Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My dog never had worms but I hear it's common with puppies. My family dog growing up had that though.

Dewormer seems to clean them out and devastate their stomach for a few days. When Stan got giardia, the Dewormer was almost worse than the giardia but then it cleared up after a few days. The noises and gurgle sounds were pretty incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Anyone here have experience with dog warts? Belle D. Beagle appears to have developed two impressive ones in her mouth where each of her canine teeth meet her bottom lip. Cursory googling makes it seem like it's not of major concern, but we should get it looked it. Having dealt with the human version of that stuff a few years back (hands, feet) I am a bit worried she might tear one or both open due to their size and positioning relative to her teeth.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Warbird posted:

Anyone here have experience with dog warts? Belle D. Beagle appears to have developed two impressive ones in her mouth where each of her canine teeth meet her bottom lip. Cursory googling makes it seem like it's not of major concern, but we should get it looked it. Having dealt with the human version of that stuff a few years back (hands, feet) I am a bit worried she might tear one or both open due to their size and positioning relative to her teeth.

My dog had one on his tongue once, it went away on its own after a few weeks.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there a dog bed that is especially resistant to chewing? Or that dogs just won't want to chew somehow? I have a year and a half old pooch that is still ripping up stuff like that so it's hard to find something soft for her to lay on. I might try bitter apple but thought I'd check to see if there's any better alternatives.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Snowy posted:

Is there a dog bed that is especially resistant to chewing? Or that dogs just won't want to chew somehow? I have a year and a half old pooch that is still ripping up stuff like that so it's hard to find something soft for her to lay on. I might try bitter apple but thought I'd check to see if there's any better alternatives.

Belle has a similar issue with anything stuffed. Weird question, but has your pooch ever shredded anything substantially larger than it? Mine's ignored her bed now that it's a fair sight larger than her. I have no idea if size has any play in it though.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Snowy posted:

Kong makes (made?) a bed (not the Lounger) that was made of some pretty heavy duty materials, but I don't see it on Amazon. My main complaint was that, while the outer cover came off and was washable, the inner bed was a huge fiber-fill blob that was a pain in the rear end to wash and always was lumpy after drying.

I'd love to find something tough and easy to wash.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is there a way to tell the difference peeing indoors due to nervousness or stress, and peeing indoors because of losing bladder control due to old age (or possibly unknown health issues)? I know this sounds like a sort of dumb question, but it would actually be *super helpful* right now if there's an actual answer to be had.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm sure you guys have seen these around. How terrible are they for my dog? They're his cat-nip. I've tried a lot of different kinds of treats--he's a bit of a prima donna with treats. I'm open to suggestions. I like these because they're cheap, easy, and don't make a mess/smell. They also keep him occupied for a bit

Dingo Twist Treat Sticks, Rawhide Chews With Chicken.10 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TU2Y0I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-C7wyb0R1971G

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Can anyone chime in on the Leptospirosis vaccine? My dog has been known to slurp voraciously from backyard puddles so the vet suggested it to her. She got it when she was a puppy and had a booster yesterday and lo and behold her face puffed up like a balloon. I did some digging and I'm seeing somewhat conflicting reports on this vaccine. All of the official sites say it confers a year long immunity to Leptospirosis and is suggested if a dog is at risk (see puddle drinking). Other sites suggested there was research that showed it was only providing immunity for like 2.5 weeks and then only against like 2 of the bacteria in that family. Also I live in the deep south and we don't seem to be the areas in this country most affected by these bacteria. Either way I'm leaning towards skipping it unless someone gives me some really compelling evidence. I don't need my dumb dog to choke on her dumb fat throat the next time she gets it. Any thoughts?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I'm sure you guys have seen these around. How terrible are they for my dog? They're his cat-nip. I've tried a lot of different kinds of treats--he's a bit of a prima donna with treats. I'm open to suggestions. I like these because they're cheap, easy, and don't make a mess/smell. They also keep him occupied for a bit

Dingo Twist Treat Sticks, Rawhide Chews With Chicken.10 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TU2Y0I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-C7wyb0R1971G

Rawhide in general can be bad, because dogs can swallow chunks of it and choke or stop up the works (to the point where they require surgery.) Also, with small sticks like that, the dog might wind up swallowing a pencil-length rigid stick and choke. Also, made in China - you're probably better off avoiding treats from China (though the US has its share of problems as well.)

Bully sticks tend to be more recommended, but when I gave some to my dogs, they splintered, and one of the dingbats wound up swallowing, you guessed it, a pencil-length piece. Fortunately, I was standing right there at the moment and was able to pull it out of her throat. I almost had a limited engagement puppy ownership...

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I've been using Whimzee chews, since they don't seem to splinter and they're fully digestible (potato flour instead of wheat or gluten according to the package). Couldn't give you an informed answer how safe they are versus all the other options, but they're I believe they're made in Holland for whatever that's worth. If you have a large dog though, they might be able to swallow them whole so be careful of that. (My dog is like 11 pounds, so...)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Can anyone chime in on the Leptospirosis vaccine? My dog has been known to slurp voraciously from backyard puddles so the vet suggested it to her. She got it when she was a puppy and had a booster yesterday and lo and behold her face puffed up like a balloon. I did some digging and I'm seeing somewhat conflicting reports on this vaccine. All of the official sites say it confers a year long immunity to Leptospirosis and is suggested if a dog is at risk (see puddle drinking). Other sites suggested there was research that showed it was only providing immunity for like 2.5 weeks and then only against like 2 of the bacteria in that family. Also I live in the deep south and we don't seem to be the areas in this country most affected by these bacteria. Either way I'm leaning towards skipping it unless someone gives me some really compelling evidence. I don't need my dumb dog to choke on her dumb fat throat the next time she gets it. Any thoughts?

A puffy face is 100000% better than getting Lepto.

Get the vaccine if you're even a little at risk. Most of the fear mongering about it online is from the anti-vaxxers who think your dog's gonna get autism or some poo poo.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Snowy posted:

k9 ballastics beds, or stuffing free beds such as a coolaroo or a similar PVC cot bed (there's a reason these beds are common in shelters where so many dogs would destroy the soft beds and eat all the stuffing/get it everywhere). Everything else can be destroyed.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Problem! posted:

Most of the fear mongering about it online is from the anti-vaxxers who think your dog's gonna get autism or some poo poo.
Actually it's a non-core vaccine with a higher risk of vaccine reactions than the vast majority of other canine vaccines. So some of the "fear-mongering" is based in science. Admittedly all the science on lepto and the lepto vaccines is pretty lacking.

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Does your vet know about this reaction? Do they think your dog should be vaccinated again? If your dog were my patient, I'd tell you the odds of her having a more serious reaction (like anaphylaxis) the next time she gets a lepto vaccine is a lot higher than her risk of getting lepto. But lepto prevalence is poorly studied and extremely variable by region, so your local vet is the best expert.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Crooked Booty posted:

Actually it's a non-core vaccine with a higher risk of vaccine reactions than the vast majority of other canine vaccines. So some of the "fear-mongering" is based in science. Admittedly all the science on lepto and the lepto vaccines is pretty lacking.

Does your vet know about this reaction? Do they think your dog should be vaccinated again? If your dog were my patient, I'd tell you the odds of her having a more serious reaction (like anaphylaxis) the next time she gets a lepto vaccine is a lot higher than her risk of getting lepto. But lepto prevalence is poorly studied and extremely variable by region, so your local vet is the best expert.

The vet she saw this time was relatively new to the practice. So I think next year when it's vaccine time, I'll try and speak with the other vet who is more familiar with her. I kind of want to get a second opinion though, from a veterinarian who isn't going to make money off my choosing the vaccine. I did some digging and it looks like Leptospirosis is much more common in the northern parts of the country compared to Georgia, where I live. She doesn't drink stagnant water when we're out and about either because I don't let her. It's basically just in our fenced yard where she goes hog drinking puddles when it rains. I spoke to other friends who have had dogs who also had reactions and they told me the vets they consulted said that when a dog gets Lepto its usually quite minor, and that the risk for an anaphylactic reaction next time, even with Benedryl administered, is enough to contraindicate her receiving the vaccine. So as of right now, we're going to choose not to let her have it, but that could change. I want to speak with the old vet and see how many cases of Leptospirosis infection they have seen first.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have a 6 year old malamute/border collie cross and he's never needed to go to the toilet particularly often (rarely more than 2-3 times a day). Recently, however, we get up, take him out for a run where he'll do 2-3 shits and piss on pretty much everything he can, then he doesn't need the toilet for the rest of the day and so has ended up doing all his business within the same 1 hour or so slot every 24 hours.

He seems happy, isn't constipated and doesn't have diarrhoea, and he's eating normally. Is this anything to be concerned about? Or am I just lucky?

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 25, 2016

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
My 14 year old dachshund has started peeing all over the place and drinking a lot of water. My mom currently has her. I'm thinking diabetes but you guys have any other ideas?

My mom is kind of an idiot and gives her human food (along with those plastic , and in my opinion she's overweight, I think last time I took her to the vet (omg I don't even want to tell this story it is so bad), she was around 18 pounds. She is so heavy when I lift her. I honestly want to take her to the vet myself since my mom doesn't want to.

Do you guys have any other ideas? Do you think she can have diabetes, or could it be something else? I just wanna know what to say when either me or my mom take her to the vet.

Summary: my mom is stupid and I am not.

Oh also her poo is always white, not brown. What is up with that.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 25, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yo take that dog to the vet

Like, sooner than later

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Thin Privilege posted:

My 14 year old dachshund has started peeing all over the place and drinking a lot of water. My mom currently has her. I'm thinking diabetes but you guys have any other ideas?

My mom is kind of an idiot and gives her human food (along with those plastic , and in my opinion she's overweight, I think last time I took her to the vet (omg I don't even want to tell this story it is so bad), she was around 18 pounds. She is so heavy when I lift her. I honestly want to take her to the vet myself since my mom doesn't want to.

Do you guys have any other ideas? Do you think she can have diabetes, or could it be something else? I just wanna know what to say when either me or my mom take her to the vet.

Summary: my mom is stupid and I am not.

Oh also her poo is always white, not brown. What is up with that.

You don't need to know what the dog has before you go to the vet, that's the vet's job to tell you what's going on with your dog. You don't say "my dog has diabetes" you say exactly the symptoms you just described and your vet tells you if that sounds like diabetes or something else.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

The vet she saw this time was relatively new to the practice. So I think next year when it's vaccine time, I'll try and speak with the other vet who is more familiar with her. I kind of want to get a second opinion though, from a veterinarian who isn't going to make money off my choosing the vaccine. I did some digging and it looks like Leptospirosis is much more common in the northern parts of the country compared to Georgia, where I live. She doesn't drink stagnant water when we're out and about either because I don't let her. It's basically just in our fenced yard where she goes hog drinking puddles when it rains. I spoke to other friends who have had dogs who also had reactions and they told me the vets they consulted said that when a dog gets Lepto its usually quite minor, and that the risk for an anaphylactic reaction next time, even with Benedryl administered, is enough to contraindicate her receiving the vaccine. So as of right now, we're going to choose not to let her have it, but that could change. I want to speak with the old vet and see how many cases of Leptospirosis infection they have seen first.

The bolded is the only part I take issue with. If a dog actually has an active Leptosporosis infection it is a nasty disease. AND it's zoonotic (meaning humans can be infected with it). So to me that's not good information. I can't really argue whether your individual dog should or shouldn't receive the vaccination, especially in light of having had a reaction to it in the past, but out of all of the arguments that I can think of for not giving it (it only covers a few of the serovars, dogs can get the disease despite being vaccinated though it's usually milder, aforementioned vaccine reactions), lack of severity of the disease is not one of them.

edit: also if you think your veterinarian could be putting your dog's health at more risk because they are going to make $15 off of a vaccine or whatever, you need to either get some perspective or a new vet. They could make a lot more money off of all of the testing and hospitalization if your dog gets Lepto. :D

Sekhmet fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 26, 2016

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yo take that dog to the vet

Like, sooner than later

Organza Quiz posted:

You don't need to know what the dog has before you go to the vet, that's the vet's job to tell you what's going on with your dog. You don't say "my dog has diabetes" you say exactly the symptoms you just described and your vet tells you if that sounds like diabetes or something else.

For sure, I'm taking her this week, already made an appointment. I'm not going to go in being like SHE HAS DIABETES I KNOW WHAT IS UP! I was just wondering if any of you had a similar situation and had any insight.

Snout in question:

She's a good dog.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have an update on the dogs I was rehoming, I've found a home. With me. They ended up back at my mothers house for a while and she was trying as well but No one wanted the greyhound x whippet, and there is no way they can be separated. I have a chalkie pup and they got along champion with her so we spent the last few weeks putting in new high fencing and putting locks and dog gates in the house so they can't get to my birds and everything is sorted. :D

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

learnincurve posted:

I have an update on the dogs I was rehoming, I've found a home. With me. They ended up back at my mothers house for a while and she was trying as well but No one wanted the greyhound x whippet, and there is no way they can be separated. I have a chalkie pup and they got along champion with her so we spent the last few weeks putting in new high fencing and putting locks and dog gates in the house so they can't get to my birds and everything is sorted. :D

What the hell is a chalkie

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I am as embarrassed as I should be whenever I explain what she is. She's a chihuahua x Yorkie and looks like an Ewok crossed with a loaf of bread. Only toy breed with absolutely zero genetic problems - some of these designer mix breeds inherit all of them from both sides. Amazingly not as embarrassing to explain what she is than it was when people asked me what the hell my old Chinese crested powderpuff was meant to be.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

learnincurve posted:

She's a chihuahua x Yorkie...... Only toy breed with absolutely zero genetic problems.
lol

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
A vet once told me that my Chinese crested was "a good example of the breed because she doesn't have a double row of teeth" :( still died at 6 years though :(

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

learnincurve posted:

I am as embarrassed as I should be whenever I explain what she is. She's a chihuahua x Yorkie and looks like an Ewok crossed with a loaf of bread. Only toy breed with absolutely zero genetic problems - some of these designer mix breeds inherit all of them from both sides.

Both of these breeds have predispositions towards patellar luxation, granulomatous meningoencephalitis, occipito-atlanto-axial malformations (most commonly leading to luxation of C1-C2), portovenous shunting....I could go on. But nope, definitely not zero genetic problems.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Separately yes, but when you mix breeds curious things happen. After my poor Vanas I did my research on the cross breeds to make sure my heart wouldn't get broken again. if she had been a Chinese crested crossed with a chihuahua then yes, she would have been a horror show. Another bad example is German Shepard crossed with border collie, but a border collie crossed with a Corgie will go on forever. I got no problem with people not liking her because she's a little yappy handbag dog, but she's a rat-thing that will continue to annoy friends and family for at least 15 years :)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Separately yes, but when you mix breeds curious things happen

Yeah. it could pick up problems from both parents...or none. It's certainly no guarantee and especially if you don't know how healthy the parents were.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Stop wishing death upon my adorable puppy :shakefirst: Seriously though, I did it all the right way. Took a year and walked away from 6 litters, either because I didn't like the condition they were being kept in or I didn't like the look of the parents. Of course she could get problems with stuff like her joints becoming stiff in old age associated with all toy breeds, the aim was to find a small dog capable of living long enough to get age related issues. I've done the rescue thing with the Chinese crested and learned the value of providence the hard way I'm afraid. On the other side Grandma's dogs are complete farm dog mutts.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Sekhmet posted:

Both of these breeds have predispositions towards patellar luxation, granulomatous meningoencephalitis, occipito-atlanto-axial malformations (most commonly leading to luxation of C1-C2), portovenous shunting....I could go on. But nope, definitely not zero genetic problems.
Maybe you should read up a little on animal genetics before posting misinformation in this thread. Mods??

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

^^lmao

I'm really not trying to wish death on your dog. I'm simply saying that there's nothing special about that mix as compared to others. A puppy that is a mix between a chihuahua and a yorkie is just as prone to getting the common diseases as one that is a mix between a border collie and a GSD. End of story. There's nothing genetically different about them, they are all dogs and many of the disease-causing alleles across breeds are ancestral to dogs, meaning they come from before the breeds really were split off.

edit for source: I am a veterinarian who does canine genetic disease research in an academic lab that develops tests for genetic diseases in dogs. I spend a large part of my day analyzing genetic data within and across breeds.

Sekhmet fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 2, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm admittedly clinging to anacdotal evidence in hope because of what happened with the Chinese crested. At least this time I can say I did my best to avoid anything unpleasant in the future as I got to see both parents + the grandmother and they all looked happy and healthy, plus I didn't buy off of the Internet. Bonzo the big dog is actually half crufts winning whippet, half the breeder's son's lamping dog (sighthound) who got accidentally left in the yard while said lad went off to the pub. Imagine his father's surprise.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sekhmet posted:

^^lmao

I'm really not trying to wish death on your dog. I'm simply saying that there's nothing special about that mix as compared to others. A puppy that is a mix between a chihuahua and a yorkie is just as prone to getting the common diseases as one that is a mix between a border collie and a GSD. End of story. There's nothing genetically different about them, they are all dogs and many of the disease-causing alleles across breeds are ancestral to dogs, meaning they come from before the breeds really were split off.

edit for source: I am a veterinarian who does canine genetic disease research in an academic lab that develops tests for genetic diseases in dogs. I spend a large part of my day analyzing genetic data within and across breeds.

great, why don't you mansplain some more about dog breeding. smh

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

don't gaslight me tia

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007
~hybrid vigour is only a thing in plants~
(and the parents looking good is no indicator as to whatever underlying issues they may have)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Where can I get me one of these here supergene hybrids

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Supercondescending posted:

Where can I get me one of these here supergene hybrids

Your local animal shelter. American Brown Dogs are supposed to be amazingly healthy.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Cythereal posted:

Your local animal shelter. American Brown Dogs are supposed to be amazingly healthy.

Would you recommend that I adopt, rather than shop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Supercondescending posted:

Would you recommend that I adopt, rather than shop?

I would, even though I know you're not being terribly serious. If it's a good shelter, then the staff are familiar with their animals and their medical profiles, histories, and personalities, and can help you make a much more informed decision.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no meaningful reason to go to a breeder for any kind of pet unless it's a kind that there aren't shelters for in your area.