Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Deceitful Penguin posted:

If I had artistic skills, I'd draw 'The perfidious gaming swede, sitting on his pile of ill gotten gains as he refuses to make Victoria 3 solely to wound the hearts of the world'.

Alas, alas, my manual dexterity is lacking

Close enough for Swedish government work:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i think there's a screen somewhere in vicky 2's ui that shows immigration factors... maybe somewhere in the pops?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
You have to hover over the specific POP I think so you can't really see why they are moving to a specific place unless you tag over to the nation they are leaving and find the specific POP that has people actually leaving.

If I remember correctly, the information is fairly unusable anyway because there isn't really anything you can do to majorly influence it.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Someone has a liberty national value, and it isn't Mexico

It actually is. Mexico has liberty national value, but not Canada, though.

I also saw Uruguay with the order NV fall to Jacobins and triple in size in a few years before exploding in a million rebels and trying out every single government form a few times before they ended up where they started.

Is there actually an explicit hardcoded nerf to Mexico's immigration?

Groogy posted:

Because there is tons of hard coding for how people should migrate and move in the scripts. Just like how it is hard coded that all of Italy's population should be exterminated in case you don't form Italy. Or my favorite, get instant game over because an AI pressed the "Form Germany" button.

I think you are gonna need a war to break out somewhere in high populated areas if you want to get immigrants.

It's not until CK2 we started being way more dynamic with how we design our scripts and go on more values than directly "You are USA so here is a +1000% migration bonus".

TL;DR: If you are playing Vicky2 and not one of the big name nations then expect to not be playing by the same rules like everyone else. Also you will probably be majorly hosed if you are not good at exploiting the game mechanics.

What's this about?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

You have the Redshirts rebels, they are scripted to revolt no matter what if you are not Sardinia Piedmont or you are not Italy. So if you are going for let's say a run as Venice or Papal States and don't want to form Italy you are put in a position where you have to exterminate all of the lower stratas of italian people in your empire. I ended up with an upper class of Italians and the Berbers from my colonies took over the lower stratas jobs since I barely had any Italians left in my Papal States game.

Also image of the information you get for why a pop moves to USA:

edit: Reading script again, I could do another run where I manage to save the Italians by doing the cheesy way of running the Great Power by Prestige tech. Then the rebels won't spawn either.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 1, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Groogy posted:

Because there is tons of hard coding for how people should migrate and move in the scripts. Just like how it is hard coded that all of Italy's population should be exterminated in case you don't form Italy. Or my favorite, get instant game over because an AI pressed the "Form Germany" button.

I think you are gonna need a war to break out somewhere in high populated areas if you want to get immigrants.

It's not until CK2 we started being way more dynamic with how we design our scripts and go on more values than directly "You are USA so here is a +1000% migration bonus".

TL;DR: If you are playing Vicky2 and not one of the big name nations then expect to not be playing by the same rules like everyone else. Also you will probably be majorly hosed if you are not good at exploiting the game mechanics.

In all seriousness this is why people (though let's be honest, there's not many of us) go on about V3 so much - the first 2 games were great in spite of being kind of bad in a lot of places so the thought of a Victoria game with the polish and attention to detail of EU4 or CK2 is extremely compelling.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Groogy posted:

What the guy actually wants is just us telling what our secret projects are, which he for some reason thinks that Kickstarting it would make it come quicker.

Or he seriously think that we don't have the money to start our own projects? :smith:

Im swedish, I worry a lot. Nah but more for the reasons Real Muensta wrote.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

double nine posted:

He just wants Rome 2 & Vicky 3 Groogy :(

And this

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Hey I am waiting for Vicky 3 as much as any of you guys, if it isn't clear Vicky 2 is my hate love game. I love it but so many things in it makes me hate it at same time. I love doing the crazy wacky things in EU3/EU4 and I want to do that again. Could Papal States become a great power? Could Texas potentially become a Aristocracy of Native Americans? Who cares it's what I want to do!

I have something like 700-800 hours in my physical copy and almost 200 hours on my Steam copy I got when I started working at Paradox. It might not be as many hours as EU3 or EU4 but I still love it.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 1, 2017

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

In other news, it looks as though Paradox is indeed swimming in money as all of their major releases from 2016 (and some from earlier) all made Steam's top 100 sales list for 2016; Stellaris came in at 13th, EUIV at 29th and HoI 4 is 39th. Hell even Cities: Skylines came in at 33rd. I guess it helps that they compete in genres that don't have a lot of other options unless you're willing to drive into the grognard rabbit hole but here's hoping they keep up the good work.

Are you talking about this list or do you have a better one. The one I linked to only sorts games into four categories. If you reload it a couple of times you'll notice that the placement of games within each category is random, so while it tells us that EU4, HoI4, and Cities:Skyline are all among the Top 40 games of 2016 it doesn't give us any idea which of them sold the most.

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 1, 2017

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
So...how's it going Groogy? :heysexy:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Zombiepop posted:

So...how's it going Groogy? :heysexy:

I can't come up with any way to make Native Americans accepted culture in Texas so they can become aristocrats :( So it is going badly. There's barely any Texans left though in my nation, most of them died in a second war against Mexico.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 1, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hoi 3 is pretty alright if you treat it as a Spanish Civil War game.

This must have been the miracle, because the Spanish Civil War was the only scenario I played before seeking out EU3 instead.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Drakhoran posted:

Are you talking about this list or do you have a better one. The one I linked to only sorts games into four categories. If you reload it a couple of times you'll notice that the placement of games within each category is random, so while it tells us that EU4, HoI4, and Cities:Skyline are all among the Top 40 games of 2016 it doesn't give us any idea which of them sold the most.

I didn't notice that it randomized, guess that makes sense though as Steam probably isn't permitted to release exact figures and they don't want people running around guessing.

Still, they all placed fairly highly on the list and did well for themselves.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm hoping HoI 4 eventually goes down that path with enough expansions - I don't know why considering there is virtually no evidence to support a theory that they will but they did a lot of things with HoI 2 so I'd like to think they'll try again with 4 after 3 tripped out of the gate and suffered badly for it. Also I want them to piss off everyone who is still salty over East vs. West.

To be good I think it would need to be it's own game and have a little bit of everything from previous games.

War/Military from HOI
Social/Political from Victoria
Characters/Relationships/Events from CK2
I'm sure stuff from EU too but I haven't really played that one

Then mix in some new Diplomacy, Espionage, and Economy systems to match the setting.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Groogy posted:

I can't come up with any way to make Native Americans accepted culture in Texas so they can become aristocrats :( So it is going badly. There's barely any Texans left though in my nation, most of them died in a second war against Mexico.

Victoria 3 confirmed! release date 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

Close enough for Swedish government work:

Yeah, I was thinking of doing something similar to that one, as I'm sure there's some anti-semetic propaganda around but I gotta wonder, would it be worth the effort?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Groogy posted:

I can't remember the last time I played a game of V2 without using the console or editing the save file...

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Ricky is better than Vicky2 with all dlc

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Groogy hasn't been taking bug reports in the main game threads since he briefly worked on Stellaris. I'm convinced he's been working on Victoria 3 all this time. In the secret Wiz-Groogy pact they divided the new generation of Paradox games between them. Wiz became the director of Stellaris while Groogy is the secret lead dev of V3.

I'm on to you, hedgehog man.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Trogdos! posted:

Groogy hasn't been taking bug reports in the main game threads since he briefly worked on Stellaris. I'm convinced he's been working on Victoria 3 all this time. In the secret Wiz-Groogy pact they divided the new generation of Paradox games between them. Wiz became the director of Stellaris while Groogy is the secret lead dev of V3.

I'm on to you, hedgehog man.

I'm pretty sure the lead dev for Stellaris got put in charge of Vic3. Wiz got snubbed but he'll have the last laugh when he murders all the old design ideas and creates a better game.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Victoria's Secret is going to be the Vicky 3 we all deserve.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm pretty sure the lead dev for Stellaris got put in charge of Vic3. Wiz got snubbed but he'll have the last laugh when he murders all the old design ideas and creates a better game.
Doomdark is back on CK2 but rumored to be doing stuff for future games which may or may not mean laying groundwork for CK3.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Ricky owns but I'll admit I've never even tried Vicky 2.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Naturally, since it is still the best game ever

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I never played Ricky. Just had Johan tell me about the genius move of putting a button.... inside another button and I face palmed myself so hard I got a concussion.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Groogy posted:

I never played Ricky. Just had Johan tell me about the genius move of putting a button.... inside another button and I face palmed myself so hard I got a concussion.

what

no really, what

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

gonna split some pops in china, see ya later

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I like the strat where you buy non-core provinces off Russia, get all the non-Russians to migrate to your other provinces, then sell the massively depopulated provinces back to Russia at a premium because they're now Russian culture :v:

At least I think that's how it worked, it's been a long time.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Remember when the Paradox Dev's official stance on the Taiping Rebellion was it wasn't important enough to be in Vicky 2? :allears:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Beamed posted:

Remember when the Paradox Dev's official stance on the Taiping Rebellion was it wasn't important enough to be in Vicky 2? :allears:

Under the current system, if the rebellion happens before Westernization you get 25,000 reform points because it counts as a separate nation and has huge population when you axxex the provs back.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I have the strange urge to read EVERYTHING about a nation I don't know much about in EU4 (like Madagascar, Indonesia, South Americans, Indian states, you name it) before I dare try playing them in-game. Is this a stupid habit to have?

I also have a hard time picking a nation to start as since there's no way I want to recreate Spain's historical Empire and decimate the New World (Or Portugal).

I also want to change the Ottoman's religion to Manichean and carve out their empire under Aeon.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Beamed posted:

lol, and the way its in the current game is pretty halfassed as well. How do we simulate a dude declaring himself the brother of jesus christ and sending china into a death spiral? just have it break off with no military meh :effort:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Grouchio posted:

I have the strange urge to read EVERYTHING about a nation I don't know much about in EU4 (like Madagascar, Indonesia, South Americans, Indian states, you name it) before I dare try playing them in-game. Is this a stupid habit to have?

It's how I always do, I need to have the general "feel" of a nation to play it kind of. It is also why I love doing the propaganda stuff for whatever nation I play in EU4 Dev MP.
Hansa - Freiheit und Geld
Aragon - Mare Nostrum/For Gondor! (Okay was more based on the joke mission)
Mameluks - Rule by Slaves
Ottomans - The True Kaiser of Rome (I was also soooo close to get the HRE title as well!)

I'm already reading up on some countries that I hope I am gonna get to be for the next game.
*crosses my fingers for Smolensk*

edit: Aaah reminiscing of my Hansa campaign where I fought Wiz as France for hundreds of years and then became his most loyal ally.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/paradox-office-multiplayer.730471/page-19#post-16526596

Groogy fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 3, 2017

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Beamed posted:

Having been involved in that spat... the actual argument was "we'd need to code whole new type of religious rebel, rather than, gee i dunno, just giving Taiping protestantism as its state religion because close enough and spawning taiping nationalists, nope, would have to be religious rebels!"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Also are there any EU4 Lets Plays in that subsection of this forum?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

reignonyourparade posted:

Having been involved in that spat... the actual argument was "we'd need to code whole new type of religious rebel, rather than, gee i dunno, just giving Taiping protestantism as its state religion because close enough and spawning taiping nationalists, nope, would have to be religious rebels!"

I remember King arguing the "it's called EUROPA victoria 2" thing in one of these very SA threads about this, didn't he?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Agean90 posted:

lol, and the way its in the current game is pretty halfassed as well. How do we simulate a dude declaring himself the brother of jesus christ and sending china into a death spiral? just have it break off with no military meh :effort:

let's be fair: the american civil war, the flagship feature of one of vicky 2's major expansions, isn't handled any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I also have a hard time picking a nation to start as since there's no way I want to recreate Spain's historical Empire and decimate the New World (Or Portugal).

I also want to change the Ottoman's religion to Manichean and carve out their empire under Aeon.

I tried this when I did my Paguruyung game, but it seems that the sum total of historical knowledge of the kingdom amounts to not much more than :shrug:.