Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Taima posted:

More power to you if you prefer the 38mm, but you should think carefully if you would be better served upgrading to the 42mm. The 38mm is just SO small. It's so small, in fact, that Best Buy was fire sale-ing the poo poo out of the 38mm for pennies on the dollar and still couldn't move their units for months (for example, at one point you could get a 38mm gen 1 stainless steel with the $600 link bracelet for $199).

I've had several friends of both sexes start out with the 38, whether for financial reasons or because they assumed as a woman that the 38 was their default size. Every single one either switched to the 42mm or kept the 38 and now regret it.

Also, the Series 2 is really expensive and the main upgrades that it features are exercise related, so you should be aware that you may not need that model unless you are a swimmer or consistently run/hike/etc. such that you would want to track your progress over time.

For most people, the Series 1 will be just as good.

I considered the 42mm, but I have small wrists. One reason why I've rarely worn watches since the nicer ones tend to look too big on me. Looks just right for proportion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Cozmosis posted:

If nothing else, the battery is much better on the 42 and much easier to interact with.

Right, that was the main complaint- it's just difficult to interact with consistently for many people.

Anyways I just wanted to point out the typical pitfalls of the 38, more power to you if that's what you want.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Taima posted:

Right, that was the main complaint- it's just difficult to interact with consistently for many people.

Anyways I just wanted to point out the typical pitfalls of the 38, more power to you if that's what you want.

Supporting evidence: The 42mm watch isn't really a large watch (medium at most), practically or for modern male/female watch fashion trends purposes.
But if it floats your boat...

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

rage-saq posted:

Supporting evidence: The 42mm watch isn't really a large watch (medium at most), practically or for modern male/female watch fashion trends purposes.
But if it floats your boat...

It's actually insanely huge and unwieldy considered how far comes off the rest

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's smaller in every dimension than my SKX, which is the best watch ever made, so no real issues imo.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I'm debating between the sport and stainless steel, on a series 2. I work in healthcare, and with the type of job I have, I bang my wrists/hands into beds/wheelchairs, parallel bars, and other heavy things all the time. I currently have a 4 year old Nike GPS running watch, which has taken a beating and still keeps ticking. For those of you with more active jobs, would you feel the sport or the stainless steel would hold up better- with regards to the screen/casing? I've read this thread since the beginning, but still haven't quite made up my mind, even with interrogating others who wear one.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Anya posted:

I'm debating between the sport and stainless steel, on a series 2. I work in healthcare, and with the type of job I have, I bang my wrists/hands into beds/wheelchairs, parallel bars, and other heavy things all the time. I currently have a 4 year old Nike GPS running watch, which has taken a beating and still keeps ticking. For those of you with more active jobs, would you feel the sport or the stainless steel would hold up better- with regards to the screen/casing? I've read this thread since the beginning, but still haven't quite made up my mind, even with interrogating others who wear one.

Don't get either. Hard hits will destroy both a sport or a ss.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Good call. I probably shouldn't wear it to work.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Get the ceramic :homebrew:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nothing says damage-resistant like ceramic!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:lol: buying a Kyocera phone knife.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I certainly didn't.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It says I have a watch update but fails to verify every time.

What's going on?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anya posted:

My job is way more active and I haven't had an issue with my series 0 sport. You'll be fine.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

My job is way more active and I haven't had an issue with my series 0 sport. You'll be fine.

Cool. Yeah one of my coworkers has one, and she hasn't had a problem. But I manage to drill my hands/wrists a lot on my patients' wheelchairs and such, so I was a little concerned.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
So I got a Series 2 for Christmas. Never had a Series 1 but from 2 days of wearing it, I don't really use it much outside of looking at the time like my normal watch.

I originally asked for the series 2 so when I go run I don't have to carry my phone to record distance plus use something else to check my HR, but that is 1-2x week while rest of my workout stuff happens in the gym.

Should I return and get a Series 1?

What does everyone else mainly use your watch for? I do like it but not sure yet if I can justify the cost for either series right now?

Also how can I get my screen to light up when I get a new notification? Right now I get the tactile pulse, but still have to tap the screen to see anything.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It should turn on when you raise it to look at it. Make sure you didn't turn that off, or misconfigure what wrist/orientation you have it.

I use mine for checking weather at a glance, notifications, timers, and basic watch type stuff. I don't use any 3rd party apps to speak of (ok I use Bring about once a month)

Despite the limited uses, I find it indispensable and really miss it the rare times I forget it.

I don't see a downside t having a Series 2 over a Series 1, unless you need the cash.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anya posted:

Cool. Yeah one of my coworkers has one, and she hasn't had a problem. But I manage to drill my hands/wrists a lot on my patients' wheelchairs and such, so I was a little concerned.

Don't be. I've banged mine into all kinds of poo poo and it still looks great.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Alfalfa posted:

So I got a Series 2 for Christmas. Never had a Series 1 but from 2 days of wearing it, I don't really use it much outside of looking at the time like my normal watch.

I originally asked for the series 2 so when I go run I don't have to carry my phone to record distance plus use something else to check my HR, but that is 1-2x week while rest of my workout stuff happens in the gym.

Should I return and get a Series 1?

What does everyone else mainly use your watch for? I do like it but not sure yet if I can justify the cost for either series right now?

Also how can I get my screen to light up when I get a new notification? Right now I get the tactile pulse, but still have to tap the screen to see anything.

80% mirroring notifications from my phone or otherwise negating the need to pick up my phone, 10% GPS assist (when using turn-by-turn GPS on phone while driving,) 10% keeping me honest about not being a fat gently caress, and an honorable mention for automating the process of unlocking my MacBook. And another honorable mention for telling me the time.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I do client facing work and bought it purely to be able to glance at notifications without coming off like an rear end in a top hat checking his phone during meetings.

I don't think I'll ever feel like I need this, but I certainly don't regret purchasing it.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

The Dave posted:

I do client facing work and bought it purely to be able to glance at notifications without coming off like an rear end in a top hat checking his phone during meetings.

I don't think I'll ever feel like I need this, but I certainly don't regret purchasing it.

Some people consider checking your watch to be a bigger insult. I have to constantly explain to people that I received a notification that I am checking. Looking at your watch usually means that you are bored or checking to see how much time is left to endure in a meeting.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

The Dave posted:

Ding ding ding.

I got my husband one for Xmas and told me last night "this isn't something I would ever have bought for myself but I can't see not having it now".

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Pants Donkey posted:

It says I have a watch update but fails to verify every time.

What's going on?

3.1.1 got pulled due to a bug and won't install. If you go in to the settings in the watch app and manage storage you can get rid of the downloaded data which will get rid of the red dot on the watch app.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Crayvex posted:

Some people consider checking your watch to be a bigger insult. I have to constantly explain to people that I received a notification that I am checking. Looking at your watch usually means that you are bored or checking to see how much time is left to endure in a meeting.

Yeah you still have to do it on the sly, but it's less cumbersome.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Appreciate the replies and guess I'll keep it and give it a go.

Can anyone recommend a band/case for the Series 2 that is like the Lunatik Epik?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Don't buy a case for your smart watch :cripes:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:negative:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get that thing that makes it look like a G-Shock

e:

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 2, 2017

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

It's only for when in the gym or training with it on. Not an everyday thing by any means.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That will go so well with my top hat and goggles.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Alfalfa posted:

It's only for when in the gym or training with it on. Not an everyday thing by any means.

Don't buy a case for your smart watch

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is anyone getting "App Installation Unavailable" blah blah "unavailable because the watch's operating system is being updated" (me paraphrasing) when trying to add apps to their watch? I did have the 3.1.1 update pending but I deleted that a few days ago. Watch doesn't show any pending updates and obviously it's not actually being updated since a) I'm not updating the OS and b) I'm using it right now.

edit: Restarting my watch fixed this. I thought I'd already done that but I guess not :eng101:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 2, 2017

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Taima posted:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Taima posted:

Seriously.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Is there a way to check the charge status on a locked apple watch without having to unlock it first? I feel like I'm missing something.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

hey girl you up posted:

Is there a way to check the charge status on a locked apple watch without having to unlock it first? I feel like I'm missing something.

It's locked, you can't do anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Like.... When it's not on your wrist but also not on a charger?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Use the battery widget in iOS today.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Look in the upper right corner of nightstand mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Endless Mike posted:

Like.... When it's not on your wrist but also not on a charger?

No, while it's charging.

Look in the upper right corner of nightstand mode.

I don't use nightstand mode, and if there's another way to see the battery I'd prefer to do that first. I guess I'll do it if it's the only option and let my watch keep the ceiling updated on the time.

MrBond posted:

Use the battery widget in iOS today.

I don't always have my phone on me.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It's locked, you can't do anything.

Surely "battery percent while charging" is not privileged information. It isn't on the phone.

Tapping the green lightning bolt, swiping up or down, or hitting any of the side buttons don't help. I don't remember if I forcefully touched it or not.

• Locked thread