Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

What the gently caress are you guys talking about? Have you ever seen a Dantoni team play? Amare-Capela-Harrell-Dwight-Pau...one of these things is not like the others, one of these things is not an athletic pnr big who can run the floor and block shots. Apart from his terrible attitude, bad back, and insistence on posting up, Dwight is the ideal Dantoni big. It's Pau who made no sense there (also Kobe, plus Nash died). Keep in mind that for a couple of years the league's most unstoppable pnr was Hedo Turkoglu and Dwight Howard :pwn:

I know it wasn't realistic and I was buying the SAS hype at the time (that hilariously came true) but I wanted the magic to take him at #2 so bad. That draft was terrible and he was the only guy who looked like he might, maaaaybe someday be a star.

I lived in Houston for a few years as a kid, so I'm very glad Dwight is gone and their coach is from WV and they play the sickest ball now so I can like them again.

Isn't it funny that Bill Simmons made fun of Jay Bilas for saying "wingspan" a billion times over a decade,, but half of the best /surprise superstars in the NBA are big hands wingspan guys

It's just a sport where having long arms big hands and fluid hips is really helpful, there's no need to fight it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DeimosRising posted:

What the gently caress are you guys talking about? Have you ever seen a Dantoni team play? Amare-Capela-Harrell-Dwight-Pau...one of these things is not like the others, one of these things is not an athletic pnr big who can run the floor and block shots. Apart from his terrible attitude, bad back, and insistence on posting up, Dwight is the ideal Dantoni big. It's Pau who made no sense there (also Kobe, plus Nash died). Keep in mind that for a couple of years the league's most unstoppable pnr was Hedo Turkoglu and Dwight Howard :pwn:

Dwight was obviously more athletic, but Pau's passing, handles, and range ticked the D'Antoni skill boxes more in my head. Also, Pau's downgrade in mobility is lessened playing at the 5 at a time when Small ball wasn't really common as it is now. I think him using Wesley Johnson at the 4 was considered weird instead of the standard at the time.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Jesus christ

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yeah it's become very clear that was dumb as poo poo, and height never mattered just wingspan. No one talked about it in the 80s/90s but look back at Bird, Jordan, Hakeem, Sid Moncrief, or ESPECIALLY Chuck Barkley and they are straight up arm/hand mutants.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Anyone recommend some more freedawkins highlight reels. Im not doing anything till Tuesday.

Ive watched most of Giannas (and Embiid obviously).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tae posted:

Dwight was obviously more athletic, but Pau's passing, handles, and range ticked the D'Antoni skill boxes more in my head. Also, Pau's downgrade in mobility is lessened playing at the 5 at a time when Small ball wasn't really common as it is now. I think him using Wesley Johnson at the 4 was considered weird instead of the standard at the time.

No Dantoni team has ever had a 5 like that. He ran Amare in Phoenix (no range, no passing, unremarkable handles), Amare and David Lee in NYK (no range, not great passers, unremarkable handles), and now Capela and Harrell in Houston (straight up no passing, handles, or range at all). The closest to that would be Raef LaFrentz in Denver 20 years ago or Diaw playing some 5 when Amare got hurt. And both of those guys were dramatically more athletic and had much longer range than Pau. I love Pau but he's a triangle/corner offense big and totally out of place in a run and gun pick and roll offense. He wasn't even mobile when he was in Memphis.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i'm looking to get into the nba. is league pass the mlb.tv equivalent?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

DeimosRising posted:

No Dantoni team has ever had a 5 like that. He ran Amare in Phoenix (no range, no passing, unremarkable handles), Amare and David Lee in NYK (no range, not great passers, unremarkable handles), and now Capela and Harrell in Houston (straight up no passing, handles, or range at all). The closest to that would be Raef LaFrentz in Denver 20 years ago or Diaw playing some 5 when Amare got hurt. And both of those guys were dramatically more athletic and had much longer range than Pau. I love Pau but he's a triangle/corner offense big and totally out of place in a run and gun pick and roll offense. He wasn't even mobile when he was in Memphis.

Amare actually had an incredible jumper he developed in Phoenix. It was actually one of the things that made him one of the most promising guys in the league before he went to NY and it all went sideways

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

the_american_dream posted:

This was many pages and maybe even a different thread ago but did anyone mention Spud Webb as players there will never be another of?

He's got to be at the top of that list

There will be when the Cavs unleash Kay Felder.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Dejan Bimble posted:

Our very own brolic wrote a great article about it that I'd link if I could find. But he makes Harden esque dribble moves but with the stride of a living wicker man. It's not fair to the other boys
shameless self promotion

http://thesportsquotient.com/nba/2016/3/14/footwork-and-the-freak

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Time posted:

Amare actually had an incredible jumper he developed in Phoenix. It was actually one of the things that made him one of the most promising guys in the league before he went to NY and it all went sideways

No range was overselling it but he took at most at quarter of his shots from outside 15 feet and was not being used as a stretch big. Dantoni uses the 5 as a pick and roll finisher and transition finisher, and if they can pick and pop too that's great but not necessary and only very rarely will they be asked to set up at the elbow and run a corner set or something. Pau's skillset is totally wasted and he's not good at the things D'Antoni wants.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

You were pretty close for all your 2nd round draft pick predictions, everybody but Taurean Prince

Henchman of Santa posted:

Kay is seriously a Nate Robinson clone. He has the exact same spring that lets him get space for open shots that Nate Rob had. Watch video of them side by side and the similarity is striking. Worth noting that he scored 33 pts in his d-league appearance and was immediately called back up. What's that unathletic short pg, Tyler Ulis, from UK doing, oh, nothing at all. NBA NV 1, professional scouts, zero

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I've been wondering how thibs is going to wrest the Feldman from us

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/stan-van-gundy-donald-trump-comments-quote-interview-pistons/1vmykg1o2z5ok1qhrbxbh35rvd

quote:

SN:  What is the responsibility of the person with privilege? 

SVG:  We have a great responsibility because, rightly or wrongly, we tend to be the people in power. Or people like us. People with advantages don’t tend to want to give them up. If you see it as a zero-sum game then it will never change. If only the people who are disadvantaged speak out, then it’s not enough. I don’t want to overshadow their voices, but I want to support. There’s a difference. It’s the people who are advantaged who need to see things as unfair. No movement in our history has ever worked with only the oppressed people fighting. That’s why the rollback of Affirmative Action and Voting Rights Acts is so flawed. I wish we lived in a world where we didn’t need to protections but we don’t. It’s up to them to tell us when things are even, and we aren’t close to being on an even playing field. I don’t see how anybody can look at our systems and see the world as equal. If you are, you’re lying to yourself.

SVG owns.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Abel Wingnut posted:

so i'm looking to get into the nba. is league pass the mlb.tv equivalent?

yep

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/tomhaberstroh/status/815598681936302080

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

THAT'S MY LIL BOY. He played very well in extended minutes the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-E6IyXROyg

AggressivelyStupid fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 1, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Dejan Bimble posted:

Isn't it funny that Bill Simmons made fun of Jay Bilas for saying "wingspan" a billion times over a decade,, but half of the best /surprise superstars in the NBA are big hands wingspan guys

It's just a sport where having long arms big hands and fluid hips is really helpful, there's no need to fight it

Wingspan is the NBA's on base percentage and the smart teams are just hitting sort descending on a spreadsheet of prospects and drafting the wingspanniest dudes.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

After the firestorm of drama all that caused, he's signing for the minimum for a year.

THANKS OBAMA

Dexo posted:

SVG owns.

SVG totally owns

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Why would Donatas sign for less with a significantly worse team?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Isn't it a shorter contract? With a front office that doesn't hate him (yet). And there's less expectations of being healthy if you play for the Pelicans

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Given that the Rockets rejected his physical, he may be at the point where insurance won't cover his contract and therefore nobody's willing to offer him something that they can't pay for out of the small change drawer. The only other team that was kinda interested was Utah but apparently that didn't materialize.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

He's a great guy. Too bad his team isn't good.

Also:

https://twitter.com/GilllianJordan/status/813911735618928640

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/grizzlam/status/815646247197507585

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Haha "I don't eat no meat, you know, I eat turkey meat, chicken meat, trying to figure out how to cook that"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DeimosRising posted:

Pau fit in great in D'Antoni's offense. See: the following season. D'antoni was just too stubborn to try and adapt until he had no choice.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Rick posted:

Pau fit in great in D'Antoni's offense. See: the following season. D'antoni was just too stubborn to try and adapt until he had no choice.

Yeah D'Antoni was really a dick to Pau as I recall it. It was a weird roster situation but he could've handled it better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCNUZnFcycQ

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Miami is basically sitting everyone tonight.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:lol: McLemore is now going to lose out on minutes in the rotation to Malachi Richardson

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Haha "I don't eat no meat, you know, I eat turkey meat, chicken meat, trying to figure out how to cook that"

Yeah same, y'know.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Reminder that the Portland Police Gang Enforcement Squad had a copy of that Cribs episode because of the people Z-Bo is hanging out with in it.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Oh hey finally some real trade rumormongering

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/815693410057129984

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Time to trade the loving farm Masai

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Millsap was my ideal PF for the Rockets but I don't wanna gently caress anything up now. Plus Ryno is growing on me, what with him talking poo poo to Carmelo and going off every 5th game

Dan D'Antoni is a cool dude

chunkles fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 2, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Millsap to the Raptors feels like a Rasheed Wallace to the Pistons type of move

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dejan Bimble posted:

They should honestly start listing Wingspan next to Height and Weight on player profiles. Especially when 'Height' is fudged all the time its become almost meaningless

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

They should honestly start listing Wingspan next to Height and Weight on player profiles
standing reach should replace height, there's literally no difference between a 6'8 player and a 7'0 player with the same standing reach except one is more likely to get tea bagged

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

chunkles posted:

Millsap was my ideal PF for the Rockets but I don't wanna gently caress anything up now. Plus Ryno is growing on me, what with him talking poo poo to Carmelo and going off every 5th game

Dan D'Antoni is a cool dude

Someone needs to show these numbers to Barkley, so he can do his patented chuckle and say that jump shooting teams should join the WNBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Charles Barkley, French Minister of Defense in the 1930s: oh hell no dude tanks are lame, we need to build a bunch of forts instead. But not on the Belgian border.

• Locked thread