Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Bardin does a goddamn Kruber Impression.
And then he sputters indecipherably. :allears:

I know it's been said before, but Fat Shark really nailed the characters in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Lunethex posted:

I tried to make them relatable. I've already caught a bit of flak for my "adderall infested bath salt induced parkinsons gameplay" a couple places. There's a couple missed details or undone things like curving Trueflight & Bolt Staff shots and better timing on them, the Rapier being Lv.1 Push & Not Lv.2 which I misremembered at the time. Health bars were active to show things actually dying or how it was performing overall on its own versus the usual encounters, you get the idea. There's so much more to it than what the videos showcase but hopefully the ultimate goal of getting people informed on the strengths of the weapons helps.

I believe one such criticism is that I don't show any downsides of the weapons but I fail to actually be bothered by even the more obvious deficiencies. You have a lot of tools at your disposal, such as dodging when aiming your Brace of Pistols or Volley Bow alt fire, dodging just after swinging while blocking, lots of little things.

Later today, and I'll link it up myself if I'm still awake, I have 4 punchy videos on the specials coming up showing the core ideas and mindset you should have when they become an active element in the game. After that I have one video I need to get around to pushing out which is an all encompassing Pro Tips video. Literally pro at that. It has 3 subjects that will be gone over as simply as the special videos I did will be.

1. Dodging
_When to dodge
_How to dodge
_What efficient count means
_Stamina doesn't regenerate if you spam dodge
_How to maneuver the hordes as a killer

2. Blocking & Pushing
_Covers all angles
_Block while reviving
_Push covers all angles too
_Devastating Blow's Key Function (Stopping a Stormvermin cleave)
_When to push
_Block when picking up items, and in Elf's case always block everywhere you go

3. Teamwork
_Giving items to your team
_How to work with your Striker and Controller, as Coolguy puts it
_Pinging items and enemies

I thought of doing a Trinket overview and even a Weapon perk overview. There may be a trinket video but weapon perks are probably even better left to writing. Even the trinket one may not happen but 1 person did ask.

This will be amazing and very much appreciated.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Well you could narrate general trinket and trait advice (to keep it brief enough) over footage of you completely demolishing a level with your sick optimization. Then link to the wall of text in the description.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Packmaster Overview
Globadier Overview
Gutter Runner Overview
Ratling Gunner Overview

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Lunethex, prior to grouping with you today the highest level player I'd ever seen in game was 472. What the gently caress.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If there's one good thing about the massive delay before the beam staff starts damaging an enemy, it's that it's also way less likely to cause friendly fire, which I've noticed after rather stupidly running into the beam and not getting damaged by it

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I know in an academic kinda way that Beam Staff locks specials and individual storms up and kills them over time. I have no notion why you'd do this when with any other staff in the game you could just Kill Those Guys Now but folk sure seem to have their preferences.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

They also removed the armor penetration from the beam staff's normal fireblast attack so it has an infinitely shittier time of killing patrols while under the effect of Strength potions. Used to be you left clicked 3-4 times and it all died but now not 1 can die when I tried on NM, last I saw.

Not gonna lie but I think they may have done something to Sienna's staves in terms of the Poison Flask trinket too but until I double check that for the Trinket overview video I'm not going to be able to comment, but when I made the weapon overview for her I noticed poison flask had a really hard time triggering or just wouldn't, especially on Conflag, which should have utterly melted the ogre.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

I know in an academic kinda way that Beam Staff locks specials and individual storms up and kills them over time. I have no notion why you'd do this when with any other staff in the game you could just Kill Those Guys Now but folk sure seem to have their preferences.

This is the thing. the beam staff holds you in place for 5-8 solid seconds while you kill one special, which is not only longer than it takes for most other staves to kill them, but also prevents you from moving around at the same time and creates a solid line in between you and the enemy that teammates cannot cross without breaking it. Its left click has a niche that no other staff can quite fill the same way, but overall it is the worst staff right now.

One player locking themselves and one enemy in stasis for a long time is a horrible trade in a game where handguns, crossbows, bolt staff, and the trueflight exist.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I had some elf with either the longbow or swiftbow who kept shooting through me on nightmare and would do a huge amount of ff damage because he was applying multiple "ticks" of small damage every time he shot at something. after losing like 3 full pips of health to his stupid useless arrows I asked him to stop ffing. guess what the elf pubbie decided to do! (hint: not stop, act like a dick about it)

that's my vermintide story for today

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Digirat posted:

This is the thing. the beam staff holds you in place for 5-8 solid seconds while you kill one special, which is not only longer than it takes for most other staves to kill them, but also prevents you from moving around at the same time and creates a solid line in between you and the enemy that teammates cannot cross without breaking it. Its left click has a niche that no other staff can quite fill the same way, but overall it is the worst staff right now.

One player locking themselves and one enemy in stasis for a long time is a horrible trade in a game where handguns, crossbows, bolt staff, and the trueflight exist.

At least they fixed Skirmisher for it :haw:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
yeahhh rolled the orange globe reduction trinket. can save my keys for something else now!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

It's only the Handgun, which is now, you know, actually good because it's basically a Brace of Pistols that has to deal with reloading but in return has innate Rupture.

Which is kinda a good trade.

Oh also they made the bullet spray shotgun attack on the Repeater Pistol weaker so it can't shotgun blast a Stormvermin into paste at close range on Nightmare anymore which was previously the only good thing it did outside of magdumping Roger. lol.

Are you sure? Spreadsheet says 2 damage per bullet sprayed, times 8 bullets, makes 16 damage for a dead Stormvermin. I've been shotgun blasting NM Storms with my orange Repeater happily.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I really like the rapid fire pistol for the witch hunter, granted i already own orange brace of pistols and got the rapid fire pistol by mistake but i really like its alt fire. I don't like how the brace of pistols forces you to stand still and i rolled 25% faster reloading so i feel the rapid fire pistol will be better in the long run esp with blood lust and knockback.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SuperKlaus posted:

Are you sure? Spreadsheet says 2 damage per bullet sprayed, times 8 bullets, makes 16 damage for a dead Stormvermin. I've been shotgun blasting NM Storms with my orange Repeater happily.

Might've changed it back since the beta. I just remember trying it out there, the shotgun not killing it, and going 'Welp only reason to ever use this thing is gone'.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Arghy posted:

I really like the rapid fire pistol for the witch hunter, granted i already own orange brace of pistols and got the rapid fire pistol by mistake but i really like its alt fire. I don't like how the brace of pistols forces you to stand still and i rolled 25% faster reloading so i feel the rapid fire pistol will be better in the long run esp with blood lust and knockback.

It won't because the repeater pistol's damage is so poo poo that it can't kill a cataclysm slave rat with a headshot.

The brace outdamages it by far, loses no accuracy from movement which lets it compete with kruber's repeater handgun for best run-and-gun weapon in the game, and has better ammo efficiency because it can actually kill clan rats in one bodyshot on NM and one headshot on cataclysm.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I rolled really pretty great regrowth/hail of doom/master crafted repeater pistol.

I never use it because:

Digirat posted:

the repeater pistol's damage is so poo poo that it can't kill a cataclysm slave rat with a headshot.

...and now it can't even kill storms on NM reliably with secondary fire. I really like the 1.5 patch overall but drat the repeater pistol was an unecessary casualty.

If you think the repeater pistol is good now for incidental run and gunning, then you are going to poo poo yourself blind when you rock out with your first volley crossbow.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have barely played since the 1.5 patch dropped. Did they redesign the hitbox for the Stormvermin's head? Seems a lot trickier to hit now.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah its pretty loving terrible just did a few runs with it on hard and it can only kill slaves with body shots. Gonna stick with my brace of pistols and keep it encase it gets buffed.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
How does the community feel to you long time players? I bought the DLC and loaded up for the first time since before the Bounty system was released and in my second game some dude complained about "carrying dead weights."

It was my first time playing a DLC map :mad:

The next game was just a bunch of people silently doing their jobs which I liked :)

e: I remember Mass Effect 3's MP being a shitshow at silver and mostly decent playing folk at gold. Maybe I should just try diving into Nightmare.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 3, 2017

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Nechronic posted:

e: I remember Mass Effect 3's MP being a shitshow at silver and mostly decent playing folk at gold. Maybe I should just try diving into Nightmare.

There's definite parallels between this and ME3. I've only been playing a week, but now that i've got some half decent weapons and i know the loadouts I like, anything short of Hard seems to just attract idiots.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

There is not a difficulty mode in this game that will give you an idiot-free experience. Cataclysm will at least kill them quickly but that's the best it gets.

edit: I got Kruber's red arming sword and man somehow these things are getting worse with each one I get. I've never even seen Sword & Dagger on the list though.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 3, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There is not a difficulty mode in this game that will give you an idiot-free experience. Cataclysm will at least kill them quickly but that's the best it gets.

edit: I got Kruber's red arming sword and man somehow these things are getting worse with each one I get. I've never even seen Sword & Dagger on the list though.

Throw Kerillian's Everbeak trinket into a slot and it will pop up eventually in the loot tables.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Nechronic posted:

How does the community feel to you long time players? I bought the DLC and loaded up for the first time since before the Bounty system was released and in my second game some dude complained about "carrying dead weights."

It was my first time playing a DLC map :mad:

I've had a few saltbags here and there (most vocally when someone skunked a 2grim 3tome run by throwing a firebomb at the party's feet in the finale of horn of magnus) but Vermintide has one of the most overwhelmingly friendly communities I've seen in any game this side of a kid's Minecraft server.

edit; and i feel this warrants special mention but I mostly play bright wizard and boy howdy after that third beer i really do not give a single gently caress if i shoot you or the rats, i'm not trying to shoot you, but... well, this isn't Fallujah. They're all vermin in this game, ya feel me? We can let loose in this here Vermintide game, ya feel me? My point is: if anyone would be a rage magnet, its me. I have not magnetized any rage in the community that I am aware of. You, by comparison, are probably fine if not much better than me. You're probably doing much better.

Everyone's just real glad to be with each other and smacking rats in this here game, RatSmacker 3000. Its a perfect middle ground of:

--people who like the game
--people who haplessly and helplessly enjoy GW properties and all they entail
--people who like the PvE aspects of L4D

And all those people are generally really chill to play videogames with. Rounds like you describe are, IME, gigantic and noteworthy outliers.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 3, 2017

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Nechronic posted:

Yes. Correct. You'll eat poo poo at first, but: have a conversation about your hard time with your rando pubbies. They're mostly probably really good people who like talking about Vermintide!

e; i just busted a gut IRL thinking of the kind of person who whines about "carrying dead weight" in Hard difficulty. here's a guy soloing one of the sloggier levels in Cataclysm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8-OktV3y2s

gently caress the person you describe. they're garbage. the community is great, but that one person is piquant hot garbo.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 3, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

without fail if someone is complaining about their teammates they're probably an idiot who isn't all that good either

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Recently I learned the definition of elf pubbie that our Goonintide has described in the past. He was consistently disbanded from the group (we go right, he goes left), always running ahead, he was level 31. In Cursed Rune when we dropped down to the ice lake in a swarm, he went down and quit.

Just as I was about to kick him funnily enough.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

without fail if someone is complaining about their teammates they're probably an idiot who isn't all that good either

this but also in all things IRL and not just in videogames. once you start noticing it its uncanny

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I have two videos now awaiting commentary from me & coolguy, the Beginner's Tips, Teamwork & Core Mechanics video as promised, and a Red Weapon overview, and boy that was more annoying than I thought it'd be, the reds. The red one actually gives us perfect time to talk about weapon perks because it's just me holding up each one, we'll talk about them all, if it's a unique perk setup, and how it compares to oranges, and we can fit in other cool insight there.

You may think that's not the most interesting video but someone LP'd Diablo 2 as a Necromancer summoning skeletons and absolutely refused to click on enemies so there's no reason we can't have a mellow Weapons Chat, especially since it was a request :v:

I will also prepare a Rat Ogre video by request and see about Trinkets. Other than that, when-if all 4 of these get done I think that covers all video related projects that I feel necessary for Vermintide, and all that would be left is a massive series of writeups and the new thread :)

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I just bought this game. I'll watch the videos!!!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I just noticed this playlist has over 4000 views already :prepop:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

those videos are way more effort than pretty much anyone else has bothered to put into explaining the intricacies of the game, so i'm not surprised.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would not run around in public nightmare games unless you know what you're doing. Like it or not, if you're just starting out and don't know anything, you are putting a burden on other players to carry you on nightmare unless you're extremely good from the get go (which some people are). Experienced players can carry bad ones but medium-skill ones probably can't. Hard is completely doable with white weapons, while you have to be very good to beat nightmare with whites, which means getting blues from hard will make your life much easier. Unless you're playing with friends/goons or are already great, learn the fundamentals on hard.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I met this Dwarf at level 19 who joined my game in Wizard's Tower, and I was wary at first but I saw the guy playing like he'd played for hundreds of hours. But he didn't. I checked his profile after I asked if he was part of a secret society of veteran players who modded their levels back to very low levels to make people think even low levels can be good. He was one of the fiercest loving dwarfs I've ever seen with his blue Hammer & Shield, he took the 2nd least amount of damage in the game and was 2nd in most kills.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Johnny Joestar posted:

those videos are way more effort than pretty much anyone else has bothered to put into explaining the intricacies of the game, so i'm not surprised.

Interestingly, the shares analytics are incredibly bad on both the playlist and the individual videos. So either YouTube is terrible at tracking shares or most of the traffic there is organic from the rest of the site. My working guess is the latter due to some other analytic data, but I won't go into details right now since I'm sure everyone whose not me finds it boring as gently caress.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Lunethex posted:

I have two videos now awaiting commentary from me & coolguy, the Beginner's Tips, Teamwork & Core Mechanics video as promised, and a Red Weapon overview, and boy that was more annoying than I thought it'd be, the reds. The red one actually gives us perfect time to talk about weapon perks because it's just me holding up each one, we'll talk about them all, if it's a unique perk setup, and how it compares to oranges, and we can fit in other cool insight there.

You may think that's not the most interesting video but someone LP'd Diablo 2 as a Necromancer summoning skeletons and absolutely refused to click on enemies so there's no reason we can't have a mellow Weapons Chat, especially since it was a request :v:

I will also prepare a Rat Ogre video by request and see about Trinkets. Other than that, when-if all 4 of these get done I think that covers all video related projects that I feel necessary for Vermintide, and all that would be left is a massive series of writeups and the new thread :)

Whilst dropping your Forbidden Knowledges uponst some pubbies during a map (iirc we were talking about Gutter Runner spawns and why they were so wacky) I guess I made friends with some kinda GamerClan this afternoon and the Senior Nerd or whatever he calls himself was chilling with me in TeamSpeak while bringing his two buddies up through Hard missions so they could do NM runs with the bounty board. And he was repeating some stuff I said to him earlier and they were saying some things that were in your videos and during a break one of them watched the WH ranged video.

My point is: you're helping people understand Vermintide 1st, 2nd, and 3rd hand. The only bad move is to stop making Vermintide videos, ever. IMO.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The rats chats channel has videos of cataclysm games with all books using only white weapons, and one of the players is level 30-something. Some people were born to ratchop.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's one thing for some rube on reddit to make a textblock about how some weapon is secretly good and another thing entirely for a fairly detailed video to show how exactly the weapon handles and how much damage it can do to various things, so the videos count for a lot

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

Whilst dropping your Forbidden Knowledges uponst some pubbies during a map (iirc we were talking about Gutter Runner spawns and why they were so wacky) I guess I made friends with some kinda GamerClan this afternoon and the Senior Nerd or whatever he calls himself was chilling with me in TeamSpeak while bringing his two buddies up through Hard missions so they could do NM runs with the bounty board. And he was repeating some stuff I said to him earlier and they were saying some things that were in your videos and during a break one of them watched the WH ranged video.

My point is: you're helping people understand Vermintide 1st, 2nd, and 3rd hand. The only bad move is to stop making Vermintide videos, ever. IMO.

Things I have seen Gutter Runners do consistently:

1. Spawn in the sky and already be in a leap towards players. Sometimes they die when they miss.
2. Randomly jumping and moving at 10x speed for no reason.
3. Going straight into leaps without any build up and walking in another direction.
4. Spawning behind players and coming out of walls.
5. LEAPING in mid-animation climbing over obstacles straight at a player, also at higher speed than usual.
6. Smoke bombing but not actually teleporting and instantly pouncing at someone with no build up.

A good bug is when a Gutter Runner leaps upward into the air, they always die and explode.

Please for the love of god do not take my Anti-Gutter trinket when I play public games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
So it was noted that Regrowth on a X & Shield's charge attack is bad because the additional targets hit beyond the first will not trigger Regrowth. Is this true for the 2H Hammer or 1H hammer on it's charge attack? They infinite targets but don't deal damage to any but the first two, so will Regrowth or Heroic Killing Blow not trigger on these extra rats hit?

• Locked thread