Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the trump tutelage posted:

At least in terms of the thread topic, treating women and women's bodies as accessories seems far more pervasive and toxic than the exchange of sex for money.

In many cases they are the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

the white hand posted:

What I am saying is, I don't know how you could have construed what I said as disingenuous. Sure I phrased it a little sarcastically, but that's because there is a pretty obvious connection between men participating in sex trafficking and they, themselves, experiencing negative effects. That's why I am baffled that posters are treating this discussion as irrelevant to the purpose of the thread.

You made up something I didn't say and then sarcastically mocked me for it while ignoring the point I'd actually made, after I had already explicitly stated that if the conversation were brought back around to focus on the impact on men that would be fine.

You did this while you, yourself, were the primary actor in refocusing the existing, men-focused conversation (all two posts of it) to talk solely about the women involved and the impact on them.

If you aren't being disingenious, you should stop posting, because it's clear your emotional closeness to the issue is rendering you incapable of discussing it honestly in a way that is about the impact on men, and if you want to talk about sexual exploitation and it's effects on victims you can do it somewhere else.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

the white hand posted:

In many cases they are the same thing.

Yes, definitely.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Wasting posted:

Where did I accuse any of you of being on the latter? It's a real issue.

If you're saying that this

Wasting posted:

I, personally, believe that a lot of the ideas expressed in this thread are rooted in a more fundamental sexism masquerading as concern over the exploitation of women. That we need to protect them from themselves and their own sexuality.

isn't an accusation, then we're basically playing Debate Team I'm-Not-Touching-You-Why-Are-You-Mad, here. It's this statement that you should have provided evidence for.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GlyphGryph posted:

You did this while you, yourself, were the primary actor in refocusing the existing, men-focused conversation (all two posts of it) to talk solely about the women involved and the impact on them.

You know sometimes, to talk about what affects men you have to talk about women for a minute. This is a tough break and I don't know how to counsel you about it other than steeling yourself.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
please both of you stop oh god

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wasting posted:

Sure, one thing I'd love to discuss is toxic masculinity, specifically how delegitimization of "un-masculine" emotions is used as a technique of control in male-dominated spaces. Any perceived dissent toward the most toxic male is often dismissed as crying (what's your problem, big boys don't cry, cry moar/QQ, etc), and there's two problematic elements here: first, crying is one of the most honest expressions of anguish available to a human, and defining it as a negative trait / using it to express dissatisfaction with others' male performance undermines the very idea of humanness; second, as history and everyday experience demonstrates time and time again, those least suited to power are the most likely to seek it out -- whether we're talking about something as high-level as government, as integral to society as fatherhood, or as simple as volunteer administration.

We often end up with toxic men masquerading as leaders or, perhaps more insidiously, as teachers, and perpetuating the cycle. What do you think we can do about this?
I don't know, because I think you're dealing with the confluence of a few different issues here: first, society's perceptions of what traits men should have; second, the ways in which the traits that allow you to get and hold positions of power aren't necessarily the same traits that make you a good person - not that all people in positions of leadership are bad people, simply that it isn't a requirement; third, the existence of "good ol' boy" clubs in areas like academia and business; fourth, the question of whether or not there are a disproportionate number of "toxic" people in leadership positions vs. society at large; fifth, how we differentiate toxic behavior from healthy societal pressures: not all external pressures, such as shame or a desire to live up to expectations, are negative.

So I don't have a good answer to the question, but I think your observation in the first paragraph is good.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Hey you might be participating in an exploitative system"

"gently caress off this is about things that affect ME"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be nice if the thread could go a few hours without being closed again.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

the white hand posted:

You know sometimes, to talk about what affects men you have to talk about women for a minute. This is a tough break and I don't know how to counsel you about it other than steeling yourself.

Would you accept this as an excuse from a man coming into a feminism thread, specifically a feminism thread about how the patriarchy effects women, to talk about how a particular issue effects men?

Could you imagine coming in, and derailing an actual conversation about the effect on women, and derailing things for many posts with all appearances of the discussion of men dominating the conversation for the next several pages and, when called on nit, responding with

the white hand posted:

You know sometimes, to talk about what affects women you have to talk about men for a minute. This is a tough break and I don't know how to counsel you about it other than steeling yourself.

Holy poo poo no wonder this thread was locked. The only person here capable of actually talking about the topic is Angepain, as far as I can tell (I finally read back through the several pages before it was locked, and wow. Wow.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

This is where the original opposition to me appeared: admitting that I've visited strip clubs. Is it possible to do that while opposing exploitation?

Yes, although you probably can't do it and still be consistent with your ideals.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

the trump tutelage posted:

The last thread was derailed by second guessing people's motivations and assuming everyone was a lovely troll. Can we give people more a benefit of the doubt this time around?

I love how these D&D threads about a social movement where one of mantras is 'intent doesn't matter' often devolve into amateur psychoanalyses of various posters' intentions, hopes, dreams, and desires.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 2, 2017

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GlyphGryph posted:

Would you accept this as an excuse from a man coming into a feminism thread, specifically a feminism thread about how the patriarchy effects women, to talk about how a particular issue effects men?

Haha no, of course not

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

You made up something I didn't say and then sarcastically mocked me for it while ignoring the point I'd actually made, after I had already explicitly stated that if the conversation were brought back around to focus on the impact on men that would be fine.

If you aren't being disingenious, you should stop posting, because it's clear your emotional closeness to the issue is rendering you incapable of discussing it honestly in a way that is about the impact on men, and if you want to talk about sexual exploitation and it's effects on victims you can do it somewhere else.
Please don't try to police the thread. If you think someone is derailing the thread, report and PM a mod(s).

This goes for everyone else, too. If you think someone is derailing, or cheerleading, or posting in bad faith, all those things can be reported.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Could you imagine coming in, and derailing an actual conversation about the effect on women, and derailing things for many posts with all appearances of the discussion of men dominating the conversation for the next several pages and, when called on nit, responding with

Are you saying that the way that men observe and treat women has no effect on men?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
One effect of patriarchy that affects men is in nursing, you really don't find too many male nurses in Labor and Delivery. Never mind that the gynecologist may be male, but everywhere I have worked I have noticed that you just don't find them in that area. You may find them working in the nursery and maybe Post-partum, but when it comes to actually helping deliver the baby, it's a rarity.

Another thing is that you will have female patients that don't want male nurses/nursing assistants changing them, but most male patients have no problem with female nurses/nursing assistants changing them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

One effect of patriarchy that affects men is in nursing, you really don't find too many male nurses in Labor and Delivery. Never mind that the gynecologist may be male, but everywhere I have worked I have noticed that you just don't find them in that area. You may find them working in the nursery and maybe Post-partum, but when it comes to actually helping deliver the baby, it's a rarity.

Another thing is that you will have female patients that don't want male nurses/nursing assistants changing them, but most male patients have no problem with female nurses/nursing assistants changing them.

Are men actively discouraged from pursuing nursing careers, do you think, the same way they are from pursuing childcare careers? Or is it more a result of "any man who would be inclined to pursue a nursing career probably has the opportunity to pursue a more 'prestigious' alternative in the medical field and will likely go for that instead"? Basically, are the numbers from men being pushed out of nursing or from women being pushed in?

Although the second point does bring to mind one of the absolute biggest impacts on men, and something that really is worth discussing:

The Patriarchy makes people afraid of men.
Harmless, kind, gentle men will often be feared. They will often not be seen as trustworthy. Especially if they are also lower income, since wealthy people get nice perceptual bonuses to "safe", or a minority, in which case they will often be seen as "potentially criminal".

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Angepain posted:

If you're saying that this

isn't an accusation, then we're basically playing Debate Team I'm-Not-Touching-You-Why-Are-You-Mad, here. It's this statement that you should have provided evidence for.

That's fair. I can't say why any of you write the things you do, and maybe I shouldn't have written as such. But I'm always suspicious of an opinion when it aligns with a real issue. Certain posters assumed the worst in me, and I'm human as well, so I tend to assume the worst in them as well.

FAU. Thank you. Your last clause is the issue that we're all struggling with. Healthy is an entirely loaded concept, especially if we're debating gender issues.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

And it really loving sucks. Good luck getting a job like being a daycare provider, as a dude, especially if you don't have a women to put in front of you as the 'face' of the operation.

I even got some really sketchy and incredulous responses when I went to class for teaching because why would a guy want to teach kids, what was he up to? I wasn't even aware the suspicion had extended that far, I thought male teachers were still common. Almost everyone in my classes except me were women, and the few men were going for high school teaching positions.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

GlyphGryph posted:

Are men actively discouraged from pursuing nursing careers, do you think, the same way they are from pursuing childcare careers? Or is it more a result of "any man who would be inclined to pursue a nursing career probably has the opportunity to pursue a more 'prestigious' alternative in the medical field and will likely go for that instead"? Basically, are the numbers from men being pushed out of nursing or from women being pushed in?

Although the second point does bring to mind one of the absolute biggest impacts on men, and something that really is worth discussing:

The Patriarchy makes people afraid of men.
Harmless, kind, gentle men will often be feared. They will often not be seen as trustworthy. Especially if they are also lower income, since wealthy people get nice perceptual bonuses to "safe", or a minority, in which case they will often be seen as "potentially criminal".

No, I don't think men are being pushed out from nursing at all. In fact, I think the number of men in nursing is growing. But rather specific fields of nursing tend not to have many men in them. I probably should do the research as to the why.

But there is the common question you usually get: "Why not become a doctor?"

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Angepain posted:

I think we did get a bit off track there, though the pressure from other guys to take part in the ol' patriarchal objectivation is definitely an issue which has a lot to bite into.

Sometimes you can't even avoid it, even when you are avoiding it. I was sent to work at the office of one of our contractors in South Africa for a few months this year, replacing on short notice some other staff from the UK who were sent home after they partied too hard and got in big trouble. Apparently they also had a habit of visiting a particular strip club, and from the moment I arrived there was a presumption on the part of all the male staff employed directly by the contractor that the replacement staff (including me) would be continuing to frequent the place. Initially people assumed I was making excuses because I was shy or something, but after the rumours got around that the previous staff were sent home for indiscretion everyone immediately assumed I was going and just covering my rear end with the denials.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Tesseraction posted:

Are you saying that the way that men observe and treat women has no effect on men?

I wish I could troll half as well as you do

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Wasting posted:

It's impossible for me -- or you, for that matter -- to ensure that any person, whatever business they are engaged in, isn't being exploited in that business relationship. Admittedly, this is an industry where it is more common.

Indeed, my friend, which is why there's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism.

The thing is, though, that while we may be aware that there might be a certain amount of exploitation inherent to any business relationship, for some businesses, it's not only known, but proven. Is it applicable to absolutely every person engaged in that business? No, absolutely not, but it's commonplace enough to give you good reason to be weary and probably treat such institutions more critically than others.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Rush Limbo posted:

Indeed, my friend, which is why there's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism.

The thing is, though, that while we may be aware that there might be a certain amount of exploitation inherent to any business relationship, for some businesses, it's not only known, but proven. Is it applicable to absolutely every person engaged in that business? No, absolutely not, but it's commonplace enough to give you good reason to be weary and probably treat such institutions more critically than others.

Thank you for this, but it leads back to the same question: do we ban exotic dance (as euphemistic as it is) and prostitution, or do we adopt models from abroad that protect the agency of those involved? The answer is clear, if you're paying attention at all. There is no evidence that the majority of strippers are victimized in their choice of profession. No doubt, it does happen, but that is, and I'm entirely guessing here (and I'd love to see some kind of concrete figures) the vast minority in North America. It's fine to be critical, but it's part of our society, and instead of demonizing the men who patronize these establishments and the women who staff them, it's better to advocate for protections under law.

Edit: And seriously, most of you suck. With respect to this issue.

Wasting fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 2, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wasting posted:

Thank you for this, but it leads back to the same question: do we ban exotic dance (as euphemistic as it is) and prostitution, or do we adopt models from abroad that protect the agency of those involved? The answer is clear, if you're paying attention at all. There is no evidence that the majority of strippers are victimized in their choice of profession. No doubt, it does happen, but that is, and I'm entirely guessing here (and I'd love to see some kind of concrete figures) the vast minority in North America. It's fine to be critical, but it's part of our society, and instead of demonizing the men who patronize these establishments and the women who staff them, it's better to advocate for protections under law.

Perhaps we can suggest that men should not patronize industries complicit with the exploitation of women while simultaneously attempting to provide the women working in those industries with support to avoid exploitation?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

It's fine to be critical, but it's part of our society, and instead of demonizing the men who patronize these establishments and the women who staff them, it's better to advocate for protections under law.

Could you helpfully quote some of the people who are demonizing the men who patronize strip clubs and especially the women who staff them? You've mentioned it so often it should be pretty trivial to show me some concrete examples, right?

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps we can suggest that men should not patronize industries complicit with the exploitation of women while simultaneously attempting to provide the women working in those industries with support to avoid exploitation?

You're demonizing sexuality, sex workers, and exotic dancers on the assumption that there are better, more puritan careers for them to engage in. It's ridiculous. If that's what they're good at and interested in, what's the problem?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Yo here's my contribution for the evening. [I accidentally posted it in the regular feminism thread first oops]

So here is like, #masculinitysofragile ground zero. How does patriarchy hurt men? by policing their actions so hard they can't even put their hands over their face without it being disgusting and feminine.

Under patriarchy a woman is the worst thing you can be. Ergo, the worst way you can insult a man is by saying he is like a woman.

Gentlemen, regardless of your sexual orientation, it must be exhausting to have to live every day navigating a constant minefield of whether your actions are "masculine" enough to avoid ridicule and ostracizing. Like, not even being able to wear certain colors because they're too "gay." Or moving your hips too much when you dance.

Witch Hammer up there is in a social situation that must cause him constant anxiety, that even the smallest mistake can mean he is no longer masculine and acceptable. That's no way to have a healthy society.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Who What Now posted:

Could you helpfully quote some of the people who are demonizing the men who patronize strip clubs and especially the women who staff them? You've mentioned it so often it should be pretty trivial to show me some concrete examples, right?

You got me. It's been a really subjective slog. The issues with men, particularly me, visiting strip clubs have been about tertiary ideas. If you want a notch on your belt: here it is. But appreciate that I am one man.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

You're demonizing sexuality, sex workers, and exotic dancers on the assumption that there are better, more puritan careers for them to engage in. It's ridiculous. If that's what they're good at and interested in, what's the problem?

Where did he mention anything about puritanism? If you keep projecting so hard you're going to blow a hole clean through the forums.

Edit:

Wasting posted:

You got me. It's been a really subjective slog. The issues with men, particularly me, visiting strip clubs have been about tertiary ideas. If you want a notch on your belt: here it is. But appreciate that I am one man.

I just want you to stop making poo poo up about anyone here "demonizing" people when that's clearly not something that's happening.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Who What Now posted:

Where did he mention anything about puritanism? If you keep projecting so hard you're going to blow a hole clean through the forums.

Edit:

I just want you to stop making poo poo up about anyone here "demonizing" people when that's clearly not something that's happening.

Okay.

Edit: Maybe I'm not smart enough to engage on the issue here, but can you see it?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
As long as exploitation is a fact of life, asking people to 'not patronize exploitative industries' is just bullshit though. Guess where the minerals from your smart phone came from?

Here, let me spell it out for you: there is no ethical consumption under capitalism. You do your best, but there's no 'right' choice, not really.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Defenestration posted:

Witch Hammer up there is in a social situation that must cause him constant anxiety, that even the smallest mistake can mean he is no longer masculine and acceptable. That's no way to have a healthy society.

Having anxiety about this is, in and of itself, unmasculine.

Maybe this is why many hypermasculine people will respond to violence if you put them in a situation where they can't help but be anxious about making a mistake, or anxious they could be seen to have already made a mistake. They gotta quickly try to drown out both their own anxiety and distract any potential witnesses!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wasting posted:

No, I'm entirely happy for people to undertake sex work on a voluntary basis. I am as happy about people undertaking it under economic coercion as I am with people undertaking similarly demanding work under economic coercion, which is to say not very, but that's primarily a socialist issue rather than a feminist one.

I am not at all OK with the systematic, and often grossly disproportionate and violent exploitation of women which is thoroughly bound up in sex work as an industry.

The sex work industry as stands is not ethical, you should not support it. If you want to work out sex work arrangements with individual women that is up to you but it is incumbent upon you as the person with the economic power in that activity to ensure that that is not exploitative.

rudatron posted:

As long as exploitation is a fact of life, asking people to 'not patronize exploitative industries' is just bullshit though. Guess where the minerals from your smart phone came from?

Here, let me spell it out for you: there is no ethical consumption under capitalism. You do your best, but there's no 'right' choice, not really.

You don't have to go to strip clubs or hire sex workers, you can quite easily do without those things. You probably need a phone in order to get and keep a job, the two are not commensurable.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 2, 2017

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's a thorny issue, and I personally think even the best solutions we can come up with are merely a band aid while the larger problem doesn't seem to be getting tackled, namely, why is sex considered a need, or rather why is the propagation of your future, potential self deemed to be on the same level of need as the existence of your current self?

If I don't have food and drink, I will die. That's a pretty demonstrable thing. As such, I believe food and drink should be a pretty fundamental, unalienable right. I don't necessarily believe the same thing about sex, or even propagation of the species, which sex is pretty much for (on a basic level).

I mean, I don't eat food and drink purely to survive, there is undeniable a pleasure aspect that comes with it, same with sex. The commodification of sex definitely seems to have given people the impression that it is a fundamental need like food and drink, though, when it is not. It's a nice perk, but I think the pressure placed upon people, particularly by society, to be seen as a normal sexhaver is doing immeasurable harm. The message being that if you're not having sex, or don't have the desire to have sex, you're a fundamentally broken person of little to no worth because everyone else is having sex all the time (citation needed)

Or to put it another way: gently caress advertising forever.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This is a massive topic in itself, and is probably, more than any other reason, the number 1 cause of MRAs existing - men who do not 'fit' within masculine roles overcompensating.

But to challenge something here: it's not just that the 'worst thing you can be is a woman'. Effeminate men, are actually seen as worse than women, because you don't have any 'value' attached to you.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

Okay.

Edit: Maybe I'm not smart enough to engage on the issue here, but can you see it?

Can I see what? Strippers being demonized? No, I really can't. I really don't understand how you can read "strippers should be able to work in the safest, least-exploitive conditions reasonably possible" and somehow see that as "strippers are hussies that need to get more dignified jobs, like school marm or nun". I simply don't know how your brain is making the leap from one to the other.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
I'm not going away unless FAU probates/bans me again, and I'm not unreasonable. There's no reason we can't talk to one another in a non-adversarial manner.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Who What Now posted:

Can I see what? Strippers being demonized? No, I really can't. I really don't understand how you can read "strippers should be able to work in the safest, least-exploitive conditions reasonably possible" and somehow see that as "strippers are hussies that need to get more dignified jobs, like school marm or nun". I simply don't know how your brain is making the leap from one to the other.

I agree with your first quotation 100%. Reread what I've posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Having anxiety about this is, in and of itself, unmasculine.

Maybe this is why many hypermasculine people will respond to violence if you put them in a situation where they can't help but be anxious about making a mistake, or anxious they could be seen to have already made a mistake. They gotta quickly try to drown out both their own anxiety and distract any potential witnesses!

oh poo poo, good point! mental healthcare is for weak unmasculine people

doing the Extremely Pissed Off Right Wingers reviews in the political forward thread, I certainly notice a theme of gun nuttery paired with toxic masculinity resulting in claims like "if you so much as set foot within a thousand yards of me on my property I will straight murder you because that's what men do"

Military worship is a very basic EPORW thing but what I want to point out here is why is it a good thing to be bad at negotiation? Why is a gun the first and only tool a soldier (or a man) should have?

rudatron posted:

This is a massive topic in itself, and is probably, more than any other reason, the number 1 cause of MRAs existing - men who do not 'fit' within masculine roles overcompensating.

But to challenge something here: it's not just that the 'worst thing you can be is a woman'. Effeminate men, are actually seen as worse than women, because you don't have any 'value' attached to you.
I can see that. It's a subject/object situation. women are objectified so they can't ever be real people anyway, but a man who ostensibly was a full person under this scheme degrading himself to object level by being deliberately feminine, well, that's an existential horror isn't it?

do not get me started on MRAs. that shithole is so wide and deep. MRA, PUA, incel, men going their own way, all of them unhealthy coping mechanisms built up around perceived failures to Man well enough. (see: Elliot Rodger)

• Locked thread