Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Downs Duck posted:

What made you drop them?

They're not for everybody but I question buying two of them if you're not sure if the series is for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Did Gat Outta Hell end up being good? I heard it was wonky when it was first released.

It's fun but really short. Like you could probably 100% it in ten hours or so (how long to beat says 16 but that seems really high).

Story is like 3 hours.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My enjoyment of Elite went up substantially with the Saitek X52 I got for Christmas. If I had limitless resources I'd turn my upstairs office into a spaceship cockpit to complete the immersion.

So yeah, it's probably not a great purchase if you don't have a nice flight stick of some kind.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

With Bot Vice I'd say dodging is more critical than cover but if you're getting bombarded you may need to hang behind cover while it exists. It is a very tough game, yeah.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

DrNutt posted:

My enjoyment of Elite went up substantially with the Saitek X52 I got for Christmas. If I had limitless resources I'd turn my upstairs office into a spaceship cockpit to complete the immersion.

So yeah, it's probably not a great purchase if you don't have a nice flight stick of some kind.

I've put it on the back burner until they add a lot more stuff. Also, it seems like it would be fun with a VR headset which I may get in a few years.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I've been playing Grim Dawn and it's really cool so far, it definitely has more of a Diablo 2 feel than a Titan Quest feel which is great.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Mokinokaro posted:

Only 3 or 4. The couple times I've tried my carpal's been bad.

Play with a gamepad. I'm on Stage 9 or so, but that's because I've been working on perfecting the stages.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Blattdorf posted:

Play with a gamepad. I'm on Stage 9 or so, but that's because I've been working on perfecting the stages.

I have, but my 360 pad's wearing out. I should just pair up one of my DS4s one of these days.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Steam released their top sellers for all of 2016 and No Mans Sky was in the top ten. Da gently caress? Seriously? People still bought that game even with all the bad press to push it into the top 10 and without a major discount to it?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I do know a guy who bought it and he can't even run the thing on his computer. Hype can be powerful.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Mokinokaro posted:

They're not for everybody but I question buying two of them if you're not sure if the series is for you.

They were $10 each during the sale and I got a $20 refund for Hero's Song because the studio went under and gave everyone who bought it their money back.. I figured I would take a gamble and if I liked them, I would keep them and beat them before the GOTY edition of 3 came out. If I didn't enjoy it, easy enough to refund.

I didn't enjoy the first because the controls felt way too stiff and slow, and I assume the rest of the games follow the formula and two hours was enough time for me to make a decision.. No complaints, just not my thing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mokinokaro posted:

Nelly Cootalot and the Fowl Fleet

GREAT little adventure game that feels almost like Monkey Island if written by Terry Pratchett. VERY British-based humor and therefore I'm sure I've missed some jokes/references but it's charming as hell.
With the sole exception of all the mini-games, and the slightly bungled third act, NC:TFF is really great.

Meanwhile, I've spent most of the sale playing through Delicious: Emily's Message in a Bottle. I actually got it for my mom, as a part of my neverending quest, but she found it too easy / cartoony. Meanwhile, I got addicted and finished the whole thing.

It's a "diner dash" clone. If you know what that means, the next paragraph is redundant, but I had basically no idea. It's kind of like Cook Serve Delicious, mixed with the 12 labors of Hercules series. Time and resource management: Customers come into your restaurant, and ask for different dishes. Some are ready made, some you have to prepare - the CSD portion of the game. But your avatar is actually rushing across the restaurant, each action taking a bit of precious time and customer patience - the Hercules part.

So you have to prioritize your cooking, serving and cleaning routes for optimal efficiency, making sure you can bake a pizza, grab a bottle of water, dig up some truffles, clean a table, draw water from the well, send a goat to entertain your guests, play the bajo, and finally catch that freaking mouse, all as quickly as possible. A mad mix of reflexive clicking and quick calculations. My reflexes suck, so I found the game to be just challenging enough on the easiest difficulty setting. (Which is why there are absolutely no screenshots of the gameplay - I was too focused at the time)

I quit CSD due to the tedium of doing the same thing over and over again, and due to my lacking reflexes. This game allows you to gently caress up without ruining "your perfect day", which is a huge plus. On the easiest difficulty, at least, you can get 3 stars even if a customer or two storm out. Also, you get a new restaurant every 10 levels. Same basic idea, but different dishes and moderately different mechanics.

Before and after each level you a bit more of the cute story about a family reunion and amnesia hi-jinks. The story is basically amusing, and takes itself just the right amount of seriously. It suffers from a bit of over-reliance upon 1950's sitcoms "that's our character, ahahahah" freeze frames, but I found myself fairly invested.

Definitely recommended, but the game isn't actually on sale yet (which is why I didn't feel the need to write this review earlier)

Two odd things though - the food in this game is stylized and cartoony enough that it's unappetizing. I got fairly hungry while playing CSD, but not a single dish in this game got me curious enough to google. Also, for a game about the joy of running a family restaurant, the customers are consistently treated as a necessary evil / pests.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 1, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Steam released their top sellers for all of 2016 and No Mans Sky was in the top ten. Da gently caress? Seriously? People still bought that game even with all the bad press to push it into the top 10 and without a major discount to it?

We have no idea whether it includes refunds or not, for one. But I wouldn't be surprised in the least because game consumers have stopped making sense to me long ago.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Givin posted:

They were $10 each during the sale and I got a $20 refund for Hero's Song because the studio went under and gave everyone who bought it their money back.. I figured I would take a gamble and if I liked them, I would keep them and beat them before the GOTY edition of 3 came out. If I didn't enjoy it, easy enough to refund.

I didn't enjoy the first because the controls felt way too stiff and slow, and I assume the rest of the games follow the formula and two hours was enough time for me to make a decision.. No complaints, just not my thing.

That's fair, just curious.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Happy new year everyone! I have keys for some games I already have so have at them! Claim em or whatever and I'll PM you or something. (note: i'm not sure WHY i have these dupe keys? I dunno if Humble Bundle gave me dupe keys by accident or if I really did just buy a lot of bundles with overlapping games this past year, so hopefully the gift links work when you get them!)

The Beginner's Guide
Betrayer
Bionic Commando: Rearmed
Chroma Squad
Closure
Dropsy
Mars: War Logs
Odallus: The Dark Call
Outland Special Edition
Pix the Cat
Psychonauts
Resident Evil Revelations 2 Ep. 1
Shadowrun Returns
Shantae: Risky's Revenge Director's Cut
Snakebird
Strider 2014
Styx: Master of Shadows
Technobabylon
Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure
Trine 2 Complete Story
Westerado: Double Barrelled

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 2, 2017

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Happy new year everyone! I have keys for some games I already have so have at them! Claim em or whatever and I'll PM you or something. (note: i'm not sure WHY i have these dupe keys? I dunno if Humble Bundle gave me dupe keys by accident or if I really did just buy a lot of bundles with overlapping games this past year, so hopefully the gift links work when you get them!)

I'll relieve you of this if I may

e: and received! Bad Bart better not cause trouble in this town's saloon again! :ese:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 1, 2017

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
Are there any other tables on Pinball FX that are like Epic Quest? I have a bit of card money kicking around, so I can pick up one. I'm debating on a getting a pack but really I'd rather have quality over quantity.

My other option is to pick up Lucius, which I keep putting off. Has anyone had any experience with that game?

Had a pretty good haul from this sale, but I have to say the 2 standouts so far are God Eater, which really is just like Monster Hunter, and the Carpe Fulgur Pack. I would definitely recommend both.

EDIT: Could I possibly get Resident Evil: Revelations?

EDIT2: Holy poo poo that was quick, Thanks!

ScentOfAnOtaku fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 1, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Beginner's Guide
Hey, I'd really like to play this one if it's still available.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The Beginner's Guide
Betrayer
Chroma Squad
Closure
Dropsy
Odallus: The Dark Call
Outland Special Edition
Pix the Cat
Psychonauts
Resident Evil Revelations 2 Ep. 1
Shadowrun Returns
Shantae: Risky's Revenge Director's Cut
Snakebird
Strider 2014
Styx: Master of Shadows
Technobabylon
Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure
Trine 2 Complete Story

I'd love Styx. I can give you one of Her Story/Contraption Maker/System Shock 2 if you somehow don't have one of those.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Antti posted:

I'd love Styx. I can give you one of Her Story/Contraption Maker/System Shock 2 if you somehow don't have one of those.
got all 3 of those, but check your PMs anyway friend!

Tsunami Redux
Jan 18, 2008

Dropsy

I'd take one or both of these. :)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Are there any other tables on Pinball FX that are like Epic Quest? I have a bit of card money kicking around, so I can pick up one. I'm debating on a getting a pack but really I'd rather have quality over quantity.

Get Rollers of the Realm

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I wrote a glowing review of Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments in here; I'd like to report back in after the second case that the game's holding up, although mystifyingly the second case was if anything a little simpler than the first case. Still assuming/hoping that the remaining four cases are a little more in-depth. I'm having a nagging worry that I'm too genre-smart for the game.

What I liked about the second case was that it wasn't a whodunit as much as it was a howdunit. You figure out fairly quickly what's happened but you need to also figure out how exactly it got done. There was also one moment of interesting misdirection where you see a Morse code key at the desk of a station manager and you start to decipher a poorly formulated telegram with it only to realize that the point wasn't that there was a hidden message, but that the station manager needed a Morse key in the first place. I am not sure if that was on purpose or if I'm just prone to overthinking clues.

got all 3 of those, but check your PMs anyway friend!

Thanks a lot!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Big thanks for The Beginner's Guide Quest For Glory II! You're very generous with those keys!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Palpek posted:

Big thanks for The Beginner's Guide Quest For Glory II! You're very generous with those keys!
well people were generous to me in this sale, I got gifted 8 games, so I figured it was only fair to give away some stuff too

e: takin a nap now but i'll handle the rest when i get up

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 1, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So I refunded Football Tactics yesterday and I've got about 14 bucks left.

Debating either getting Space Engineers or 8-Bit Armies and Turmoil. Any thoughts?

I've been playing a lot of Astroneer lately so I feel like Space Engineers might also scratch that itch.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Actually in my sale review dump I missed one worth mentioning.

Orwell is a pretty cool little detective game where you play as an agent for Big Brother and have to figure out the perpetrators in several high profile cases, starting with a series of terrorist attacks. Using a small suite of spy tools, you basically comb social networks and chats, along with major newspapers and websites to establish connections between potential suspects and the crimes.

What's fun here though is that you're explicitly not the judge or jury, you're just an investigator and when you find conflicting evidence it's up to you to submit which piece you believe is true (and even more fun, you cannot take back anything you submit, so you want to make sure to collate evidence between making those decisions, if you can.)

There's enough leeway in how you handle things that it affects the flow of the overall story. It's a surprisingly engaging game for something where you only interact with characters past the tutorial through your decisions.

Do you believe the pro-privacy advocate with bipolar issues is actually a threat? Or are her online postings just an unstable teen venting? These are the kind of judgement calls you need to make and your decisions can have disastrous consequences.

There's a demo up on Steam that's of decent length.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
I'm considering grabbing Necropolis and DOOM. I have a slightly older PC, so I can't tell if DOOM will be worth playing without super new hardware. Is Necropolis fun solo? How's the co-op?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
DOOM has a demo

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

I'd love to grab this if it's still available, thanks.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I'm a little bit out of the loop here: is there a game on sale that plays like a modern version of Warlords 3: Darklords Rising? Turn-based strategy with a focus on pumping out units + combat, not so much city management?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Snakebird

I don't have PMs, will a steam id do instead? https://steamcommunity.com/id/zekkass/

I didn't get the bundle with snakebird in it last year and I've been regretting it ever since. :shobon:

e: Thanks!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 1, 2017

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Jack's Flow posted:

I'm a little bit out of the loop here: is there a game on sale that plays like a modern version of Warlords 3: Darklords Rising? Turn-based strategy with a focus on pumping out units + combat, not so much city management?

Age of Wonders 3.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gromit posted:

I'd love to grab this if it's still available, thanks.
sorry someone beat you to it in a PM :( (i checked the timestamps and it was literally 2 minutes apart!!) let me know if you want anything else though.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Lowen posted:

Age of Wonders 3.

Oh, that's perfect. I remember liking Shadow Magic a lot. Thank you.

edit: v Thanks. I decided to grab the whole thing at 50% off.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 1, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jack's Flow posted:

Oh, that's perfect. I remember liking Shadow Magic a lot. Thank you.

As a note, both expansions are great but Eternal Lords definitely has more content with 2 new races(Tigrans and Frostlings) and a new class (Necromancer) if you have to pick one or the other.

Its a fantastic game even at base though.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

sorry someone beat you to it in a PM :( (i checked the timestamps and it was literally 2 minutes apart!!) let me know if you want anything else though.

Doh. How about Technobabylon then?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Anybody ever played Dead Secret?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Mad Bullets is an endless Western-style shooter for just under a buck (or euro). It's quite fun and has several modes. It might make for a perfect podcast game or just something to blast away at whenever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So, any hot takes on Redout?

• Locked thread