Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I'd like to see a timeline when Romans came up with explosives early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

skasion posted:

But every Calends was a holiday and sacred to something or other, and Romans had rather a lot of holidays.

It seems to be a pretty common thing that our societies (particularly in North America) have way fewer holidays than most places have in the past. What I'm saying is I want more holidays.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

It seems to be a pretty common thing that our societies (particularly in North America) have way fewer holidays than most places have in the past. What I'm saying is I want more holidays.

I blame capitalism.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

PittTheElder posted:

Bear in mind that Romans didn't have weekends off. They didn't have weeks or weekends at all, for that matter. Some professions seem to have taken every eighth day off, following the market-day cycle, but I seriously doubt that it was legally required to give your workers any time off at all except on ferial days.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I would assume the Romans also didn't have vacations in the same way we do nowadays. Well, not unless you were rich, anyway.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JaucheCharly posted:

I'd like to see a timeline when Romans came up with explosives early.

Gunnius Powderius: So you see, this invention will make our armies obsolete!
Vespasian: Well I don't want a bunch of soldiers loitering around unemployed, throw your invention into the ocean!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

I would assume the Romans also didn't have vacations in the same way we do nowadays. Well, not unless you were rich, anyway.

There definitely was a concept of tourism and taking time away from the city, it wasn't considered particularly unusual for Romans to visit Egypt or Greece for pleasure, or a "grand tour" type thing where you'd see the sights of the ancient world, or study in the academies of the Hellenic world. And it was known that the city of Rome wasn't necessarily a great place to be if you weren't in good health, so you have people moving out to their estate in the countryside for a while and so on. Obviously both things limited to those who could afford it but poo poo, it's not like poor people can afford to take overseas vacations today either.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I was using 'vacation' more in the sense of 'paid time off that isn't related to a specific holiday'. Although tourism in antiquity sounds like a fascinating subject. Did the Romans have anything similar to modern luxury cruises?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

I was using 'vacation' more in the sense of 'paid time off that isn't related to a specific holiday'. Although tourism in antiquity sounds like a fascinating subject. Did the Romans have anything similar to modern luxury cruises?

Lionel Casson's book "Travel in the Ancient World" is the only good book I can recall that covers ancient "tourism." I don't think anybody got on a non-barge ship for fun, though, since sea travel was so risky. Travel in general was pretty risky, but sea travel especially so.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Samuel Clemens posted:

You really didn't want to get on an ancient ship if you didn't have a good reason. The closest thing I can think of would be the pleasure barges, a giant boat with slaves and concubines for chilling out on, but that's basically just a floating dining room that would hang out on a lake or a river. Maybe anchored right offshore but you weren't crossing the Mediterranean unless you were going somewhere. Land travel within the empire seems to have been pretty safe.

We have a lot of ancient souvenirs though, like purpose made to sell at souvenir shops. Doing a circuit of gladiatorial games around Italy seems to have been a normal thing. Games were scheduled in such a way as you could catch them in Rome and then head down to Pompeii to see theirs. If you had money, it was pretty expected to go to Greece or Egypt to get some culture.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
after sparta declined they were a tourist attraction for a while, you could go watch them train the young boys/the way they lived and ate, etc. "Like it really was back in antiquity!" the romans would say to one another

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

You really didn't want to get on an ancient ship if you didn't have a good reason. The closest thing I can think of would be the pleasure barges, a giant boat with slaves and concubines for chilling out on, but that's basically just a floating dining room that would hang out on a lake or a river. Maybe anchored right offshore but you weren't crossing the Mediterranean unless you were going somewhere. Land travel within the empire seems to have been pretty safe.

Were ancient ships really that unsafe in the Mediterranean? I always thought Roman suspicion of large bodies of water was more cultural than anything else.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Elyv posted:

Were ancient ships really that unsafe in the Mediterranean? I always thought Roman suspicion of large bodies of water was more cultural than anything else.

You can find arguments on both sides, I don't think there's a good answer. My opinion on it is they weren't that dangerous but there's a reason why they avoided ship travel when possible. For most of history getting on a ship to travel across the sea was rolling the dice, it wasn't that weird for a ship to depart and just vanish without a trace. That said the Phoenicians didn't seem to have any problem getting on a ship for a long journey so they couldn't have been like u-boat levels of danger.

Ancient ships were not generally designed for long endurance. They liked to stay within sight of the coast when possible and regularly beached the ships at night for safety. The Mediterranean isn't that big so if that's where you're sailing you don't need to engineer a ship for super long hauls.

We know Romans got on ships and went as far as China so it's doable if you have a reason. That journey would've been hugging the coast though, and I would guess in stages on different ships. Red Sea -> India, India -> Malacca or Vietnam, then up to China and inland to Chang'an.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 2, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Probably kinda like how a lot of people are scared to fly nowadays. Most of the time, a vast majority of the time really, it goes perfectly smoothly. But if something goes bad it can go really bad really quickly with little way to fix it. To a certain viewpoint, nothing's going to convince you it's fine.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

fishmech posted:

Probably kinda like how a lot of people are scared to fly nowadays. Most of the time, a vast majority of the time really, it goes perfectly smoothly. But if something goes bad it can go really bad really quickly with little way to fix it. To a certain viewpoint, nothing's going to convince you it's fine.

Probably the danger was a lot more severe. Flight is regulated as gently caress and there's a high degree of standardization and control over how planes are built, how they're manned, how they communicate, how they're supplied, how they're scheduled, how they're protected from adverse conditions and human threat, etc that vastly exceeds what was even remotely possible in the ancient world. And Romans were generally less inclined as a society to worry about a bunch of people dying every now and again than moderns are.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Elyv posted:

Also it was specifically Roman. Greeks for eg were way more OK with it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

skasion posted:

Probably the danger was a lot more severe. Flight is regulated as gently caress and there's a high degree of standardization and control over how planes are built, how they're manned, how they communicate, how they're supplied, how they're scheduled, how they're protected from adverse conditions and human threat, etc that vastly exceeds what was even remotely possible in the ancient world. And Romans were generally less inclined as a society to worry about a bunch of people dying every now and again than moderns are.

Also, pirates.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

homullus posted:

Also, pirates.

That's one problem the Romans actually did solve, probably because their political systems were a lot more geared towards getting politicians to kill people than they were towards enforcing regulations for seaworthiness or whatever.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

skasion posted:

There definitely was a concept of tourism and taking time away from the city, it wasn't considered particularly unusual for Romans to visit Egypt or Greece for pleasure, or a "grand tour" type thing where you'd see the sights of the ancient world, or study in the academies of the Hellenic world. And it was known that the city of Rome wasn't necessarily a great place to be if you weren't in good health, so you have people moving out to their estate in the countryside for a while and so on. Obviously both things limited to those who could afford it but poo poo, it's not like poor people can afford to take overseas vacations today either.

Why was Rome "a bad place to be if you weren't in good health"? My initial thought was "varying terrain", but Rome is a flat, coastal area, right?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Why was Rome "a bad place to be if you weren't in good health"? My initial thought was "varying terrain", but Rome is a flat, coastal area, right?
the summer is malarial

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

skasion posted:

That's one problem the Romans actually did solve, probably because their political systems were a lot more geared towards getting politicians to kill people than they were towards enforcing regulations for seaworthiness or whatever.

Could you say more about how you feel the Romans solved piracy? My understanding was that it was a serious threat until the end of the Republic, at which point they more regularly took it on themselves to wipe out pirate bases. They continued to need to do this because piracy never went away.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Noctis Horrendae posted:

It was filthy as gently caress.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Disease. It's a malaria area, and also even with the fairly good sanitation and sewage systems it was 1-1.5 million people jammed into just a few square miles.

Also Rome is hot as gently caress in summer. The city still empties out and everything shuts down in August because it's so awful. I was there in the end of July and beginning of August and it's amazing how like just loving everybody vanishes August 1st.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

homullus posted:

Could you say more about how you feel the Romans solved piracy? My understanding was that it was a serious threat until the end of the Republic, at which point they more regularly took it on themselves to wipe out pirate bases. They continued to need to do this because piracy never went away.

It was a serious problem for the republic, much less so under the principate. For a while Roman governors of Cilicia were tasked with getting rid of pirate bases there: Mark Antony's grandfather had fought a campaign against piracy there with some success. Mark Antony's father later got a special commission to fight piracy in Crete, but did a pretty terrible job and by the sound of things just ripped off the provincials instead of actually fighting the pirates. The provincials promptly enlisted the pirates to defend them, Antony senior's fleet was sunk and he returned to Rome in some disgrace. A couple years after that Pompey received a special commission to stamp out piracy across the Mediterranean and conducted a large naval campaign where he pretty much swept across the whole sea from west to east. He did a good deal of killing pirates but he also made an effort to spare those who surrendered and resettle them, which suggests that he at least understood the pirate problem to be connected to poverty and the lack of a livelihood.

After that point we don't really hear of much piracy in the empire until Goths began to conduct raids on the Black Sea coast, and Saxons on the coasts of Britannia and northern Gaul, in the third century. It's possible that piracy continued to occur before these things, but it seems to have been much less of a problem than before Pompey's campaign. It could definitely be argued that these later barbarian pirates were a pretty similar case to the republic-era epidemic of piracy: people not economically prospering on the fringes of Roman rule, but prosperous enough to build ports, launch boats, and arm themselves just decided to take advantage of endless civil wars over Roman power to cut themselves a bigger slice of the pie.

e:

Noctis Horrendae posted:

As others have said it's a blazing hot, mosquito ridden pesthole, and was certainly a lot worse in times when the Cloaca Maxima was what passed for modern sanitation. It's not especially flat though. City of seven hills and all that

skasion fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 2, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

skasion posted:

Mark Antony's father later got a special commission to fight piracy in Crete, but did a pretty terrible job and by the sound of things just ripped off the provincials instead of actually fighting the pirates. The provincials promptly enlisted the pirates to defend them, Antony senior's fleet was sunk and he returned to Rome in some disgrace. 

:laffo: that brokedick motherfucker. I hope the folks from Crete sent a messenger back to Rome to complain about this Antonius fucker before he stumbles back in to tell the Senate how the pirates sank his loving fleet.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Elyv posted:

Travelling by ship in late fall to winter in the Mediterranean and especially around Greece is pretty unpleasant and in antiquity a one way ticket. It's notoriously stormy. If you read Herodot or Thuky, you come across things like "X set sail in November, everybody told him it's a poo poo idea. The ships were smashed on the rocks, consequently he and his men drowned" Other than that it's business as usual. Going by ship is always scary, especially if you lose sight of the coast.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I saw some suggestions once that destroying Carthage was partly a reason for an upsurge in piracy. I don't know if that's accurate beyond it making sense for the Carthaginians to go after pirates.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

FAUXTON posted:

:laffo: that brokedick motherfucker. I hope the folks from Crete sent a messenger back to Rome to complain about this Antonius fucker before he stumbles back in to tell the Senate how the pirates sank his loving fleet.

The Romans, being the original trolls, gave that particular Antony the honorific 'Creticus,' which can mean both '(Conqueror) of Crete' or 'Man of Chalk.'

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VanSandman posted:

The Romans, being the original trolls, gave that particular Antony the honorific 'Creticus,' which can mean both '(Conqueror) of Crete' or 'Man of Chalk.'

Nice!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

VanSandman posted:

Any link to the noun "cretin" or just sound similar?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Late 18th century mortality on transatlantic voyages was about 3.8%, or 1.5% per month of travel time. It sounds like a lot to me, but it wasn't enough to dissuade people like George Washington from sailing to Barbados for nonessential reasons, and subsequently nearly dying from smallpox. I imagine ancient peoples faced a similar level risk, and to a certain extent you just have shrug your shoulders and get on with your life.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cretin comes from the Latin word for christian tho French.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kassad posted:

I saw some suggestions once that destroying Carthage was partly a reason for an upsurge in piracy. I don't know if that's accurate beyond it making sense for the Carthaginians to go after pirates.

Or for the already nautically-inclined Carthaginians to turn to piracy once their city was destroyed.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I don't know, it seems that piracy didn't become a huge problem until ~70 years after Carthage was destroyed and the pirates' main bases were on the cost of southern Turkey. I think it might have been that the Carthaginians kept piracy in check and the Romans didn't really start doing that effectively until Pompey.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Kassad posted:

I don't know, it seems that piracy didn't become a huge problem until ~70 years after Carthage was destroyed and the pirates' main bases were on the cost of southern Turkey. I think it might have been that the Carthaginians kept piracy in check and the Romans didn't really start doing that effectively until Pompey.

It also helps that for many years, Romans crushed enemy kingdoms, without bothering to keep the local bureaucratic infrastructure or effectively governing the province themsellves, taxes aside. That effectecively created many impoverished communities who found that piracy was a preferable/easier way of live when the old local law enforcement vanished.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kassad posted:

The Cilician pirates became a problem after Carthago deleta erat, but notable pirate problems before them were Illyrian pirates, Tyrrhenian pirates, and of course the Sea Peoples.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

skasion posted:

Yes sure, air flight isn't really that dangerous, however, we still have a lot of people who are deathly afraid of it. To the point that they flat out refuse to travel that way, or only do it when absolutely necessary. (Not to mention general aviation, as opposed to airliners, is a quite a bit more dangerous).

It's easy to see how the fear of a travel method among prominent people could turn into a cultural distrust of it. Note that cultural distrust is not going to mean everybody buys in, there were an awful lot of sailors after all.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

There are areas where air travel isn't as safe as your average rich country English speaking internet poster is used to. Civil aviation in Africa is a better comparison.

People are just willing to take small but significant risks of it means enough convince. Sure it's a poorly maintained Brezhnev era Tupolev but it beats traveling over poorly maintained roads that may or may not be interdicted by the neighboring country's insurgency.

Travel could also be lucrative as gently caress. History is full of guys who did some serious social climbing based on what we would consider fairly small scale trade. See also: caravans to Central Asia.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Even if there aren't any pirates, there's still the possibility of storms, unfavorable winds or currents, your boat turning out to be shittily made, or just straight up getting lost, like one of the most famous epic heroes from antiquity.

I also read that Romans were also just culturally landlubbers in general, but wouldn't the people over in the eastern side of the empire stay just as marine as they were before the empire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Wasn't the expectation of a work week or day entirely different? If you're a dock worker, sure you're going to be unloading and loading all day every day, but in an era before the concept of mass production, wouldn't an artisan spend a lot of time waiting around for an order to come in?