Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

veni veni veni posted:

Is it normal for a 35 year old to want to hole up and watch movies on New Year's Eve in leu of going out with my friends? I can't tell if I'm getting anti social or if I'm just getting old?

Yes

It's both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Is it normal for a 35 year old to want to hole up and watch movies on New Year's Eve in leu of going out with my friends? I can't tell if I'm getting anti social or if I'm just getting old?

You should go out with friends.

Or just do as you wanna. But a life defined by what you watched is not as good as being around people.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm 40, and unless you fight it, it just gets worse with age. Find some middle ground between never leaving the house again, and being a social butterfly. Not to say you have to go out tonight, on the worst of all nights, NYE, but make a goal to get out of the house with friends once a week or so. It's like exercising. Makes you a better person.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Just be warned that the word "malaise" is inextricably linked to Jimmy Carter.

not to anyone under 40 it isn't

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

not to anyone under 40 it isn't

Yeah, Jimmy Carter was a good guy.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Jimmy Carter: great ex-president, meh president.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I did a clean install for an old PC I'm selling that uses Windows 7 for its OS. I've been trying to make it update and its been showing "Searching for updates" for maybe 6 hours now, with no indication that it is actually doing anything. Am I missing something here?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Leal posted:

I did a clean install for an old PC I'm selling that uses Windows 7 for its OS. I've been trying to make it update and its been showing "Searching for updates" for maybe 6 hours now, with no indication that it is actually doing anything. Am I missing something here?

Me too, but make that 48 hours. I'd be keen to know the answer as well.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hyperlynx posted:

That is 100% definitely absolutely not a robot. He's just speaking clearly and deliberately, and I can't figure out how that's ambiguous. That's just an Australian accent, not a robot accent.

He's pronouncing some things very oddly. Most notably, the T sound in certain words. I think maybe his natural way of speaking is to replace those T sounds with D sounds and he's over-correcting?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

The are a couple of the "fix it for me" things you can run off of the Microsoft technet articles. Additionally, you can delete the update cache.

I'd link it for you, but I'm on my phone.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Leal posted:

The core problem you have is that the Windows Update code you have is too old to actually get recent updates. And on top of that, there's a good 5 years of updates since Service Pack 1. Here's what you need to do:

First download and install this package from Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810 You'll scroll to Method 2, and then pick the "All supported x86-based versions of Windows 7" file for 32 bit or "All supported x64-based versions of Windows 7" file for 64 bit.

After you do that, you'll go here and download this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369 Follow the same steps you did for the first update.

Then do it again, with this one: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083710 Follow the same steps

Finally, though this is optional, you'll want to do this last step. It'll save an hour or two of further updating. You need to go to http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3125574 and download either " Update for Windows 7 (KB3125574) " for a 32 bit system or " Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3125574) " for a 64 bit system. This is a package that bundles up a ton of the updates from SP1 all the way to not too long ago.

If you're not sure whether you need 64 or 32 bit, don't worry. If you download both and try to run the wrong one, it'll just tell you so. You can then switch to the other. Also, you do need to have Service Pack 1 installed first, though your clean install probably has it. If you don't have Service Pack 1, you can easily get it from Microsoft.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

fishmech posted:

The core problem you have is that the Windows Update code you have is too old to actually get recent updates. And on top of that, there's a good 5 years of updates since Service Pack 1. Here's what you need to do:

First download and install this package from Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810 You'll scroll to Method 2, and then pick the "All supported x86-based versions of Windows 7" file for 32 bit or "All supported x64-based versions of Windows 7" file for 64 bit.

After you do that, you'll go here and download this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369 Follow the same steps you did for the first update.

Then do it again, with this one: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083710 Follow the same steps

Finally, though this is optional, you'll want to do this last step. It'll save an hour or two of further updating. You need to go to http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3125574 and download either " Update for Windows 7 (KB3125574) " for a 32 bit system or " Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3125574) " for a 64 bit system. This is a package that bundles up a ton of the updates from SP1 all the way to not too long ago.

If you're not sure whether you need 64 or 32 bit, don't worry. If you download both and try to run the wrong one, it'll just tell you so. You can then switch to the other. Also, you do need to have Service Pack 1 installed first, though your clean install probably has it. If you don't have Service Pack 1, you can easily get it from Microsoft.

I got the first 3 installed, after having to do some weird thing where I had to disable the wuauserver in admin command prompt and rerun the files to get them to install... except for KB3125574. No amount of turning off wuauserver and retrying is working out.

What is also bugging me is that if I disconnect while trying to use windows update it doesn't even react and tell me the computer isn't connected to the internet so it can't download anything. I also can't cancel it. Its like the program does nothing after opening it besides entering an endless loop.

Leal fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 1, 2017

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, installing those KBs appears to have done it! I had to stop the Windows Update service before each one, though.

Thanks!

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I had the exact same problem, but couldn't find a fix and in the end just converted them to windows 10.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How come phones these days can get away without external antennae? Is it because there are way more towers, because antenna design has improved, or something else?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

hooah posted:

How come phones these days can get away without external antennae? Is it because there are way more towers, because antenna design has improved, or something else?

You can't really get around antenna length (that's a physics constraint), but signal processing is much better so you don't need it sticking out in mid air anymore.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Leal posted:

I got the first 3 installed, after having to do some weird thing where I had to disable the wuauserver in admin command prompt and rerun the files to get them to install... except for KB3125574. No amount of turning off wuauserver and retrying is working out.

Don't worry if you can't install that one, it's optional.

hooah posted:

The external antennas had been ornamental for a while, like 20 years. You mostly needed them on old analog-only phones because analog cell phone systems require significantly higher transmit power and more reception sensitivity. Later digital phones stuck the antenna out a bit, but they usually only did so because they ran out of space inside the rest of the handset - and in other designs, just because people expected there to be an antenna nub.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Can anyone answer this question about the Avengers movie?

In the scene where the Avengers and Nick Fury are arguing about Furys use of the cube to make weapons (just after the Loki/Black Widow prison cell talk) things are ramping up and getting more heated, coming to a point of crisis when David Banner looks down to realize he has somehow unknowingly picked up Loki's scepter. Before anything can happen the computer pings to let them know it has located a large gamma signature (the cube) Banner looks at the screen mutters "Oh my god" in a shocked voice and is promptly interrupted by the possessed Hawkeyes attack.

My question is: Why is Banner so shocked? What caused his reaction? The cube is nowhere near the Avengers so what has the computer detected?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

What do you call the frost that forms on trees and then falls to the ground so it looks like snow even though there hasn't been any snow?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
You're probably thinking of rime or hoarfrost.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is this tablet battery something I should actively look to replace? Bottom left of pic.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

504 posted:

Can anyone answer this question about the Avengers movie?

In the scene where the Avengers and Nick Fury are arguing about Furys use of the cube to make weapons (just after the Loki/Black Widow prison cell talk) things are ramping up and getting more heated, coming to a point of crisis when David Banner looks down to realize he has somehow unknowingly picked up Loki's scepter. Before anything can happen the computer pings to let them know it has located a large gamma signature (the cube) Banner looks at the screen mutters "Oh my god" in a shocked voice and is promptly interrupted by the possessed Hawkeyes attack.

My question is: Why is Banner so shocked? What caused his reaction? The cube is nowhere near the Avengers so what has the computer detected?

Did you know that David Banner became the Hulk when he was exposed to gamma radiation?

Therefore a large gamma signature could indicate that he was about to change again?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I googled it using the basic details of the "cube in new York" answer, looks like that's it.

Although, technically it doesn't really matter where Lokis doing it, so big deal if its in NY.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
What animal makes tracks that look like this
code:
: - -
Lake Ontario region.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pygmy Sasquatch.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

dokmo posted:

What animal makes tracks that look like this
code:
: - -
Lake Ontario region.

Galloping rabbit, I think.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Looks like a human shoe. They usually have two feet though, so my only explanation is some sort of cryptid.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Can I ask a question about SA? Do we still have a pen pal/ goon mail thread?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

In Windows 10, when you're looking at a folder and you start typing, it searches that folder and its subfolders. Is there a way to make it not do that and instead just highlight the first item in that folder that matches what you typed, like it used to do in earlier versions of Windows?

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Is this tablet battery something I should actively look to replace? Bottom left of pic.

If it's a LiPo (Lithium-based) - yes. LiPos spontaneously combust when breached.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

In Windows 10, when you're looking at a folder and you start typing, it searches that folder and its subfolders. Is there a way to make it not do that and instead just highlight the first item in that folder that matches what you typed, like it used to do in earlier versions of Windows?

It still does this for me. How are you getting to that folder?

Also, is the file pane in focus? Do you click or tab over to the box where the files are shown first?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

tuyop posted:

It still does this for me. How are you getting to that folder?

Also, is the file pane in focus? Do you click or tab over to the box where the files are shown first?

I just open "This PC" in start, navigate to any folder and start typing. :shrug:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

What is the thing in device manager (I'm on Windows 10) to reset associations between USB ports and devices that have been attached? My phone suddenly needs a new one every time it's plugged in.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I just open "This PC" in start, navigate to any folder and start typing. :shrug:

Yeah, that behaves normally for me. Must be a setting somewhere(s).

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Tiggum posted:

In the Folder options, View tab:
make sure "When typing into list view" is set to "select the typed item" is selected (it's near the bottom of the list).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

pylb posted:

In the Folder options, View tab:
make sure "When typing into list view" is set to "select the typed item" is selected (it's near the bottom of the list).

Thanks, that did it. :)

Subhu Man
Mar 20, 2004

When stalking tigers it's positively anaerobic to anticipate failiure.
(HBT; Outtakes, 5:32)

hooah posted:

Antennas are fractal shaped now as they get better gain that way. It used to be that a long stick got the best reception, now it is known that a flat fractal pattern works better.

http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2012/ph250/ferguson1/

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

We really are living in the future.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

If you take a picture, you own the copyright to that picture, so if you take a screenshot of a game, do you own the copyright to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tight aspirations posted:

If you take a picture, you own the copyright to that picture, so if you take a screenshot of a game, do you own the copyright to that?

No.

Same reason you can't take a picture of a painting and make reproductions of that. Needs to be an original creation.