Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

There's a TV app on iphone as well now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

maduin posted:

Safari is the only iOS web browser that supports content blockers, so it's the best for that reason alone

It is, but Chrome is great at blocking bad content, faster for browsing, and it syncs up with all my bookmarks/searches from Chrome on my PC which makes it an ideal, seamless browsing experience for me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm not sure how Chrome on iOS can be faster for browsing seeing as how it's a skinned Safari.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm not sure how Chrome on iOS can be faster for browsing seeing as how it's a skinned Safari.

iirc it has its own network stack which could easily lead to a perceptible difference.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

Didn't know that, thanks.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wasn't there a Firefox thing that did all its rendering externally? It was so bad.

I thought that was Opera. Firefox did the same thing?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's the one! I forgot Opera even existed and thought it must've been FF.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Grassy Knowles posted:

Only in the US.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Just setting my dad up with a smartphone (iPhone 6) for the first time. I think there was a little tutorial app notification that came up but we had to restart the phone to deal with annoying verification issues. Anyone know if there's a way to get back to that tutorial app - or if there is any kind of thing like this he can go to, to introduce him to basic phone functions?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

El Grillo posted:

Just setting my dad up with a smartphone (iPhone 6) for the first time. I think there was a little tutorial app notification that came up but we had to restart the phone to deal with annoying verification issues. Anyone know if there's a way to get back to that tutorial app - or if there is any kind of thing like this he can go to, to introduce him to basic phone functions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSgOm6hW2Zw

About 70 mins on the iPhone 6

Expand the description and it has book marks with times you can click to have the video jump to that subject. Makes it easy to pick up where you left off if you want to bookmark it and do it in chunks.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

maduin posted:

Safari is the only iOS web browser that supports content blockers, so it's the best for that reason alone

This. Also in the latest Gmail version you can specify which browser should be opened when opening links in mails.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

El Grillo posted:

That notification was probably from the Tips app.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

cbirdsong posted:

That notification was probably from the Tips app.
Thanks!
I'm kind of amazed there isn't a proper intro thing when you first load up the phone that shows you how to use the phone. Or maybe there is but not on this because it's refurbished?
My dad's prefecture computer-literate but he's 78 and never used a smartphone before.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
If he lives near an Apple Store, he can attend the free workshops they hold. They do an iPhone Basics course regularly.

http://www.apple.com/retail/learn/

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So I know launcher but it looks like a ton of other similar apps have been made too now. Which do you guys recommend? God drat there's a lot

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

So I know launcher but it looks like a ton of other similar apps have been made too now. Which do you guys recommend? God drat there's a lot

I'd still go with launcher since they you can set different widgets to show up in specific locations. I have one set up to show up at work with the apps I use most there and one each for home and the gym

nikki ashton
Jun 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm coming from an android phone where lastpass worked great auto filling and authenticating my apps. Unfortunately there iOS version doesn't seem to do this. Is there a password manager for iOS which works just like lastpass in android?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

nikki ashton posted:

I'm coming from an android phone where lastpass worked great auto filling and authenticating my apps. Unfortunately there iOS version doesn't seem to do this. Is there a password manager for iOS which works just like lastpass in android?

Apps need to support the password app. I know 1password works on a few apps and has the shortcut on safari.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

nikki ashton posted:

You will have to get used to double clicking home and copy/pasting. Some apps have a little "lock" icon, which is 1password's I believe that will prompt an auto-fill. Also, you can set LastPass in the share menu for Safari to auto-fill websites.

Outside of that, iOS will never allow the same level of auto-filling that Android does. It's really not that inconvenient to get used to on iOS.

nikki ashton
Jun 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
cool thanks

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Apps can actually support asking for iCloud keychain items, but almost no apps do.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

hotsauce posted:

Outside of that, iOS will never allow the same level of auto-filling that Android does. It's really not that inconvenient to get used to on iOS.

Lol

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

cbirdsong posted:

Apps can actually support asking for iCloud keychain items, but almost no apps do.

The dominos app did this to me and I was pretty surprised. I wish more apps did.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Breaking News app and website are shutting down tonight and I'm looking for a replacement. I don't want a "customize your news" type app, I just want something that highlights important news stories going on in the world and more importantly will prompt me with a notification of something important has happened (they pinged me about Carrie Fishers death about 20 minutes before NBC/CNN).

Any recommendations?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

...News.ipa?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah, I use Apple News for the "customized for you" poo poo already. I read my mix of international news, politics, tech, entertainment, that stuff through Apple News. The Breaking News app was just a coldly compiled, curated list of important poo poo happening right now that will probably be on the nightly news programs tonight and sends me an alert about it.

No full screen images, no swipe gestures, no opinion pieces, just a list of important poo poo going on right now.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 1, 2017

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, I use Apple News for the "customized for you" poo poo already. I read my mix of international news, politics, tech, entertainment, that stuff through Apple News. The Breaking News app was just a coldly compiled, curated list of important poo poo happening right now that will probably be on the nightly news programs tonight and sends me an alert about it.

No full screen images, no swipe gestures, no opinion pieces, just a list of important poo poo going on right now.

People dying everywhere and... it's a new year in England (along with everywhere else)!

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Is the speed that important?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Knowing if major members of Star Wars' cast have died, and knowing first, is important, damnit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best I know of is a bookmark for news.google.com and let the hive mind feed you.

At least the custom categories they let you set up work well.

Don't try to RSS it though, it's not smart enough to not feed you stories you already saw.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

FCKGW posted:

The Breaking News app and website are shutting down tonight and I'm looking for a replacement. I don't want a "customize your news" type app, I just want something that highlights important news stories going on in the world and more importantly will prompt me with a notification of something important has happened (they pinged me about Carrie Fishers death about 20 minutes before NBC/CNN).

Any recommendations?

Curious how knowing she died 20 minutes before reported by NBC/CNN had any real impact for you. Not saying it didn't - I really want to know what it is you do that is requiring your news speed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Having breaking news on my phone is pretty useful. "So and so has died? That is sad, and also I should avoid Facebook for the next few hours to avoid the outpouring of grieving from people who bought a Greatest Hits album 6 years ago.''

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

cbirdsong posted:

I was trying to login to Discord and had to alt-tab into Settings -> Safari -> Passwords just to autofill my iCloud Keychain password into what is almost definitely a webform. :psyduck: :negative:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

xzzy posted:

Best I know of is a bookmark for news.google.com and let the hive mind feed you.

At least the custom categories they let you set up work well.

Don't try to RSS it though, it's not smart enough to not feed you stories you already saw.

I used news.google, but it has an awful lot of poo poo on it. Are you Interested In X? Are you Interested in Y? Here's some recommendations inspired by your YouTube habits. (Hope you don't have kids.) Here's 100000 "articles" from one-man blogs. Here's some stuff behind paywalls.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can configure google news to stop suggesting links to sites you don't want to hear from.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If I said "the shooting in Istanbul" instead of Carrie Fisher would you all stop jacking off about Star Wars? It was just an example of a recent Breaking News story. And yes, the speed of the Breaking Mews app is what I liked about it.

I'm just looking for a recommendation for an app that will alert me to Breaking News stories and isn't another Flipboard clone. If apple of google news are the only replacements then l use those I guess.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You could try just the AP News app.

In the 2010-2013 era, it seemed like about 90% of all news stories (in the US) were covered by just a combo of AP + Reuters, and everyone else just quoted them or their sources. Don't know what f that's still the case.

I miss the Pulse news app. It Suited My Needs almost perfectly before LinkedIn bought and killed it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You could try just the AP News app.

In the 2010-2013 era, it seemed like about 90% of all news stories (in the US) were covered by just a combo of AP + Reuters, and everyone else just quoted them or their sources. Don't know what f that's still the case.

Probably, since that's the point of the AP and Reuters

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well it certainly used to be, but it seems like they include more speculation and opinion pieces than they used to, as opposed to "stuff that happened". I may have rose-colored glasses on, though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

FCKGW posted:

If I said "the shooting in Istanbul" instead of Carrie Fisher would you all stop jacking off about Star Wars? It was just an example of a recent Breaking News story. And yes, the speed of the Breaking Mews app is what I liked about it.

I'm just looking for a recommendation for an app that will alert me to Breaking News stories and isn't another Flipboard clone. If apple of google news are the only replacements then l use those I guess.

Not a single person mentioned anything to do with Star Wars lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I'm so bummed the Breaking News app is done. It was the best news app on iOS. I'm trying the NY Times app but they've sent me a clickbait news alert about Trump and I hate that poo poo.