Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Part 2 is my favorite part, just straight up adventure with a great lead. Part 1 is better if you don't take it seriously, it's all really campy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

wielder posted:

I thought that sequence was fairly impressive. Yamato 2199's cast really does tend to get better as time goes on and all the key players actually start interacting with each other. The remake does a wonderful job of combining good overall execution with improved cast dynamics and increased political stakes too. It's a shame that there was no full legal release of the series in the U.S. though. I am hoping that changes with the upcoming sequel.

They're making a sequel to it? My night just got better. Will it feature the USS Arizona?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the arizona won't appear for a while, if it ever does. they did have an arizona class in the first scene of 2199 though iirc(and they got wrecked). they have however, shown the andromeda

as seen next to the yamato here

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

sameoldsong posted:

Not sure if this is exactly the right thread for this, but I just finished and really enjoyed Darker Than Black season 1 and was curious what people think about whether the OVAs and/or season 2 are worth watching. I know season 2 has a bad reputation, but sometimes these things get overstated (I enjoyed Code Geass R2, for example).

I enjoyed DTB's second season, personally. It's different from the first, but I remember finding it compelling.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
dtb s2 is basically like one of dtb s1's miniarcs expanded into a full season, but with far too much extraneous space and piss poor conclusion

but thats a symptom of s1 as well

also jojo pt2 loving owns

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
so far pt2 and pt4 of jojo have been my favorites

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is only JoJo s1 dubbed?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Is only JoJo s1 dubbed?

There was a test run of part 3 shown off shortly after it started, but as of right now I think so.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I just finished Jojo Part 4 and I liked it for the most part. Really I'm just looking for something with good energetic likeable characters in an action/adventure setting.

Stuff I've liked a lot so far:

Jojo - Primarily part 2 (I liked all of it, but 2 was the best). I did like how innovative some of the stands were in 3/4 and curmudgeonly, racist grandpa joseph rules, but it doesn't get much better than a wisecracking jerkass fighting god. Jojo can be pretty bleak and violent but overall it's zany enough that the overall tone is light, which is what I'm looking for.
Black Lagoon: It's basically just a dumb action movie. I wish the main character went through more growth over the series, but he started as a shinji type character so what can you do.
TTGL - Hot blooded robot punching at its finest, though I could have done without the fanservice
FLCL - Liked it, but it was a bit too "random" for me. I guess I don't "get" it. or I'm thinking too hard about it.
Kill La Kill - More for the supporting cast than anything else. I don't really care about seeing boobs and butts. The Zeni guy and Gamagoori ruled.
Panty and Stocking - I don't even know if this even really counts as anime, but it owned, the soundtrack was incredible, and there was actually very little fanservice despite the entire show being about sex and indulgence.
Dirty Pair Project Eden: Like half the animated shots in this are just generic computer/machine/science bullshit and I love it. Explosions, no plot, cool scientist bad guy, insanely good 80s music. A+
Haven't you Heard? I'm Sakamoto - I actually watched all of this. I normally don't like high school settings or gag anime, but this did everything just right.
Mobile Fighter G Gundam: I don't want a bunch of whiny 14 year old kids and nonsensical plot/religious imagery getting in the way of my silly robot punching.
Tonkatsu DJ - No explanation needed

That's a lot of :words: to say I just want something weird but energetic like Food Wars! without the fanservice and less highschooly. I want a character who is already cool and his or her character arc is to become cooler, not to turn from a wimp to a badass.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ring ni Kakero

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Cory in the Blouse posted:

I just finished Jojo Part 4 and I liked it for the most part. Really I'm just looking for something with good energetic likeable characters in an action/adventure setting.

Jojo - Primarily part 2 (I liked all of it, but 2 was the best). I did like how innovative some of the stands were in 3/4 and curmudgeonly, racist grandpa joseph rules, but it doesn't get much better than a wisecracking jerkass fighting god. Jojo can be pretty bleak and violent but overall it's zany enough that the overall tone is light, which is what I'm looking for.
Black Lagoon: It's basically just a dumb action movie. I wish the main character went through more growth over the series, but he started as a shinji type character so what can you do.
TTGL - Hot blooded robot punching at its finest, though I could have done without the fanservice
FLCL - Liked it, but it was a bit too "random" for me. I guess I don't "get" it. or I'm thinking too hard about it.
Kill La Kill - More for the supporting cast than anything else. I don't really care about seeing boobs and butts. The Zeni guy and Gamagoori ruled.
Panty and Stocking - I don't even know if this even really counts as anime, but it owned, the soundtrack was incredible, and there was actually very little fanservice despite the entire show being about sex and indulgence.
Dirty Pair Project Eden: Like half the animated shots in this are just generic computer/machine/science bullshit and I love it. Explosions, no plot, cool scientist bad guy, insanely good 80s music. A+
Haven't you Heard? I'm Sakamoto - I actually watched all of this. I normally don't like high school settings or gag anime, but this did everything just right.
Mobile Fighter G Gundam: I don't want a bunch of whiny 14 year old kids and nonsensical plot/religious imagery getting in the way of my silly robot punching.

That's a lot of :words: to say I just want something weird but energetic like Food Wars! without the fanservice and less highschooly. I want a character who is already cool and his or her character arc is to become cooler, not to turn from a wimp to a badass.

I recommend trying out Baccano, Hellsing Ultimate, Cowboy Bebop, and One Piece

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
HUNTER X HUNTER. It gets pretty dark but it's got great adventure feels.

And if you want Food Wars! but better try Yakitate!! Japan

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd recommend re:cutie honey with the caveat that it's an ova, three episodes long with each being 40 minutes and it's more fanservicey than panty & stocking or kill la kill, but at the same time the fanservice is actually a lot more inoffensive than kill la kill, though it slows down a bit in the third episode and parts of the second. it's made by mostly the same staff as both shows and it's a very high-energy action show about an adult magical girl who's pretty competent at what she does from the start, who ends up fighting alongside a loud mouth loose canon cop lady who shoots at things with giant guns

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
OK thanks I'll check those out. Re: Cutie Honey actually sounds pretty good. Honestly any Bechdel test passing leading lady action anime would be good, I feel like I'm kinda dude saturated after watching jojo.

I probably should have given more examples of things people usually recommend but I didn't like. A good example of that would be Attack on Titan. Great setting, cool monsters, way too much inner monologue that came off as lazy writing instead of actually having characters talk to each other or do cool stuff.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i think literally every anime with women except (?) jojo passes that test

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

as for a show... gits:stand alone complex maybe

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

You should check out Patlabor.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Droyer posted:

You should check out Patlabor.

Yeah seconding this.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Giant Robo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

OK thanks I'll check those out. Re: Cutie Honey actually sounds pretty good. Honestly any Bechdel test passing leading lady action anime would be good, I feel like I'm kinda dude saturated after watching jojo.

You liked Black Lagoon, right? Watch Jormungand.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I finally watched Mawaru Penguindrum on a couple of old recommendations in this thread and good lord is that a hard turn into misery at the halfway mark :suspense:. Can we get a suicide check on the writers or something, maybe some arrange some time with a therapist? Because goddrat does every single innocent little question raised in the first cour have the most horrifyingly bleak answer possible without fail :stare:.

I'm also fairly certain the only way I'll ever get Rock Over Japan out of my head is with a power drill.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

In my bi-monthly attempt at going through the entirety of Hulu's anime library, (based on just looking at the show's cover image and like a minute of show before I ADD-ishly change to something else) I find two shows that are pretty addictive. They also suffer from the same flaw, too much anime perv poo poo, but managed to claw their past it due other factors.

Kill La Kill

Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?*

The first by its humor, awareness, and overall hyperbolic sendup of the high school experience, taken to its most extreme logical conclusion. The second by being sweet, and its theme, plot, and characterization hinging explicitly on character development.

EDIT: *I think I might have a soft spot for intelligently written dungeon and dragons anime, based on this and Grimgar.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 7, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

:mrgw:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
watch gurren lagann, it's pretty much the same thing as kill la kill made by the same people except its story has more of a point and it doesn't get awful in the second half

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

?

The Colonel posted:

watch gurren lagann, it's pretty much the same thing as kill la kill made by the same people except its story has more of a point and it doesn't get awful in the second half

Well that's disappointing. I might give it a shot, but I really, really didn't like it when I first tried it. It was so....cliche.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The broad strokes of GL aren't particularly surprising, but its execution is nearly flawless. It looks great, it sounds great, and it always makes me want to scream like Nobuyuki Hiyama so as to let out any excess manly spirit, no matter how many times I watch it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i love viral's linkin park theme song

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The broad strokes of GL aren't particularly surprising, but its execution is nearly flawless. It looks great, it sounds great, and it always makes me want to scream like Nobuyuki Hiyama so as to let out any excess manly spirit, no matter how many times I watch it.

That's the thing, it's a really good execution of a really worn topic. If you like campy power-of-friendship MY WILL IS THE MOST WILLFULL action fighting then you'll love it. But if it doesn't hook you from the start there's no reason to keep going.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You can also enjoy it as a competent super robot show, or just as someone who likes fun things

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Yeah I guess if you're just looking for a show with big robots that fight it's pretty good at that too.

The robots get pretty drat big.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's really nobody who does bigger robots than Gurren Lagann

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

i liked the second half of kill la kill

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh i mostly think the second half of kill la kill is inoffensive but the scenes with ragyo that open it, are trash, and will probably push shagelectic out of watching it if the fanservice bugs him that much already

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If he doesn't cut out before the butt slap, someone post the timeline

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I didn't really get into Gurren Lagann until the removal of a certain element from the story about 8 episodes in. Also the back half is loving awesome.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

If he doesn't cut out before the butt slap, someone post the timeline

13:30 - far shot of satsuki hanging in the cage
13:34 - shot of satsuki’s feet, ragged and hanging, Ragyo laughing. Panning up to Satsuki’s face until 13:43, without pausing to stare at her boobs like so many other animes
13:43 - close-up of Satsuki’s face (look of rage at 13:53)
13:54 - Looking at Ragyo talking to Satsuki
13:58 - medium-far shot of Satsuki, her body is darkened rather than well-lit. Ragyo gloating
14:11 - beginning of bad touch scene. The lighting of Ragyo is bright, the lighting on Satsuki is dark, guiding the eye to Ragyo, not Satsuki.
14:21 - Four second butt shot
14:25 - Close-up of a look of rage on Satsuki’s face
14:29 - Close-up of Ragyo’s face. Gloating.
14:36 - shot panning downwards from above Satuki’s face to her face. Seven seconds. No cleavage.
14:43 to 15:39 - Backstory.
15:40 - Far panning shot of cage.
15:56 - Butt slap.
15:57 - Shot of Ragyo and Satsuki’s face. This time, the lighting is on Satsuki.
16:03 - Closeup of Satsuki’s face into a close-up of Ragyo’s face. Still enraged / still gloating
16:09 - Shot of Satsuki’s legs from halfway down her thighs and panning downwards.
16:17 - Backwards shot of a bad touch sweeping down from Satsuki’s chest down to her behind.
16:28 - From Satsuki’s face into Ragyo’s face.
16:36 - Butt slap.
16:37 - Far shot of cage. Dark. More butt slaps and Ragyo emphasizing how much she wants Satsuki to hate her.
16:40 - Close up of faces. Butt slaps continue.
16:44 - Satsuki’s face, still mad. Still slapping. Maniacal laughter from Ragyo.
16:51 - End of the scene.

Let's recap -
lots of exposition
no lingering on boobs
lighting that deliberately de-emphasized Satsuki's body
lots of focus on the faces
fostering Satsuki's anger made a part of the conversation deliberately

If you think they spent a bunch of time on Satsuki's body you were paying attention to the wrong loving thing and you're using disgust to justify voyeurism. The scene wasn't fanservice. God drat.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

ah, this again

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
An ADTRW classic

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

once again, namtab has nothing but correct opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU