Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Ehh. I did think Grapple was playable from the beginning.

Yeah, I even remember you saying this. I'm pretty sure I ignored spoiler season aside from saying that Lili seemed like she could be good and that anyone wanting her + to be +2 or -2/-2 was an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
So what kinda odds are we giving on a card or two that can interact with the opponents graveyard seeing print?

Will Wizards quadruple down on their new hate-free paradigm, condemning standard to drudgery for 3 more months? Will they learn from their mistakes and atone for them by letting us actually interact with the cards they print? Will mcmagic call every new card bad, again? Find out all this and more soon, on 'Magic: the Gathering: the Thread: Spoiler Season'

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

sit on my Facebook posted:

So what kinda odds are we giving on a card or two that can interact with the opponents graveyard seeing print?

Will Wizards quadruple down on their new hate-free paradigm, condemning standard to drudgery for 3 more months? Will they learn from their mistakes and atone for them by letting us actually interact with the cards they print? Will mcmagic call every new card bad, again? Find out all this and more soon, on 'Magic: the Gathering: the Thread: Spoiler Season'

I think you'll find ingest creatures are still Standard legal, sir

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Soul Glo posted:

I think you'll find ingest creatures are still Standard legal, sir

Yeah, but none of them are good, except Ulamog, who also does it 20 times and also exiles 2 permanents, is a 10/10, and is indestructible,

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah, but none of them are good, except Ulamog, who also does it 20 times and also exiles 2 permanents, is a 10/10, and is indestructible,

don't insult modern pro tour winning card Ruination Guide

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
in retrospect yeah i horribly under-rated emmy, severely underestimated how often she would be cast for 8 or 9 mana, in addition to somehow thinking the extra turn negated the mindslaver turn

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
cards like emrakul are why i like burn, burn is nice and simple and doesn't require me to read more then 2 lines of text

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mandatory lesbian posted:

in retrospect yeah i horribly under-rated emmy, severely underestimated how often she would be cast for 8 or 9 mana, in addition to somehow thinking the extra turn negated the mindslaver turn

to be fair, there are definitely board states where the mindslaver turn is basically just "flame-tongue kavu a guy" and you're still dead on board. the thing that people kind of missed is that those sort of board states are incredibly rare compared to board states where you lose to a 13/13 after they get rid of all the relevant cards in your hand.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://www.instagram.com/atomicashes/

People are out for his head right now on reddit because he makes money off these, but I see stuff like this and I think how much money WOTC leaves on the table every year.

So much of that is really beautiful.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

People are out for his head right now on reddit because he makes money off these, but I see stuff like this and I think how much money WOTC leaves on the table every year.

:swoon:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sickening posted:

His Instagram is set to private.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It is now, yeah.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Most people did; we previously hadn't seen a Mindslaver effect that wasn't just an effective time walk on TOP of the taking control of their next turn deal, and basically just wrote it off as unplayable while ignoring the 13/13 flying trampler for 8 or less mana it was attached to.

Honestly, I think the weakening and removal of interacting with your opponent's plans and (to a lesser extent) their printing better answers that shut down ways of interacting with your opponent (i.e. Selfless Spirit and Avacyn loving over destruction-based removal and wrath effects) is the single biggest problem with Standard. Broken cards come and go (sometimes with bans), but design philosophies take much longer to be corrected than individual mistakes.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yeah how DARE someone with the ABILITY to make nice art exploit lack of interest from a multi-million dollar company I am PERSONALLY BEING ATTACKED BY THIS MAN REEEEEEEEEEEE.

Poor guy just wanted to make good arts.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
That gallery also served as my periodic reminder of how much lovelier the pre-modern card frames were in several major respects.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

JerryLee posted:

That gallery also served as my periodic reminder of how much lovelier the pre-modern card frames were in several major respects.

Which major respects?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

That is nice. More of this please. If WotC made that, half of that Lotus would be covered by the nearly opaque text box.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

That is nice. More of this please. If WotC made that, half of that Lotus would be covered by the nearly opaque text box.

I have an Expedition Ancient Tomb in my cube and it drives me absolutely nuts that the entirety of the actual art is covered by a text box. They could have at least done them like the Game Day promos and had the text box be transparent.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

I have an Expedition Ancient Tomb in my cube and it drives me absolutely nuts that the entirety of the actual art is covered by a text box. They could have at least done them like the Game Day promos and had the text box be transparent.

The Expedition Ancient Tomb looks like a very nice sky.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Hellsau posted:

The Expedition Ancient Tomb looks like a very nice sky.

Yeah, it's a very odd art choice for the frame they put it in.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah how DARE someone with the ABILITY to make nice art exploit lack of interest from a multi-million dollar company I am PERSONALLY BEING ATTACKED BY THIS MAN REEEEEEEEEEEE.

Poor guy just wanted to make good arts.

The reddit thread was posted by the guy who drew that lotus. He isn't the guy running the instagram and was posting because his work was being used/sold without credit.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

bigperm posted:

The reddit thread was posted by the guy who drew that lotus. He isn't the guy running the instagram and was posting because his work was being used/sold without credit.

Oh well I mean that's rude.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Finally getting to try Vintage Cube out. Second draft I get Mox Emerald, Mox Pearl, Mox Sapphire and Ancestral Recall.

Passed a Mox Ruby :shepface:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

On Lili:

GoutPatrol posted:

Well that doesn't seem good.

whoops

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean

Night Danger Moose posted:

Hey, I've always wanted to see Duke's Dear Freja as a magic card. Needs more butt lasers though.

Archenteron posted:

*dumps a pile of werewolves into the trash bin*

Hi Shelob :syoon:

What's the issue?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
All I remember thinking about Ishkanah after she was revealed was that I already got a GB 5-CMC commander with a weird gimmick last set, but the Gitrog Monster is so much cooler as a build-around-me card.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Liliana is great, it's just that in the GW Everything meta, she's too weak. I can imagine a large number of standard formats where she'd be fantastic. If her +1 was -X/-2 she'd be way too good. Her Ultimate does actually win the game, unlike most (all?) of the other three mana 'walker ultimates.

Hellsau posted:

Dack's is - Faithless Looting vs. Disfigure. Both are reasonably powerful one-mana spells. Dack's ultimate is pretty bad and his -2 is great, Liliana's -2 is medium and her ultimate is great. It really depends on if Liliana fits into some sort of Delirium deck since she adds Planeswalkers for that card type and getting back a Big Spider seems good?

I'm really smart.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

All I remember thinking about Ishkanah after she was revealed was that I already got a GB 5-CMC commander with a weird gimmick last set, but the Gitrog Monster is so much cooler as a build-around-me card.

It's VERY HARD for something that puts 6/11 of reach into play for 5 mana to be bad especially when it's over 4 bodies. I mean Hornet Queen was awesome and that was 2 mana more for less P/T. It was only a matter of how often you were going to be getting to delirium.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Peacekeeper Colossus, 3
Artifact - Vehicle (Rare)
1W: Another target Vehicle you control becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.
Crew 4
6/6
"Keeping Peace? Its sole purpose is to keep people in fear."
--- Saheeli Rai

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GonSmithe posted:

Peacekeeper Colossus, 3
1W: Another target Vehicle you control becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.
Crew 4
6/6
--- Saheeli Rai

Holy poo poo it's Voltron.

You 1W crew a train then use that train to crew this!

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Soul Glo posted:

Finally getting to try Vintage Cube out. Second draft I get Mox Emerald, Mox Pearl, Mox Sapphire and Ancestral Recall.

Passed a Mox Ruby :shepface:

What kind of deck did you have? This cube is so nutty and fun. I smile like an idiot even when I'm losing to turn 1 Black Lotus. (Edit: which I did on turn 1 of both round one games yesterday :) )

clamiam45 fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 2, 2017

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Peacekeeper Colossus, 3
Crew 4
6/6
--- Saheeli Rai

i really reeeeeallly like this

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Thanks to the earlier discussion on foreign language cards I can tell with some certainty that this is in Spanish.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

bigperm posted:

Thanks to the earlier discussion on foreign language cards I can tell with some certainty that this is in Spanish.

Yep, since this is the post-M15 border you can see "AER - CS" at the bottom, indicating that this is an Aether Revolt card in the language Castilian Spanish.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

Oh well I mean that's rude.

Did it hurt when you fell off your high horse?

gently caress people who steal other people's art to sell "proxies" for this dumb game.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GonSmithe posted:

Peacekeeper Colossus, 3
Crew 4
6/6
--- Saheeli Rai

yo dawg I heard you like mechs so I used my mech to drive a train to make my train drive that mech

hmm, doesn't quite work

E: Also I'm glad mark rosewater was apparently not able to entirely remove mechs from Magic

Elyv fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 2, 2017

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
So a set of these and Lupine Prototype driving stupid trains and whatnot into the opponent? Toss in scrappy for recursive crewing and go Mardu for disintegration?.

Sounds bad, but I'll probably play it at my store.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Elyv posted:

yo dawg I heard you like mechs so I used my mech to drive a train to make my train drive that mech

hmm, doesn't quite work

E: Also I'm glad mark rosewater was apparently not able to entirely remove mechs from Magic

This card shall be nicknamed fishmech.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC6hoV1EW9s

I don't pay much attention to these. We ever hear a member of the Jacetice League speak before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Count Bleck posted:

Holy poo poo it's Voltron.

You 1W crew a train then use that train to crew this!

Assuming it's a comprehensive translation and not legendary, you play two of these and pay 2WW to have them crew each other

• Locked thread