Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it's Star Wars so you know that they just stick to "serving tea and other libations". Any other science fiction property and it would get dark loving quick.

This is the headless cyborg I was talking about, Caysin Bog. He apparently appears during one of the tank scenes in Jedha.

Yeah, no kidding. It reminded me of some of Aaron Beck's work on Elysium or some of the recurring design motifs he has on his blog, where it might have a beautiful woman with her skull reduced for bioengineered fashion or a buff guy with his head replaced with machinegun.

That reminds me of all the cool poo poo you could do to yourself in the Rengoku PSP games too, too bad the games are pretty awful dungeon crawlers instead of good dungeon crawlers. Jun Suemi's designs went to waste. I always wished they made a PS3 version of it just so there'd be some conduit through which people could see high resolution versions of Jun Suemi's stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

cargo cult posted:

it's been like two weeks since this post but I'm just glad someone else noticed the dick shot. I didn't think it was intentional but I'm definitely down to interpret it this way. On that note it didn't feel distracting or too on the nose, but in hindsight this absolutely was 'team diversity' versus space fascists lead by wannabe-alpha-nerd-engineer-military-industrial-complex stooge, pathologically obsessed with self promotion and ascending the corporate hierarchy, lol. I think even ignoring the ripped from the headlines, rebels = terrorists motifs, this reading is still there. it's barely even a reading at all, i guess. I'm a bit stoned off oxycodone right now, sorry.

This post reminds me of something that I haven't seen discussed yet: the fact that Saw's rebels were for the most part literally turban-wearing Arabic-gibberish-speaking extremists. I mean, the idea of showing extremist rebels is cool and clearly meant to evoke current events, but that aspect in particular was absurdly on the nose, not to mention pretty racist.

Another point that I haven't seen discussed is the fact that the sound design for this movie was pretty bland. The one thing Star Wars movies almost always have going for them, no matter how lovely their other aspects, is sound design. It just struck me that, for instance, all the new ships had generic engine sounds, when they easily could have given them some kind of distinctive audio marker. Also, classic sounds like the stormtrooper voices and blasters just sounded off to me, with the former too clear and the latter too high pitched (and it wasn't the theatre - I've seen it three times in three different theatres, with noticeably different sound levels in each).

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Finally got to see this movie.

Third act was amazing. The whole space fight scene, etc.

Vaders introduction was cool af but then disco walk and '1970s plastic helmet' vader showed up. My wife, later, mentioned 'he looked like stewie from family guy wearing a costume'. This was entirely forgiven when he shows up at the end and just tears poo poo up. Also smashing that lovely little cruiser up was funny.

I thought tarkin looked uncanny valley-ish. But less so than Tron Legacy. He had a sheen to him the whole time. I guess he was really oily all the time.

My son watches the Rebels show and I was able to catch a glimpse of the robot from that show, which he'll like, when he's old enough to watch this.

Overall I really enjoyed the movie and I hope Disney decides that the original prequels were such garbage that they are no longer canon and will reboot the series because this movie was spot loving on.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Just got back from it as well. It's like the best movie I've seen since Fury Road. I'm not even a big Star Wars fan it was just an amazing movie.

Regarding Tarkin, no matter how he looked he was one of the best parts of the movie there's just no way they could have omitted him. When he was like "Rebels on Scarif?.... ready the warp drive." I was like ohhhhhh my gooood that cape guy is gonna get hosed. :kimchi:

One thing I really liked is stuff like how they brought back the guy on top of the watchtower at the rebel base as the ship is taking off, and the two guys in the death star laser tunnel that just stand there while its firing. Those were cute touches. I really loved that they embraced the retro-space style instead of glossing over it like yeah its technically the past in star wars but this is 2016 so were just going to gloss that over and make everything modern. Something that really benefited from the simple retro design were the medals on the empire officers uniforms. You could immediately see how far Krennic had come and see the difference between him and Tarkin from those huge plastic colored pieces of flair and it helped encapsulate their characters as being completely obsessed with rank without even saying anything. Stuff like that is exactly why I think this was a great movie alongside Fury Road, its the world building and the small things you notice that make it special.

TheMopeSquad fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 31, 2016

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

ShineDog posted:

It seems hosed kind of beyond star wars. It's kind of super cool and gross but it's like.... warhammer or dune. Something grimmer and more perverse.

Star Wars gets at least that hosed in the background. Just look at all the poo poo 3PO's been through.

MeinPanzer posted:

This post reminds me of something that I haven't seen discussed yet: the fact that Saw's rebels were for the most part literally turban-wearing Arabic-gibberish-speaking extremists. I mean, the idea of showing extremist rebels is cool and clearly meant to evoke current events, but that aspect in particular was absurdly on the nose, not to mention pretty racist.

I can understand the sentiment of it feeling too on the nose, but Jedha was a desert planet and there's a lot of good environmental reasons to wear that type of garb given the setting. Plus, that is what people desperately trying to liberate desert holy cities look like around here. Kinda like how the white/human supremacist Empire's uniforms evoke Nazi uniforms.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Young Freud posted:

I've heard rumors she never regained consciousness following the cardiac arrest.

That's what I figured. She was brain dead for being coded for 20 minutes. Family probably withdrew.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Filthy Casual posted:

Star Wars gets at least that hosed in the background. Just look at all the poo poo 3PO's been through.

I can understand the sentiment of it feeling too on the nose, but Jedha was a desert planet and there's a lot of good environmental reasons to wear that type of garb given the setting. Plus, that is what people desperately trying to liberate desert holy cities look like around here. Kinda like how the white/human supremacist Empire's uniforms evoke Nazi uniforms.

People have talked about this but there's a thin line between something "evoking" and "being." Sand People/Tusken Raiders have been around since the beginning and I honestly don't have a problem with them. But in Rogue One it's a planet literally named Jedha* (slightly different spelling of an actual city in Saudi Arabia houses a lot of...) with a bunch of desert garb folks described as extremists and as they land we get an intro not too far off from the original Arabian Nights theme song in Aladdin that they had to edit for home video because of the lyrics about how barbaric and violent the Middle East is.

Like, if it was JUST a desert planet named Jedha whatever, or if it was just a random assortment of different extremist dudes whatever, but it's literally a planet with a Middle Eastern named described as a particularly rough place literally full of extremist terrorists that are mostly Sand People

The Clone Wars cartoon has a few story arcs that do this, like a subversive take on American foreign policy/military actions, down to planet names intentionally resembling Middle Eastern city names.

But we get so little time with Saw and his group, and such a stereotypical introduction to their world, and they literally torture a guy to possibly get info he would have gladly given if he knew, AND they re-shot that scene so we see Jyn heroically rescuing a kid where no one else does, that it's basically impossible to sympathize with Saw or anyone else.

I still like the movie a lot despite Disney's best efforts to make it as uninteresting and still as black and white as possible, but the entire Jedha part of the movie was a total gently caress up, the entire intro to the planet and costume design was groanworthy. It really stood out to be personally because just about EVERYTHING else about the movie is excellent.

Some people are saying that hey, that's just reasonable stuff to wear in a desert, but who loving cares it's Star Wars. I mean I think you could make the case that Dune is the definitive sci-fi story about a desert planet with an important resource on it. Guess what, all the indigenous folks in it where sickass futuristic super efficient woven suits powered by their own motion to get by, the idea that since the planet's a desert therefore obviously it should be populated by Middle Eastern terrorists is dumb as gently caress.

*In Star Wars itself I'm assuming "Jedha's" original inhabitants were referred to as "Jedi." :aaaaa:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 31, 2016

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I think chav tea definitely goes down with jizz music as one of the least necessary Star Wars words.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TheMopeSquad posted:

Just got back from it as well. It's like the best movie I've seen since Fury Road. I'm not even a big Star Wars fan it was just an amazing movie.
Regarding Tarkin, no matter how he looked he was one of the best parts of the movie there's just no way they could have omitted him. When he was like "Rebels on Scarif?.... ready the warp drive." I was like ohhhhhh my gooood that cape guy is gonna get hosed. :kimchi:

One thing I really liked is stuff like how they brought back the guy on top of the watchtower at the rebel base as the ship is taking off, and the two guys in the death star laser tunnel that just stand there while its firing. Those were cute touches. I really loved that they embraced the retro-space style instead of glossing over it like yeah its technically the past in star wars but this is 2016 so were just going to gloss that over and make everything modern. Something that really benefited from the simple retro design were the medals on the empire officers uniforms. You could immediately see how far Krennic had come and see the difference between him and Tarkin from those huge plastic colored pieces of flair and it helped encapsulate their characters as being completely obsessed with rank without even saying anything. Stuff like that is exactly why I think this was a great movie alongside Fury Road, its the world building and the small things you notice that make it special.

This guy loving gets it.

I may not agree that it's as dope as Fury Road but that Rogue One was a world building victory for the franchise is something I can get behind.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Dying on the beach is literally my favorite scene of Star Wars, ever. That loving cocktail of desperation and romance is extremely my poo poo.

From awhile ago but totally agree. It was perfect.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Much like Avatar, this movie looked very expensive, which was pleasant. Also like Avatar, it was pretty bad. Blind Donny Yen was the only good part.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
My favorite detail is the lookout guy on Yavin 4 not pointing his tracker at their ship like he always does, because they left without clearance. Instead you see him look surprised, like he wants to go too. Also seeing Rebels TV stuff in a movie makes it feel more canon to me.

This movie lacks tons of things, but, depending on your point of view, none of the things that should matter. It was beyond time for a good fan servicey film, but I can see why people are a tad concerned about how these will look once the novelty of Good SW wears out 10 or 15 years down the line.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 1, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Just saw it. Since everyone is chiming in with their opinions on the CG characters, I saw it with a bunch of Koreans who aren't really familiar with the originals (Star Wars just isn't a big deal here) and when I asked what their thoughts were on the CGI characters they thought I must be talking about aliens. After we finally clarified it was the young girl at the end and exactly which old guy on the Death Star it was, their minds were blown.

As for me, I could tell they were CG but it was good enough that had I not known ahead of time I'm not certain I would have caught it. Format was 3D IMAX and the compressed dynamic range of 3D might have made it more passable, for what it's worth. I was a lot more distracted by a bunch of digital pans that seemed to be used to maintain continuity across altered scenes. It happened so often I started wondering "Man, how much of this film was changed in post?" Then when the credits came up and the lead story credit was shared by the Visual Effects Supervisor, of all people, I was like, "Oh, a loving lot then."

Technical stuff out of the way, this was a very fun action movie. Lots of eye-candy, smart casting that made up for some thin character writing, great set-pieces. Tone and pacing could be better and the first act is a mess, but this was the most fun I've had at Star Wars since I first saw ESB. I normally find SW movies more "interesting" than "fun," but this was fun.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 1, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Bugblatter posted:

It happened so often I started wondering "Man, how much of this film was changed in post?" Then when the credits came up and the lead story credit was shared by the Visual Effects Supervisor, of all people, I was like, "Oh, a loving lot then."

He pitched the story, so he didn't (just) get a story credit for re-shoots/changes after filming.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

drunkill posted:

He pitched the story, so he didn't (just) get a story credit for re-shoots/changes after filming.

Ah, alright. Well cool then.

Also, I just realized I posted this in the VIII spoiler thread instead of the normal SW thread. But people here are talking about Rogue One and people over there are arguing about the symbolism behind different laser colors... so I'm just gonna leave my thoughts here and only here.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
After watching it three times and thinking it over, I think this movie could have been hugely improved with theee fairly simple changes:

1. Cut out all the jumping around in the first act and just have Jyn be imprisoned and freed on Jedha. This cuts out a lot of unnecessary confusion and makes sense, too, if you think that Jyn broke from Saw and was lying low somewhere else on the moon.

2. Cut Baze (the heavy weapons Chinese guy) and fold some of his characteristics into Bodhi (the shuttle pilot). Give Bodhi a bit more of a backstory as a Jedha local - maybe he's related to some guardians of the temple or has some other connection and feels conflicted about working for the empire.

3. Cut down the scenes on Eadu, trimming that act to the essentials, and give us a bit more talking time in transit between Jedha and Eadu and then Eadu and Yavin IV. This would allow for more character development and also more tension buildup.

I really think that with these basic changes the pacing and character development would have been much improved.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Bugblatter posted:

Ah, alright. Well cool then.

Also, I just realized I posted this in the VIII spoiler thread instead of the normal SW thread. But people here are talking about Rogue One and people over there are arguing about the symbolism behind different laser colors... so I'm just gonna leave my thoughts here and only here.

I got confused because I just thought they were talking about the eighth Star Wars movie, which Rogue One is. But now I realize it's about Episode 8, which is perfectly obvious if I read the thread title and thought for one second.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

After watching it three times and thinking it over, I think this movie could have been hugely improved with theee fairly simple changes:

1. Cut out all the jumping around in the first act and just have Jyn be imprisoned and freed on Jedha. This cuts out a lot of unnecessary confusion and makes sense, too, if you think that Jyn broke from Saw and was lying low somewhere else on the moon.

2. Cut Baze (the heavy weapons Chinese guy) and fold some of his characteristics into Bodhi (the shuttle pilot). Give Bodhi a bit more of a backstory as a Jedha local - maybe he's related to some guardians of the temple or has some other connection and feels conflicted about working for the empire.

3. Cut down the scenes on Eadu, trimming that act to the essentials, and give us a bit more talking time in transit between Jedha and Eadu and then Eadu and Yavin IV. This would allow for more character development and also more tension buildup.

I really think that with these basic changes the pacing and character development would have been much improved.

Other than #2 this would be pretty cool. Chirrut/Baze can't work without the other because they literally took a wuxia archetype pairing and threw them together into a (very slightly) grimmer action movie. The chemistry they have with each other justifies each others' existence. Eadu like I didn't mind that part of the story happening but it dragged. I feel like that should have been the rushed/reshot/cut/whatever part of the movie and we for sure needed more time on Jedha.

In the movie as we see it though I think the only thing I'd really cut down is the opening scene. Like just make it a shorter dream or open the movie with Jyn talking about how Imperials/her dad are fuckin' assholes in some bar on the planet where Cassian is.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Thinking on it I don't like now how they seem to say may be the force be with you like it's a standard goodbye, when in A New Hope you could tell they only said it for Luke's sake after losing his religious mentor

EDIT: Also can't believe I missed it until WHM pointed out that Saw Guerrera is probably meant to sound exactly like Che Guevara

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Thinking on it I don't like now how they seem to say may be the force be with you like it's a standard goodbye, when in A New Hope you could tell they only said it for Luke's sake after losing his religious mentor

EDIT: Also can't believe I missed it until WHM pointed out that Saw Guerrera is probably meant to sound exactly like Che Guevara

Probably, but he's also a character from the Clone Wars, so I wouldn't put it up to the showrunners to name a revolutionary after Che.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Calaveron posted:

It's not just something they say to Luke; Dodonna says it to all the pilots at the end of the Death Star assault briefing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's not just something they say to Luke; Dodonna says it to all the pilots at the end of the Death Star assault briefing.

Yeah, because Luke was there (he was, right? It's been two years since I last saw Star Wars) and again, a little thing to make him feel better and or a recognition that hey, maybe this old guy was onto something and we should start praying to it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Luke is there but he's just one of a few dozen people in the room, and Dodonna says it to the crowd in a "God Bless America" kinda way.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah throughout Star Wars plenty of people use "may The Force be with you" as a generic Godspeed. Dodonna says it because they're literally all gonna die soon if their attack doesn't work not because some rookie pilot stepped into the 5 slot.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

But Dodonna makes eye contact with Luke at the end of the briefing. They gaze at each other and there's a deep, unspoken connection between General Dodonna and Luke Skywalker. It's almost... palpable.

Just kidding, lol if you actually think Dodonna gives a poo poo about the moisture farmer from a dirt ball planet when the laser moon is minutes away from blowing them all to hell.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 2, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I think they gaze because it strikes a cord with Luke as he's hearing Ben's voice already at this point so they lock eyes.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Went and saw this after staying spoiler free. Was quite disappointed and bored at times. Like, did this need to be its own film? Did we need to invest this much time and effort into cannon fodder and a plot point from decades ago? Not really.

I loved the robot and the beach setting. The daughter/father storyline was decent. The pilot, monk guy & heavy weapons bro(Did they have names?) all felt like glorified extras.

:shrug:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Andrew_1985 posted:

The pilot, monk guy & heavy weapons bro(Did they have names?) all felt like glorified extras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xKHWQckfI

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=boba+fett+merchandise

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Went and saw this after staying spoiler free. Was quite disappointed and bored at times. Like, did this need to be its own film? Did we need to invest this much time and effort into cannon fodder and a plot point from decades ago? Not really.

I loved the robot and the beach setting. The daughter/father storyline was decent. The pilot, monk guy & heavy weapons bro(Did they have names?) all felt like glorified extras.

What about expanding on the Rebellion's wartime actions? Is it not worthwhile to show their willingness to do morally gray things in order to fight the Empire?

What about making the Death Star more menacing? Should we not have the same feeling of dread and terror that the Rebels felt in Episode IV?

What about making the DS's weakness the result of subterfuge rather than ineptitude? Does that not improve the story?

How does knowing the lengths gone to in order to steal the plans and what that cost the Rebellion not give more weight to the events that follow?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

TheMaestroso posted:

What about expanding on the Rebellion's wartime actions? Is it not worthwhile to show their willingness to do morally gray things in order to fight the Empire?

What about making the Death Star more menacing? Should we not have the same feeling of dread and terror that the Rebels felt in Episode IV?

What about making the DS's weakness the result of subterfuge rather than ineptitude? Does that not improve the story?

How does knowing the lengths gone to in order to steal the plans and what that cost the Rebellion not give more weight to the events that follow?

Look we had like 3 movies about the Death Star. I'm pretty Death Starred out. Seeing it used again as a 'scary weapon' was a big whatever from me.

Did we need to know the whole reason why there's a weak point? Not really.

As for finding the plans and the weak point? Again, I don't really care how they got the email.

You've got such a rich universe of characters and possibilities and THIS was what they wanted to make a story about? It was a lot of squandered opportunities building a film about pedantic minor plot points.

I turned up for lightsabres and fun retro sci fi and this is what the story is about? Waste of time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

:laffo: Amazing self-ownage intentionally paying to see a movie that is pointedly and completely about things you have no interest in seeing.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Other than #2 this would be pretty cool. Chirrut/Baze can't work without the other because they literally took a wuxia archetype pairing and threw them together into a (very slightly) grimmer action movie. The chemistry they have with each other justifies each others' existence. Eadu like I didn't mind that part of the story happening but it dragged. I feel like that should have been the rushed/reshot/cut/whatever part of the movie and we for sure needed more time on Jedha.

In the movie as we see it though I think the only thing I'd really cut down is the opening scene. Like just make it a shorter dream or open the movie with Jyn talking about how Imperials/her dad are fuckin' assholes in some bar on the planet where Cassian is.

It may be an archetype but it just didn't work in this movie. There was one too many main characters and Baze really brought nothing to the table. Wen Jiang was fine but he didn't have much to work with and there wasn't much chemistry between him and Chirrut. One of the main failings of the movie is the fact that we have too many characters with almost no character development, and cutting the weakest link could've helped significantly.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'd quite liked to see the version of the film where jyn was a sergeant from the get go. While I hugely enjoyed it I wanted more about the rebellion regulars and to kind of explore the rebellion more rather than this team of outsiders.

Still had an absolute blast.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Look we had like 3 movies about the Death Star.

There were only two, but whatever paying attention to details isn't important or anything.

quote:

I turned up for lightsabres and fun retro sci fi and this is what the story is about? Waste of time.

Neo Rasa posted:

:laffo: Amazing self-ownage intentionally paying to see a movie that is pointedly and completely about things you have no interest in seeing.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

MeinPanzer posted:

I really like the old kung fu 70s movie feel they brought. I don't really know if it was the right place to have them, but having them made sure the movie did well in china so :shrug:

Also, I'm certain the k2 droid will be the new bell of the ball because of this and there will be stories about how he uploaded his consciousness, or at the last minute transfered himself to a new body and got off using a ship or some poo poo.

Every podcast, video, etc talked about how much they loved that robot.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

TheMaestroso posted:

There were only two, but whatever paying attention to details isn't important or anything.

Force Awakens is a Death Star movie.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Every Star Wars movie is about a Death Star.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Baron Porkface posted:

Every Star Wars movie is about a Death Star.

I can see the Death Star in 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, and R1, but what's the Death Star of 2 and 3?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can see the Death Star in 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, and R1, but what's the Death Star of 2 and 3?

The actual death star is in 3 and the literal death star plans are in 2. And theres some other miscellaneous death stars roaming around both movies. Theres some death star cuckballs full of clone sperms and death star turret cuckballs full of full grown clones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
EFB

• Locked thread