Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Darth Windu posted:

They just need more abilities like poppy W to even things out

This, but Sion's old stun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

your friend a dog posted:

Is Quasus actually good if you're under plat? Every time I've played it I've become an unstoppable split pusher that promptly becomes ganked by three people while my team mills around mid lane doing nothing while you're drawing all the pressure top.

if you do split pushing especially in lower elos you need to have good wards up and be constantly checking the map to see who's missing. knowing when to abort and force people to address your pressure without even having to fight is really important.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

I tried out Malzahar support on this thread's reccomendation.

Trip report:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OXr8AvqF_c
It's good.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
If I was that Lee I'd be so embarrassed

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

What is the point of promo series vs allowing players to move up through division/rank by LP gained/loss? Is it just simply a way to slow progress?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

like every thing else about the league rank system: its real dumb

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thinking about trying a gimmick for a few weeks where i willingly adc and try not to die and be really nice to my support

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Addamere posted:

thinking about trying a gimmick for a few weeks where i willingly adc and try not to die and be really nice to my support

Ughh... trying to stay nice as an ADC in this meta... I hope you're the loving Buddha.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i only adc while i am really high now so it makes it very chill and easy to stay in a good mood. also my winrate is 100% so far while doing it, lcs here i come

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Addamere posted:

What name will you use

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rabidsquid posted:

i only adc while i am really high now so it makes it very chill and easy to stay in a good mood. also my winrate is 100% so far while doing it, lcs here i come

It's easy as hell to not be a toxic rear end in a top hat by just not typing angry words at people, but goddamn is it demoralizing to lose three games in a row when all you want is your first win of the day. This is why I will always be bronze - I'll never sit down and actually grind out a fuckton of games every day, because even if I otherwise wanted to devote the time to it as soon as I hit a streak like that I just don't want to play anymore.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think its easier to fall into the pit of endless despair while adcing than it is to be toxic, but the pit of endless despair isnt super conducive to winning either

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rabidsquid posted:

i think its easier to fall into the pit of endless despair while adcing than it is to be toxic, but the pit of endless despair isnt super conducive to winning either

idk man look at literally any vayne player ever, being a toxic rear end in a top hat seems to come pretty easy to adc mains

Orv
May 4, 2011
"Oh look, a Yasuo main who is a giant pissbaby" is a pretty common refrain amongst our group. Vayne also occasionally falls in there.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the real actual common link is "players who believe they specifically need to carry to win the game"

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rabidsquid posted:

the real actual common link is "players who believe they specifically need to carry to win the game"

That is pretty much any player who has paid attention to like any of the guides out there that tell you how to get better. Almost every guide says you need to play to carry your team, to include the much-acclaimed UNSW lolsoc videos.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I have learned the harsh lesson that even when you do carry your team (or at least die the least) it doesn't always work out. So now I try to care as little as possible, which mostly works out.

The actual answer though is probably stop trying to do ranked for a month or two, because goddamn some of these people make bricks look intelligent.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The Ziggs V Yasuo Bot Meta.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Addamere posted:

That is pretty much any player who has paid attention to like any of the guides out there that tell you how to get better. Almost every guide says you need to play to carry your team, to include the much-acclaimed UNSW lolsoc videos.
Nah, anyone that exerts effort to actually get better has a much different attitude than the vayne main

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
TBF you are the only common factor in all your solo ranked games, so by extension your ranking is most affected by your personal skill and impact in a match. That's why [IMO] Solo ranked is more a measure of how well someone can carry, rather than how well they play the game. It's also why Duo is so good for climbing; you add in an "unfair" variable where more often than not your team will have at least two players cooperating at a level beyond solo queuing.

The issue with a VayneMayne (tm) is that they interpret carrying as mlg trickshot videos, instead of "gets their team to act like adults, leads plays and contests so that they dont lose momentum"

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I prefer to just use my skills and auto attacks to kill the other team I call it killcarrrying

Orv
May 4, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

TBF you are the only common factor in all your solo ranked games, so by extension your ranking is most affected by your personal skill and impact in a match. That's why [IMO] Solo ranked is more a measure of how well someone can carry, rather than how well they play the game. It's also why Duo is so good for climbing; you add in an "unfair" variable where more often than not your team will have at least two players cooperating at a level beyond solo queuing.

The issue with a VayneMayne (tm) is that they interpret carrying as mlg trickshot videos, instead of "gets their team to act like adults, leads plays and contests so that they dont lose momentum"

Now explain an eight loss streak where my duo partner and I were 2:1 at minimum every game but one, and our three teammates were anywhere from 1:2 to 0:3 in every single game but one, in which our entire team was garbage. Explain that, I loving dare you.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Orv posted:

Now explain an eight loss streak where my duo partner and I were 2:1 at minimum every game but one, and our three teammates were anywhere from 1:2 to 0:3 in every single game but one, in which our entire team was garbage. Explain that, I loving dare you.

Shoulda pressed your early advantage harder? vOv sometines you just get bad luck

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's bad luck and then there's proof of a hateful universe. I don't think my partner and I are much better than high silver/low gold, given the people we get put against and can handle about 50/50, in normals. But this climb out of bronze is a screaming, wailing assault against a brick wall sometimes. A brick wall that hates.

For content that isn't bitching about ranked, lest I become that guy, anyone have thoughts on Evelynn AD vs AP?

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 2, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Orv posted:

There are certainly some games you can't carry as an ahead duo but it's certainly not gonna be 8 games in a row unless you and your friend consistently make bad plays with the leads you do have. I haven't watched your games so I dunno where you're going wrong but I'd guess you guys are either a: trying to play hero in losing lanes rather than just reinforcing your winning ones, more often than not this just feeds the people already snowballing, or b: getting consistently caught out in the neutral game after laning phase is mostly over. Those are basically the two mistakes i see people going "ugh I got ahead but my team was so bad" consistently make. If you're 8/1 and die for no reason while the rest of your team is behind it's easy to be mad at your team not being able to back you up but that death was still on you.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

I'd guess you guys are either a: trying to play hero in losing lanes rather than just reinforcing your winning ones,
Excuse me, they're champions

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Another thing I see a lot is playing a lane bully vs a roaming, teamfighting, or hyperscaling champion and being mad at team because they somehow lost the game. Like being syndra and ~winning lane~ vs fizz or katarina that dives your bot tower as you're autoing the full-hp mid tower.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I won my 1v0 why is my teaming losing so hard to a 5v4????

Orv
May 4, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

There are certainly some games you can't carry as an ahead duo but it's certainly not gonna be 8 games in a row unless you and your friend consistently make bad plays with the leads you do have. I haven't watched your games so I dunno where you're going wrong but I'd guess you guys are either a: trying to play hero in losing lanes rather than just reinforcing your winning ones, more often than not this just feeds the people already snowballing, or b: getting consistently caught out in the neutral game after laning phase is mostly over. Those are basically the two mistakes i see people going "ugh I got ahead but my team was so bad" consistently make. If you're 8/1 and die for no reason while the rest of your team is behind it's easy to be mad at your team not being able to back you up but that death was still on you.

We definitely need to get better at rotating into other lanes when it's going well. That's part of our issue though. We've been playing MOBAs for enough hours that we really should be better than we are, but we know at least positioning and (typically) when to take fights and when not to. That loss streak in particular had a series of teammates who I could swear hadn't played a game in their life, but I'll look over the couple replays I saved and see where we're going wrong. If I had to guess from our other games we're probably overextending without vision and occasionally taking fights that we can win, but only after a long fight that'll allow rotates. Those our are big two issues we need to get better on, along with just continually improving our mechanics. We weren't ahead so much in those games as just keeping alive and occasionally getting picks, and we probably could stand to have been more aggressive and take a leading role to try and get team fights going.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I've been duoing more or less exclusively as ADC/Support and we're just starting to break even in our games. Honestly if you're sufficiently smashing your lane and drawing fire and still surviving you're doing fine, but there's plenty of games where the other roles poo poo the bed pretty fiercely. We're still in the red with a sub 50% winrate, but climbing anyways. In general though the biggest things to work on are figuring out when you're going too hard or too pushed up and end up being blind to a gank.

Honestly the best thing is actively communicating what the hell you're seeing and calling it out. There's like way too many times that I'll be in voice coms as a five stack or even the duo queue and just ping instead of saying something. We're not all looking at the same poo poo, and I know I blank out on pings nine times out of ten.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Imo it's a bit more effective to have staggered lanes if you're duoing. Sure it's nice to guarantee that the bot lane has nice communication but the amount of influence you have on the game is a lot less than if you were split up. It also means you have nothing to fall back on if you do lose lane because then you're both behind.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
new poro king is too snowbally

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

Imo it's a bit more effective to have staggered lanes if you're duoing. Sure it's nice to guarantee that the bot lane has nice communication but the amount of influence you have on the game is a lot less than if you were split up. It also means you have nothing to fall back on if you do lose lane because then you're both behind.

I was more in reference to your actual duo partner in botlane more than calling out stuff on the map, actually actively watching what is going on on the minimap. As for staggering lanes it really depends. I'm always trying to get the first blood on towers. Unless one of your lanes is winning and has a lot of damage in on the tower, taking their botlane tower as fast as possible after say, a successful jungle gank is the best way to go. Frees up the support to go anywhere else and lets the ADC continue to farm while being able to back to the tower.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Jungle has been my best found method at rising through the ranks. Is it just that there's so much more money in it now that they dropped the smite buffs?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Servaetes posted:

I was more in reference to your actual duo partner in botlane more than calling out stuff on the map, actually actively watching what is going on on the minimap. As for staggering lanes it really depends. I'm always trying to get the first blood on towers. Unless one of your lanes is winning and has a lot of damage in on the tower, taking their botlane tower as fast as possible after say, a successful jungle gank is the best way to go. Frees up the support to go anywhere else and lets the ADC continue to farm while being able to back to the tower.

Yeah but now you're relying on a third person to make that happen, if one of you were adc/supp and the other were mid/jungle (or even top with tp), you could consistently force that if you wanted to.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

thats a good troll, if you have a solo queue support you can't actually do anything

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah but now you're relying on a third person to make that happen, if one of you were adc/supp and the other were mid/jungle (or even top with tp), you could consistently force that if you wanted to.

Of course yeah, putting all your eggs in one basket is a big gamble and the hopeful payoff is an extremely fed ADC and a support that has warped other lanes around in favor of their team. I was more responding to give some positive advice for Orv who sounds like he's duoing ADC/Support respectively. I personally waive a lot between ADC and jungle and my duo partner supports pretty much most of the time.

If I personally wanted to be absolutely optimal I'd jungle more than ADC, but I'm admittedly spoiled from playing with friends that make ganks very readily available and are responsive that I don't enjoy it as much. After playing so long for all these years I think I'd get an aneurysm if I had another worthless toplane sack of poo poo shoved all the way under his tower with two creep waves and sitting at 25% mana and 30% health screech TOP IS GANKABLE and his opponent is at full health before I've even cleared my second loving buff. Or midlaners with CC that react like a solid 5-10 seconds after I pop up. Or the lack of responses to invades. Could go on about it forever but my patience for jungle is pretty short when I've seen drat near every permutation of the frustrating poo poo the role encompasses

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 2, 2017

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
The coolest part about support/ADC duo is that the support can communicate when they're roaming and dictate rotations so the ADC can focus on CS without dying. It's basically exporting all of the brainpower of the roles to the support. It means that the support can go for invades with the jungler or gank without your Vayne trying to harass under their tower 1v2 at the same time.

A bad duo botlane is easy to spot because they'll have some playmaking support like Thresh that never travels more than 200 units from their totally self-sufficient Caitlyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Support/jungler is the most fun duo though, you're completely in charge of objectives, vision control, dives, and map play

• Locked thread