Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Bogart posted:

I admit I skipped most of the 2 LP after a point because I was tired of the hilarious commentary combined with the bad story.
It is hard to beat taking the rhythm boss enemy to the real world and then getting hit by fighter jets and being impaled on the Tokyo tower.

2 is the least important entry in the series. It's a terrible game, it's completely without the qualities that made Drakengard or Nier interesting (where Drakengard 3 is somewhat toned down from Drakengard it still has at least a healthy fraction of that weirdness). The story is also extremely frustrating for how much literally nobody talks to each other and how dumb the protagonist is.

In an effort to be ready for Automata, catching up on Drakengard 2 is even more unimportant than the rest of the series since it delivers literally 0 context, as a branch of Drakengard that has nothing to do with the Nier branch. The only reason to consume any of it in any way is pretty much because TDI is an excellent LPer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Genocyber posted:

Eh, you do miss out on content but you can just start a new game if you really want to do them.

I did do a new game for the speedrun cheevo. NO MORE. :colbert:

Really though, it's just supremely annoying if you're trying to 100% the thing. I didn't know much about NieR going in, but I knew it was related to Drakengard and those games had NG+ so I assumed NeiR's would work the same way. If you'd already done say most or all of the latter-half sidequests and figured you'd clean up the first-half ones you'd missed on the same file, sucks to be you, buddy. You want that 100% you're doing all the first-halfers and redoing the second-halfers you've already done on a new file.

Or you could just not give a poo poo about the percent number on the sidequest screen I guess. :v:

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Drakengard 2 had exactly one contribution to the rest if the series, in that it established Dragons being an opposing existence to the Watchers, a detail which forms much of the backbone for Drakengard 3's plot.

DanielCross fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 1, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DanielCross posted:

Drakengard 2 had exactly one contribution to the rest if the series, in that it established Dragons being an opposing existence to the Watchers, a detail which forms much of the backbone for Drakengard 3's plot.
I honestly didn't know that came from D2, I just figured D3 established that! Shows how much I missed not playing that awful game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's actually established in Drakengard's C ending. D2 has no redeeming qualities.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DanielCross posted:

From what I remember diving into the Drakengard wiki once, apparently both the dragons and the watchers were both made by the Drakengard universe God because he wanted to gently caress with humans. Also that it's literally the biblical God, with Jesus' death being the splitting point for our universe's and theirs.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Can't believe my boy Dadalus was a bird all along.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Genocyber posted:

From what I remember diving into the Drakengard wiki once, apparently both the dragons and the watchers were both made by the Drakengard universe God because he wanted to gently caress with humans. Also that it's literally the biblical God, with Jesus' death being the splitting point for our universe's and theirs.
Was this established in-game or is it like, audio drama canon? Because I don't remember hearing that before and I LOVE IT AND YOKO TARO :allears:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Real hurthling! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD6xCLlF5dY

YT puppet talks about how 9/11 changed everything about his perspective on videogame violence

I do wonder how this game will play into Taro's views on killing because the more I ponder upon it the more real the chance that humans don't really exist in the game's time feels for me and that the conflict is entirely pointless.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Nina posted:

I do wonder how this game will play into Taro's views on killing because the more I ponder upon it the more real the chance that humans don't really exist in the game's time feels for me and that the conflict is entirely pointless.

The moon androids just being produced and sent out automatically according to programs the long dead humans made to kill the earth robots who are just trying to make a proper society would fit the series.

... neat we're the mindless menace from space.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

A Sometimes Food posted:

The moon androids just being produced and sent out automatically according to programs the long dead humans made to kill the earth robots who are just trying to make a proper society would fit the series.

Yeah, but how does the alien invasion fit into this?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

A Sometimes Food posted:

Hell the line about environment change makes me think the biomachines are actually fixing the planet.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Holy poo poo, I just played the Demo. This is way more than what I was expecting.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Is it coming on pc at the same time or what, i cant find any info about that

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Is it coming on pc at the same time or what, i cant find any info about that

The PC Release date so far is unconfirmed.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Libluini posted:

Yeah, but how does the alien invasion fit into this?

That's the interesting part. It's supposed to be humans and aliens fighting a proxy war but we haven't seen confirmed humans or aliens.

Anyone have any idea what word they even used for the aliens in the YoRHa play to confirm if it's actually like space aliens or alien in the sense of something of foreign origin

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Wouldn't be surprised to learn all the humans and aliens died out long ago, but their "Living" weapons are carrying on without them.

That'd fit in neatly with Taro Yoko's philosophy of violence as well: violence permeating more violence long after the original aggressors and victims are dead.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bad Seafood posted:

Wouldn't be surprised to learn all the humans and aliens died out long ago, but their "Living" weapons are carrying on without them.

That'd fit in neatly with Taro Yoko's philosophy of violence as well: violence permeating more violence long after the original aggressors and victims are dead.

That's too predictable for YT even if it's fitting his usual themes.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Some Watcher hijinks will definitely be involved so it definitely won't be as simple as that. But it might be the core idea.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Hence, "Wouldn't be surprised." I'd be a first act twist for sure.

Maybe even a zero act twist, considering everything the original game establishes.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
aliens are just humans from the future and the androids are killing off their masters unwittingly but the alien future humans are trying to stop the past humans because humans continuing to exist is going to lead to something more horrible than extinction like humans will eventually become watchers in the future or something

who knows; im excite.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Well I mean we still don't know where the Cathedral City came from right

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Nina posted:

Well I mean we still don't know where the Cathedral City came from right

Wait, wasn't it how they got rid of Maso from Nier's world? Sent it away to another dimension which happened to be Drakengard's past?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

drat Yoko is so cheeky http://nier2.com/blog/2017/01/02/square-enix-presents-2nd-live-broadcast-recap/

quote:

Taura: The section of the game that I worked on included a lot of her lines (Operator 6O), so from the beginning of the day as I worked and listened to those lines, I thought, “Alright! I can do this!”

Saito: What lines were they, for example?

Yoko: “I will destroy you!”

Isobe: I never said that!

Taura: Whoever would get off listening to that is a freak.

Saito: So, what was the actual line?

Taura: It was a line where she says, “Hang in there!” Just the nuance or intonation of that line felt really good to me.

Yoko: Okay, I’ll be sure to delete those lines, then. I’ll change it to something like, “I’ll loving kill you!”

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Chip uploaded a playthrough of the demo and to no one's surprise it's really good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIEyXz2mprg

Didn't really look at long stretches of gameplay before and I am suuperhyped now.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bad Seafood posted:

Same, this would totally fit and is even something that's been done in a few other Japanese games before like that Nechronica tabletop game or Blazing Star that, while I wouldn't necessarily call "Taro Yoko-esque" or something have some light similarities going on.

Also drat this demo is awesome. The action feels freaking awesome and the moves all look great too. Also the soundtrack is definitely on point too, my wife didn't know the demo dropped and was like "Is that the new Nier game?" Just from the hearing some of the music from another room :wtc: But man I'm super hype for this now. Still I do hope it has some towns and stuff like Nier did, I'm assuming it will since the menus are almost the same as Nier's with the quest screen/etc. I'm not expecting overworld stuff like in Nier but I'm hoping it's not just a small MMO kind of hub on the Moon between missions to upgrade/chat.

I really am impressed how much it still feels like Nier and how much Platinum has complemented this type of setting. Also the way you split into multiples when you dodge right is so cool looking. :)

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 3, 2017

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

Chip uploaded a playthrough of the demo and to no one's surprise it's really good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIEyXz2mprg

Didn't really look at long stretches of gameplay before and I am suuperhyped now.

Two Best Friends did a video as well. It's mostly Pat and Woolie making sex noises. Which was pretty much my reaction to playing it as well. I haven't been this hyped in years.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

Zero and 2B having the same voice actress (in English, anyway) has me speculating more than I should be :shobon:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Extra Tasty posted:

Zero and 2B having the same voice actress (in English, anyway) has me speculating more than I should be :shobon:

I thought she sounded familiar.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

2B's Pod is also Grimoire Noir in English AFAIK

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

quote:

Saito: We’re progressing a little fast here, so you can totally go through this part slowly.

Yoko (talks slowly): Sssssssssuuuuuuuuuubbbbbbbb Qqqqqqquuuuuueeeessssssttttttttt.

I love this.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I still say that the one redeeming thing Drakengard 2 has is anything and everything to do with Caim. Even if he had next to nothing to do with the rest of the game, someone was channeling Yoko with those scenes.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

You can't go wrong with just having him murder everything and enjoy the hell outta it.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Maybe I missed something obvious, but what does the name of the demo mean?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Skychrono posted:

Maybe I missed something obvious, but what does the name of the demo mean?

Demo 1 2016 11/28 as far as I can tell

Does the date correspond with any of the events where they had footage?

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Nina posted:

Demo 1 2016 11/28 as far as I can tell

Does the date correspond with any of the events where they had footage?

If not then unless it's a date of some in-universe significance it's likely the date that the demo build was compiled, given that it would take at least 1-2 weeks to get the build tested and certified for public release.

Playing the demo last week inspired me to go back and finish the original Nier (previously I'd gotten about as far as Kaine joining my party) and drat, the second playthrough onward hit me like a hammer. Can't wait to see what soul-crushing madness awaits in this game.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Well I misread that like a twat. Nothing to see here.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Did you guys see this? People are managing to leave the demo area and I only just found out about this: (sorry if it has already been mentioned)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGkM54rYwX0

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

Did you guys see this? People are managing to leave the demo area and I only just found out about this: (sorry if it has already been mentioned)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGkM54rYwX0

I noticed that there were some collectibles just outside the map and wondered how to get there. That's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yoko: This emil plush pillow is a great item for your to throw when you’re pissed off girls in order to feel better.