Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
:hurr: HIGH LEVEL POKEMON PLAY :hurr:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-509733702

This guys entire team revolves around Snorlax. It leads to some really stupid matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Self-Swagger on Misty Terrain for the free +2 is actually kinda clever.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Someone in a discord chat mentioned Parting Shot on an ally Milotic to give it +3 spatk, then swap into something with Drizzle or Water Absorb. I have no clue if this is viable but it sounds hilarious.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

vOv posted:

Someone in a discord chat mentioned Parting Shot on an ally Milotic to give it +3 spatk, then swap into something with Drizzle or Water Absorb. I have no clue if this is viable but it sounds hilarious.

I had used a similar idea a long time ago with rain, a dry skin Toxicroak, and a Kingdra that knew Surf. It's very fun. It's also kinda like Discharge teams where you use stuff like Tapu Koko with Discharge and Togedemaru with Lightning Rod.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

If you can't breed Ditto, where do they come from?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Internet Kraken posted:

:hurr: HIGH LEVEL POKEMON PLAY :hurr:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-509733702

This guys entire team revolves around Snorlax. It leads to some really stupid matches.

This guy is a hero Snorlax 4ever. There has to be a better recycle build than that though.

(I mean he's a shithead for making the game time out at the end)

Davoren posted:

Arceus poop

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Davoren posted:

You can, you just need two Dittos.

E:VVV poo poo, really? I always assumed...

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 2, 2017

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

You can, you just need two Dittos.

Not true!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Self-Swagger on Misty Terrain for the free +2 is actually kinda clever.

I loving love that it missed the second time around :allears:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Davoren posted:

My personal theory is that wild Ditto just turn into two Ditto after a sufficiently long time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Davoren posted:

I always figured they reproduce by budding, asexually.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FishBulb posted:

Arceus poop

i thought it was more like mewpoo

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Alxprit posted:

My personal theory is that wild Ditto just turn into two Ditto after a sufficiently long time.

But only when nobody is looking, or through a hole in a sheet.

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 2, 2017

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I'm trying to decide between Araquanid or Gollsipod for my Water member. Which seems more useful?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is there anyone willing to swap their spare Celesteela for one of my spare Kartana? GTS doesn't seem to be giving me any hits (or the trades are being snapped up as soon as they're posted), and I'm just a couple 'mon short of the complete Pokedex.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Rangpur posted:

Is there anyone willing to swap their spare Celesteela for one of my spare Kartana? GTS doesn't seem to be giving me any hits (or the trades are being snapped up as soon as they're posted), and I'm just a couple 'mon short of the complete Pokedex.

Have you tried placing yours up instead? I would help but I only have the one, since I'm on Sun as well.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Nice

spit on my clit posted:

i thought it was more like mewpoo

Actually they started as failed mew clones as part of the same experiments that produced Mewtwo, and have just split off from each other after a while after that

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Geostomp posted:

I'm trying to decide between Araquanid or Gollsipod for my Water member. Which seems more useful?

While I haven't used either, Araquanid's ability massively boosts its Water STAB, and Golisopod's ability seems like it'd be hard to play around with.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

mastajake posted:

Have you tried placing yours up instead? I would help but I only have the one, since I'm on Sun as well.
Oh yes, that was the first thing I did. Once I realized you could catch more than one copy of some Ultra Beasts I made a point to snag them all. I mean, if there were a way to put more than one Pokemon up for trade at a time, I'd happily trade 3 Kartana and a Xirkitree for a Celesteela because I don't actually intend to use any of them. I just want the Pokedex (and ultimately, a natural Pokedex once the Bank opens up).

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I tried ditto chaining last night and only got up to 7 after 2 attempts over 3 hours. I had one unsuccessfully call for help about 15 times before it killed itself with struggle. :/

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
The struggle is real.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I like how Pheromosa is the only Pokemon with a semi-transparent feature and so on Showdown you just see the PC background in it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Nessa posted:

I tried ditto chaining last night and only got up to 7 after 2 attempts over 3 hours. I had one unsuccessfully call for help about 15 times before it killed itself with struggle. :/

You need to use three pokemon. One with only recycle to start. Next one with a leppa berry and that move that swaps items. Now the ditto prime will recycle that berry forever. Next a Pokemon with just memento. Use an adrenaline orb forever. New dittos will come and kill themselves forever. Ditto prime will eat a berry forever.

Optionally use another pokemon to false swipe ditto prime to make it more likely to call for help.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

greatn posted:

You need to use three pokemon. One with only recycle to start. Next one with a leppa berry and that move that swaps items. Now the ditto prime will recycle that berry forever. Next a Pokemon with just memento. Use an adrenaline orb forever. New dittos will come and kill themselves forever. Ditto prime will eat a berry forever.

Optionally use another pokemon to false swipe ditto prime to make it more likely to call for help.

That sounds far too complicated for me to bother. I just used a Marowak to False Swipe it and an Eevee for it to transform into.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

BearDrivingTruck posted:

While I haven't used either, Araquanid's ability massively boosts its Water STAB, and Golisopod's ability seems like it'd be hard to play around with.

Golisopod can take hits better than you'd think, so he's really more of a "swap in, First Impression, get hit to 49% health, swap out". He's really devastating for a really tough pivot, and can be hard to pin down and finish off because at 51% and up, it's nearly impossible to double up on him in VGC (he'll be gone before that second attack, so you gotta hope your second attack is stronger). With First Impression and Leech Life being his best moves, and Aqua Jet and/or Liquidation on an Assault Vest or Life Orb set, he can punch a hole in just about anything that doesn't resist both (and many things that do), and take a solid hit before he skitters away.

Araquanid doubles Water-type attack power and takes half damage from Fire (meaning he basically loses that weakness from Bug), so Hydro Vortex from him can be devastating. He has big special defense and decent defense, so he's more of a wall that hits really hard with Water-type attacks.

So, long story short, it really depends on what you need on your team. A powerful physical attacker that can easily get initiative and hit first and get out? Golisopod. A Special-wall who can take a physical hit and still be kind of scary (though not AS scary), then Araquanid.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Any word on bank compatibility?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Nessa posted:

That sounds far too complicated for me to bother. I just used a Marowak to False Swipe it and an Eevee for it to transform into.

Well keep complaining you can't chain them when there's an easy solution to chain them forever.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Recently got my hands on Sun. I love this game.

The Team Skull girls in the mansion who call you a cute girl if you're playing as a girl and get all flustered <3
The Skull Grunts who rap in their run-down Pokemon Center and politely ask you for a tiny fee to turn the power on so they can heal your team.
THE GUY LITERALLY TRYING TO CREATE JURASSIC PARK. IN A REGION BASED ON THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. I laughed way too hard at that.
Lillie and her 'Z-powered form'!! :love:
Hau and his ridiculous love of malasadas and goofing around yet still wanting to make himself stronger and accomplish a real goal.
Lycanroc is best dog.
Writing on this game is A+ for a Pokemon game. I can't remember the last time I EVER got so invested in what's going on.
I love the variety in the Trials!

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Good Dog Lycanroc is the best new friend

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

If you really can't be bothered to set up a Recycle-only+Switcheroo team (which is a lot easier than you think, and the Memento part isn't really necessary), then just kill the original Ditto before it starts to struggle, while another Ditto is on the field. New Pokemon will continue to SOS as long as they are in the same evolutionary line as the original Pokemon.

If you come to your senses and realize you want to go the easy route, a Trubbish without Sticky Hold or a Munchlax will both suffice for your Recycle-only 'mon, and Persian or Hypno can both be retaught Switcheroo by the Move Reminder. Easy-peasy.

ALSO, a lot of people think you need to hit a 40-chain for 4 guaranteed perfect IVs, but it's actually only 30.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Golisopod is awful in VGC. First impression is useless when almost every popular meta pokemon resists it. Every single Tapu wrecks him unless he's carrying poison jab, in which case he can beat Tapu Fini. Maybe. Every other one will still kill him dead. The main thing he has over Araquanid is access to priority moves but when Tapu Lele is bumbling around that's not a huge boon.

Emergency exit is just an awful ability for a slow pokemon in doubles. Its really easy for him to end up doing nothing because he gets hit for half his HP and runs off before getting a move off. He'd probably do best in a Trick Room team but Araquanid will still outperform him there.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

runchild posted:

ALSO, a lot of people think you need to hit a 40-chain for 4 guaranteed perfect IVs, but it's actually only 30.

Is 4IVs the hardcap or softcap? If I want to waste way more of time, can you go for anything further / would it even make a difference?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Internet Kraken posted:

is awful, VGC.

Yeah basically.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Chumppell posted:

Is 4IVs the hardcap or softcap? If I want to waste way more of time, can you go for anything further / would it even make a difference?

You can keep going past 30, but it won't make a difference for IVs - you'll still get your 4 guaranteed perfect and 2 whatevers. After 70 you get a higher chance of getting a shiny, but I'm pretty sure you're still better off hatching eggs.

A lot of people talk up their ~SOS master Recycle build~ Pokemon, but seriously, just upgrade the Pelago to level 3, keep Leppas planted at all times, and optionally fertilize the fields with Poke Beans. You'll have more of them than you know what to do with.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

People don't run the Recycle build because they are afraid of running out of Leppa berries. It's to stop the Pokemon from killing itself by running out of PP and starting to Struggle. You are False Swiping it to 1 HP to optimize the chance of it calling for help, so it would Struggle to death in one turn (and if there weren't two Pokemon on the field at the time you just got nothing out the whole SOS battle but experience).

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I just use a level 100 decidueye with false swipe and a shitton of low damage / high pp moves, and i've caught over 10 sos chain shinies using nothing but that. including a shiny ditto. no berry necessary.

The only difficult part of the sos chaining is having the patience to stare at dying idiots for an hour or three, depending on your luck.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Rangpur posted:

AFAICT nobody wants Kartana at all right now, despite the fact that it's very good. Celesteela seems to be in very high demand. Hell, I can't even get a Zygarde for Kartana, which seems like it should work. I have a good 6 crappy Kartanas right now just wasting in boxes because nobody seems to want them. I haven't tried trading them for Mareanie or Castform yet though.

Best bet to get a Celesteela right now is Mareanie/Castform/etc. -> Zygarde -> Celesteela probably.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm probably one of the laziest, most grind-averse people out there and even I just sucked it up and got a recycle Munchlax+switcheroo Hypno. It's extremely easy. You probably have a Hypno just sitting around already and Munchlax is easily caught/bred.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The mystery gift right now is a munchlax. If you have an internet connection, you can get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Or you can find them on route 1 once you've got the Tauros ride. They have a low spawn rate, but you'll want to look for them anyway since they are guaranteed to have Leftovers.