Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I started to learn Hearts of Iron IV last night in a game where I started as Italy and my 2 friends started as the German Reich and Japan. We stopped right as 1940 started and I own half of Africa, Southern France and the west half of China and despite the world tension being at 100% since we conquered France a World War has yet to begin. I guess I'm into map games now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I still havent even launched a game in HOI4 despite buying it on launch day.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

I still havent even launched a game in HOI4 despite buying it on launch day.

lets MP

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i've played exactly one HOI4 mp game and it was a lot of fun. so, i'd recommend it.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
HOI4 mp is very fun

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

i've played exactly one HOI4 mp game and it was a lot of fun. so, i'd recommend it.

Average Bear posted:

HOI4 mp is very fun

Id be down. Ill just try to learn on the fly. When would people be around? Our EU4 games were a lot of fun

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I can be on pretty much all week.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Welcome to italian asia. my friends were upset when I took half of china for no reason but look at me now

I need to get iran and iraq involved in this war so I can have the biggest name in the world.

My goal is to have a piece of Italy in every continent. 3 down, 3 to go and the other 3 are involved in the current world war so it's only a matter of time.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

welcome to map games

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's great to be here.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Evil Eagle posted:

I need to get iran and iraq involved in this war so I can have the biggest name in the world.

he gets it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Average Bear posted:

I can be on pretty much all week.

Let's shake.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

First you want the biggest name, but after 500 hours youll understand the real reward is a nice clean border.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when you finally get that nice burgundy border :discourse:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

First you want the biggest name, but after 500 hours youll understand the real reward is a nice clean border.

the cleanest border is no border

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You have not experienced pure bliss till you make your name stretch across the Mediterranean. Think it only does that in EU4 tho

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm off Wednesday and Thursday and he'll, I'd love to play HoI 4 MP. The AI in this game is a joke because it's bad at making divisions and also it's kind of retarded and loves to shuffle troops around needlessly

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alright I ran through the tutorial and got the gist of it. I think I'll play my first game as Spain and see what hapoens

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How long does it take for a division to prepare a war plan? Haven't found a ticker for it anywhere

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

How long does it take for a division to prepare a war plan? Haven't found a ticker for it anywhere

There's a light purplish? Bar on the left side next to the division's experience that slowly ticks up. With no doctrines or national spirits modifying it, it builds up 2% a day to a 50% attack bonus that fades completely within moving about 4-5 provinces. Units that are in combat or exercising or moving don't build up planning so it's hard to use past the opening days of the war unless you have Mobile Warfare to a high level

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

There's a light purplish? Bar on the left side next to the division's experience that slowly ticks up. With no doctrines or national spirits modifying it, it builds up 2% a day to a 50% attack bonus that fades completely within moving about 4-5 provinces. Units that are in combat or exercising or moving don't build up planning so it's hard to use past the opening days of the war unless you have Mobile Warfare to a high level

Ah that's what it was, all the people planning were in defensive skirmishes so it never budged. I started as Japan and immediately declared war on the insectlike Chinese aggressors.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Seems like if you played this at max speed you could do a whole game in a handful of hours which is cool.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Ah that's what it was, all the people planning were in defensive skirmishes so it never budged. I started as Japan and immediately declared war on the insectlike Chinese aggressors.

You've been talking to BBG too much

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And yeah. I've still never reached a peace conference once all the majors join in but you can effectively win the war in like 4 hours at max speed the whole time

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

This.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
roleplaying ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Now that I've got my sea legs I'm down for a MP game whenever, I'm around pretty much any evening this week except Wednesday.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'd be up for a game but I am terrible and just lost to the ai a minute ago.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I tried staying Democratic as France in SP but holy hell is it hard. Unless you want to cripple your industry (bad tradeoff), before 1939 you really can't get rid of the Victors of the Great War national spirit that cripples your political power. Even turtling with all infantry brigades and heavily fortified borders, you're out of manpower inside a year and relying on the USA to bail you out, and they take their sweet time joining the war. I've never made it to the end of 1943 without capitulating.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd be up for a MP of HOI4 but 1) my PC tends to crash while playing it (mostly I think due to hardware and not the game itself) and 2) I'm in UTC+9 so the hours suck donkey balls to do something like a MP game with most people :(

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Beating the historical odds in HoI4 is a win for this gamer, especially if you play France or Republican Spain or Poland or something

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How interesting are the non major powers?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also it's kinda weird to get used to HOI compared to CK2 and EU4 where you have a rise and fall of conflict and sabotage/building to more conflict and peacetime recuperation. But in HOI the peaks and valleys are war and More War

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

spain is ok because you get to do the revolution and all, but otherwise they're pretty boring cause most don't have many events

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

99% of them dont have events or focus trees so it can be fun to do stuff like attack Germany and attrition their entire manpower pool away as Switzerland, but for most of them it's really boring. Also for some reason only the majors have any significant resources except for the Middle East and Romania having a bunch of oil

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Germany invited all of the axis except me (Romania) to their Soviet war. Is this a bug or do they just not want me?

I've spent the last few months desperately trying to hold Italy from the UK but it isn't going well. Especially because I had the army I was trying to use tied to a different front line order for a while and I didn't figure out why all my divisions kept walking back to the Soviet border every time I stopped looking at them until the UK had already taken Rome.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Bug: Where are my friends?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I (Japan) was the first person invited to join the Reich because my fascism unity and nationalism was insanely high after clowning on China

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

I (Japan) was the first person invited to join the Reich because my fascism unity and nationalism was insanely high after clowning on China

I asked to join the axis way earlier...they just don't want me fighting the soviet union I guess. It's time to declare my own war on the soviets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Eagle posted:

Germany invited all of the axis except me (Romania) to their Soviet war. Is this a bug or do they just not want me?

Did you cheat on Adolf with a hot young fascist?