Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Hammerite posted:

B-b-b-but what if I find a shiny Abra?!

Put your trust in the Quick Ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There is nothing to kick off the new year quite like a wonder trade that nets you a shiny Comfey in a love ball called "HangYourself"...

I think it was a thematic mistake to give it perfect IVs tho.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Do egg moves not pass to Pokémon of the same species? Only to Pokémon of the other species that can learn the move?

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

JackDarko posted:

Do egg moves not pass to Pokémon of the same species? Only to Pokémon of the other species that can learn the move?

They do.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

JackDarko posted:

This is incorrect.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

What is the purpose of the Strange Souvenir, and why is it so expensive?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

To bilk tourists.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.
Figured you all are smarter than me and might be able to figure this mystery out: was battling in the Battle Tree and fought Hiker Cleavant with a Palossand, Hydregion and a Liligant. His Hydregion was somehow immune to both confusion (or at least Swagger) and Thunder Wave from my Klefki. I re fought with Battle Video, and confirmed that he was immune. I used Theif to steal his item and he had a Dragon Fang, and used Gastro Acid to remove his ability (which is Levitate, confirmed by Ground moves missing). Neither had any effect - he was still immune to both status moves. Does Battle Tree literally cheat this much or what gives?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Dark types are immune to prankster-boosted status moves

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Your Klefki's ability is Prankster, and status moves from a pokemon with Prankster don't affect dark-type pokemon like Hydreigon in Sun and Moon.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.
Perfect! Thanks. Sad that my incredibly unfair battle points grinder has been nerfed but good to know.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Why is every pokemon I catch going into box 8 instead of box 4?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ariong posted:

Why is every pokemon I catch going into box 8 instead of box 4?

Are you leaving your PC on box 8 when you log out?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Does anyone have a spare Lucky Egg they'd be willing to trade me? I accidentally traded mine away in a rush to complete the Pokédex. I have some HA Eevees which would at least be good for breeding with a Ditto to get the nature you want. I also have a Stoutland with Pokérus.

IGN: Kelp
FC: 2380-2390-9919

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I went with a Moon Ball for Marowak after all.

Now I need to think of a good one for Garchomp. I'm thinking Lure Ball or Great Ball.

Either of those would match. I'd go with Lure Ball if I had to breed my Garchomp over again.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Parrotine posted:

What is the purpose of the Strange Souvenir, and why is it so expensive?

Probably as a hold item in Gen VIII to allow Alolan evolution/eggs.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Can't wait for them to come up with some bullcrap to explain why this didn't work in Gen 6.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Been working GTS to hoard Kartanas to get a good nature. I think right now Zygardes are the key. Mareanie and Castform are tough to flip for UBs/Tapus, but easy to flip for Zygarde and Zygarde seems to get bites for them right now. I got a Timid Tapu Lele this way, along with a TON of Kartana's (best nature so far has been Impish tho). Also got a Celesteela. Celesteela is also in super high demand, so if you're not having luck try flipping something for that instead.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
So, I bred some castforms for trade fodder, and the first one to hatch was shiny (my first since the story red gyarados in OG silver). Is there anything cool I can do with that? Or is he junk?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Alxprit posted:

Can't wait for them to come up with some bullcrap to explain why this didn't work in Gen 6.

"We only just figured out it could do that, just like we only recently figured out that fairies are a thing"

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Alriight, so here's your start-from-scratch guide to breeding the perfect Pokémon, using Sable ye as an example because it takes al of the steps:

There's five components that go into defining a Pokémon as compared to others of its species: IVs, EVs, Ability, Nature, and Moves. IVs, Ability, and Nature are all determined from birth, Moves are sometimes determined from birth, and EVs are strictly after the Pokemon has hatched. I'll explain them as they come up.

Before you even catch your Sableye, you're going to want a Ditto. But not just any Ditto--you want one with good IVs. IVs are numbers ranging from 0 to 31, and a Pokémon has 6 of them, corresponding to each of its stats. Numerically, if a Pokémon is level 100, each point in an IV gives it a point in that stat. It scales downward from there, but basically more=better. The also determine what type Hidden Power is, but ahahaha good luck breeding for a specific Hidden Power. IVs also get passed down (to a certain degree) from parent to child, which is what makes breeding them possible. This is what Ditto is for.

The easy way to get a good Ditto is by asking around for a totally-legit 6 IV Ditto that fell off a truck. It will probably be level 100 and shiny. Where they're sending all these perfect Dittos I don't know, but they need better trucks. If you want to DIY, you're in for some tedium: welcome to the world of SOS-chaining. When a Pokémon calls for help, the help will be, on average, a little better than the base Pokémon--better odds on its IBs, more likely to be shiny, so on and so forth. When you're 40 pokemon deep in a chain, tilt is guaranteed to have 4 maxed IVs, and that's the best guarantee the game will give you--the odds don't go up further. So you are going to have to fight a lot of dittos, and that isn't easy. Fortunately, there's a trick. Unfortunately, it involves more steps.

Your Ditto - chaining rig is going to consist of 3 Pokémon: First, a Trubbish with an ability other than Sticky Hold. Use the Move Relearner in the Pokecenter before the E4 to teach it Recycle, and then use the Move Deleter to get rid of its other moves. Second is a Hypno that you teach Switcheroo--give it a Leppa Berry, the one that restores PP. Finally, you'll want a Pokémon that only knows Memento--I can't think of one off the top of my head, I did this the hard way. So first what you'll do is lead with Trubbish and find a Ditto. The Ditto will copy Trubbish, and now it has no attacks. Switch in Hypno, use Switcheroo to give Trubbish-Ditto the berry, and knock down its hp so it starts SOSing. Switch in the Memento Pokemon, and just spam Adrenaline Orbs--only the first one actually gets used. Now the dittos that get called in copy the Memento pokemon, and use Memento, making themselves faint. Keep going until you're past 40 dittos, switch Hypno back in, KO the original ditto, and catch the other one. Congrats, you have a 4 - IV Ditto! You'll want a few of these, and the process will have extra steps later on, too. But hey, Pokepurity, right? Totally worth not just getting a Truck Ditto.

There's a couple other things you're going to want for your breeding setup as well: a Destiny Knot (Battle Royale Arena, 48 BP), an Everstone (Isle Aphun, "Hunt for Rare Stones"), a Pokémon with Flame Body (I suggest Talonflame), and a Pokémon that knows Skill Swap (I use Carbink for this).

So, we're going to be breeding a perfect Sableye, because he's an adorable gem-goblin, and also fantastic on stall teams. The first thing to pay attention to is the Ability. Sableye gets either Stall (which despite what I just said about stall teams, is garbage) and Keen Eye, which is also not great. Fortunately, Sableye also has a Hidden Ability, Prankster, which is thematic, kind of adorable, and really, really strong. Hidden Abilities only show up via SOS chaining, and aren't always obvious. Now, Sableye doesn't just appear in the wild--it only comes out for an SOSing Carbink, which it then proceeds to attack, because he is a total goddamn rear end in a top hat mischievous little scamp. So, you'll have to knock your starting Carbink into the yellow, pop an Adrenaline Orb, and start blowing away Sableyes and Carbink as they show up. Around 20 or so, you'll want to start using Skill Swap first to see if it has the right ability (this means that the SOS-ing Carbink will take a hit, and Sableye know Night Shade--if Carbink gets low, switch to another Carbink next time it calls one. This is all easier if your Skill Swapper is also your sweeper which is why I used Carbink with Dazzling Gleam). Once you get a Prankster Sableye, catch it! Good job! The good news is, there's only one other Pokemon that attacks it's caller. The bad news is it's Mareanie, who is also fantastic, also needs it's HA, and who can poison it's caller thus ending the chain completely. gently caress you, Mareanie.

The important thing to remember with HAs is that if a parent doesn't have it, there is no way whatsoever for its children to get it. If you want an HA mon you have to catch an HA mon.

So we have a Sableye with the proper ability. Next comes Moves. You see, almost all Pokémon have moves they learn as they level up or evolve. Most have moves they can learn from TMs, or in some cases, Move Tutors (like Mr. Dragon Ascent, who can only teach a Pokémon that isn't in the game yet (Rayquaza) a move it can learn anyways. How do I get his job?). But a lot of Pokémon have moves that they can be born learning--but only if a parent knows it. So in Sableye's case, there's two moves we'll want--Recover and Sucker Punch. So first if our HA Sableye is male, we have to breed it with Ditto until we get a female HA Sableye, because when you breed with Pokémon other than Ditto, the child will always be the same species as the mother. Head over to the Pokemon Ranch, hand Sableye and Ditto over to the lady, and make your Flame Body Talonflame the only Pokémon in your party. Now go to the little fenced-in square just south of that building, mount your Tauros, and spin in circles. Yeehaw! When the lady near the nursery crosses her arms, go talk to her, because your Pokémon just laid an egg. Now go back to the rodeo and keep spinning--this is the fastest way to both get eggs laid and hatch them (sped up by the Talonflame because incubation). Eventually, you'll have what you need--in this case a female HA Sableye. The HA doesn't always get inherited, but it usually does. Make sure to check.

Now we need some Pokedads who know a move we need, and who can breed with Sableye. For Recover, we can use Kadabra. For Sucker Punch, Spinda. Just use Bulbapedia for this info, don't bother puzzling it out yourself. So once we breed Sableye with Kadabra and (eventually) get a female HA Sableye with Recover, we repeat the process with Spinda. Thankfully, Egg Moves always get passed down, and we don't have to do weird stuff with Smeargle to make this work (like getting Wish on Eevee).

So, we have an HA Sableye with egg moves, and we can do nature and ability simultaneously. I already explained IVs, but Pokémon have a Nature as well. It's nature will raise one non-HP stat by 10% of its base value, and lower a non-HP stat by 10%. Possibly the same stat, but that balances out and is therefore worthless. Sableye is a defensive utility 'mon that has priority on its non-damaging status moves (Will-o-Wisp is the important one), uses priority attacks like Sucker Punch, and isn't fast enough to outspeed much even if we invested points in it. So we play to its strengths--Impish boosts it's Defense, which we want, but lowers Special Attack, which we weren't using anyways. If we get an Impish HA Sableye, we want to give it an Everstone and use it for breeding--if a Pokémon is holding an Everstone, its offspring will all have the same nature. Otherwise it's completely random. Of we have Impish from anywhere along the way--the Kadabra, the Spinda, the Ditto(s), it's worth using an Everstone to lock it in, because otherwise it's a 1/25 chance.

While we wait on that to pop up, we'll breed for IVs, because we have actual control over that. Remember that Destiny Knot? Normally, 3 of a Pokémon's 6 IVs are inherited from one of its parents. If a parent is holding a Destiny Knot, that becomes 5/6, giving us way more control. So using your 6 - IV ditto, you breed that with your Sableye, and hatch eggs until you have a Sableye that has more perfect IV s than your current Sableye (or the right nature). Rinse and repeat until you have a Sableye with perfect IVs in everything but Special Attack (which you don't care about), and HAS THE HA DO NOT LOSE THE HA. Congratulations! You're ready to EV train!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Russad posted:

So, I bred some castforms for trade fodder, and the first one to hatch was shiny (my first since the story red gyarados in OG silver). Is there anything cool I can do with that? Or is he junk?

Trade it to the other version of the game, make it your ersatz starter.
Base 70 in all stats is good in the early parts of the game and it learns Water Gun, Ember and Powder Snow at level 10, which is pretty good.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 2, 2017

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Russad posted:

Shinies will generally get you what you want from the GTS in a second. Literally just toss him up for a Silvally and you'll have a Silvally no effort.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

So it does nothing then, got it. Same as the last two (?) gens.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
EV training! EVs, or Effort Values, are yet another hidden number that boosts stats! When a Pokémon is defeated, it gives the Pokemon that beat it a certain number of EV points (depending on what the defeated Pokémon is--what and how much a given species gives is always the same) in one or more stats. You can have up to 252 EVs in a stat, and up to 510 total. Yes, your in-game pokemon are horribly unoptimized with a total mess of EVs. If you level your precious perfect Sableye normally, it won't reach its full potential. That's where EB training comes in. It is spergy, but not as spergy as what you've already done.

There's two ways to do this: the easy way and the BLAZING FAST way.

The easy way is Isle Evelup. When it's maxed, every session gives 4 points in the chosen stat. A session is 30 minutes, but beans halve that. This is great for training a bunch of stuff at once, or for when you need to reach specific numbers instead of just maxing a stat, like if you want to spend juuuust enough points in speed to outspeed something specific while keeping as much as possible for other stuff.

The fast way is less precise, and has its own setup steps but hoo boy is it fast. First you want Pokerus. Trade for a Pokémon infected with it, or maybe your Truck Ditto has it, or maybe you lucked out and got an infected Pokémon on your own. Whatever the case, infected Pokémon gain EVs twice as fast, even once cured. Put a Pokémon with an active infection into the party adjacent to your trainee. Get into some fights and immediately run away. Eventually, your trainee will be infected with the turbovirus. Next, get the appropriate Power item from the Battle Royale dome. Like, Power Weight, Power Pacer and so on. These all give +8 EVs of their type whenever you get EVs of that type, and this is applied before Pokerus. Given that most Pokémon give 1 EV, this is huge. Now, go find the right Pokémon and SOS-chain it--pokemon called in for help give twice the EVs... after the Power item and Pokerus. So for every Pikipek you KO, that's 32 EVs in Attack. It only takes 7 to max it out!

If you mess up EVs, don't worry. The berry tree on Route 10 drops berry's that take away EV points, at a rate of 10 per berry.

You can check EVs in the summary page by pressing Y. If it has max EVs in a stat, that stat will sparkle. If it has all 510 possible EVs, the EV part of the stat hexagon will be blue.

Congratulations, your Sableye is perfect! Now go level him up, give him a nickname, and hand him his graduation gift of Sable note (which changes his ability from Prankster to Magic Bounce, but if you aren't a perfectionist sperg why are you breeding pokemon?)

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 2, 2017

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

That all sounds miserable but I'll probably try it, at least until I get bored?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Lord of Hats posted:

There's a couple other things you're going to want for your breeding setup as well: a Destiny Knot (Battle Royale Arena, 48 BP), an Everstone (Isle Aphun, "Hunt for Rare Stones"), a Pokémon with Flame Body (I suggest Talonflame), and a Pokémon that knows Skill Swap (I use Carbink for this).
Destiny Knots can be found via Pickup at any level (but it's unlikely)
Everstones are on wild Roggenrola 50% of the time (even without Compoundeyes)
Talonflame has to evolve to get Flame Body, but you can catch Magby in the wild and it's also 100% to have it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm 1 hour and 30 dittos into my search for one with 4 perfect IVs, and a shiny one just popped up. Do I take it, or do I hold out for the buff one?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Are you leaving your PC on box 8 when you log out?

That'll be it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ariong posted:

I'm 1 hour and 30 dittos into my search for one with 4 perfect IVs, and a shiny one just popped up. Do I take it, or do I hold out for the buff one?

That'll be it.

If you've already taken out 30 Dittos, it'll have 4 IVs (Unless you took out over 255 of them, which causes an overflow glitch.)

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
It only takes me like 20 minute to get a forty Ditto chain. Make sure your animations are off and using the Muk method.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Davoren posted:

That all sounds miserable but I'll probably try it, at least until I get bored?

The thing to keep in mind is that that scenario is the worst case scenario possible:

* If you're not going for the HA, then you completely ignore abilities until the final step, since if the parent doesn't have an HA the ability is randomly determined. If you are, you can often ask in Discord or something for a mon with the HA. I got my starter HA Gible from WTing out a bunch of stuff.
* If you have a lot of pokemon in your box, odds are you'll have one that's a compatible nature (and you can also grab a stable of Abras with Synchronize so you can get a bunch of Dittos with all the natures you need), so you can do that step quickly.

On average I'd say it takes about an hour starting from having a mon with the right species to one that's 5 IVs and ready to shove in Isle Evelup.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

JackDarko posted:

It only takes me like 20 minute to get a forty Ditto chain. Make sure your animations are off and using the Muk method.

Didn't know you could turn the animations off, thanks for the tip. What's the Muk method? I did the first one I read about, making the first ditto into a munchlax with a leppa berry and no moves except Recycle.

Dr. Fetus posted:

If you've already taken out 30 Dittos, it'll have 4 IVs (Unless you took out over 255 of them, which causes an overflow glitch.)

Cool. Thanks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Why is it recommended to catch Nihilego with a 0 atk IV?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

0 atk on mon that don't use physical moves minimizes self-damage from confusion and Foul Play.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because confusion self-damage and the move Foul Play, when used by an opponent, are keyed off your Atk stat, so it's optimal to minimize it if you don't need it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So edge-case bullshit, got it, thanks

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://twitter.com/ichina0107/status/815188058253324288

OuO

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

The Lord of Hats posted:

Everstone (Isle Aphun, "Hunt for Rare Stones")
You can get a free Everstone on the first island from the trial captain, after beating the trial. He's upstairs in the mansion in the main town. He takes you to the school to battle again then gives you an Everstone afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Senerio posted:

Shinies will generally get you what you want from the GTS in a second. Literally just toss him up for a Silvally and you'll have a Silvally no effort.
Let's be fair, the Castform doesn't have to be shiny to trade for a Silvally. I'd keep it.

TFRazorsaw posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Good job! Now go for the HA Beldum. :v: