Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's generally true though :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
There's always more and it's always worse.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I don't know, guys. I'm feeling pretty good about 2017. It can't be worse than 2016, can it?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mikl posted:

I don't know, guys. I'm feeling pretty good about 2017. It can't be worse than 2016, can it?

Well lets see, all we have to worry about is:

1. Brexit
2. French presidential elections
3. Erdogan opening up the floodgates on refugees
4. Eurozone crisis 'hey guys we didn't solve poo poo' re-union party
5. Trump
6. The next Star Wars movie will probably be kinda average

Did I miss anything?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mikl posted:

*three months from now, during the Western Front's siege on Warsaw* wroooooong

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

After everything good as died, in 2017, the living will envy the dead.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mikl posted:

Why would you say this

We just witnessed 2016

Now you jinxed 2017

Europe :eng99:

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

Happy new year, here's to 2017.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

Well lets see, all we have to worry about is:

1. Brexit
2. French presidential elections
3. Erdogan opening up the floodgates on refugees
4. Eurozone crisis 'hey guys we didn't solve poo poo' re-union party
5. Trump
6. The next Star Wars movie will probably be kinda average

Did I miss anything?

There is the Bundestagswahl, allowing Germans to choose between Angela Merkel, Siggi Gabriel and AfD.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Already a terror attack in Turkey. Great stuff

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Libluini posted:

They better shouldn't, India is where the Aryans came from. But then again, Nazis never made sense, anyway.

Based on the divergence point between Avestan/Sanskrit, Aryans came from somewhere ranging from Tibet, Afghanistan, or Transoxiana.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

julian assflange posted:

Already a terror attack in Turkey. Great stuff

39 people dead, happy new year.

:tif:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jippa posted:

39 people dead, happy new year.

:tif:
We should make :tif: into the new :2017: NO ESCAPE.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So, will we finally see Brexit this year? Here's some light reading in the meanwhile.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/01/jean-claude-juncker-blocked-eu-curbs-on-tax-avoidance-cables-show

quote:

The president of the European commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, spent years in his previous role as Luxembourg’s prime minister secretly blocking EU efforts to tackle tax avoidance by multinational corporations, leaked documents reveal.
Years’ worth of confidential German diplomatic cables provide a candid account of Luxembourg’s obstructive manoeuvres inside one of Brussels’ most secretive committees.
The code of conduct group on business taxation was set up almost 19 years ago to prevent member states from being played off against one another by increasingly powerful multinational businesses, eager to shift profits across borders and avoid tax.
Little has been known until now about the workings of the committee, which has been meeting since 1998, after member states agreed a code of conduct on tax policies and pledged not to engage in “harmful competition” with one another.
However, the leaked cables reveal how a small handful of countries have used their seats on the committee to frustrate concerted EU action and protect their own tax regimes.
Efforts by a majority of member states to curb aggressive tax planning and to rein in predatory tax policies were regularly delayed, diluted or derailed by the actions of a few of the EU’s smallest members, frequently led by Luxembourg.

Despite having a population of just 560,000, Luxembourg was able to resist widely supported EU tax reforms, its dissenting voice often backed only by that of the Netherlands.
Among proposals popular in the code of conduct committee but opposed by Luxembourg were:
• Plans for tax authorities in each member state to subject their dealings with multinational businesses to peer review.
• An investigation into cross-border tax avoidance strategies, known as “hybrid mismatches”, often used by multinationals to conjure up artificial tax savings.
• Improved information sharing between member states on tax deals granted to multinationals in private.
Luxembourg also opposed plans to identify member states that were standing in the way of reforms more clearly. One leaked cable noted: “It has become abundantly clear once again that a majority [of members states] are not interested in real reform. In particular, Luxembourg representatives said they would fundamentally object to any proposal to publish arguments made by Luxembourg in the committee.”
A later cable read: “It is impressive to see how some member states present themselves outwardly as proponents of [international tax reforms] and at the same time to watch how they actually behave in EU discussions, protected by confidentiality.”

Oh Jean-Claude you wicked little scamp, you.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Eat the rich etc.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/01/jean-claude-juncker-blocked-eu-curbs-on-tax-avoidance-cables-show

quote:

Despite having a population of just 560,000, Luxembourg was able to resist widely supported EU tax reforms, its dissenting voice often backed only by that of the Netherlands.

But, but, but, I was told by goons that the UK was the only thing stopping EU integration and cooperation policies!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Nuke Luxembourg, and the netherlands if they don't catch the hint afterwards.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

His Divine Shadow posted:

Nuke Luxembourg, and the netherlands if they don't catch the hint afterwards.
Give them both to Belgium.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Give them both to Belgium.
To the Walloon part or to the Flemish part?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

blowfish posted:

To the Walloon part or to the Flemish part?

To the Walloon part.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I think it's important that we maintain the stability of the Belgian state, so Flanders and Wallonia should roughly maintain their current relative strength. This solution would satisfy that requirement:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the Belgian state

:rimshot:

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think it's important that we maintain the stability of the Belgian state, so Flanders and Wallonia should roughly maintain their current relative strength. This solution would satisfy that requirement:

Willem III's fever dream, finally realised.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yeah weird I wonder why the euroskeptic left here in the UK probably caused Brexit since this has been known about for years even before the leak.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Yes it was intricate knowledge of EU corruption and economics that lead the British public to vote leave.

Have you met the "average" UK "member of public". I have. I meet them everyday if I make the mistake of leaving the house. They're not very nice.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yes it was intricate knowledge of EU corruption and economics that lead the British public to vote leave.

Have you met the "average" UK "member of public". I have. I meet them everyday if I make the mistake of leaving the house. They're not very nice.

One could say they're the best argument against democracy.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm saying it tipped the balance in a very close referendum.

quote:

Have you met the "average" UK "member of public".
Yes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

You have my sympathy

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm sure he's interested in learning the intricacies of unemployment in Lendžu pagasts.

Sure why not i'll be moving to riga soon so really give me whatever u got

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

eightpole posted:

Sure why not i'll be moving to riga soon so really give me whatever u got

You can see Russia from there.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

Have you seen these deplorable, awful "people" who lack the most basic decency? I say we should yell at them about how awful racist poo poo-bags they are some more and maybe they'll vote for our cause instead!

:smugdon:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What's the status of the UK finally loving off? The whole Brexit thing totally disappeared from the public mind around here. When are you leaving?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

What's the status of the UK finally loving off? The whole Brexit thing totally disappeared from the public mind around here. When are you leaving?

No earlier than 2019, probably later due to Therese May being such a terrible leader.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

MiddleOne posted:

No earlier than 2019, probably later due to Therese May being such a terrible leader.

If there's anything left to leave by 2019, that is...

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Happy new year, thread!

What with all the pessimism round here, longtime Brussels correspondent Jean Quatremer has a list of six reasons to keep the faith in the EU (one for every founding member of the EEC in this anniversary year of the signing of the Treaty of Rome) , which I'll summarise here for those who don't speak French:

1) The euro has survived its worst trials, and with the exception of Greece, every member state that received financial assistance from the EU is on the road to recovery. There is now a banking union, a rescue mechanism with a 700 bn euro reserve to combat any crises, stronger budgetary surveillance (I think Quatremer is quite wrong about this one, but ok...), and the ECB has opened the monetary spigot to keep the money flowing. There are still pieces of the puzzle missing: a common eurozone budget, a federalized borrowing capacity and democratic control of the Commission and the eurogroup. But nobody doubts that the construction will be completed at some point, and that further integration is likely.

2) Brexit has not inspired any followers. The other 27 EU member states have remained united, even Poland and Hungary. The prospect of Brexit is working out badly for Britain with growth cut in half, the pund down by 10%, hiring and investment are flat. Brexit is also turning out far more complicated than its proponents expected, depriving demagogues of the arguments that leaving the EU could be quick and easy. More generally, support for the EU has risen everywhere since the referendum, even in the UK.

3) The refugee crisis has enabled a large step towards further integration
The crisis showed that European states do not exactly share the same values, particularly shown in the reaction of the Eastern European member states to Muslim refugees. Also, Schengen turns out to work only in calmer times. Nevertheless, it survives; the Turkey deal has stopped the refugee flow, control of the exterior borders has been reinforced and made a communitarian concern with the creation of a rapid-response border patrol guard, which can be deployed even over the objections of a member state. The failure of the Eastern European member states to accept their share of the burden and their resistence to the refugee-sharing quota is a point of concern but the most important things have been preserved and nobody doubts that the exterior borders of the EU are a common concern.

4) The election of Donald Trump and the increase in dangers from abroad have helped relaunch European defense and security initiatives
With Trump's threat to abandon the NATO security guarantee for those who don't pay their fair share making clear that the USA won't automatically come the aid of the countries of Eastern Europe, while the threats from the Ukrainian conflict, refugee flows, and terrorism rising, the security paradigm has been completely overturned. The Commission and the Franco-German axis have taken advantage to push further military-industrial cooperation, which is less contentious than the idea of a European Army. The hope is that further operrational cooperation will follow as a result. Community funds may now be used to fund military research and Galileo (the European GPS satellite) may now be used for directing missiles).

In the security field, member states have increased cooperation in police and judicial matters, the Passenger Name Record directive was approved and is being put into action, and there will now be a European ESTA. Europol's competences have also been reinforced.

5) States are still clamouring to join the EU, while people are still trying to come live there
Even in spite of the crises, states still want to join and, like in Ukraine, revolutions have erupted in the name of Europe. The EU is comparatively speaking still a land of milk and honey: rich, peaceful, democratic, more egalitarian than the rest of the world. It is the only region in the world where states have accepted to give up a share of their sovereignty, and the EU is the only institution which systematically redistributes large sums from rich to poor (Poland for instance receives 4% of its GDP each and every year from EU transfers). And people are of course voting with their feet: migrants and refugees are trying to come here, sometimes at the risk of their own lives, while there certainly is no large movement in the opposite direction.

6) The EU has always been strengthened by crises.
The founding of the European Coal and Steel Community was already a powerful political act, taking place no more than six years after the end of WWII. Still, the founding of the EEC was in doubt after an attempt to form a European Defense Community faltered in 1954. But its most fierce opponent, Charles de Gaulle, nevertheless signed the Treaty of Rome. Since then there have been plenty more crises: the 'empty chair' crisis of the 1960s (in which the French effectively vetoed all European decisionmaking by remaining absent from meetings while unanimity was required to do anything), the rejection of the European Constitution in the Dutch and French referendums, and of course the crises of recent years. Yet always the EU has emerged the stronger from these crises.

(Quatremer is of course deliberately overoptimistic here, but I share the conclusion that the EU is far from doomed, and far from likely to fall apart. I will also happily predict that nobody is going to leave the euro this year either. This is not purely because I'm an optimist, but also because, as Brexit is showing, leaving the EU is unbelievably complicated, while leaving the euro legally appears to require leaving the EU and adds an ungodly amount of complications to the process as well as an enormous cost. There is no politician who can try and accomplish an exit and still get reelected after the magnitude of the costs become clear, and I think most of them know that).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Happy new year, thread!

What with all the pessimism round here, longtime Brussels correspondent Jean Quatremer has a list of six reasons to keep the faith in the EU (one for every founding member of the EEC in this anniversary year of the signing of the Treaty of Rome) , which I'll summarise here for those who don't speak French:

1) The euro has survived its worst trials, and with the exception of Greece, every member state that received financial assistance from the EU is on the road to recovery

Hahahaha, recovery, that is hilarious.

Oh wait he wasn't joking.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Hahahaha, recovery, that is hilarious.

Oh wait he wasn't joking.

On the road to recovery. Like the first step of a thousand miles journey, friend.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

On the road to recovery. Like the first step of a thousand miles journey, friend.

I sure hope Cyprus and Ireland are happy about the euro-assisted recovery which has put food, alcohol and rent costs at Scandinavian levels but curiously neither income, benefits nor welfare. Oh, and lets not forget Finland who despite being richer is circling the drain because the euro is loving awful.

More like the first step into oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Pluskut Tukker posted:

(Quatremer is of course deliberately overoptimistic here, but I share the conclusion that the EU is far from doomed, and far from likely to fall apart. I will also happily predict that nobody is going to leave the euro this year either. This is not purely because I'm an optimist, but also because, as Brexit is showing, leaving the EU is unbelievably complicated, while leaving the euro legally appears to require leaving the EU and adds an ungodly amount of complications to the process as well as an enormous cost. There is no politician who can try and accomplish an exit and still get reelected after the magnitude of the costs become clear, and I think most of them know that).

Didn't Schäuble want Greece to gently caress off the euro, but the Greeks said no thank you?