Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Surprise Giraffe posted:

So we've heard a 1060 can do 3ghz submerged in a nitrogen lake or somethin, but whats the best you can do with standard triple fan cards like strixes in a normal setup? Anandtech said they got an extra 100mhz on a vendor OCed card back in august but shouldnt it be possible to push that higher sustainably?

It appears to be between 2000 and 2100 for mere mortals . the menory OC is significant though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

skooma512 posted:

I got a 1060 yesterday. Dishonored 2 finally runs well. Any other games you guys have been using to benchmark new cards?

Shadows of Mordor, Mafia 3, Batman Arkham Knight, Farcry Primal, Doom, The Division

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FaustianQ posted:

This is more a reflection of atrocious Radeon drivers more than anything,

While the AMD driver team maybe isn't as good at wringing every frame of performance out of the card as nvidia, I've been pretty disappointed by nvidia since coming back. I'm having a lot of stupid QOL bugs with my displayport monitor -- issues with going into / coming back from sleep mode and losing connection. This squishes all the windows over to the secondary 1280x1024 monitor. At first it was happening occasionally and at least it would come back fine, I just had to reposition all my screens. With 376.33 it sometimes won't reconnect at all.

The old 7870 never gave me any trouble, reverted to the 373 release and so far haven't seen it happen again, so I'm pretty sure it's just drivers and not hardware. I feel like their fast release schedule has thrown quality control into the toilet. Would be nice if there was a "stable" branch that I could use, because game ready is poo poo.

"AMD drivers bad" has definitely become a citation needed for me.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Oh no don't get me wrong, I've been cheerleading AMD drivers for the past 3 years and have never had a problem with them personally, just that AMD's performance gains out of GCN have a lot to do with how terribly CPU heavy they were (and still continue to be). They function, but are inefficient and leave performance on the table that takes them awhile to get to - the RX480 has had a 10-14% performance improvement since release for instance.

This, I think, is more a reflection of funding than anything at this point based on AMD's renewed focus on drivers since Omega.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

skooma512 posted:

I got a 1060 yesterday. Dishonored 2 finally runs well. Any other games you guys have been using to benchmark new cards?

3DMark is probably the best overall software for that, with Unigine's Valley and Heaven benchmarks being a close runner up.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

FaustianQ posted:

This, I think, is more a reflection of funding than anything at this point based on AMD's renewed focus on drivers since Omega.

Amd has been pretty amazing about drivers for the past year, nvidia on the other hand I was having issues when I left them.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

penus penus penus posted:

I had to look this up and AMD never disappoints in marketing do they

But anyway it sounds like the very last thing youd want to use for overwatch at least unless you sit in a corner at point B as bastion when point A isnt capped yet

It's supposed to deliberately cap framerates when the action is light, which is kind of what I was looking for as the game's own FPS limiter doesn't affect menus and I'm getting tremendous coil whine when I'm in menus, scoreboard, or just not looking at the game world. It's a feature they're very deliberately limiting to a few select games when auto-detected, tuned in house per title. But since my copy isn't auto-detected, the feature is gone v:shobon:v

I don't think this is a bad card as someone else said, I just built my PC to HTPC quiet specs and spent extra money on lack-of-noise. Now, three years later, I'm broke and NVidia only has 3GB cards in my price range. Also, I don't think all of MSI's cards are as noisy as this one.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 30, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Wow, Craptacular's not joking - 1060 6GB cards have loving skyrocketed, even *with* rebates. +$30-50 minimum from 1-2 months ago. That being said, there could be a relatively simple explanation...

...people have a shitload of gift cards to burn right now.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Either that or they pulled an Anime Schoolgirl and misread the article about the 1060 hitting 2.5 GHz on LN2. =P

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wow, Craptacular's not joking - 1060 6GB cards have loving skyrocketed, even *with* rebates. +$30-50 minimum from 1-2 months ago. That being said, there could be a relatively simple explanation...

I went to go look this up and see what the top selling cards are on Amazon and saw an 8400GS at 20th place.

JFC, HOW? WHY? WHAT?! HOW IS NVIDIA STILL MAKING BANK ON GT218? ADSSFAGDAFDSA

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

FaustianQ posted:

I went to go look this up and see what the top selling cards are on Amazon and saw an 8400GS at 20th place.

JFC, HOW? WHY? WHAT?! HOW IS NVIDIA STILL MAKING BANK ON GT218? ADSSFAGDAFDSA

One possible explanation? People who are too dumb to do due diligence, and when the 8400GS in their six-plus-year-old pre-built shits out, they think of their computer like a car and figure they have to switch out 'like for like' parts.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Because AMD is poo poo, I read it on [H], those guys know their poo poo

So you're looking for a gpu for $30 or whatever, and that one has good reviews!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

BIG HEADLINE posted:

One possible explanation? People who are too dumb to do due diligence, and when the 8400GS in their six-plus-year-old pre-built shits out, they think of their computer like a car and figure they have to switch out 'like for like' parts.

Could be that, my first guess was people who want good Windows XP support.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Truga posted:

Because AMD is poo poo, I read it on [H], those guys know their poo poo

So you're looking for a gpu for $30 or whatever, and that one has good reviews!

"Does it play the Bloo-Rays and the torrents?"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Glad I got my 6GB PNY card for $170 after rebates and selling a copy of Watch Dogs 2 that it came with :smug:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Like it's not even about AMD, how on earth aren't people buying at least a GT 610 or GT 710? And unless it's some Core2 system even onboard or iGPU should outpace it, and have more features and and and and and...*gazes into the abyss*

Eletriarnation posted:

Could be that, my first guess was people who want good Windows XP support.

Since I've longed since moved on, what's the motivation for still using XP that requires one to be tech savy enough to know that 8400GS's are useful for this purpose?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

FaustianQ posted:

Like it's not even about AMD, how on earth aren't people buying at least a GT 610 or GT 710? And unless it's some Core2 system even onboard or iGPU should outpace it, and have more features and and and and and...*gazes into the abyss*

Since I've longed since moved on, what's the motivation for still using XP that requires one to be tech savy enough to know that 8400GS's are useful for this purpose?

Uhhh, obviously the card with a big number like 8400 is the best, duh. :downs:

EDIT: Actually if you go on Amazon, narrow by "New" & "Nvidia" and sort by lowest price to highest, ta-dah! A Biostar 8400GS is the top result. Someone looking for a replacement card is very likely to use that filter just to make sure it is a new card and probably go with Nvidia because of the common perception of AMD/ATI being bargain basement, unreliable cards. :shrug:

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 30, 2016

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

After reading entirely too many reviews, it seems that they are very popular for people who were previously using onboard video and simply need the cheapest solution with DVI/HDMI so they can use a modern monitor at a reasonable resolution

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

New Zealand can eat me posted:

After reading entirely too many reviews, it seems that they are very popular for people who were previously using onboard video and simply need the cheapest solution with DVI/HDMI so they can use a modern monitor at a reasonable resolution

Are people somehow still stuck on GMA X4500s? That's the only way this can be considered an upgrade, bottom barrel AM3 onboard HD3200/4200s wipe the floor with GT218, even Ironlake beats it. Those boards would also have DVI/HDMI so IRDGI.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Actually if you go on Amazon, narrow by "New" & "Nvidia" and sort by lowest price to highest, ta-dah! A Biostar 8400GS is the top result. Someone looking for a replacement card is very likely to use that filter just to make sure it is a new card and probably go with Nvidia because of the common perception of AMD/ATI being bargain basement, unreliable cards. :shrug:

"New", "Biostar", "8400GS", "Not bargain basement, unreliable".

This, this is the reason for the existence of Polaris 12 and why the low end can never die. This is utterly symbolic of AMD's struggle with Nvidia, where they still have to compete with the parasitic hold a 7-8 year old card, garbage even when released, has over mindshare to the point it'll outsell much newer stuff that utterly outclasses it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

FaustianQ posted:

Are people somehow still stuck on GMA X4500s? That's the only way this can be considered an upgrade, bottom barrel AM3 onboard HD3200/4200s wipe the floor with GT218, even Ironlake beats it. Those boards would also have DVI/HDMI so IRDGI.

"New", "Biostar", "8400GS", "Not bargain basement, unreliable".

This, this is the reason for the existence of Polaris 12 and why the low end can never die. This is utterly symbolic of AMD's struggle with Nvidia, where they still have to compete with the parasitic hold a 7-8 year old card, garbage even when released, has over mindshare to the point it'll outsell much newer stuff that utterly outclasses it.

Hey now, it's not really fair to blame Nvidia for the ignorance of consumers or ATI ruining their rep in the past and that sticking with them, I suppose you could get mad at Nvidia for still making and selling old chips, but that does not make sense to me, they will produce them as long as there is demand whether that demand makes sense or not and I don't blame them for it. If you want to find a place to lay blame then look to human nature and ATI's long past gently caress ups with drivers, fairness is a nice idea, not something that actually exists.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

No, no I'm approaching this from that point already and not laying blame at Nvidia's feat, I'm just describing the mountain that AMD must climb. The continued existence and sales of the 8400 GS/GT 210 is AMD's real hurdle because they represent the problems they have with the common consumer, the uninformed. If AMD was in a healthy state w/r/t to public perception the R5 230, HD5450 or R7 240 would and should easily outsell the 8400GS which would have long since been relegated to history.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Craptacular! posted:

It's supposed to deliberately cap framerates when the action is light, which is kind of what I was looking for as the game's own FPS limiter doesn't affect menus and I'm getting tremendous coil whine when I'm in menus, scoreboard, or just not looking at the game world. It's a feature they're very deliberately limiting to a few select games when auto-detected, tuned in house per title. But since my copy isn't auto-detected, the feature is gone v:shobon:v

I don't think this is a bad card as someone else said, I just built my PC to HTPC quiet specs and spent extra money on lack-of-noise. Now, three years later, I'm broke and NVidia only has 3GB cards in my price range. Also, I don't think all of MSI's cards are as noisy as this one.

Ah I'm guessing freesync then ? Thats an interesting use case and makes sense. However if you arent using freesync then just frame limit the whole system

Its kind of strange though I specifically have no frame limits in place in software or global to use fast sync but overwatch menus automatically cap at 59 fps for me :confused:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

FaustianQ posted:

AMD's real hurdle because they represent the problems they have with the common consumer, the uninformed.

I consider myself reasonably informed on this stuff, and have bought all kinds of cards from both companies going all the way back to buying a Voodoo card branded "Diamond Monster 3D", and I currently know nothing about AMD outside of the RX line. I don't know what an R9 is but it juuuuuuuuust dawned on me that maybe they're doing what Apple did and going to roman numerals when they reached double digits.

In fairness, NVidia has some of this problem as well, thanks to how they've dived in and out of four-digit numbers over the years. NVidia would probably do more to distinguish their cards if they came up with a new marketing name for each generation rather than continuing to slap random letters and numbers after GeForce. The original GeForce was an okay card with a funny name that people initially laughed at before it got ingrained into the consciousness, but it's continued existence probably is so that NVidia can have a consistent brand name to put on company's boxes because the only alternative would be "NVidia" becoming more prominent on boxes than the vendor brands; and we can't have that.

Its kind of strange though I specifically have no frame limits in place in software or global to use fast sync but overwatch menus automatically cap at 59 fps for me :confused:

I admit I know very little about the technical side of GPUs, but I used the driver's OC/tuner Wattman thing to simply watch the performance graph as I played, and menus always sent "Activity" up through the roof and lock it in there. Gameplay, activity is up and down. Menus? Like one hundred million percent.

The past couple days it wasn't so bad, and I live in a city where you're almost always required to run the heater and/or air conditioner and those drown it out. But it is loud enough that I keep confusing the noise with HDD activity. I'll submit an RMA with audio next week.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 30, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It's not just Amazon, but even Frys has 8400GS, 5450's, 610's etc all there for the $30+ market to get.

I suppose they either have just a crapload of those chips left over from those days that they might as well just sell them, and for the price, while they are nothing facny, they can be useful for a 2nd monitor, HDMI out, and various other low end task on older systems.

Hell I built a new rig for an old time customer, and her fan on the ATI 1600XT was on the fritz in her old rig, so to get that rig to shut the heck up and have a bit more modern abilities, getting the "On Sale" GT710 they had was cheaper than just finding a new fan.

I even have an old 5450 in my Moms home office pc that's fanless and will probably last until the end of time with the way that system is built. (Though the HDD's have to go, built that thing before SSD's were affordable or reliable).

I'd rather see people get 8400GS's for their ancient systems, rather then picking up Quadro NVS 250's or some crap. Those cards are downright abominations and can't even do XP hardware acceleration right.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nvidia is counting down to something on the first day of CES. 1080ti announcement?

e: AMD has a countdown for Vega as well, later on the same day.

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 1, 2017

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

exciting times! :q:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Will AMD compare against Pascal this time, or Maxwell again?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Will AMD compare against Pascal this time, or Maxwell again?

even the Rx480 architecture scaled to 64 rops, 4096 shaders and HBM2 should be on par with the 1080. hopefully will see some improvements

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Did AMD ever get their poo poo together with Linux drivers or are do you still lose half your 3D performance when running Ubuntu?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Did AMD ever get their poo poo together with Linux drivers or are do you still lose half your 3D performance when running Ubuntu?

Phoronix posted fresh benchmarks just a few days ago. AMD still have some catching up to do.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Did AMD ever get their poo poo together?

look into your heart and know the answer

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Fauxtool posted:

look into your heart and know the answer

They've been doing exactly that recently but there's a lot of very widely spread poo poo for nix.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Overwatch itself caps menus to various framerates. Main screen is refresh rate, most menus are 60FPS, hero gallery is same as ingame. As far as I know, anyway.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

If they announce a 1080 Ti this week, would it have any effect on 1070 pricing?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SourKraut posted:

I'm not sure why it would. nVidia doesn't (usually) compete with itself, and the people that might upgrade to 1080Tis are the people who probably bought 1080s or Titan XPs (or waited). Or so my logic goes.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PerrineClostermann posted:

I'm not sure why it would. nVidia doesn't (usually) compete with itself, and the people that might upgrade to 1080Tis are the people who probably bought 1080s or Titan XPs (or waited). Or so my logic goes.

They dropped the price of the 980 and 970 when the 980 Ti came out.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SourKraut posted:

1070s are already flirting with the 970's original $329 MSRP, albeit after rebates. If anything, I'd say that's around where we're going to end up. ~$330-350AR.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What are Ti cards and why doesn't NVidia just call it 1090?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dali Parton posted:

What are Ti cards and why doesn't NVidia just call it 1090?

It's just a brand name, and a callback to one of their best value cards of all time in the GF 4200ti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, 'x90' cards historically are 'two GPUs on one die,' like the GTX 690.