Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Looks like Iron Hands to me

Doesn't everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Everything looks the same when they have been hit by a Typhon.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to run a 20-man Imperial Fists tactical squad with extra CCWs, a nuncio-vox, a blinged apothecary and a chaplain consul to hunker down on important terrain and beam in deep striking terminators and phalanx warders from a Hammerfall Strikeforce. is there something obviously better i could use those points on to bring in the deep strikers cleanly and hold ground? they'd be supported by a lascannon heavy support squad

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

zeal posted:

I want to run a 20-man Imperial Fists tactical squad with extra CCWs, a nuncio-vox, a blinged apothecary and a chaplain consul to hunker down on important terrain and beam in deep striking terminators and phalanx warders from a Hammerfall Strikeforce. is there something obviously better i could use those points on to bring in the deep strikers cleanly and hold ground? they'd be supported by a lascannon heavy support squad

I run 20 man tacticals with ccw + apothecary in my fists lists. It's fun when you pull it off but there is a lot of AP3 out there.

Consider bringing in plasma support squads when playing hammerfall. They're pretty antisocial.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

TTerrible posted:

Consider bringing in plasma support squads when playing hammerfall. They're pretty antisocial.

ahhh i can do one of those for the same points I would've spent on a multimelta contemptor i'd have to start in non-deep strike reserve anyway. five+ optionally non-scattering deep strike plasmas will own

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Got to play my 30k Death Guard again! This game was against my friend's Harlequin list, and I absolutely demolished that band of entertainers. Anything that tried to advance on me was met with withering autocannon fire and shredding missile launchers (thank you, World Burner trait). Going to celebrate while I can, since I am almost certain he's going to bring his Tau next time. Thinking it might be time to pick up a Rapier Quad Mortar...

For extra hilarity get three thudd rapiers and convert yourself a Siege Breaker, if you haven't already. Also get yourself like fifty small blast templates because by turn 3, a whole half of the map is going to be on fire.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I got to experience quad mortars for the first time on Thursday. It was a lot of fun watching my opponent roll 16 templates on my veterans.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I am now tempted to become That Guy and get myself some Medusae. I think I prefer the Solar Auxilia model over the Legion model - the SA model is slightly cheaper, closed-topped, and actually comes with the bits to make it either a Basilisk or a Medusa.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
Legion Medusa looks better.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Do people consider Medusas (medusae?) as powerful guns. I am considering a battery or two (?three) for my cult militia as they would assist with both blowing the poo poo out of armoured mooks and also do some tankbusting given the lack of good anti armour options. I like the idea of a pile of squishy humans pulling the guns into position and then charging whilst Astartes flee for cover...

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

zeal posted:

ahhh i can do one of those for the same points I would've spent on a multimelta contemptor i'd have to start in non-deep strike reserve anyway. five+ optionally non-scattering deep strike plasmas will own

You've also got the blinding/shrouded stuff going on with hammerfall.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

JackMack posted:

Do people consider Medusas (medusae?) as powerful guns.

Absolutely.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Medusas are awesome and Perturabo's 2nd gift to humanity.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I was thinking more about Terminators and I feel the only trap choice are the double lightning claws. You pay 15 points to get +1 attack and shred. If you upgrade two terminators this way, you've spent 30 points for +2 attacks when you could just buy another terminator for the exact same cost (which comes with 2 base attacks). Giving those 3 terminators a single claw costs 15 points more, but you get the same volume of attacks and an extra body. Single claw or single fist with a few combi weapons is probably the way to go I'd say. The autocannon is an interesting choice since it lets you shoot at rhinos and kill thallax at range, otherwise the blaster is probably a better option.

zeal posted:

If you want a good objective camper you might consider beachers instead. When it comes to getting killed slowly, they are pretty good at it. You won't have the extra attacks in close combat, but you will have a 5++ and defensive grenades. Also you can basically ignore thudd gun spam. They are a bit overpriced though. Another option is the Damocles command rhino. It will die easy, but it creates a 24" bubble of non-scatter deep striking and also buffs your reserve rolls.

JackMack posted:

Do people consider Medusas (medusae?) as powerful guns. I am considering a battery or two (?three) for my cult militia as they would assist with both blowing the poo poo out of armoured mooks and also do some tankbusting given the lack of good anti armour options. I like the idea of a pile of squishy humans pulling the guns into position and then charging whilst Astartes flee for cover...

The militia Medusas are even better because they are artillery pieces and not vehicles.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Drake_263 posted:

For extra hilarity get three thudd rapiers and convert yourself a Siege Breaker, if you haven't already. Also get yourself like fifty small blast templates because by turn 3, a whole half of the map is going to be on fire.

I'm going to start with just one, but I do look forward to running The Reaping and watching my Death Guard walk through fire unharmed. Incidentally, what does a Siege Breaker typically look like?

I'm converting a Master of Signals using a Mk III Marine and some Skitarii bits. Also a rebreather head, because anyone without a helmet in my Death Guard force will have one.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I have about 40 tacticals and cataphractii (shooty) for my 1k sons, but no idea where to go next. I've been waiting for he book but with so little info and the release being pushed back so often maybe I should expand a bit? Where would I go that would be "safe" choices to flesh this out to a somewhat playable force in the meantime?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

I have about 40 tacticals and cataphractii (shooty) for my 1k sons, but no idea where to go next. I've been waiting for he book but with so little info and the release being pushed back so often maybe I should expand a bit? Where would I go that would be "safe" choices to flesh this out to a somewhat playable force in the meantime?

February 4th. Patience is a virtue.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

February 4th. Patience is a virtue.

Why have you been doing in the meantime?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
If you absolutely have to have things before then you can't really go wrong with rhinos.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
How much of a trap choice are the Ultramarines breachers with swords? The models look great but I have the gut feeling they won't do much.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

Why have you been doing in the meantime?

Trying to keep the sweating down as I look at how restrictive and ultra specific the DA and WS rules are and praying to Alan Bligh that the TS won't be quite so crazy in that regard.

At this point there's really, really no reason not to wait just that extra month. Personally I've been accumulating bits and prepping various models (20 tacticals, 20 vets, a couple of HQ ideas), but not committing to anything till the rules are out.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Medusae are horrendous as they can reliably glance/pen av14 as well as being anti infantry

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, it's basically a Vindicator shot with more (36") range and on a more fragile (Chimera-equivalent) chassis. What makes the Legion version particularly nasty is that you can unlock phosphex shells for it besides the usual ammunition types by including a 'Siege Breaker' consul secondary HQ.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

I'm going to start with just one, but I do look forward to running The Reaping and watching my Death Guard walk through fire unharmed. Incidentally, what does a Siege Breaker typically look like?

I'm converting a Master of Signals using a Mk III Marine and some Skitarii bits. Also a rebreather head, because anyone without a helmet in my Death Guard force will have one.

That looks like a very solid start. They have a nuncio-vox and a Cognis Signum so generally you'll want something that looks like a bigass augmented commiunication unit, antennas, sensors, the like; I made mine out of one of those Masters of the Chapter models and just grafted a CHimera command commset on top of a MKIV power pack:

Apologies for the potato quality, this was before I had an actual lightbox.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

Yeah, it's basically a Vindicator shot with more (36") range and on a more fragile (Chimera-equivalent) chassis. What makes the Legion version particularly nasty is that you can unlock phosphex shells for it besides the usual ammunition types by including a 'Siege Breaker' consul secondary HQ.

Be careful with the phosphex, it's mutually exclusive with the standard shot (unlike the quad mortar). Then there's the question if it's worth it, since the medusa gun is already S10 AP2 and will paste whatever it touches, while the phosphex gimps you vs armor.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
In the spirit of BULBASAURs terminator post, I want to try out this list at some point:

+++ 1850 PotL (1830pts) +++

+ HQ (275pts) +

Legion Centurion (105pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts), Calibanite War Blade (10pts)]
I: Dark Angels, Legiones Astartes
May be upgraded to one of these Consul roles: (35pts) [Chaplain (35pts)]

Legion Praetor (170pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon (35pts), Digital Lasers (15pts), Paragon Blade (20pts)]
Master of the Legion, Pride of the Legion

+ Troops (920pts) +

Legion Terminator Squad (217pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist (10pts), Combi-Weapon (7pts), Legion Terminator Sergeant, 4x Legion Terminators (120pts), Pair of Lightning Claws (15pts), 2x Power Fist (10pts)]

Legion Terminator Squad (435pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Chainfist (20pts), Legion Land Raider Phobos (225pts), Legion Terminator Sergeant, 4x Legion Terminators (120pts), 3x Power Fist (15pts)]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (268pts) [2x Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web and Molecular Acid Shells (50pts), 8x Legion Veteran Space Marines (96pts), Marksmen]
Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier (50pts) [Multi-melta (15pts)]
Legion Veteran Sergeant (20pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts), Calibanite War Blade (10pts)]

+ Fast Attack (330pts) +

Legion Javelin Attack Speeder (75pts) [2x Hunter-killer Missiles (10pts), Multi-melta (10pts)]

Legion Jetbike Sky Hunter Squadron (255pts) [Melta Bombs (25pts), Molecular Acid Shells (25pts), 5x Space Marine Sky Hunters (175pts)]

+ Heavy Support (305pts) +

Legion Caestus Assault Ram (305pts)

That's three scoring infantry squads, one in a rhino, one in a Caestus and one in a LR. The Caestus holds the squad with claws, the praetor and the chaplain- with a stasis grenade on the combi weapon, you get two characters, a sergeant with a calibanite sword and a pair of lightning claws hitting an opponent with -1 WS and I. Although a lot of the army can come in from outflank or deep strike, I think most of the time only the javelin and Caestus will be starting in reserves.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

Be careful with the phosphex, it's mutually exclusive with the standard shot (unlike the quad mortar). Then there's the question if it's worth it, since the medusa gun is already S10 AP2 and will paste whatever it touches, while the phosphex gimps you vs armor.

It replaces stock ammo? Well then. Not quite as powerful as I thought it would be, then. Phosphex is arguably more powerful against infantry since it's S5 poisoned (3+) so it gets you a rerollable 3+ to wound against T4 targets (assuming they didn't change poison rules again while I wasn't looking) - that's 8/9 chance to wound Marines and the like, as opposed to 5/6 -and it lets you freely reposition the templates up to 2" towards a 'better' position. It does gimp its effectiveness against armor, though. Unless you intend to rely on the oodles of dangerous/difficult terrain to actively slow the other dude from closing in on you, more of an area-denial tool.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

SRM posted:

How much of a trap choice are the Ultramarines breachers with swords? The models look great but I have the gut feeling they won't do much.

I haven't used them myself, but I hear they make a pretty decent tar-pit for things like Primarchs.

I plan to get them just because they look so :krad: which is reason enough for me.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm not sure phosphex medusa shells are worth it tbh. You have a better chance to hit, sure, but no doubling out T4, no ordinance against tanks, and you no longer wound on a 2+. The worst part is that it's not free and you loose the option to shoot regular shells :( Not sure where you are getting the re-roll to wound from.

SRM posted:

Are you talking about regular breachers with power swords? Or the unique unit with the 2+ armour? If it's just a regular breacher getting a power sword, it's not worth it unless it costs 5 points or less. The main reason why is the low number of attacks due to the boarding shield (no two weapon attack bonus). There's also the question of what you want to do with them. A terminator with a claw has a 2+ to protect him from basic 3+ dudes with AP3 weapons while a breacher with a sword is vulnerable to the same swords he's going to use to chop at 3+ dudes.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm not sure phosphex medusa shells are worth it tbh. You have a better chance to hit, sure, but no doubling out T4, no ordinance against tanks, and you no longer wound on a 2+. The worst part is that it's not free and you loose the option to shoot regular shells :( Not sure where you are getting the re-roll to wound from.

Poison gets to reroll wounds against targets whose toughness is less than or equal to the strength of the poisoned weapon.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

panascope posted:

Poison gets to reroll wounds against targets whose toughness is less than or equal to the strength of the poisoned weapon.

You only get poison rerolls in melee.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Yeah, I think it was 6th that gave you rerolls in both shooting and assault.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
So I was actually going to get a bunch more done over the xmas break but my airbrush finally packed it in while I was doing these guys. Will be back at work before the replacement turns up so this is all I got done on my newly started Death Guard force. Will be playing a bunch of ZM and then expending out too 2-3k points probably running sacrificial ROW for out flanking fun, will be running lots of Cortus dreads, Praevion with some robots, Leviathan and some other goodies if I can fit it all in.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

Are you talking about regular breachers with power swords? Or the unique unit with the 2+ armour? If it's just a regular breacher getting a power sword, it's not worth it unless it costs 5 points or less. The main reason why is the low number of attacks due to the boarding shield (no two weapon attack bonus). There's also the question of what you want to do with them. A terminator with a claw has a 2+ to protect him from basic 3+ dudes with AP3 weapons while a breacher with a sword is vulnerable to the same swords he's going to use to chop at 3+ dudes.
The regular breachers, not the Suzerains. They get power swords for 5 points each. That does make a 20 point dude with a single power sword attack, which is pretty lovely now that I look at it.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

mlyp.

Jokes aside, ive been looking for some SA allies for my IW. Is that a good idea? Didnt IW have some sort of militiatype force?

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

SRM posted:

The regular breachers, not the Suzerains. They get power swords for 5 points each. That does make a 20 point dude with a single power sword attack, which is pretty lovely now that I look at it.

Can you give them a power axe instead?

I only take breachers as a ROW tax ATM.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

It replaces stock ammo? Well then.

Yep. Meanwhile Quad Mortars can select their ammo and so can Ordo Reductor medusas.

At this point I'm going to assume it's FW being FW and not going back to clean this up since it dates from book 1.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mango Polo posted:

Trying to keep the sweating down as I look at how restrictive and ultra specific the DA and WS rules are and praying to Alan Bligh that the TS won't be quite so crazy in that regard.

At this point there's really, really no reason not to wait just that extra month. Personally I've been accumulating bits and prepping various models (20 tacticals, 20 vets, a couple of HQ ideas), but not committing to anything till the rules are out.

Agreed. I haven't even picked up BaC or Prospero yet in case TS have the option for some crazy (made-up random example) Mass Psychic Terminators Rite of War I'd like to build instead.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

DJ Dizzy posted:

mlyp.

Jokes aside, ive been looking for some SA allies for my IW. Is that a good idea? Didnt IW have some sort of militiatype force?

SA, ignoring the £££ element, are pretty strong. Just sayin'. I've tried to write some allied lists for my salamanders and they can be quite ridiculous quite quickly.

Just make sure you don't get drawn into the lure of 3 Malcador Infernuses.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

There is only 1 HS slot on the ally chart :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Killer_Bees! posted:

So I was actually going to get a bunch more done over the xmas break but my airbrush finally packed it in while I was doing these guys. Will be back at work before the replacement turns up so this is all I got done on my newly started Death Guard force. Will be playing a bunch of ZM and then expending out too 2-3k points probably running sacrificial ROW for out flanking fun, will be running lots of Cortus dreads, Praevion with some robots, Leviathan and some other goodies if I can fit it all in.

Looking good. Death Guard for the Death Guard god.

Re: Phosphex shells on Medusas: coming from the perspective of a phos-lover, even I don't think it's worth it to replace the normal shells with phosphex. You're giving up too much for very little (if any) benefit.

Also, Narik Dreygur is a great basis for a Siege Breaker model IMO.