Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Loxbourne posted:

I'll bet money that the delay here has been CIG's inability to work out a way to let a player wander around another player's hangar without it being pathetically easy to cheat yourself access to the host's ships.

Any kind of ship-access hack would be utterly lethal and CIG know it.

The hangar has no access to space. As in there is literally nothing outside the door. Furthermore there is no persistence beyond weapon loadout. So accessing ships would have no impact whatsoever.

The hangar is a static level with ships inside it. It should be trivial to get people together in such a place (or at least I would hope so given the other challenges in this game), yet CIG still hasn't done so. I wonder why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sillybones posted:

Sometimes I think they should have made all the underlying systems first and then implemented all the little details of the visuals. Eh, I am sure my money is in safe hands.

If they just went and released Star Marine as a standalone then what exactly was wrong with the Illfonic version?

My understanding is that Illfonic's version is wholly incompatible with CIG's engine, and that releasing it would essentially require them to launch a completely separate game.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lube banjo posted:

wait why is derek defending star citizen?

Because he's a loving internet warlord who can troll more with his little finger and a ZX81 than any of us could with our whole bodies and a Cray supercomputer.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Anyone remembers XboxPants in the Ouya thread? MoMA reminds me of him. Man, those were the times

Saw
Aug 19, 2005

I am loosing my patience after seeing your big size boobs and having a wish to suck them for atleast one hour then t

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The hangar is a static level with ships inside it. It should be trivial to get people together in such a place (or at least I would hope so given the other challenges in this game), yet CIG still hasn't done so. I wonder why?

My money is on CIG stores hangar data on the local client so as to use their lovely net code as little as possible.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ayn Marx posted:

Anyone remembers XboxPants in the Ouya thread? MoMA reminds me of him. Man, those were the times

I think he was more like Cymelion than MOMA. MOMA is way too cynical at this point in development. Whereas Xboxpants was still excited about receiving his 'poo poo brown' coloured console, and only conceded post-release after there was nothing left to defend.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Happy 2017.

Looking forward to another year of Derek Smart being right.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

MedicineHut posted:

Really! Ok, just spotted this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0_ubZgSJq0&t=535s

Seems like for him the mere fact you have early access negates all the crapiness, the hype generation and all the potential for a cult to develop anyways.

Sad!
Eh. To me this seems more like him (somewhat ironically) simply being ill-informed about the sheer depth of the poo poo filled rabbit hole that Star Citizen is, instead taking the non-content and non-information CIG barfs up at face value. Doing that might seem utterly ridiculous from the perspective of someone who's been following CIG's embarrassing journey of staggering incompetence from early on, but I honestly can't really fault him too much for not spending any time digging into this garbage pile when he already has more mostly not-poo poo games to deal with than he can handle anyway :shrug:

Once CIG makes motions towards being more officially "done" one way or another rather than being in pre-alpha limbo I'm sure his opinion will rather drastically change, assuming they don't somehow manage to make SC an actually OK game by accident.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes, but that was just his opinion at the time.

Isnt it his job to know as their PR person?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tokamak posted:

I think he was more like Cymelion than MOMA. MOMA is way too cynical at this point in development. Whereas Xboxpants was still excited about receiving his 'poo poo brown' coloured console, and only conceded post-release after there was nothing left to defend.
It was well post release too because it took like half a year just for them to ship his limited edition kickstarter version due to being too busy making the red ones for store shelves.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Been playing a lot of PULSAR: The Lost Colony over the holidays. It's basically what Star Citizen's first iteration should have been and it's hilarious because it was made by two guys for the grand total of like $55,000.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Been playing a lot of PULSAR: The Lost Colony over the holidays. It's basically what Star Citizen's first iteration should have been and it's hilarious because it was made by two guys for the grand total of like $55,000.

*Chaos level has increased*

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
lol my probation got turned into a ban? interesting. guess you guys really do like wtfosarus.

happy 2017!

Goobs fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 1, 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Goobs posted:

lol my probation got turned into a ban? interesting. guess you guys really do like wtfosarus.

I miss your goofy looking cat.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Goobs posted:

happy 2017!

that sucks because that stuff was really funny to read through. the comments were gold

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

rip goobscat. i gotta save my guap to re-activate in case of ban, cant be throwing money all willy nilly around putting my new AV up every time. Veterans Affairs doesn't pay me enough to afford AV's.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Anyone have the list of things that were promised to be in in 2016 but aren't?

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

CubicalSucrose posted:

A game and everything that entails.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sabreseven posted:

*Chaos level has increased*

It's a great game. I mean it's terrible, but it's super fun. We keep getting owned by poo poo because the guy playing the captain chooses a research ship and then picks fights with everything. They managed to make multicrew actually interesting though which is cool and surprising.

Goobs posted:

happy 2017!

Sorry commando. Happy new year!

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

It's a great game. I mean it's terrible, but it's super fun. We keep getting owned by poo poo because the guy playing the captain chooses a research ship and then picks fights with everything. They managed to make multicrew actually interesting though which is cool and surprising.

Sorry commando. Happy new year!

its ok, i still love u.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Sillybones posted:

I can't seem to make it clear to a cultist that CIG do not have an actual partnership with Amazon. It is kind of driving me crazy. That's all. Thanks.

Maybe Amazon are the ones to ask. It would be funny if they released a statement disavowing claims of a working partnership with CIG.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The hangar has no access to space. As in there is literally nothing outside the door. Furthermore there is no persistence beyond weapon loadout. So accessing ships would have no impact whatsoever.

Wasn't there a problem where the hangar was lagging because even though you were indoors, it was modeling the entire universe outside? Or am I mistaken?

CubicalSucrose posted:

That list now says Things for 2014 2015 2016 2017 so technically they aren't late :spergin:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Goobs posted:

Lol i am dead.

REDACTED

E: also

REDACTED

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

That's normal.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Goobs posted:

happy 2017!

Thanks for taking one for the team. Doxxing is not allowed, even for pieces of poo poo such as WTFOsaurus.

Can someone rich please buy goob back his avatar?

e: Yay! :)

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 1, 2017

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
To be completely honest before seeing that stuff I thought he was gay

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

The stuff he is and did however, very wrong, totally against that. gently caress him.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

It's ok, he wasn't actually Alpharius.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CubicalSucrose posted:

Star Citizen 2.7 (July), 2.8 (August), 2.9 (September), 2.10 (October), 2.11 (November), 2.12 (December
Star Citizen 3.0.
Squadron 42.

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Wasn't there a problem where the hangar was lagging because even though you were indoors, it was modeling the entire universe outside? Or am I mistaken?

I'm sure that was one of many problems.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
What I saw of the stream alternated from being funny to disturbing.

I want to be the guy who drinks the Blanton's before they fill it up with antifreeze.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Star Citizen 2.7 (July), 2.8 (August), 2.9 (September), 2.10 (October), 2.11 (November), 2.12 (December
Star Citizen 3.0.
Squadron 42.
Add to that list "visit other star systems":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Jmywv3QjQ&t=720s

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

cool new Polack jokes posted:

What I saw of the stream alternated from being funny to disturbing.

I want to be the guy who drinks the Blanton's before they fill it up with antifreeze.

He totally can't handle his alcohol. If you can handle alcohol, you either drink a lot and keep it together while knowing when to stop, or you drink less and know when to stop before losing the ability to keep it together. He was such a mess he was pulling the set apart and arguing with people in the background audio.

I noticed in that streamer's after photo WTF wasn't in it. He was disastrously drunk 4 hours before midnight. There's no way he made it to midnight. His eyes weren't even pointing in the same direction. His twitter was tweeting poo poo throughout the night about stuff like 4k screenshots. There's no way a guy as drunk as him was making posts about the resolution of screenshots. He has someone helping him out with the management of his tweets.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

People on the frontier forums thread are relentlessly misinterpreting what was explained about the SC network difficulties, that the size of the problem is O(n2), which isn't the bandwidth, but the time needed for the algorithm to keep the clients updated in real time. regardless of their network location and roundtrip time. The bigger the serialized packet, the longer it takes for each client to process within enough time to make what they see as intelligible. The mechanics of achieving this are very arcane and tricky. Even the best MMO's have to rely on networks of servers to reduce the processing as well as forcing clients to accept their updates, etc etc etc. There are good articles out there about how EVE and Blizzard do it. I really doubt SC even have a whisper of a chance of reaching that level.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

ewe2 posted:

I really doubt SC even have a whisper of a chance of reaching that level.

But cloud and the power in the machines.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Exinos posted:

But cloud and the power in the machines.

Even Reddit knows it's hard

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
well you see, chris learned to code back in the day when programmers needed to get down and dirty with the actual physical hardware that ran the program, making use of hacks built in by the manufacturer. in fact, being out of the industry for 20 years is good for star citizen because he hasn't been distracted by all the overhead and bloat that has grown up in that time between the bare metal and the actual application

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

having fun on new year's i see, literally posting over a thousand times about the game you all loving loathe all the way up till 12 o clock.
That's insanely loving obsessive but at least you guys haven't done anything sublimely loving stupid and criminal like doxxi

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ArfJason posted:

having fun on new year's i see, literally posting over a thousand times about the game you all loving loathe all the way up till 12 o clock.
That's insanely loving obsessive but at least you guys haven't done anything sublimely loving stupid and criminal like doxxi

It's really nice that you bookmarked this thread and checked in on New Years Day :)

XK
Jul 9, 2001

ArfJason posted:

Tell me how much you love expensive PUA boot camps.

Happy New Year, ArfJason. Why don't you have your avatar back yet?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

peter gabriel posted:

It's really nice that you bookmarked this thread and checked in on New Years Day :)

salr auto bookmarks threads you post in, and i didnt make over a thousand posts on new year's, nor did i doxx anyone.

so yeah... :D

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kosumo posted:

I like the "undetectable by the game client" claim.

This game client struggles to detect the hit detection that it is programmed to do. Won't have a poo poo show at detecting any 3rd party stuff.

Also, if these hack maker companies wanted to make so real money out of this, they should have study there askance abit more and sold this in jpeg form with lti for a ridiculous price.

Anyone want to start "Ryan Archer's Star Hacks" with me? You must know how to both copy and paste.

To apply just forward the best CV you can copy to scamsbykosumo@dodgescamrus.co.nk

I can't wait until there's a money hack, but I doubt that will get advertised on Youtube.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Why did you bookmark this thread? Do you love the game, or do you love the thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remember this shill video lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtX8OXPnAu8