Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Xindi were tied into the Temporal Cold War from the start, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

Honestly I think the Xindi arc was to distract from the Temporal Cold War stuff that was not working. Granted at the end they tied it into the TCW but the Suliban for instance were dumb enemies.

"Our show isn't Star Trek enough! I know, let's make it a war show, with goddamn space marines!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, but that's exactly the problem. Like, okay, you don't have the budget for a shuttle take-off/landing sequence every episode or maybe you just don't want to waste time on that. Fine, so instead of falling back on a lazy option like transporters, how about you find a way to tell stories that don't involve putting a small away team onto a planet every other episode? This is the perfect example of a situation where you can use the fact that the show is a prequel to play with the Star Trek formula and come at the setting from a different angle.

And even worse, it was TOS that didn't have the budget for shuttle sequences. In a CGI world, Enterprise could easily have had shuttles taking off all the drat time, for every landing party.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

And there's no reason they'd actually need to show a shuttle taking off all that often, how often did we actually see the away team beam down? If anything they usually just started with them materializing on the surface, which is just as easily achieved by dragging the shuttle prop onto the set and having everyone walk out of it. In fact that'd be one less effect shot they'd have to do.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Xindi were tied into the Temporal Cold War from the start, though.
It still feels like a major retooling of the show after 2 seasons, where you suddenly have these military officers onboard and it's no longer about exploration, it's about stopping the Xindi from completing a superweapon and blowing up Earth.

I never understood why the Xindi showed their hand in the first place by test-firing their smaller version of the weapon on Earth when they could use any other planet instead. It's not like Earth was nearby.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The whole Xindi arc was a desperate knee jerk response to falling ratings and every other show doing 9/11 terrorism dark hard decisions type stories in that era

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Tighclops posted:

The whole Xindi arc was a desperate knee jerk response to falling ratings and every other show doing 9/11 terrorism dark hard decisions type stories in that era

This is totally true, but the Xindi were a really cool overall race even though most of the filler for that season was kind of lame, the main xindi arc wasn't bad.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Gonz posted:

All BBC America is these days is Graham Norton, Top Gear, Doctor Who, various iterations of CSI, Star Trek, Star Trek: TNG and, now apparently, Star Trek: Voyager.

Not that I have a problem with Star Trek being on TV, but can someone explain to me how Star Trek is so relevant to BBC/BBCA that it's become a significant part of their content? I mean beyond Patrick Stewart?

Why are they running Star Trek reruns instead of say, reruns of The Young Ones or Blackadder or Fawlty Towers or Blake's 7 or any number of shows with an actual connection to the BBC or at least the UK?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Because people watch it and the advertising makes back significant enough return on their investment in the rights.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"
Remember when TNN became the "new TNN" and did star trek reruns. Then they became spike tv

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

In Voyager the crew came across another Federation ship that was trapped in the Delta quadrant like them but decided that getting home was more important than upholding Starfleet values. They were using ground up aliens as fuel. Janeway like immediately goes full psycho and tries to murder all these dudes at every opportunity because she's the maddest dog in the quadrant. Chakotay rescues one of the Bad Starfleet dudes from a murder room Janeway left him in and is like "hey how about we try some, not murder based plans?" Janeway immediately relieves him of duty and confines him to quarters in case he fucks everything up for her.

Apparently Ron Moore was super pissed by that ending and calls it out specifically in his AOL rant. It sounds like he was genuinely committed to making Equinox Part 2 work (especially challenging since they wrote part one without having an ending), but something bad happened in the later drafts and he couldn't get them to fix it. He made it sound like the powers that be were a bunch of cowards who wanted the character tension and high drama that would come from Janeway crossing the line, but couldn't accept that this would have consequences so they pulled their punches at the last moment and just slammed that reset button.

One of the most frustrating things in Voyager is they show Janeway going nuts lots of times and they'll show Chakotay or Tuvok calling her on it, but no one ever does anything about it. Equinox Janeway had obviously fallen off the deep end and flagrantly committed a court martialable offense, but no one even thinks to suggest relieving her of command. Why are they still letting this unstable (but heroic!) woman act as a little dictator when the crew has changed, the mission changed, and there's no one else for billions of miles to make them? It's perverse. Any society where they might be stuck with this woman (or anyone else) in command for the next 70 years would start coming up with ways to check her power.

The fact that they never do anything at all to democratize command on a ship that's essentially become a floating village (and instead build something of a cult around her authority) really exposes the authoritarian undercurrents that have existed in all the Berman Trek shows (even DS9 a bit). The cult of "The Captain" is something that seems to have gotten worse over time. There are many cases in the TOS and the movies where Kirk is wrong, acknowledged to be wrong, and openly challenged by his crew. Half the time they follow him anyway, but Spock and McCoy still question him all the time and quickly spotted and confined at least two different evil imposter Kirks. What's more, when he does something wrong (at least something the writers would consider wrong), he owns up to it. Janeway, by contrast, often does nothing to own her mistakes and, half the time, the people she's wronged (poor Chakotay) wind up apologizing to her. Even when she's wrong, she's still right, because she's the captain. It's the same poo poo we see in some of the rear end in a top hat Picard episodes of TNG and shows up again for "whatever it takes" Archer and it's just infuriating to see a show that usually says, "forget the chain of command, we do what's right" suddenly give us the complete opposite message when it's our captain giving the orders.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
God, Neelix was such a cretin. I mean, i've known all this time, but seeing the episodes again have refreshed my seeing him as a creep to Kes.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Duckbag posted:

Apparently Ron Moore was super pissed by that ending and calls it out specifically in his AOL rant. It sounds like he was genuinely committed to making Equinox Part 2 work (especially challenging since they wrote part one without having an ending), but something bad happened in the later drafts and he couldn't get them to fix it. He made it sound like the powers that be were a bunch of cowards who wanted the character tension and high drama that would come from Janeway crossing the line, but couldn't accept that this would have consequences so they pulled their punches at the last moment and just slammed that reset button.

One of the most frustrating things in Voyager is they show Janeway going nuts lots of times and they'll show Chakotay or Tuvok calling her on it, but no one ever does anything about it. Equinox Janeway had obviously fallen off the deep end and flagrantly committed a court martialable offense, but no one even thinks to suggest relieving her of command. Why are they still letting this unstable (but heroic!) woman act as a little dictator when the crew has changed, the mission changed, and there's no one else for billions of miles to make them? It's perverse. Any society where they might be stuck with this woman (or anyone else) in command for the next 70 years would start coming up with ways to check her power.

The fact that they never do anything at all to democratize command on a ship that's essentially become a floating village (and instead build something of a cult around her authority) really exposes the authoritarian undercurrents that have existed in all the Berman Trek shows (even DS9 a bit). The cult of "The Captain" is something that seems to have gotten worse over time. There are many cases in the TOS and the movies where Kirk is wrong, acknowledged to be wrong, and openly challenged by his crew. Half the time they follow him anyway, but Spock and McCoy still question him all the time and quickly spotted and confined at least two different evil imposter Kirks. What's more, when he does something wrong (at least something the writers would consider wrong), he owns up to it. Janeway, by contrast, often does nothing to own her mistakes and, half the time, the people she's wronged (poor Chakotay) wind up apologizing to her. Even when she's wrong, she's still right, because she's the captain. It's the same poo poo we see in some of the rear end in a top hat Picard episodes of TNG and shows up again for "whatever it takes" Archer and it's just infuriating to see a show that usually says, "forget the chain of command, we do what's right" suddenly give us the complete opposite message when it's our captain giving the orders.

In Year of Hell the Doctor tries to temporarily relieve Janeway of command due to severe chronic stress. She threatens to erase his program if he tries anything and taunts him by reminding him that she will probably never face consequences for her actions so she can do whatever she wants.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Gonz posted:

God, Neelix was such a cretin. I mean, i've known all this time, but seeing the episodes again have refreshed my seeing him as a creep to Kes.

She calls him out on everything when they break up and it was fantastic, but it turns out she was possessed by an alien warlord at the time, but they still end up staying broken up anyway.

Voyager. :shrug:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pwnstar posted:

In Year of Hell the Doctor tries to temporarily relieve Janeway of command due to severe chronic stress. She threatens to erase his program if he tries anything and taunts him by reminding him that she will probably never face consequences for her actions so she can do whatever she wants.

Janeway is a loving psycho

https://youtu.be/KEgt2kGyEOA

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gonz posted:

Everytime he called her "Sweety" i cringed. It was just so loving creepy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Neelix is so terrible. Everything about his character makes me question the writers, he is the Jar Jar Binks of Star Trek.

"Neelix is the key to all this. Cause he's a funnier character than we've ever had before." - something probably said in the Voyager's writers' room.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Maybe it would be more accurate to say that Neelix is the Jerry Sandusky of Star Trek

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man, it's a pity they flogged the licence to megablox

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah no poo poo. Trek would be so good for LEGO. And just think of the video games!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MikeJF posted:

Man, it's a pity they flogged the licence to megablox

Now, let's see that done in Duplo.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
We could have Klingons in Lego Dimensions!

Imagine the jokes that would be made.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mister Kingdom posted:

Now, let's see that done in Duplo.

It would have to be glued together.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
That particular model would cost somewhere north of 500.00 due to the size and number of pieces involved.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cojawfee posted:

It would have to be glued together.

I got no problem with that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah the UCS series of Lego are 200-500 dollars.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pyroi posted:

We could have Klingons in Lego Dimensions!

God, gently caress Lego Dimensions. Traveller's Tales was doing so good with the individual games, but now Dimensions is just a license to print money for them so everything is a goddamn $20 level pack nowadays.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

God, gently caress Lego Dimensions. Traveller's Tales was doing so good with the individual games, but now Dimensions is just a license to print money for them so everything is a goddamn $20 level pack nowadays.

Meanwhile in the real world they cut the price of the Fun Packs to $12 and the entire line goes on sale every other week. I have purchased every pack I own for at massive discounts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Meanwhile in the real world they cut the price of the Fun Packs to $12 and the entire line goes on sale every other week. I have purchased every pack I own for at massive discounts.

I've even found a fair chunk of the first wave at $5 Below. I've never paid full price for a pack.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've even found a fair chunk of the first wave at $5 Below. I've never paid full price for a pack.

5 Below is awesome for that. Last Christmas Best Buy and Gamestop had a buy-one get-one-free on all Fun Packs so I got them all for half price. And Target has a Cartwheel coupon on them monthly. Just on Black Friday I bought a whole bunch for 30-50% off. It can be an expensive game but if you know how to shop around you can save so much money.

Now come on Paramount, gimmie LEGO TREK!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Rhyno posted:

I don't know what this is and I don't care to find out.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'd say small bits of just what I want for dirt cheap is better than a 60$ game full of characters I couldn't care less about.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Timby posted:

Yes but I can play as the 8th Doctor driving around in the BttF Delorean with Egon Spengler and the Wicked Witch of the West as my buddies while we solve sliding block time travel puzzles. :colbert:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I miss the old Lego space subthemes that gave you just enough information for your child brain to fill in all the blanks, I know those basically stopped selling well toward the end of the 90's and so that's why it's been a parade of licensed poo poo ever since

And no I don't mean bring back Space Police for 4th time goddamnit

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

LEGO has been essentially all Star Wars all the time for a while now.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

dont even fink about it posted:

LEGO has been essentially all Star Wars all the time for a while now.

Naw, there's a whole mess of series that didn't exist 10 years ago and the Creator series has been gigantic recently.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I believe that one of the conditions for the Lego Star Wars license is that they can't do their own original space themes anymore. Or at least, not as much as previously. I'm not sure Lego minds too much because that license prints money for them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I believe that one of the conditions for the Lego Star Wars license is that they can't do their own original space themes anymore. Or at least, not as much as previously. I'm not sure Lego minds too much because that license prints money for them.

This isn't a thing. Space Police III ran concurrently with Star Wars a few years back. The only restriction regarding Star Wars, that I'm aware of, is that Lego can never do a SW collectible minifig line because that would conflict with Hasbro's action figure licensing.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

FlamingLiberal posted:

It still feels like a major retooling of the show after 2 seasons, where you suddenly have these military officers onboard and it's no longer about exploration, it's about stopping the Xindi from completing a superweapon and blowing up Earth.

I never understood why the Xindi showed their hand in the first place by test-firing their smaller version of the weapon on Earth when they could use any other planet instead. It's not like Earth was nearby.

They couldn't afford not to blow up Florida as soon as possible. That's my headcanon explanation anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rewatching TNG on Netflix and the sound mixing is loving terrible. The music is alarmingly loud compared to dialogue levels. I have to reach for the volume control the second an episode ends.