Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Space Rangers HD: A War Apart - Another good one. Not so much trading, but plenty of missioning and a deep world. Turn-based combat/travel, which is kind of neat.

This game is also good if you want to play some text adventure, real time strategy or arcadey action with your space game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The only third-person open-world games I've ever clicked with were Saint's Row games. GTA never did anything for me after Vice City, and I've avoided the Assassin's Creed games and most of the other major stuff, but watch_dogs2 has me intrigued. Is it worth trying out another AAA open-worlder, and if so, is WD2 the most fun, or is there another game with the level of infectiously goofy joy of the Saints Rows?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Watch Dogs 2 is fun. Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag is also fun. If you want funny, goofy casts go play Watch Dogs 2. If you want the better game, get Black Flag or GTA V.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I basically want some kind of survial/resource collection game sort of like a minecraft maybe but chill and where combat isn't a major concern if at all. I've never really played those survial esque games like DayZ but they seem just a bit chaotic and skill based to me. Any ideas?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

The only third-person open-world games I've ever clicked with were Saint's Row games. GTA never did anything for me after Vice City, and I've avoided the Assassin's Creed games and most of the other major stuff, but watch_dogs2 has me intrigued. Is it worth trying out another AAA open-worlder, and if so, is WD2 the most fun, or is there another game with the level of infectiously goofy joy of the Saints Rows?
Nothing I know of really comes close to Saints Row's sheer zaniness, but there are other good games in the 3rd person open world vein, yes.

Red Faction: Guerrilla if you just want to blow poo poo up and generally cause untold mayhem. I believe it's free of its old GFWL burden now too, with the Steam Edition. Also currently 75% off, so 5 euros. I just wish someone made a new game with similar building destruction physics. The game is several years old now and demolishing stuff is still fun and cool as poo poo. Obligatory promo video. Also Jade Star recently did a LP of it that's pretty fun, if you wanna check it out more.

Just Cause 2 also for general blowshituppery. I mean, causing mayhem is the driving force of the whole game's story, so you are encouraged to go hogwild. There's a Just Cause 3 too but I haven't played it myself and have heard mixed things about it. Also JC2 is currently even cheaper than RFG, at 3,75 €. I feel like JC might be the closest you can get to Saints Row's level of give-no-fucks goofiness.

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is another rec thread staple. It doesn't have much in the way of explosions and no destructible buildings, but it has really fun combat and tons of orcs to slay, with randomly generated orc captains that have way more personality than they have any right to. It seems like every player will have a story of that one goddamn orc that just won't die :argh:, and just seriously game devs start cribbing this Nemesis System already, jeez. Currently 10 euros at half off.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

KrayG posted:

I basically want some kind of survial/resource collection game sort of like a minecraft maybe but chill and where combat isn't a major concern if at all. I've never really played those survial esque games like DayZ but they seem just a bit chaotic and skill based to me. Any ideas?

Dragon quest builders

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Doesn't Minecraft have the Peaceful mode that's the same as normal but without hostile critters? Feels like that ought to do the trick.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

KrayG posted:

Stardew Valley, Slime Rancher, The Long Dark and Subnautica fit this bill. If you somehow want more chill than Minecraft, the former two are more suitable than the latter pair.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

KrayG posted:

I will never not recommend 7Days To Die. If you put it on easy and/or make the day longer, or play with a friend, it's a very chill build-a-fortress game.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Nordick posted:

Nothing I know of really comes close to Saints Row's sheer zaniness, but there are other good games in the 3rd person open world vein, yes.

Red Faction: Guerrilla if you just want to blow poo poo up and generally cause untold mayhem. I believe it's free of its old GFWL burden now too, with the Steam Edition. Also currently 75% off, so 5 euros. I just wish someone made a new game with similar building destruction physics. The game is several years old now and demolishing stuff is still fun and cool as poo poo. Obligatory promo video. Also Jade Star recently did a LP of it that's pretty fun, if you wanna check it out more.

Just Cause 2 also for general blowshituppery. I mean, causing mayhem is the driving force of the whole game's story, so you are encouraged to go hogwild. There's a Just Cause 3 too but I haven't played it myself and have heard mixed things about it. Also JC2 is currently even cheaper than RFG, at 3,75 €. I feel like JC might be the closest you can get to Saints Row's level of give-no-fucks goofiness.

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is another rec thread staple. It doesn't have much in the way of explosions and no destructible buildings, but it has really fun combat and tons of orcs to slay, with randomly generated orc captains that have way more personality than they have any right to. It seems like every player will have a story of that one goddamn orc that just won't die :argh:, and just seriously game devs start cribbing this Nemesis System already, jeez. Currently 10 euros at half off.

I second the recommendation of all three of these. RFG might be the weakest as an overall game because its campaign is just so-so but all three are absolutely top notch open world games with nearly limitless opportunities to destroy things.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah the campaign/story is RFG is just whatever. It works as a framework and excuse to blow everything up, that's pretty much it.

Can't really say the stories in the other two are all that great, though.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I've been watching a poo poo load of Star Wars: Rebels after watching Rogue One. What are some good sci-fi RPGs? I've already played through KOTOR 1 and got a little bored of KOTOR 2. I also tried TOR at a point but I'm not looking for a grindfest.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

I've been watching a poo poo load of Star Wars: Rebels after watching Rogue One. What are some good sci-fi RPGs? I've already played through KOTOR 1 and got a little bored of KOTOR 2. I also tried TOR at a point but I'm not looking for a grindfest.

Mass Effect.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Nordick posted:

Yeah the campaign/story is RFG is just whatever. It works as a framework and excuse to blow everything up, that's pretty much it.

Can't really say the stories in the other two are all that great, though.

You didn't like the wildly offensive accents in JC2? "DAH REE-PAHS NEED YOUR HELP"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Specifically, Mass Effect 1 and 2. They are brilliant.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ME3 has some of the best bits of the series in it, it just also has some of the worst. It's still worth playing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
ME3 is great up until about the last 5 minutes, really. It just gets a lot of flack because having a bad ending means that's the first thing people remember about it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

ME3 is great up until about the last 5 minutes, really.

Kai Leng and the ghost kid say otherwise. I do agree though that people are too quick to disregard 3 entirely.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 1, 2017

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If it ended ten minutes earlier, ME3 would be my favourite of the series, honestly. It's got some really dumb characters, but the writing is genuinely charming and fun when they're just joking around rather than pulling that ending bullshit, and it's also a hell of a lot of fun to play.

All you have to do is remember to hit your PCs power button and go for a walk when you see the magic space baby go "AH HA BUT..."

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 1, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Or shoot it for the best ending.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I actually felt that the Extended Cut DLC (which is completely free, mind) did pretty well to make the ending passable. It's still not exactly good, but at least it makes some sense and gives some sort of closure. I mean the original ending left me loving gutted, but with the DLC it didn't piss me off anymore. There's really no reason to hold off on playing ME3 after the first two, because despite the bad bits it's probably the best game of the series overall.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nordick posted:

I actually felt that the Extended Cut DLC (which is completely free, mind) did pretty well to make the ending passable. It's still not exactly good, but at least it makes some sense and gives some sort of closure. I mean the original ending left me loving gutted, but with the DLC it didn't piss me off anymore. There's really no reason to hold off on playing ME3 after the first two, because despite the bad bits it's probably the best game of the series overall.

It helped but by that point the damage was done anyway. Although if you've never played the series before then you'll see the extended cut endings as the "original" so you might not be as bothered by it as a lot of people were.

Anyway long story short play the Mass Effect series. The gameplay in the first is a little rough and don't feel the need to 100% it (all those optional planets are mostly devoid of anything interesting), but the story and characters are good. The second is a much tighter game all around and the third is basically an extension of the second and the multiplayer is actually pretty cool (I don't know if anyone is still playing the MP).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, people still play the multiplayer, at least on PC.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The Mass Effect series has the most fun ensemble cast that I've seen in an RPG since... probably ChronoTrigger. It's also worth mentioning that the character classes are space sci-fi interpretations of your classic fighter/mage/thief archetypes, and the "mage" class (Adept) makes the goal of every combat having as much fun as you can with ragdoll physics as you hurl enemies around with the Force. It is a much better game if you don't play it like a regular third-person shooter.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I played ME3 about 25% of the way through. I'll try picking that up again and playing it. Although maybe it's been long enough that I could start over with ME1 again.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'd definitely play ME3 if it were on Steam. I liked the first two games, space opera or not.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Tarquinn posted:

Hey guys, do you know of any modern-ish games that channel Escape Velocity: Nova?

I have played Space Pirates and Zombies and Rogue Galaxy. Anything else good in that vein?

Transcendence: https://transcendence.kronosaur.com/

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
Friend is moving out of country for a semester & will have a gaming laptop with him. Looking for some recs for games we can play to help keep in touch.

He's not a gamer though and his internet might not be great, so high skill and fast games (FPS) are out.

What are some easy to get into coop games that can run well on mid-low hardware? Real time and turn based should both work.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

5thMouseButton posted:

Friend is moving out of country for a semester & will have a gaming laptop with him. Looking for some recs for games we can play to help keep in touch.

He's not a gamer though and his internet might not be great, so high skill and fast games (FPS) are out.

What are some easy to get into coop games that can run well on mid-low hardware? Real time and turn based should both work.

Small world, ticket to ride, hive.

Get all 3 for less than :10bux: in the next few hours

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Cross-posting because I would like to know too!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Are there any other games similar to Mount & Blade: Warband you'd all recommend? I have an itch for sandbox create-your-own-adventure RPGs recently and Warband definitely scratches that itch, but it just feels really dated.

Anything similar to what I'm looking for? I just like the whole "start from nothing and eventually work your way to becoming a demigod/accomplishing whatever bullshit goals you've made up for yourself" angle in gaming, like with Skyrim and especially Morrowind.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

If you don't mind sci-fi that's not set in space there's Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong. There are fantasy elements like magic and the the stock fantasy races like elves and orcs but its much more cyberpunk in style and tone than fantasy.

Also Anachronox, which is sort of like Hitchhiker's Guide: The RPG.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

A very old sci-fi game with fantastic writing, gameplay and graphics that still holds up is Star Control 2. You're fighting against a seemingly evil empire a plucky group of rebels, there are lots of strange alien races to encounter, and there's a very cool actiony ship combat system.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

prometheusbound2 posted:

A very old sci-fi game with fantastic writing, gameplay and graphics that still holds up is Star Control 2. You're fighting against a seemingly evil empire a plucky group of rebels, there are lots of strange alien races to encounter, and there's a very cool actiony ship combat system.

ehhh.... I mean, I love love love SC2 / The Ur-Quan Masters, but saying "the gameplay holds up" is mightily disingenuous. It's all based off tank-controls and really awkward to do space combat, but fortunately that's only a very small part of the game. It's really good, but know that the controls are straight jank.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

That gameplay is a ton of fun, even the buggy sections! It is hit or miss though. Definitely download The Ur-Quan Masters to get the full voice acting from the 3DO version instead of the DOS version.

E: By buggy I mean lander. It looks like a space dune buggy to me.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 5, 2017

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

If you don't mind sci-fi that's not set in space there's Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong. There are fantasy elements like magic and the the stock fantasy races like elves and orcs but its much more cyberpunk in style and tone than fantasy.

Also Anachronox, which is sort of like Hitchhiker's Guide: The RPG.

Played them all except Anachronox, I will give it a shot.

prometheusbound2 posted:

Played the hell out of it already

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Played them all except Anachronox, I will give it a shot.
A heads up though it ends on a huge cliffhanger that probably will never be resolved and apparently the final boss has now recently become unbeatable due to modern processor speeds.

Still totally worth playing regardless though, it has loads of charm.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

You aren't really going to find many with the same setting/style as M&B, but that kind of "start from nothing and build up your fortune over time" is the standard for space sims which have been having a resurgence lately. I honestly don't know enough about the newer games in the genre to make any detailed recommendations but you might at least want to look into X3: Albion Prelude (which is a few years old now and kind of hard to get into but heavily emphasizes building yourself up to the point of going from a lone pilot/trader to running your own space corporation or empire, probably the closest thing out there to M&B) or Elite: Dangerous.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
How is Elite: Dangerous? The idea of being a space trucker/mercenary doing my own thing while being chased by Khergit Space Bandits similar to Mount & Blade: Warband sounds very appealing!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 6, 2017

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

How is Elite: Dangerous? The idea of being a space trucker doing my own thing while being chased by Khergit Space Bandits similar to Mount & Blade: Warband sounds very appealing!

It's a great game and similar to M&B in that you largely make your own story. It's different in that you aren't building up an army or vast land holdings, but rather filling your wallet with sweet, sweet cash and buying a bigger, better ship for yourself. So it's a bit less of a "I'm building an empire" game, but more of a "I'm improving my character" (ie. your ship) game. It's also extremely pretty. It's worth the cost of entry imo, but it didn't hold my attention quite as long as M&B mostly because once you've done all the activities once or twice (exploring, pirating, smuggling, trading, mining, bounty hunting), you've kind of done them, and then the only thing you're end up doing is repeating the same action over and over again until you have enough cash to buy the next cool ship that will let you explore/pirate/smuggle/trade/mine/bounty hunt slightly more efficiently.

Still, dogfighting in a zippy little ship is incredibly fun.

Semi-related, is there a game that's Minecraft-y in that you have lots of control over how you create a world, but also has NPCs that will fill up your village/base and do things for you? I'm thinking of something that's a cross between a first person survival game (like Minecraft, 7 Days to Die, Ark, Rust, etc.) and a more classic strategy title where I can delegate boring tasks to the computer. I want to make a little wilderness outpost and fill it with NPCs who will mine, chop wood, etc. I know there are plenty of top down titles that might fit this bill (I've spent countless hours playing Rimworld), but I'm looking for something that's first person.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Bannerlord should be coming out in the near future, seems like it's the same concept but with better graphics and less jankiness.