Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Uh, why, do you guys have a feud going on or something? :ohdear:

I wish you a happy and blessed new year, everybody! I just got the news on my phone that 2017 starts right off the bat with a bad terror attack in Istanbul, let's hope this year brings at least a bit more peace into a world that bitterly need it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I went to an Episcopal service this evening with my brother and his family. They're Haitian (his biological father is Taiwanese) and it was a special celebration marking Haiti's independence. I got to eat traditional Independence Day soup! Really nice folks.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Cythereal posted:

*strips out all the liturgy and tradition*

Oh wait I'm a Baptist. That's the thing about how comparatively bare-bones the codified theology is of such Protestant movements, for good or ill there's a lot of room for interpretation and there's nothing intrinsically anti-intellectual in the SBC's statement of beliefs.

One of many reasons I hate how entangled the SBC has become in right-wing American politics.

http://www.sbc.net/aboutus/basicbeliefs.asp

uhhhhhhhhhh

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 1, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I've never actually looked at that. :v:

I'm either a bad Baptist or a very good one, and frankly I'm not sure where the difference lies.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Want to see my fursona?

I am not kidding that is my fursona, Christianity thread.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Stop stealing the villains from my tabletop campaign for your perverted fantasies.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Stop stealing the villains from my tabletop campaign perverted fantasies for your perverted fantasies.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
this current line of conversation is wonderful and i love you all, happy secular new year. this thread has been a really important place for me these past couple of years and i'm really grateful to have it and all of you in my life. God grant you all many blessings this year, and since it's still christmastide, may the mystery of the Incarnation bring all of us the redemption we need

note: this post may or may not have been brought to you by generous servings of excellent south african wine

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Bel_Canto posted:

this current line of conversation is wonderful and i love you all, happy secular new year. this thread has been a really important place for me these past couple of years and i'm really grateful to have it and all of you in my life. God grant you all many blessings this year, and since it's still christmastide, may the mystery of the Incarnation bring all of us the redemption we need

note: this post may or may not have been brought to you by generous servings of excellent south african wine

yeah i still find myself getting grumpy about all the christmas stuff in america taking place during advent (and even before advent!!). if i had clark griswold's electricity budget i'd put up a big fuckoff display in my yard spelling out SORRY ABOUT YOUR ETHNOCENTRISM CITY LIBERALS or something equally offensive and light it up until the very moment of epiphany. why? because i'm an rear end in a top hat and a bad person, that's why

no but really, this is a good thread and probably a major source of spiritual and mental health for a lot of us. it is a tiny jewel among the sea of poo poo that is the internet and popular culture in general, and (imo) many of us here should be so very thankful for it. one of my very core beliefs is to make a joyful noise unto the Lord and if i can't count the awful shitposting of all of you as such a noise, well, i don't really know what i'm even doing anymore

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I hope that you guys are all watched and cared for in the new year.

I haven't been here long, but this is a very nice thread and I am glad that you've all been willing to answer my questions.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah i still find myself getting grumpy about all the christmas stuff in america taking place during advent (and even before advent!!). if i had clark griswold's electricity budget i'd put up a big fuckoff display in my yard spelling out SORRY ABOUT YOUR ETHNOCENTRISM CITY LIBERALS or something equally offensive and light it up until the very moment of epiphany. why? because i'm an rear end in a top hat and a bad person, that's why

no but really, this is a good thread and probably a major source of spiritual and mental health for a lot of us. it is a tiny jewel among the sea of poo poo that is the internet and popular culture in general, and (imo) many of us here should be so very thankful for it. one of my very core beliefs is to make a joyful noise unto the Lord and if i can't count the awful shitposting of all of you as such a noise, well, i don't really know what i'm even doing anymore

An argument arose among the disciples about which of them was the shittiest poster. Jesus realized the intention of their hearts and took a troll and placed it by his side and said to them, "Whoever receives this troll in my name receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me. For the one who is the least shittiest among all of you is the one who is the greatest."

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It is still Christmastime, so Merry Christmas to all, and a happy new year.

System Metternich posted:

Uh, why, do you guys have a feud going on or something? :ohdear:

I wish you a happy and blessed new year, everybody! I just got the news on my phone that 2017 starts right off the bat with a bad terror attack in Istanbul, let's hope this year brings at least a bit more peace into a world that bitterly need it :(

A horrible burst of violence that has not even ended yet. No sin is begotten in a vacuum, especially not today's troubles, not anywhere. Hearts are legitimately wounded and hardened and go forth to do more wounding, but the disciples of Jesus affirm that the flesh and all its concerns will wither until only the spirit of faith, hope and love remain.

Bel_Canto posted:

God bless you, too, Bel Canto. The church is a perfect gift of God, available to believers whenever they gather, even at the hour of their death.

Josef bugman posted:

I haven't been here long, but this is a very nice thread and I am glad that you've all been willing to answer my questions.

I hope the same for you. Thank you for your questions, and the sincerity with which you've asked them. I hope the answers you've gotten have not only given you a broader perspective of other people, but I also hope it's imparted with you the conviction of a believer for all the things you feel called to do.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

An argument arose among the disciples about which of them was the shittiest poster. Jesus realized the intention of their hearts and took a troll and placed it by his side and said to them, "Whoever receives this troll in my name receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me. For the one who is the least shittiest among all of you is the one who is the greatest."

A gospel of the Lord; praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
If that's still even what we say!

THEY CHANGED THE WORDS

Look just because it's literally twenty years since I attended Mass doesn't mean they get to change the words.

Oh and happy new year, thread :3:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Isn't that 'statement' one of the reasons Jimmy Carter left the SBC? Something about objecting to the development of a creed.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
he left over this one

but mostly he just called them a bunch of misogynists and peaced out

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

The Phlegmatist posted:

he left over this one

but mostly he just called them a bunch of misogynists and peaced out

Thank you. Also, my new favorite theological term is 'soul competency'...it would make a great title for and R and B record.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Caufman posted:

The church is a perfect gift of God, available to believers whenever they gather, even at the hour of their death.
what a beautiful thing to say. happy new year all, and happy Feast of the Circumcision to my catholic bros!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also Mary, Mother of God; at least in :911:

(If you didn't hear the first reading in Leonard Nimoy's voice you haven't played enough Civ 4)

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
every once in a while the organist plays something that sounds like it was taken from the Earthbound OST

what setting is that and how can I hear it continuously, forever

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gT_fZHnpag

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PecgRbdELAw

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

HEY GAL posted:

what a beautiful thing to say. happy new year all, and happy Feast of the Circumcision to my catholic bros!
Hey, don't forget us New Calendarist Greek-style types.

Anyway, since this is the thing we're doing today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hH_3Q87Z40

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

The Phlegmatist posted:

Want to see my fursona?

I am not kidding that is my fursona, Christianity thread.

When u hit the jager too hard

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

https://youtu.be/hLrmI5IqGyU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Josef bugman posted:

i cut into an avocado and it was perfect, no bruising or overripeness, which is like what you said

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Well I pricked my thumb and scratched my finger on a knife making dinner, so clearly there is no God or purpose to my existence or yours.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
oh look, apostasy
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/trump-r-r-reno/511820/

quote:

Interviewer: Does being a Christian affect your views on immigration? When there was a surge on the border in 2014, and particularly children fleeing violence in Central America, Christian organizations, including Catholic dioceses on the border, were often the first groups to offer them places to stay. How do you merge your viewpoints as a citizen of the United States and a Christian public thinker?

First Things editor: It’s a mistake to expect the laws of the country to reflect the imperatives of the New Testament and the Sermon on the Mount.

... I would argue that you can’t have multi-cultural democracy—there are no multi-cultural democracies.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

This will be long. Sincere thanks to anyone who reads through it, and even bigger thanks to anyone who can parse out what I'm talking about and help.

For most of my life, I've considered myself agnostic. I also prided myself on "knowing my mind", not having any secrets from myself, seeing the world for "what it is". Over the last few months, all of these beliefs have begun to crumble. The reasons are probably irrelevant, but I was startled to discover that almost everything I thought about who I was, why I thought the things I did, why I did the things I did, was wrong. It's a shock to discover how much your mind can lie to itself.

I realized I hadn't been agnostic. I was mentally an atheist, pretty sure there wasn't anything, but that the notion of nothing was too frightening and so I hedged it and decided I was agnostic. I prided myself on being "tolerant" of religious folks, though I now realize that was a mask for condescension. In a similar way, most other things I did or how I behaved was out of defensive mechanisms, mostly because of fear I guess? I'm still not entirely certain. Need more time to think about it.

I may be getting a bit off track here. In any event, as I became more open to who I really was and trying to find myself, I noticed a calling. It's very difficult to describe, but I hope some of you know the feeling I'm talking about. The feel of a summons for my spirit to return home. Before, I would have prefaced that with "This will sound lame, but" ... but I'm trying not to apologize for my thoughts. I think that you will either know what I'm talking about, or it will be impossible to describe. And also coincidences? Signs? Things that seemed to be saying, you're on the right track. The woman I've been casually dating, we had an intense talk and she said she was feeling these things too! That's just one of the signs, there have been so many. And to my agnostic self, that would have sounded like such bullshit. But ... I don't know, I don't have the right words. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about :)

I guess ... I'm wondering where to go from here. I don't think I'm looking for answers. I just don't even know the questions yet.

Thank you for reading this.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

This will be long. Sincere thanks to anyone who reads through it, and even bigger thanks to anyone who can parse out what I'm talking about and help.

For most of my life, I've considered myself agnostic. I also prided myself on "knowing my mind", not having any secrets from myself, seeing the world for "what it is". Over the last few months, all of these beliefs have begun to crumble. The reasons are probably irrelevant, but I was startled to discover that almost everything I thought about who I was, why I thought the things I did, why I did the things I did, was wrong. It's a shock to discover how much your mind can lie to itself.

I realized I hadn't been agnostic. I was mentally an atheist, pretty sure there wasn't anything, but that the notion of nothing was too frightening and so I hedged it and decided I was agnostic. I prided myself on being "tolerant" of religious folks, though I now realize that was a mask for condescension. In a similar way, most other things I did or how I behaved was out of defensive mechanisms, mostly because of fear I guess? I'm still not entirely certain. Need more time to think about it.

I may be getting a bit off track here. In any event, as I became more open to who I really was and trying to find myself, I noticed a calling. It's very difficult to describe, but I hope some of you know the feeling I'm talking about. The feel of a summons for my spirit to return home. Before, I would have prefaced that with "This will sound lame, but" ... but I'm trying not to apologize for my thoughts. I think that you will either know what I'm talking about, or it will be impossible to describe. And also coincidences? Signs? Things that seemed to be saying, you're on the right track. The woman I've been casually dating, we had an intense talk and she said she was feeling these things too! That's just one of the signs, there have been so many. And to my agnostic self, that would have sounded like such bullshit. But ... I don't know, I don't have the right words. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about :)

I guess ... I'm wondering where to go from here. I don't think I'm looking for answers. I just don't even know the questions yet.

If you're not for real having a mental health crisis you can see little things sometimes that can reinforce your spirituality.

They're usually impossible to explain to another person and can be explained away by a brain scan that shows exactly which part of the fatty lump between our ears is activated by religion and spirituality.

Which then gives an opening to people who believe "whatever you call it" is aliens or something. Re-up your meds if you get to that point.

But that little bit of divinity I think we all experience when things are just odd is a blessing. Often it's not ominous, just a little ridonkulous. Like that plastic bag scene in American Beauty. It's pure schlock but it's also really enjoyable (but hard to share)

Also I don't think it's a thing you can pursue, it'll just come to you.

welp that's my weird thought

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Bone chilling. I don't know Reno or his work, but why is a religious conservative ever prepared to drop the teachings of Jesus?

regulargonzalez posted:

Welcome, regulargonzalez! What you have written makes sense to me, and thank you for sharing what you have genuinely realized and experienced.

A spiritual journey, Christian or otherwise, does involve an inward accounting of the assumptions we have held onto, both about ourselves and the external world. The letting go of the assumptions that no longer seem true is an important and potentially disorienting step. The recognition of a call, an undeniable and persistent will to meaning in your particular life and what you can do, is another sign you are undergoing an important spiritual change. I won't claim to have any special, prophetic, or divine ability to discern what that meaning could be in your life, but I encourage and support you to develop your understanding of that call, especially in the company of those who earn your trust at that level.

As a Christian, I especially encourage you to reflect seriously on love and how it has existed in your life and what it may be calling you to do. I also don't recommend you completely abandon what you learned or experienced as an atheist or an agnostic. Anyone who takes spirituality seriously will eventually have to confront that charlatanry is real and idolatry is real. Most gods are idols. Beyond the common pendulum of doubt, there are many, many forms of deception, both in the self and between people.

You and I, at most, can only be truthful to the experience that we have felt, to the reality that we know. It is already a big leap of faith to commit to that level of truthfulness, but it is my testimony that this commitment is the only reasonable way to live, and any other compromise will eventually lead to nothing or things worse than nothing.

Please keep in touch as you discern what is calling to you from within and what it is like. I keep all those who sincerely wonder in my prayers.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

I haven't personally had that experience, but I just spent three days with a bunch of religious sisters (think nuns), and they also talked about feeling a calling. So if you're considering looking into religion, can't hurt. Worst case scenario you'll end up being one of those smart atheists who actually know about religion.

The "my whole life was a lie" thing sounds a bit drastic, I think this position will mellow a bit in time and you'll be able to have some compassion and understanding for the old you, because you also had your reasons for what you did and thought back then.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
You didn't feel the calling because the church would let you oppress people more efficiently or rebuilt the (Eastern) Roman Empire, so that's all cool and not lame. You'll find the thread welcome and informative.

Also, hats and cats.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Cats are overrated compared to the crippling lack of pig(let)s. Why aren't there more snouts and oinks outside congregational houses? All the rural parishes, please remedy this immediately.

e: You Darklands enthusiasts: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803613

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 2, 2017

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Caufman posted:

Bone chilling. I don't know Reno or his work, but why is a religious conservative ever prepared to drop the teachings of Jesus?

Because he's a member of the "intellectual" branch of the American right who spends his time palling around with right-wing Evangelicals, and he caught the virus from them and now thinks he can reason his way out of the commands of Christ and the teaching of the Church. He's more loyal to his political allies than to the Catholic Church. Unfortunately, he's not alone: this is also true of many of our bishops, who avoid taking distinctively Catholic public positions because it would upset the Mammon-worshipping heretics with whom they forged a political alliance in the 70s.

Bel_Canto fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 2, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Bel_Canto posted:

He's more loyal to his political allies than to the Catholic Church. Unfortunately, he's not alone: this is also true of many of our all bishops, everywhere through from the Early Medieval period.

Fixed it!

I am joking, but when it comes right down to it most people are more in favour of their own self interests and that of the people they think will be better placed to increase it. The poor and needy have always been avoided by those who want to wield power.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Valiantman posted:

Cats are overrated compared to the crippling lack of pig(let)s. Why aren't there more snouts and oinks outside congregational houses? All the rural parishes, please remedy this immediately.

My family, uh, used to keep pigs as food animals. It's hard for me to look at a pig and not see something ready to be turned into sausages, ham, bacon, sarma, and kebabs. :v:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

my dad posted:

My family, uh, used to keep pigs as food animals. It's hard for me to look at a pig and not see something ready to be turned into sausages, ham, bacon, sarma, and kebabs. :v:

Mo and I's maternal grandfather raised animals. He pointed out specific animals they weren't allowed to name, because then they'd feel bad when it came time to eat them. That's Mountain-Wisdom right there.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Bel_Canto posted:

Because he's a member of the "intellectual" branch of the American right who spends his time palling around with right-wing Evangelicals, and he caught the virus from them and now thinks he can reason his way out of the commands of Christ and the teaching of the Church. He's more loyal to his political allies than to the Catholic Church. Unfortunately, he's not alone: this is also true of many of our bishops, who avoid taking distinctively Catholic public positions because it would upset the Mammon-worshipping heretics with whom they forged a political alliance in the 70s.

The conservative Catholic press has been incredibly disappointing this election- there's been a fair amount of pushback on Trump from secular establishment places like NR and it's always funny to watch some of their writers going through the 'are we the baddies' sketch over the course of the past two years, but the Catholic press has if anything doubled down on Trump.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

The conservative Catholic press has been incredibly disappointing this election- there's been a fair amount of pushback on Trump from secular establishment places like NR and it's always funny to watch some of their writers going through the 'are we the baddies' sketch over the course of the past two years, but the Catholic press has if anything doubled down on Trump.

How. The man is a walking monument of blasphemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Josef bugman posted:

How. The man is a walking monument of blasphemy.

Better than the Evangelical Protestants. :( There are plenty of liberal Evangelicals if you know where to look for them, but good loving luck seeing or hearing about them in the media.

• Locked thread