Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

if he's trying to show that he could quick-draw on someone already pointing a gun at him at close range then he accurately showed what would happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

My boss has had all of her things stolen multiple times from her car including ID and credit cards, then gets indignant about having to call all the CC companies when it happens. I mean I would never leave my wallet in my car to begin with, but after having her car broken into at least twice, I still hear my boss tell people "Hold on, let me get my purse out of my car."

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

BattleMaster posted:

if he's trying to show that he could quick-draw on someone already pointing a gun at him at close range then he accurately showed what would happen

There's a certain type of retention holster that puts your finger right into the trigger guard when you draw. Combine that with the modern fad of semiautomatic pistols with no external safety and you get a lot of dude trying to be high speed and shooting themselves in the leg.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pickpocketing is a thing in some places, but In normal cities we just mug people.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
While travelling you should only use your prison wallet

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

zedprime posted:

I got the feeling everybody on the fuel supply chain got monthly pee radiation tested as part of the health physics program. I thought internal dosimetry and thus pee tests would have been required across the nuclear industry for accurate exposure counts. But maybe its just a uranium worker thing if you only know its used in niches, because fuel processing involves working with pounds to tons of uranium that at any given moment is going to be dust or want to be dust.

In ops/radcon, we wore self-indicating dosimeters during radwork, and accident+regular dosimeters the rest of the time. We were only tested for internal exposure every 2 or 3 years. Our internal contamination detection was hugging a spectral analyzer.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

chitoryu12 posted:

Keep your wallet in your front pocket and buy pants with good pockets?
I do field tech stuff, which involves crawling in to tight spaces, squatting behind desks, climbing up on to cabinets, etc. I wear mostly loose-fitting Levis, none of that "skinny jean" crap, but when my knees are above my waist whatever's in the side pockets gets jammed in to my leg. Back pockets are annoying to have anything in while sitting, so as far as I see it my choices are either constantly switch what pockets things are in or just minimize what I carry in my pockets to begin with. I choose the latter.

HungryMedusa posted:

My boss has had all of her things stolen multiple times from her car including ID and credit cards, then gets indignant about having to call all the CC companies when it happens. I mean I would never leave my wallet in my car to begin with, but after having her car broken into at least twice, I still hear my boss tell people "Hold on, let me get my purse out of my car."
A valid point, but there's also a big difference between a purse that is likely not hidden and thus begs for an opportunistic thief to grab it and a wallet stashed in a location where it's not visible from outside the car or even likely to be seen when inside the car unless someone does a detailed search. I'd be surprised if my car gets broken in to and they actually searched well enough to find the wallet rather than just grabbing my radar detector, dashcam, etc. and running.

I also don't keep any cards on me other than the one that I do my day-to-day spending on, so worst case if I have to cancel that I can easily live on the card I use for bills or my bank debit card until the replacement comes in. If my car gets broken in to the glass cleanup is likely to be the biggest pain in the rear end. I had a car broken in to back in 2005 and I was still finding glass when I sold it in 2007.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Keep your wallet in your front pocket. You're gonna notice if someone sticks a hand in there.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Volcott posted:

Keep your wallet in your front pocket. You're gonna notice if someone sticks a hand in there.

Encourage it even :pervert:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

zedprime posted:

I got the feeling everybody on the fuel supply chain got monthly pee radiation tested as part of the health physics program. I thought internal dosimetry and thus pee tests would have been required across the nuclear industry for accurate exposure counts. But maybe its just a uranium worker thing if you only know its used in niches, because fuel processing involves working with pounds to tons of uranium that at any given moment is going to be dust or want to be dust.

There are three reasons to have an ID program, according to the guy that runs the ID program for the lab I work at/teaches the ID class at the local university.
1) You have to. This is basically to fulfill a legal requirement.
2) To protect worker health.
3) As a last line of defense for your rad control people. This is the most common usage.

Number three above basically means that you do the pee tests every however long, based on what nuclide you are using you can determine a time interval, so that if someone tests positive you can tell your rad control people that they hosed up. Tritium usually shows up only in people who do weapons work because it's really only used in weapons these days. Iodine will show up in medical settings where they manufacture various isotopes for medical imaging. Uranium and plutonium are rare, and a lot of the process for things like fuel fabrication and source manufacturing are done in isolated containment structures to try and avoid contaminating or exposing workers. There are also lots of alarms that they put around these places in order to sound the "oh poo poo!" if something does get loose.

In most places you just wear a TLD (thermoluminescent dosimeter) which tracks your exposure to external radiation, which is way more common. I wear a TLD when I'm working with the reactor, or just sitting in my office that is close to an experimental device, but I've never had to pee in a cup despite doing stuff like handling fuel. My dose reports every quarter are below detectable limits because we are super risk averse (except that one quarter where they set up an experiment and accidentally exposed all the dosimeters while they weren't being worn, oops!).

When I have to suit up for something major, I get a real time dosimeter in a plastic baggy that I tape to my chest, on top of my bunny suit.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 1, 2017

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What would happen to me legally if I accidentally crashed my car into a bridge late at night and caused the bridge to collapse, but no one was hurt including me? I'm guessing I would get jail time and my license permanently revoked, but would they also garnish my wages for the rest of my life to pay for the damage?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

qkkl posted:

What would happen to me legally if I accidentally crashed my car into a bridge late at night and caused the bridge to collapse, but no one was hurt including me? I'm guessing I would get jail time and my license permanently revoked, but would they also garnish my wages for the rest of my life to pay for the damage?

Check your insurance's liability coverage. It's probably a maximum of $250,000 or something that wouldn't cover ten feet of bridge.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

qkkl posted:

If a passenger vehicle impact is collapsing a bridge I'd want it to be the engineering firm's insurance paying out. But that's just me.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

qkkl posted:

I know someone who hit a telephone pole and had to pay for it, so theres that.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

shame on an IGA posted:

I can show you several in NC where it's a flat, straight, wide enough for five lanes US highway through a completely dead village where every single commercial building along the road has been boarded up since the 70s and the posted limit is 20MPH.

What up, fellow NC goon. Ever driven US1 though Kittrell? Known speed trap there.

(Also, every time I see your username I want to make it "Party in the IGA".)

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

What up, fellow NC goon. Ever driven US1 though Kittrell? Known speed trap there.

(Also, every time I see your username I want to make it "Party in the IGA".)

sounds like most of US 74 from Laurinburg to Charlotte honestly

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Polikarpov posted:

There's a certain type of retention holster that puts your finger right into the trigger guard when you draw. Combine that with the modern fad of semiautomatic pistols with no external safety and you get a lot of dude trying to be high speed and shooting themselves in the leg.
IDGI, when you draw your index should always, always be either on the frame or on the bottom of the guard.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
He's referring to SERPA holsters I believe, which use a locking mechanism actuated by the trigger finger to release the gun. This goes into detail and references the video of the guy shooting his leg.
http://weaponsman.com/?p=16642

Former Delta Force commando and firearms trainer Larry Vickers:

quote:

I have banned for almost two years now Serpa style (trigger finger paddle release) holsters from my classes – several other instructors and training facilities have done the same. …. I understand many shooters use Serpa holsters on a regular basis with no issues whatsoever. However an open enrollment class environment has its own set of challenges … and a trigger finger paddle release holster is asking for trouble.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

JFC "asking for trouble" is putting it lightly.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

qkkl posted:

Depends on the state. I know a guy who took a bridge out because he had his boom not fully seated. It was a metal framed bridge on Hwy 1 in MN called "The Killer Bridge". One lane, wood deck, very steep on each side, lots of logging trucks. He survived and never had any trouble except for a huge insurance jump. No license issues and no lawsuit. These things happen.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/hTisecC.mp4

Happy new year!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Olothreutes posted:

There are three reasons to have an ID program, according to the guy that runs the ID program for the lab I work at/teaches the ID class at the local university.
1) You have to. This is basically to fulfill a legal requirement.
2) To protect worker health.
3) As a last line of defense for your rad control people. This is the most common usage.

Number three above basically means that you do the pee tests every however long, based on what nuclide you are using you can determine a time interval, so that if someone tests positive you can tell your rad control people that they hosed up. Tritium usually shows up only in people who do weapons work because it's really only used in weapons these days. Iodine will show up in medical settings where they manufacture various isotopes for medical imaging. Uranium and plutonium are rare, and a lot of the process for things like fuel fabrication and source manufacturing are done in isolated containment structures to try and avoid contaminating or exposing workers. There are also lots of alarms that they put around these places in order to sound the "oh poo poo!" if something does get loose.

In most places you just wear a TLD (thermoluminescent dosimeter) which tracks your exposure to external radiation, which is way more common. I wear a TLD when I'm working with the reactor, or just sitting in my office that is close to an experimental device, but I've never had to pee in a cup despite doing stuff like handling fuel. My dose reports every quarter are below detectable limits because we are super risk averse (except that one quarter where they set up an experiment and accidentally exposed all the dosimeters while they weren't being worn, oops!).

When I have to suit up for something major, I get a real time dosimeter in a plastic baggy that I tape to my chest, on top of my bunny suit.
I can tell you the "isolated containment structure" for uranium processing is a corregated tin building with dust monitors that indicate when to wear a filtering respirator or not. The monthly pee system was in place to test respirator and dust monitor effectiveness with post-shift testing for any work done where coming into skin contact or surprise clouds of dust. But the health physics department and rumor mill talked like the enrichment facility down the road did frequent pee tests too. UF6 is easier to keep in a pipe than ore or salt intermediates but it leaves garbage oxide residue everywhere it comes into air contact with a hefty biological retention time so I can buy it being used there. Fuel fab seems fairly mechanical as well but there wasn't one down the road for the scuttlebutt to get thrown around about who had to pee in cups.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wonder if you could smuggle plutonium out of a production facility by eating it and then later recovering it from your pee and poo?

Assuming the facility wasn't using an exit detector that would catch you immediately, how much plutonium could you eat at a time without poisoning yourself (acutely)? How long would it take to smuggle out enough to make a bomb?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's tradition. :geert:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sagebrush posted:

I wonder if you could smuggle plutonium out of a production facility by eating it and then later recovering it from your pee and poo?

Assuming the facility wasn't using an exit detector that would catch you immediately, how much plutonium could you eat at a time without poisoning yourself (acutely)? How long would it take to smuggle out enough to make a bomb?

You need about 11 kg for a bomb. The guy from the story swallowed micrograms. That's a lot of trips.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

C.M. Kruger posted:

He's referring to SERPA holsters I believe, which use a locking mechanism actuated by the trigger finger to release the gun. This goes into detail and references the video of the guy shooting his leg.
http://weaponsman.com/?p=16642

Former Delta Force commando and firearms trainer Larry Vickers:

From what I remember, Tex Grebner (the guy who shot himself) explained that he did it because he was using a different holster than he normally did. The SERPA he was using requires you to push the button and then pull up on the gun; if you pull up and then push the button, the gun stays locked. Tex was used to a holster with a different mechanism so he pulled, pushed, realized it wasn't coming out and tried to curl his index finger to get more leverage, and so as the gun came out his finger slipped and pulled the trigger.

I use a Safariland for a P226 that not only doesn't give a poo poo if you pull first, you can actuate the button with your middle finger. No need to put your trigger finger anywhere near the trigger until it's out.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

PittTheElder posted:

You need about 11 kg for a bomb. The guy from the story swallowed micrograms. That's a lot of trips.

I would expect the Plutonium to be heavily tracked to the point where even a fraction of a gram going missing would result in an audit and lockdown of the laboratory. Whether it's in a lunchbox or inside your body you probably just can't quietly steal Plutonium.

However there is a point where you have a guard, and a guard who watches the guard, and you can only go so far. So while unlikely and difficult it would be wrong to say it's impossible to steal something.

Also for an implosion device primary don't you also need very precise casting and machining of the fissile material that in and of itself is fairly complicated to do?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 1, 2017

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Turns out spilling a couple of dl of -80°C isopropanol on your fingers isn't a bright thing to do

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Three-Phase posted:

I would expect the Plutonium to be heavily tracked to the point where even a fraction of a gram going missing would result in an audit and lockdown of the laboratory. Whether it's in a lunchbox or inside your body you probably just can't quietly steal Plutonium.

However there is a point where you have a guard, and a guard who watches the guard, and you can only go so far. So while unlikely and difficult it would be wrong to say it's impossible to steal something.

Also for an implosion device primary don't you also need very precise casting and machining of the fissile material that in and of itself is fairly complicated to do?

Yeah there's hundreds of reasons why it would never work. Aside from the processes needed to repurify metallic Plutonium of the proper allotrope, you'll need to carefully machine it into shape, find suitable materials for an iniator, and come up with some explosive lenses and highly precise detonators.

It would literally be easier to steal a complete weapon.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

HUMAN FISH posted:

Turns out spilling a couple of dl of -80°C isopropanol on your fingers isn't a bright thing to do

But did you have fun doing it?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tires are terrifying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqw4ZooBzLw

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah there's hundreds of reasons why it would never work. Aside from the processes needed to repurify metallic Plutonium of the proper allotrope, you'll need to carefully machine it into shape, find suitable materials for an iniator, and come up with some explosive lenses and highly precise detonators.

It would literally be easier to steal a complete weapon.

machining the plutonium itself into shape wouldn't be that difficult. (though I think in the situation we're discussing, forging followed by precision grinding would be a better option).

making the explosive lenses, yeah, that takes some work.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

:nms: if you cry watching R-rated movies

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dillbag posted:

I do but I couldn't stop myself. :cry:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get away with way less than that, but it depends on a number of factors. But 11 kg is an insanely large amount. I would expect you'd need 2-3 kg.

Three-Phase posted:

Any fissile material is very carefully accounted for. It's a big issue with reprocessing plants where someone could conceivably get their hands on pure material. The IAEA watches that poo poo like a hawk, and material accountancy is an area with a lot of ongoing research. A classmate is getting his PhD based entirely on how to track fissile material through a pyroprocessing setup, he'll be one of maybe five people in the world that has any idea how to do this stuff when he's done, and three of the other people are on his committee.

Sagebrush posted:

For the reasons above they would notice very quickly, and the majority of it would not come out of you so you'd need to smuggle far more than the bomb amount in order to recover that much. You would likely die from heavy metal poisoning first.

zedprime posted:

I can tell you the "isolated containment structure" for uranium processing is a corregated tin building with dust monitors that indicate when to wear a filtering respirator or not. The monthly pee system was in place to test respirator and dust monitor effectiveness with post-shift testing for any work done where coming into skin contact or surprise clouds of dust. But the health physics department and rumor mill talked like the enrichment facility down the road did frequent pee tests too. UF6 is easier to keep in a pipe than ore or salt intermediates but it leaves garbage oxide residue everywhere it comes into air contact with a hefty biological retention time so I can buy it being used there. Fuel fab seems fairly mechanical as well but there wasn't one down the road for the scuttlebutt to get thrown around about who had to pee in cups.

I have very little experience with mining and fuel fab, but there is an enrichment plant in state that we did a tour of and everything was very sealed over there. I don't know what their dosimetry program looks like though, they did not like to answer questions about their business at all, even for things that are presumably unconnected to how they run their facility. I got to see the centrifuges, which was neat, but they are very loud and there was a very strict policy about stuff because apparently you could, in theory, tell what RPM they were running them at based on the frequency of the noise and that was more of a risk than they would take. Source manufacturing is supposed to be in sealed containers until you get something into a glovebox or a hot cell. Out at the lab we have massive hot cells with remote manipulators and leaded glass windows to stare through, although we almost never use them.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Olothreutes posted:

Testing for this involves putting the urine in a liquid scintillator and looking for light flashes, which you'll get from the alphas and the associated gammas. Because there should be zero, even a few flashes are enough for someone to determine there's contamination.

so you're saying all i gotta do to get piss that flashes in the dark is eat a bunch of plutonium?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!

Sagebrush posted:

machining the plutonium itself into shape wouldn't be that difficult. (though I think in the situation we're discussing, forging followed by precision grinding would be a better option).

making the explosive lenses, yeah, that takes some work.

Plutonium has like half a dozen different solid-state allotropes, machining it is actually a bitch because it's so eager to change phase. It's also pyrophoric so any machining of it needs to be done in a controlled atmosphere/sealed space. Otherwise you wind up with your workspace filled with a bunch of plutonium oxide vapor.

Olothreutes posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get away with way less than that, but it depends on a number of factors. But 11 kg is an insanely large amount. I would expect you'd need 2-3 kg.

10kg is the critical mass for a bare sphere of 239. Getting it down to 2-3 kilograms is way harder, and is the kind of thing modern nation-states do a whole bunch of R&D and computer modeling and full-scale testing to achieve.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 1, 2017

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Dillbag posted:

What movie is that from?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JB50 posted:

What movie is that from?

Toy Story 3.

It could be Elysium too, they both have similar scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

JB50 posted:

What movie is that from?

Elysium. I don't remember exactly what, but the bad guy's getting blown up by a grenade or bomb going off in an enclosed space on a ship or something.