Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Matinee posted:

I thought Probable Goon Charlie Brooker's 2016 Wipe was good. It was funnier than its felt in recent years (probably in the face of the subject matter) although the Brexit sequence soundtracked by that synth tune from A Clockwork Orange gave me a flutter of genuine anxiety.

He's always used the Funeral For Queen Anne in the 'things are a bit poo poo' bits since Screenwipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I've always loved his music choices (not least his use of Grandaddy) but his shows haven't half ruined Beethoven's 7th for me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Matinee posted:

I've always loved his music choices (not least his use of Grandaddy) but his shows haven't half ruined Beethoven's 7th for me.

:agreed:

He personally curates a playlist of the music he's used, which is nice: https://play.spotify.com/user/charliebrooker/playlist/1cbjbEfXuZesvIYHnN9ilP

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

repiv posted:

:agreed:

He personally curates a playlist of the music he's used, which is nice: https://play.spotify.com/user/charliebrooker/playlist/1cbjbEfXuZesvIYHnN9ilP

I was going to ask exactly for this so thank you!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Matinee posted:

I liked the use of the Emmerdale theme for Eastenders.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Matinee posted:

It just means that the Ludovico technique works.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

SeanBeansShako posted:

He's always used the Funeral For Queen Anne in the 'things are a bit poo poo' bits since Screenwipe.

That piece was written for her sister, Mary's funeral.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Padje posted:

the mechanical engineer's robot was the worst I've ever seen. The flipper was the wrong way round. You'd need to have an entire robot on top of you before you could even attempt to flip it.

I don't get what was going on with that robot at all, why the gently caress make it like that?

The second episode was a bit better but there were still too many robots with exposed tires that got exploded right at the start, too many short short fights.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
A bad episode of Robot Bores? What a surprise.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Man, I wish INSIDE NO. 9 caught on more than it did. With a format like that it can never be all hits. But when it works it really works.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I honestly can't remember a bad episode of Inside No. 9.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

There's a couple of mediocre ones, but it's forgivable given that the episodes are short and given that you expect an anthology show to be hit and miss.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Paladinus posted:

I don't think there's any bad ones. There's just good and less good.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Paladinus posted:

There was that bullshit witch trial one, but there are a few perfect episodes so I forgive them the poo poo.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BSam posted:

There was that bullshit witch trial one, but there are a few perfect episodes so I forgive them the poo poo.

The only thing I remember about it is that I thought how much better the witch-hunt episode of Dr. Terrible's House of Horrible was. Maybe I've even commented about this in this very thread.

So now I remember there was at least one forgettable episode.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Kin posted:

From the odd times i've seen bits of an episode, it's just felt like a show that's crass for the sake of being crass. Typical BBC3 type garbage really.

Maybe watching more of it puts it in context, but it just seems odd that reviewers are going nuts for it.

I just finished watching the first series, there's certainly a lot of crass stuff, but it's actually really well written and has some brilliant performances. Olivia Coleman's stepmother is really outstanding, and it has some unexpected emotional depth.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Watched INSIDE NO 9 again with my friend. There's a few lines in there that are chilling in hindsight. Great stuff, BBC should just let Shearsmith and Pemberton do whatever they want.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Did anyone watch that Bob Monkhouse thing on BBC4? I'd hesitate to say his standup was great, but the show as a whole was interesting. It did suffer slightly from having too many talking heads telling us how great the set was rather than just showing it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Him just talking about other comedians on the circuit was cool.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Was I the only one who saw Peter Pan Goes Wrong? Because that poo poo was actually hilarious.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Lemon posted:

Did anyone watch that Bob Monkhouse thing on BBC4? I'd hesitate to say his standup was great, but the show as a whole was interesting. It did suffer slightly from having too many talking heads telling us how great the set was rather than just showing it.

They should really just have the whole special up on its own. But it was a fascinating show. Monkhouse not only wanted to get a room together of people he genuinely liked and to perform to them, but he also clearly wanted to share this history with them, as though he thought they were the only people who would appreciate it.

It was very much the action of a man at the end of his life. And there's something very touching about that.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Peter Pan Goes Wrong is perfect woozy new years viewing. Silliness personified.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

DrVenkman posted:

Watched INSIDE NO 9 again with my friend. There's a few lines in there that are chilling in hindsight. Great stuff, BBC should just let Shearsmith and Pemberton do whatever they want.

Which lines in particular? Just watched it through for the first time, great stuff.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Peter Pan Goes Wrong is perfect woozy new years viewing. Silliness personified.

Watched it on recommendation of this thread, and it's great fun :)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh a wedding goes wrong in watford? Next you'll be telling me Ash will lose a Pokemon Leauge Confrence! Jesus Christ, BBC, play a bit of mixup your missery play is bullshit and boring.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh a wedding goes wrong in watford? Next you'll be telling me Ash will lose a Pokemon Leauge Confrence! Jesus Christ, BBC, play a bit of mixup your missery play is bullshit and boring.

Two women are dead show some loving respect.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That IS my respect.

If you couldn't see this comin' a mile off then you're legally blind.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Red Oktober posted:

Which lines in particular? Just watched it through for the first time, great stuff.

Thinking about this, the line about difficulties in getting child actors for that sort of production is a lot creepier.

... I can imagine the discussions about 70s beeb that sparked this episode ...'if that then probably this as well'

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 1, 2017

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I kind of wished they did more with the concept, went full Beberian Sound Studio. But it just seemed like they mostly wanted to do a loving pastiche of those old Beeb horrors, which is fine, and they did it well, but tacked on the director thing and didn't develop it enough. But I've not rewatched it to spot any intricacies, and totally didn't think of the Savile thing.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Watched Sherlock, and I'm sorry but there is no house in RG1 like that guy's house, totally ruined my enjoyment of the episode

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Reminded of that house from that silent episode of number 9.

Also this Sherlock is p boring.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like that Sherlock solved the mystery by deciding who the culprit was based on

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm glad that Watson's boring wife is dead now maybe they can actually solve some crimes in a Sherlock Holmes story instead of this boring spy/mercenary poo poo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pissflaps posted:

I'm glad that Watson's boring wife is dead now maybe they can actually solve some crimes in a Sherlock Holmes story instead of this boring spy/mercenary poo poo.

I wouldn't mind all that shite (though I agree it's pretty dull and not what I watch this show for) if there was an actual interesting conspiracy with some depth to enjoy. It's all just so paper thin. Yeah it was more about the character development, but everything interesting that happened between Sherlock, Watson and Mary (as characters) could've easily happened as part of the backdrop to a more interesting narrative, without any of the spy poo poo being involved.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

That IS my respect.

If you couldn't see this comin' a mile off then you're legally blind.

Most people with working eyes see it on their TV boxes and instead don't view it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Wow, that Sherlock was straight up terrible.

So was it just a complete coincidence that the first bust of Thatcher happened to be smashed in the house of a guy whose son died in extremely bizarre circumstances?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Who's the baddie in the rest of the series? Is he from the books?

Bring back my boy Jim moriarty!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Sherlock was always a series of meaningless coincidences.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
That episode was all over the place. Some good comedy at places, and I was reminded of my visit to Marrakech some years ago. But overall, I'm quite underwhelmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

BigglesSWE posted:

That episode was all over the place. Some good comedy at places, and I was reminded of my visit to Marrakech some years ago. But overall, I'm quite underwhelmed.

Were you violently assaulted in Marrakech?