Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sex Tragedy posted:

Anyone else think BOTW is a retelling of Zelda 1?

I thought it might be at first but I'm p sure that's been (vaguely) denied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

a.lo posted:

who knows what timeline it lands on

Phimosissy posted:

I thought it might be at first but I'm p sure that's been (vaguely) denied.

I really think the way you are given a wooden sword by a man in a cave in both games is a dead giveaway.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It tries to create a massive world by doing the RPG overworld thing but it ends up being as boring and empty as said RPG overworlds with nothing to do until you find yourself in an instanced battle/town/cave/temple: the overworld is just plan boring to navigate and the battles become incredibly annoying after a while when you're just trying to get poo poo done. The upgrade system is absolutely terrible. It also looks like poo poo with bad sprite work. Combat is pretty bad and it makes the already hard game frustrating.

Decent soundtrack though.

Zelda II is ambitious and tries a bunch of new things but doesn't do any of them well.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sex Tragedy posted:

I really think the way you are given a wooden sword by a man in a cave in both games is a dead giveaway.

That's more an homage just by itself. Without further evidence of sameness. There are an awful lot of things that happen in many zelda games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BotW is clearly trying to evoke Zelda 1 but I doubt it's going to be a straight repeat, not in the least because Zelda 1 does have an existing backstory that doesn't match up with what we know of BotW.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

Decent soundtrack though.

Zelda II is ambitious and tries a bunch of new things but doesn't do any of them well.

Good songs. Also it did a lot of things pretty well, and adding magic was among them. Being able to have fairy set to cast with a button press if you fell in a pit was pretty great, for example.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

Phimosissy posted:

That's more an homage just by itself. Without further evidence of sameness. There are an awful lot of things that happen in many zelda games.

My theory is that there'll be some bard who uses the digital technology we see in BOTW to chronicle Link's journey, and that's what we know of as the LOZ cart. Like I fully expect someone to show you the old 8-bit sprite and be like "This is how the world will remember you."

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Twilight Princess already did that, once the new shine wore off it was pretty poorly regarded until Skyward Sword came out and people couldn't deal with the controls and decided they liked TP after all.

I still haven't revisited TP to see if it's improved with age.

It took awhile for that shine to wear off though. People were thrilled with the game, going so far as to say it was the game to unseat a then decade old OoT as The Best Zelda™. It's impossible to pinpoint when fan opinion absorbed the narrative that Twilight Princess is bad (anecdotally, my first encounter with anything decrying TP was in 2013), but there was a long honeymoon period for it.

Skyward Sword, on the other hand, was divisive out the gate. If people didn't hate the motion controls, they hated Fi, or the small areas being retread constantly, or the glitches, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think either game is bad (despite TP being my favorite, I do think SS is the better game and has more fixable flaws), but until 2014 we were sitting in a situation where the last two major Zelda titles were viewed as lacking by many fans. In the months leading up to E3, I was pondering whether or not TLoZ was still a top tier franchise in the era of Dark Souls, Witcher, and Skyrim. Breath of the Wild absolutely reversed that for me.

a.lo posted:

who knows what timeline it lands on

It's a convergence of the three timelines.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
also the old man in BOTW doesn't give you a sword, and isn't in a cave. his deisgn is just a reference. i would say all of the allusions are more to evoke the feeling of the original, and how unique it was at the time.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

youcallthatatwist posted:

also the old man in BOTW doesn't give you a sword, and isn't in a cave. his deisgn is just a reference. i would say all of the allusions are more to evoke the feeling of the original, and how unique it was at the time.

If you watch gameplay from the opening there's a stick placed directly in Link's path by the old man, and he's in a very small cave.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think it's a stealth-remake or anything, but since the first teaser they've been very open about translating Z1's openness to 3D being their major aim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vga0QYSOuIc

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 1, 2017

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The combat in Zelda 2 is great. The controls are responsive and increasing your skill level is rewarding.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

greatn posted:

The combat in Zelda 2 is great. The controls are responsive and increasing your skill level is rewarding.

i think my main problem with zelda 2, then, was that my skill level never increased

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Sex Tragedy posted:

If you watch gameplay from the opening there's a stick placed directly in Link's path by the old man, and he's in a very small cave.

in that same video they discussed that the intro is supposed to be a reversal of zelda 1's. Link starts in a cave and emerges into a clearing instead of starting in a clearing and descending into a cave. there's no old man in link's cave.
i guess this is a dumb thing to argue about, but my point is the references are meant to communicate "we're trying to reinvent zelda" more than "this is a literal remake of zelda 1"

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

greatn posted:

Zelda 2 is a solid all around game. It's straightforward, has enough hints to tell you where to go, but is difficult. The only real problem with it is the massive difficulty curve upwards once you get the flute.

On Skyward Sword I think it's localization also kinda sucked. I wonder if other countries had a better time with it because some mechanics in the game were explained either poorly or flat out wrong.

Agreed, I think Zelda 2 deserves a bit more credit for being the stepping stone that it is between Legend of Zelda and Link to the Past. It had pretty solid hint-giving for the exploration stuff (though the later dungeons are pretty nuts and time consuming), and the resource spending decisions you had to make on a per-screen basis is something I enjoyed which kinda faded away as the series went on (LttP has hints of it but the combat being easier lets you avoid decisions like that most of the time).

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 1, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

greatn posted:

It reminds me of if a certain other game was a 2D side scroller.:darksouls:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Phimosissy posted:

Zelda II holds up pretty well compared to most NES games. It certainly has flaws, but there's a lot of good there too. Way above dumpster fire level.

"Compared to most NES games." NES games are pretty trash. There's only a few good ones and even with those you'll just end up wishing you were playing it's equivalent on SNES or later.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

SeANMcBAY posted:

It reminds me of if a certain other game was a 2D side scroller.:darksouls:

It's no La-Mulana, though

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Zelda 2 is hard. Easily the hardest Zelda and it's not even close.

Well, except the end boss. There is is the easiest.

You also get to kiss Zelda when you win.

Zelda 2 is top tier.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It's weird how in Zelda 2 you're the same Link from Zelda 1 but it's a different Zelda between the two games.

Zelda connectivity was confusing from the beginning.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Link was a player back then.

The player is link.

Dizzam!

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's weird how in Zelda 2 you're the same Link from Zelda 1 but it's a different Zelda between the two games.

Zelda connectivity was confusing from the beginning.

Not only that, but this Zelda is apparently the origin of the name Zelda, supposedly, since her brother, the most likely ancestor of the Zelda 1 Zelda decreed all daughters of the royal family be named after his sister, just because Nintendo was stuck having to name someone Zelda and attach a legend to her. I hope Breath of the Wild is the Zelda 2 prequel we all deserve.

I wonder how big the time difference was between Zelda 1 and 2, and what the heck happened to the other Zelda. Presumably she's having a hard time reviving her dead kingdom considering its lack of inhabitants and villages.

Zelda games are weird.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

andipossess posted:

Not only that, but this Zelda is apparently the origin of the name Zelda, supposedly, since her brother, the most likely ancestor of the Zelda 1 Zelda decreed all daughters of the royal family be named after his sister, just because Nintendo was stuck having to name someone Zelda and attach a legend to her. I hope Breath of the Wild is the Zelda 2 prequel we all deserve.

I wonder how big the time difference was between Zelda 1 and 2, and what the heck happened to the other Zelda. Presumably she's having a hard time reviving her dead kingdom considering its lack of inhabitants and villages.

Zelda games are weird.

Going from zero villages to like seven in a generation is pretty decent.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

greatn posted:

Going from zero villages to like seven in a generation is pretty decent.

Actually, it's generally implied that the overworld from Zelda 1 is part of the world depicted in Adventure of Link; the part of the overworld just south of Death Mountain, specifically. It's got the same geography, just immensely downsized.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 1, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The combat in Zelda 2 just feels good. There's just something about a nice timed jump/slash on an Iron Knuckle that works.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Zelda 2 doesn't get good until you get the downstab.

Then that poo poo is majestic.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There are no bad mainline Zeldas.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

MokBa posted:

Zelda 2 doesn't get good until you get the downstab.

Then that poo poo is majestic.

I hear a lot about the down stab and it certainly helped me kill Pos, but I ended up using the jump slash instead to kill most enemies until the end of the game. Maybe I wasn't doing it right?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The jump slash is certainly more useful. But the downstab is goddamn satisfying.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The boss of the third palace w/ the down stab is a top 5 Zelda boss fight IMO.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Downthrust

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Upthrust is also fun.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Waltzing Along posted:

No voices? Seriously? Wow.

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took a repetitive voice line in the knee.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TFRazorsaw posted:

There are no bad mainline Zeldas.

Even the spinoffs are good. Crossbow Training is underrated.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

greatn posted:

Upthrust is also fun.

Yeah, I hear your mom's a big fan of it too.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Cleretic posted:

Actually, it's generally implied that the overworld from Zelda 1 is part of the world depicted in Adventure of Link; the part of the overworld just south of Death Mountain, specifically. It's got the same geography, just immensely downsized.

Blew my mind when I first realized that.

EDIT -

Found this while looking for that pic. Interesting idea, but they're probably reading way too much into that map.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 2, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is interesting in that the Zelda 1 being downsized Zelda 2 is totally confirmed, I didn't even think there was a Zelda 2 overworld but I don't think I ever had the manual to look at it. Also, it's also interesting that Zelda basically just takes place in a large inhospitable area where only hermits and poo poo live while all of the rest of civilization said "gently caress that place."

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sam Faust posted:

Yeah, I hear your mom's a big fan of it too.

i finally understand your avatar and i approve. going through it with my little bro and a friend, fun fun!!!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Is this art from Nintendo Power? Those buildings really remind me of the Castlevania 2 map I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Perry Normal posted:

Blew my mind when I first realized that.