll sometimes just turbofuck them until they start poo poo and I can strip their title.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Can someone mod in Mormonism as a Catholic heresy where you are able to have secondary wives and if u get caught by a courtier drinking a hot beverage u get excommunicated

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

darthbob88 posted:

There would be an alert on the top of the screen, looks a little like a shield. You shouldn't see it now, though, since IIRC you already control the Duchy, and that's how you get the CB to conquer Desmond. You don't (necessarily) need the whole duchy to create the title, just 51+% of it, then you get a de jure CB for the rest.
E: It also won't wait for you to get the gold, it'll just say "You can create this title as soon as you get the gold/piety".

I am finding it can be a little buggy with creating titles, you sometimes have to go to that little sidebar on the far right that's almost entirely hidden and enable the alert. I've fixed that but now I'm not getting updates on educating heirs, which is annoying.

I also ran into the bug where I cancelled a betrothal because it was going to give me a non-agression pact I didn't want. Betrothal cancelled but pact remained, did some Googling and apparently it's a bug? Just console-killed the guy (really interesting to get a peek at all those normally hidden attributes) and continued on as usual.

Various Meat Products posted:

It's one of the possible outcomes for Playful children, which explains getting it at age 16 exactly. Have you been using the Etiquette education a lot?

I don't have Conclave (I think I'm just missing that and Horse Lords) so no idea!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In Ireland your goal is to unite Ireland, then maybe Brittania if you feel like it.

I find Wales is usually easy pickings once I have Ireland united (or even a little before), although in my latest game England has been unusually on-the-ball, making it a bit trickier/riskier. It does have the benefit of being right next door and not needing you to boat up your levies though.

I am going after Brittany now that I've got Ireland and Wales (picked up Charlemagne this week, so I want to try creating an empire, and need that third King title), I grabbed two counties that were revolting to start out. The Navarrese inherited the rest somehow, but they are only like one county back in Spain, so should be pretty easy to knock over the rest. On the downside I already have the wisearse Duke of Anjou trying to fabricate a claim, last thing I need is a war with the French. I gave a barony in my capital to the wrong guy and it's now French so I'm kind of resigned to it, unless they erupt into a pretty serious civil war or something.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 1, 2017

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So apparently physicians can't do anything for themselves so if they come down with something while the gates are shut your only options are to expel them or throw them in the dungeon, and because you're secluded you can't order a search for a new one.

poo poo

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Lol I just ate my daughter. Meat is back on the menu indeed

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

what

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cannibalism or incest, take your pick in this game.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

shut up blegum posted:

Yeah, didn't really think about that until I gave my son a duchy while he was already mayor or something? Don't really know. But it's not that bad. We'll see how it goes with my other heirs.

EDIT: wait. Apparently my new heir is my grandson, son of the doge. So he'll inherit the kingdom of Sicily later, but what will happen when his dad dies? Will I lose the trade Republic of Venice?

Most likely they will elect someone that's not your grandson. Merchant republics pass to the heads of major houses in the republic through election. So you won't "lose" the republic, it will just have a different, probably unrelated to you ruler.

The city of Venice your grandson will inherit, but you'll get a wrong holding type malus until you give it to someone else.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

My court was secluded and we ran out of pickled pig heads. My character caught his daughter eating the last of the food and the first option in response was "Meat's back on the menu!" which made me eat her.

Funny thing was that the mother's opinion of me did not change at all.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Out of money, need 100 more soldiers to finish my siege. Jews all tapped out. What can I do/

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I once caught my daughter twice stealing food. Three strikes and you're eaten is my policy for close family. Lucky for her the gates were able to be opened before it got to that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

beergod posted:

Out of money, need 100 more soldiers to finish my siege. Jews all tapped out. What can I do/

Cut out enough levy to send home and raise whatever reinforcements you've gained during the war, while leaving enough to prevent them from raising their own. If you're at full levy cap, :shrug:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

beergod posted:

Check your dungeons for ransoms.

e: this is the CK2 equivalent of "turn out their pockets and look for loose change"

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 1, 2017

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
You could try to weasel some dough out of the pope.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I won a war against a neighboring country and then some usurper guy randomly came into power right away. I couldn't make peace with him and take his poo poo because the war was over, so I started a plot against him because I'm his heir's liege. He discovered the plot and has been in hiding forever and I can't do poo poo, so the whole war was a bust.

Should I kill his wife to bring him out of hiding? What can I do?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What were you fighting over?

From the way you describe it, it sounds like putting that guy in power was the whole point of the war.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

You could try to weasel some dough out of the pope.

Do you need a DLC for that? I can't seem to ask the Pope for much. Just a divorce and stuff like that. Do I just need him to like me more?

Also (sorry about all the newbie questions), should I make any changes to the default game rules? I've noticed the game didn't have shattered retreat on release and they added it later, do I wanna keep it on?

Elman fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 1, 2017

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elman posted:

Do you need a DLC for that? I can't seem to ask the Pope for much. Just a divorce and stuff like that. Do I just need him to like me more?

Yes, you need Sons of Abraham for that. It introduces the College of Cardinals and other mechanics related to the Papacy. It also unlocks the cool Muta'zelite and A'shari traits for Sunni Muslims, and makes Jews playable.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Feast in Valhalla, Ragnarr "Sword of the Allfather", Scourge of Rome, Fylkir of the Fylkirate, King of England and Irland, and Emperor of Midgard. Only one so glorious as you deserves to sit at Odin's right hand.

You died of butt cancer.

He actually had two more wives and 5 more children after this screenshot was taken. After this wife died he married his brother's widow for political reasons (I wanted to get the child King of Sweden tutored by me) but within days of marriage I caught her cheating on me with some Scottish count. Turns out he was quite the player and had made many enemies of my vassals so there was no objection to my trying to imprison him. Except he slipped through my fingers and fled. I divorced my wife after she had his bastard and married my fourth wife before passing away a week later.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Elman posted:

Also (sorry about all the newbie questions), should I make any changes to the default game rules? I've noticed the game didn't have shattered retreat on release and they added it later, do I wanna keep it on?

Meh, before shattered retreat, if you defeated an army they would flee to the next county and you could kill the rest of them there. That made your warscore go up really fast. With shattered retreat, they flee really far away (and maybe split up?) so you can't easily go after them. Thus waging war is slower. Personally I turn it off, because I'm used to the previous system.

Another question: what happens if I have a claim on Rome and successfully press it? Will the pope become my vassal? And if so, will he pay me a shitload of taxes, since a ton of bishops pay taxes to him? And will other Christian rulers come to his defence if I attack him? I'm a Christian myself by the.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
No, you'll just have Rome and all of Christendom asking you to give it back to the Pope.

If you want the Pope as a vassal, you need to be an empire, set up an antipope, and press his claim on the papacy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

shut up blegum posted:

Meh, before shattered retreat, if you defeated an army they would flee to the next county and you could kill the rest of them there. That made your warscore go up really fast. With shattered retreat, they flee really far away (and maybe split up?) so you can't easily go after them. Thus waging war is slower. Personally I turn it off, because I'm used to the previous system.

Another question: what happens if I have a claim on Rome and successfully press it? Will the pope become my vassal? And if so, will he pay me a shitload of taxes, since a ton of bishops pay taxes to him? And will other Christian rulers come to his defence if I attack him? I'm a Christian myself by the.

Pressing a claim on Rome will simply give you the county. The pope will relocate to one of his other holdings, or he will "reside in Rome" as a holding-less character still in control of the Papacy. You can only vassalize him if you create an antipope and then press the antipope's claim on Rome. Your antipope will become the new Pope, and he will remain your vassal if you are an emperor.

By the way, they nerfed the amount of taxes you get from the Pope some patches ago.

Oh, and nobody will come to the Pope's defense, there's no special mechanic for it. If the Pope has allies for some reason then they might help him, but otherwise, he's on his own.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

My seduction-focus strong attractive omnifucker king died at age 22 while repelling a pathetic Viking raid.

His brother took over (and in the same battle immediately killed the Viking chieftain who was responsible for his ascension, which was pretty cool). This new guy had his elder brother as rival, gloated over his death, and he's wroth, cruel, and paranoid. So the question is: what should happen to the former king's bastard sons who are currently running around all over the castle? :allears:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
My Charlemagne run where I'm using his cheesy CB on Lombardy to reform the Roman Empire has hit a snag: he contracted the Great Pox, and though the monk physician's faith healing worked, it left the Father of Europe a raving lunatic who has appointed Glitterhoof as his Chancellor :laffo:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Odd bug. As a nomad, I tossed a distant kinsman a Merchant Republic. My eldest son ended up inheriting the republic because I had handed out so many distant kinsman titles (I had 167 people in my court, I need to start trimming). When I died and my son inherited, it turned into an empire level republic with nomadic clan vassals. I still have the several dozen empty burned provinces, which don't count against my holding cap.

I ended up giving up on the game because I didn't want to turn into a republic yet, but it was weird what happened. I thought that when you inherited a higher level title you changed to the new government type, but maybe there is an issue with republics not converting?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Eh the Republics and Patrician code is super old and are super special in how they are handled. It was all written before we rewrote everything into proper governments so there might be something old there haunting somehow. I recommend you get the saves and put in a bug report on the official Paradox forum.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Change of plans, now I have a nice queen ruling.

So question, if I have a bunch of weak-claim bastards running around, is it actually safer to give them a barony (just won a holy war so I have a few) rather than keep them landless? I figure as barons they're no real threat, while as landless claimants they could accept an invitation to a rival's court and have their claim actually pressed.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

NihilCredo posted:

So question, if I have a bunch of weak-claim bastards running around, is it actually safer to give them a barony (just won a holy war so I have a few) rather than keep them landless? I figure as barons they're no real threat, while as landless claimants they could accept an invitation to a rival's court and have their claim actually pressed.

That's a pretty good idea, I never thought about it this way. It should work. The worst they could do would be to join plots against you, but I think they can't even do that if they are not your direct vassals. Try it out and tell us how it works out in practice.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
If you have the baronies, sure, why not? Mostly claimants aren't a huge problem if they're in your court because they aren't going to go around that much, but they do sometimes become adventurers.

My fav thing to do with unlegitimized bastards honestly is to get an alliance using them, seeing as they still count as your kids. Claims just make things interesting and it's not fair it's only you getting them right?

Weak claims aren't that dangerous anyway; especially as the AI is unlikely to marry them for it and unlikely to press the claims as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

NihilCredo posted:

You can give them bishoprics to take them out of any lines of succession at the same time.

• Locked thread