Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

no bones about it posted:

What in the gently caress are you going to do with oil wrench pliers on a plane

Beat someone to death with them? That's what they told me when they confiscated my network crimpers because they were too long of a metal object.

Edit: Unless you were asking why he didn't check them, in which case I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Hatter posted:

Beat someone to death with them? That's what they told me when they confiscated my network crimpers because they were too long of a metal object.

Edit: Unless you were asking why he didn't check them, in which case I have no idea.

Because they burned in the jeep and all my trophies got stuffed in my carry on

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lmfao galaxy note 7 is not allowed on the plane

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

who are the poor bastards in the fallout zone of your pepper bacon gases

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

who are the poor bastards in the fallout zone of your pepper bacon gases

I'm dead center of the wing on a canadair regional jet short bus haha

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I'm dead center of the wing on a canadair regional jet short bus haha

So how long until you breakdown screaming about the man on the wing of the plane?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Checked bag right?

The answer is some TSA agent remembered he had to change his oil this week and figured you wouldn't notice them missing for a while

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

Checked bag right?

The answer is some TSA agent remembered he had to change his oil this week and figured you wouldn't notice them missing for a while

He said it was in his carry on, with the other burned jeep trophies. I think the big case of tools is for the non-burned, functional tools.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I flew last month with a pair of fishing braid shears in my jacket pocket.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hello Minneapolis-st. Paul OR SHOULD I SAY UNICRON INTERNATIONAL

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Hello Minneapolis-st. Paul OR SHOULD I SAY UNICRON INTERNATIONAL

That place reminds me of a shopping mall with airplanes instead of tour buses.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Fist class is pretty nice

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Keep asking for stuff, they do not say no.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
"Do you have ghost pepper garlic pickled quail eggs?"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Some poor salaryman is going to get that seat on the next leg and arrive wondering how his pants dissolved.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
"I'm sorry, everyone, we are unable to take off today on account of an engine that refuses to start."

...14" unbuckles his seatbelt and proceeds to stride confidently towards the cockpit...

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

19 o'clock posted:

"I'm sorry, everyone, we are unable to take off today on account of an engine that refuses to start."

...14" unbuckles his seatbelt and proceeds to stride confidently towards the cockpit...

I think you've missed the context of the past few posts, add in some (barely enough) technical knowledge to know how turbines start...aaaaand I produce this:

19 o'clock posted:

...14" unbuckles his seatbelt and proceeds to stride confidently towards the front of the failing engine...

fixed.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

I wanted to go that route but was trying to remain fairly grounded (hehe).

My original draft involves landing gear failing and 14 diving below the cabin, gathering his tools from luggage, and improvising a solution during descent.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Except that when he pops open the cover for the engine, instead of a turbojet, it's CVCC.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
14 had been present for every major mechanical failure throughout history. He always tries to save the day, but each time he finds its the reincarnated implementation of an air cooled VW engine that traveled back in time for some reason.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Sounds like you're getting the full treatment.

You're name among the halls of legends will be known as 14 the Magnanimous. I've silently followed this thread and truly I'm happy with the outcome. AI goons are among the finest folks on the Internet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

19 o'clock posted:

Dude, most people prefer a non starting engine over one that is on fire.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Aww man, MSP is a sweet airport. I'm a bit biased (it's my hometown airport).

This is an awesome thread and everything that happened in it is awesome. I'm looking forward to Rosie reunion pics :3:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Dave!
The man they call Dave!
He turned every wrench and built Sims a truck
Stood up to the wind and din't give a gently caress
Our love for him now, weren't hardly foreseen,
The hero of AI, the man they call 14!

Now Dave saw the split rim wheels loomin'
He saw Sims' pending regret
And Danno and Dave was a-roomin'
While Dave's quail egg farts sounded wet.

Dave said "These aren't the worst of my quagmires.
I'll swap engine, and wiring, and those tires."
He put on his Carhartts
and ripped out some huge farts
Then built poo poo, and set several fires.

He pulled poo poo from cars in Dan's yard for the truck,
slogged through the build while all covered in muck.

Now here is what separates heroes
from common folk like you and I.
The man they call Dave,
with a rant and a rave,
made that 350 roar second try.

He dropped it into the dumptruck.
He dropped it into the field.
The man they call Dave,
he was awesome and brave,
and his effort paid off massive yield!

Here we go!
Dave!
The man they call Dave!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

HandlingByJebus posted:

Dave!
The man they call Dave!

Came here to post my own tribute, and I gotta follow that act. Sheesh. :argh:

Anyways, more than a few goons have asked me if they can get their black-thumbed mitts on that ghost pepper sauce 14's been chugging. Sadly, no, that was the last of the 2016 run. But I did still have some habanero puree from this season, and, well, this just happened

(Carrots are the usual base for habanero sauce, but after staring at the word so long while futzing with the label, all I see is Car Rot. So I guess it's still pretty AI)

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 2, 2017

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

19 o'clock posted:

Nothing a bit of carb cleaner can't fix.

(And yes, he needs to spray it into the front of jet while the pilot cranks it).

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

steady posted:

Nothing a bit of carb cleaner can't fix.

(And yes, he needs to spray it into the front of jet from his mouth while the pilot cranks it).

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

14 BAR RIFF posted:

That's just the new TSA practices

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
:golfclap:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

:vince:

So many jokes on so many levels

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yessss

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Time for another name change

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well, it seems that at long last, the sister threads have become separate....For now.
Perhaps one day again the Nu-Beetle will be making an appearance in the wastes. Given how the vehicle Dave took out there ended up, I think that would be a merciful end for that thing.

But anyways, back to the truck. I've been trying to sit down and plan out the best way to run an exhaust on this thing. So, far, after extensive browsing of the Summit website, I think I've come up with a pretty simple plan.
Originally I wanted to try and go up and over the engine into one pipe, but due to the way the passenger manifold sits, with it's angled outlet, I don't think that's gonna work. The other option here is to get some rams horn manifolds, and run those upside down, but I think I'd run into clearance issues with the hood going that route.

So, I'm thinking instead, what I'll do, is buy some of these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-12061
And just go down, 90 over and just run two exhausts. Parts seem to be cheap enough, and I'm pretty sure I get the local machinist to weld it up nicely.

So, so far what I'm thinking I'll need are:
Pipe: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-49008

U Bends: AS SEEN ABOVE

Mufflers X2: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17889

Connectors/clamps?: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-41957 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aph-as212

Bends: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-670178 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sch-2545

I've never actually built my own exhaust before, but hey, I run refrigerant lines for a living, so it's pretty similar right?
The only thing I'm not sure on is what to do with the passenger side. I'm pretty sure I've got enough room to do a U and down there, but I'm not sure if it's an exact 45* angle, so I'm wondering if I should buy a Flex piece as well?
Not that it has to be perfect, just straight enough not to drag and long enough to exit under the cab.

Of course, we still have the original issue of the brake pedal hitting said manifold too. But, according to Dave, we should be able to grind the end of it down to get some clearance. The oldtimers over at Stovebolt seem to say this as well, so I think we'll be sticking with the van's manifolds.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

You can buy flexible metal exhaust hose which you just slide over normal pipe and clamp.
Since this only has to last for a short time then why not use that to get from the manifolds 14 fitted down to a solid Y or T section and then a silencer. Hang it using exhaust clamps and perforated strip brackets.

Easy to build while lying in a field in Nebraska...

I ran a complete exhaust made from the flexy stuff on my landrover for about 5 years. Bits would rot out every 6-12 months and I would just cut them out and join/replace

Edit - like this http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/flexible-exhaust-pipe-38mm

Doesn't need welding. Buy an I/D that fits over the O/D of the pipes you are working to.

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 3, 2017

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Came here to post my own tribute, and I gotta follow that act. Sheesh. :argh:

Anyways, more than a few goons have asked me if they can get their black-thumbed mitts on that ghost pepper sauce 14's been chugging. Sadly, no, that was the last of the 2016 run. But I did still have some habanero puree from this season, and, well, this just happened

(Carrots are the usual base for habanero sauce, but after staring at the word so long while futzing with the label, all I see is Car Rot. So I guess it's still pretty AI)

Please tell me you'll be selling some of this soon.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Tomarse posted:

You can buy flexible metal exhaust hose which you just slide over normal pipe and clamp.
Since this only has to last for a short time then why not use that to get from the manifolds 14 fitted down to a solid Y or T section and then a silencer. Hang it using exhaust clamps and perforated strip brackets.

Easy to build while lying in a field in Nebraska...

I ran a complete exhaust made from the flexy stuff on my landrover for about 5 years. Bits would rot out every 6-12 months and I would just cut them out and join/replace

Edit - like this http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/flexible-exhaust-pipe-38mm

Doesn't need welding. Buy an I/D that fits over the O/D of the pipes you are working to.

Huh. Like I said, Never done exhaust stuff much before.
But hey, 10' of 2.5". Right there: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-49075/overview/

Well, that makes things easy.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

ExplodingSims posted:

Huh. Like I said, Never done exhaust stuff much before.
But hey, 10' of 2.5". Right there: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-49075/overview/

Well, that makes things easy.

Easy is what you want!

is 2 mufflers gonna be easier than a Y section to join both sides?. Are there any convenient outriggers or bits of chassis you could hang mufflers from to side exit just behind the cab?

Remember that you need to be careful to work with compatible I/D and O/D of pipes or buy any appropriate reducer sections. You want to push the flex pipe over the parts you have or add in.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It's a shame Dan moved because that dude seriously knew how to lay some pipe

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Could you run some forward and down headers, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

14 BAR RIFF posted:

It's a shame Dan moved because that dude seriously knew how to lay some pipe

Have you been reading my slashfic? :tinfoil:

• Locked thread