Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I suggest going warning-->probation-->banned from posting in the thread.

This is my go-to thread for discussing current events because it usually doesn't devolve into slapfights. I'd be sad if that changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I hate all of you.

I never send reports and I don't cause trouble :(

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Vengarr posted:

How do treatment centers create new addicts?
Just spitballing here, but let's say you're a poor person with chronic pain, or some sort of psychological problem, but you don't have access to or can't afford the long term medical care necessary to treat it, or don't want to wait two months for an appointment with your Medicaid/VA doctor, who may in fact not completely solve your chronic pain problem no matter how much you spend, but word on the street is that there's this government distribution center where they will give you clean, pure, government drugs that don't require a prescription, and won't get you arrested, and take all the pain away for six hours at a time, for less than $10. Where do you think people with limited means and education are going to end up? People don't take opioids because they ran out of beer, they do it because something in their life is driving them to need a frighteningly strong narcotic painkiller.

Maybe government distribution of clean heroin would actually reduce harm in a situation where we've unfucked our medical system and poverty problem, and the only people seeking out opioids are recreational users dedicated to the TCC lifestyle, but once we've moved those two boulders, we probably won't need free smack distribution nearly as badly to curb the problem.

Two Finger posted:

I'm not really sure where this concept of 'handing out' comes from.
Well, arewedrunkyet's original proposition was

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Distributing pharmaceutical heroin at cost would solve the overdose problem and put black market drug dealers out of business overnight.
I'm not sure how to read that other than the gov't distributing pure, clean smack at rock bottom prices.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mike-o posted:

:same:

In somewhat fun and hopeful news, Greater Korea claiming that they're close to having an ICBM

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dead Reckoning posted:

Just spitballing here, but let's say you're a poor person with chronic pain, or some sort of psychological problem, but you don't have access to or can't afford the long term medical care necessary to treat it, or don't want to wait two months for an appointment with your Medicaid/VA doctor, who may in fact not completely solve your chronic pain problem no matter how much you spend, but word on the street is that there's this government distribution center where they will give you clean, pure, government drugs that don't require a prescription, and won't get you arrested, and take all the pain away for six hours at a time, for less than $10. Where do you think people with limited means and education are going to end up? People don't take opioids because they ran out of beer, they do it because something in their life is driving them to need a frighteningly strong narcotic painkiller.

But you can't go to a treatment center unless you have a demonstrated physical addiction that cannot be broken through normal means. It's the same as methadone. It's not welfare for crackheads.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Dead Reckoning posted:

Maybe government distribution of clean heroin would actually reduce harm in a situation where we've unfucked our medical system and poverty problem, and the only people seeking out opioids are recreational users dedicated to the TCC lifestyle, but once we've moved those two boulders, we probably won't need free smack distribution nearly as badly to curb the problem.

Well, arewedrunkyet's original proposition was

I'm not sure how to read that other than the gov't distributing pure, clean smack at rock bottom prices.

I think you've answered your own question dude, nobody who isn't desperate enough to do heroin already is going to go out and start doing it if it's suddenly cheap. And I don't think anyone is advocating giving an unlimited amount to anyone that asks, just as part of treatment programs.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
What do you mean "if heroin is cheap"? Heroin is cheap as gently caress, especially compared to oxys. That's half the reason people move from pills to heroin, because a hit is $5~ (not 100% on actual, but it's cheap) versus shelling out $30-60 for one oxy. And when your doctor stops writing scripts the insurance company used to pay for, the choice is go broke quickly or go broke slowly while risking poo poo contaminated with fentanyl or carfentanil. Once that habit really has its hooks deep, it's not much of a choice.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mike-o posted:

vasudus probated me for sending him falsified reports

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I know some of you guys like crazy things and this is some what forums related but uhhh

https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/815205007775662080

related thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803719

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
^^^ sure am regretting clicking on that

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I hate all of you.
Too bad, because we still love you and there's nothing you can do about it.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 1, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

I know some of you guys like crazy things and this is some what forums related but uhhh

https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/815205007775662080

related thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803719
Reminder: Shmorky sucked a dick to avoid getting a job.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Casimir Radon posted:

Reminder: Shmorky sucked a dick to avoid getting a job.

I can tell you he was balls deep in it from the day I met him. And I can also tell you that was his core personality, it wasn't some new fetish he developed. This is probably complete bullshit he convinced himself into believing but he disclosed to me that he was a hermaphrodite and had a full set of ovaries and a uterus wired to his dick and could SWEAR he could feel a vagina behind his balls. He was so convinced of this he sat there spread legged once, pointing to his gooch saying "See! You can kind of see where the opening is!" And I'm like "Yeah, I can totally see it..." Even though there was nothing there but normal man gooch and I was just being nice. During sex he would want me to "finger him" beind his balls where his supposed "vagina" was. He also got a "period" every month and swore that he was crampy, bloated and moody (he was always moody). I had to excuse him being extra verbally abusive once a month because it was "that time of the month

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

If you want to see full speech dubbed with some delightful Engrish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Dxty_Cb-Q

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'd say source your quotes but I don't think I want you to source that one.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

I can tell you he was balls deep in it from the day I met him. And I can also tell you that was his core personality, it wasn't some new fetish he developed. This is probably complete bullshit he convinced himself into believing but he disclosed to me that he was a hermaphrodite and had a full set of ovaries and a uterus wired to his dick and could SWEAR he could feel a vagina behind his balls. He was so convinced of this he sat there spread legged once, pointing to his gooch saying "See! You can kind of see where the opening is!" And I'm like "Yeah, I can totally see it..." Even though there was nothing there but normal man gooch and I was just being nice. During sex he would want me to "finger him" beind his balls where his supposed "vagina" was. He also got a "period" every month and swore that he was crampy, bloated and moody (he was always moody). I had to excuse him being extra verbally abusive once a month because it was "that time of the month

well that's terrifying and hilarious in equal measure

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I have no idea who shmorky is aside from only seeing his name periodically on the forums over the years, but if you're in a position of power here, dirty laundry must be a pre-requisite.

Seems like the majority of mods that have gone down over the years are just progressively more hosed up than the last, except in here since the Lt Col Civvie dumbass grover was run out.

N4i, vas, you guys have done good work. But maybe that should make me wonder what skeletons are in your closets.

Just a bunch of possum and coon skeletons in mine. Maybe I should clean it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't think Shmorky was ever a mod. Lowtax hired him to do art stuff but he's a complete loving trainwreck of a person and eventually Lowtax threw him out.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
IIRC he lived with Lowtax and Mrs. Lowtax for a while too.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:catstare:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Kazinsal posted:

IIRC he lived with Lowtax and Mrs. Lowtax for a while too.

This is when, if you have faith in someone, you get them set up in a lovely studio apartment somewhere. Or prepare yourself to walk in one day on a naked crazy person covered in body paint and glitter that just wants to be a pony in the sky, and you find yourself calling the local psychiatric hospital while hoping for the best.

Then again, lowtax isn't exactly known for his good decisions.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Vengarr posted:

But you can't go to a treatment center unless you have a demonstrated physical addiction that cannot be broken through normal means. It's the same as methadone. It's not welfare for crackheads.
So how would that be different from what we're doing now? If you're the sort of addict willing to sit through a formal assessment session with a doctor, you can already get methadone therapy, or methadone with other opioids, to help you taper. People who aren't patient enough to do that are going to just keep buying from the street. Remember, the original proposition was that the state should give away clean heroin, presumably with a low barrier, so that people would take that instead of street heroin cut with carafentanyl and ODing.

my kinda ape posted:

I think you've answered your own question dude, nobody who isn't desperate enough to do heroin already is going to go out and start doing it if it's suddenly cheap.
Heroin already is cheap. I think that article quoted $10CAD/hit as the street price. I don't think the answer to having a bunch of people desperate enough to do heroin is, "here, have some heroin."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:dogbutton:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Trump claims to know more about the election tampering than anyone else and says he will 'let us know' about it Tuesday or Wednesday.

I can't wait.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ded posted:

Trump claims to know more about the election tampering than anyone else and says he will 'let us know' about it Tuesday or Wednesday.

I can't wait.

140 characters at a time

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

ded posted:

I can't wait.

Im still surprised he can read and doesn't use talk to text.:bahgawd:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

ded posted:

I can't wait.

So what lovely thing is he doing on Monday

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Getting his information from Putin

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Starting his Presidency :negative:
(I know, that's three mondays away)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So just how much of the classified information of the country is Drumpenfuhrer able to give to pootie poot? At this point I refuse to believe anything but the idea that poot owns his rear end, probably in a literal dollars and cents sense, so how does the intelligence community react to that I wonder? Everything they give to him in any capacity is going to be handed to his handlers basically as soon as he gets it, so do they stage a silent coup and just stop giving him information while they wait for the next adminstration?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

So just how much of the classified information of the country is Drumpenfuhrer able to give to pootie poot? At this point I refuse to believe anything but the idea that poot owns his rear end, probably in a literal dollars and cents sense, so how does the intelligence community react to that I wonder? Everything they give to him in any capacity is going to be handed to his handlers basically as soon as he gets it, so do they stage a silent coup and just stop giving him information while they wait for the next adminstration?

He hasn't really given a poo poo about receiving his briefings, so I'd imagine he'd make Flynn receive them in his place, which is even more terrifying.

I give it like a month until Senate Democrats are able to convince McCain, Graham, and Rubio to open a select committee and begin subpoenaing him and his staff.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

psydude posted:

He hasn't really given a poo poo about receiving his briefings, so I'd imagine he'd make Flynn receive them in his place, which is even more terrifying.

I give it like a month until Senate Democrats are able to convince McCain, Graham, and Rubio to open a select committee and begin subpoenaing him and his staff.

:getin:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ded posted:

I can't wait.

I read that and thought, " who does that sound like......Hello Joe McCarthy, long time no see..."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

psydude posted:

I sure hope so.

My wishlist:
Embarrassing poo poo hayseeds actually care about comes out.
Said hayseeds start to notice he didn't come through on any of his promises.
Melania cheats on him in a public fashion making him President Cuck.
Criminal charges cause him to resign.
He has a stroke and watches all his businesses collapse.
His state funeral and library rights get taken away.
He dies of some fat person's disease within the next 5 year.
The GOP brand destroys itself and they start Stalinesque purges of each other.

I'm dreaming but that's what keeps me going.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I take comfort in knowing that neither the democrats or republicans are highly competent people. Driven, sure. Exceedingly intelligent, no.

They're just as likely to turn on each other as they are to unite.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm rearranging your list in order of how they should go down

Casimir Radon posted:

My wishlist:
Bill Clinton starts banging Melania in a public fashion making him President Cuck.
The GOP brand destroys itself and they start Stalinesque purges of each other.
He has a stroke and watches all his businesses collapse.
Embarrassing poo poo hayseeds actually care about comes out.
Said hayseeds start to notice he didn't come through on any of his promises.
Criminal charges cause him to resign.
His state funeral and library rights get taken away.
He dies of some fat person's disease within the next 5 year.
He is posthumously awarded the Hero of the Soviet Republic of the United States of America by President Putin

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 2, 2017

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That's what makes me :smithicide: the most.

The republicans want to wind back the clock to a mythical "Leave it to Beaver" hallucination.

And the Democrats are too loving incompetent to stop them.

Meanwhile, millions of Americans and others world wide will suffer and die of easily preventable poo poo because we can't be loving bothered to elect competent shitheads to public office anymore.

Apparently Barry-O was a fluke or something. IDK.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Well, just read the Shmorky thread, and :stare:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Godholio posted:

Well, just read the Shmorky thread, and :stare:

it's pretty personal to be asking whether i'm male or female

*writes three page essay about sucking dick to get out of rent payments*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

MRC48B posted:

The republicans want to wind back the clock to a mythical "Leave it to Beaver" hallucination.

And the Democrats are too loving incompetent to stop them.

Reminder: It's literally a plot to bring back the Gilded Age.

quote:

On August 23, 1971, prior to accepting Nixon's nomination to the Supreme Court, Powell was commissioned by his neighbor, Eugene B. Sydnor Jr., a close friend and education director of the US Chamber of Commerce, to write a confidential memorandum titled "Attack on the American Free Enterprise System," an anti-Communist, anti-New Deal blueprint for conservative business interests to retake America for the chamber.[13][14] It was based in part on Powell's reaction to the work of activist Ralph Nader, whose 1965 exposé on General Motors, "Unsafe at Any Speed," put a focus on the auto industry putting profit ahead of safety, which triggered the American consumer movement. Powell saw it as an undermining of Americans' faith in enterprise and another step in the slippery slope of socialism. [...]

The memo called for corporate America to become more aggressive in molding society's thinking about business, government, politics and law in the US. It sparked wealthy heirs of earlier American Industrialists [...] to use their private charitable foundations, [...] to fund Powell's vision of a pro-business, anti-socialist, minimalist government-regulated America as it had been in the heyday of early American industrialism, before the Great Depression and the rise of Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal.

The Powell Memorandum thus became the blueprint of the rise of the American conservative movement and the formation of a network of influential right-wing think tanks and lobbying organizations, such as The Heritage Foundation and the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) as well as inspiring the US Chamber of Commerce to become far more politically active.[15][16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_F._Powell_Jr.#Powell_Memorandum

This is what happens when people like the Koch Bros. can just saunter in and literally drop, what was it, $900,000,000 on the election? Two crazy assholes with a Crazy rear end in a top hat Agenda can afford to just spend more than Trump's campaign raised and almost as much as it took Clinton over a year to raise.

• Locked thread