Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Defenestration posted:

wait, what? Can you say more about this?

Causing pain to others is bad, yes...

It's more complicated than that. Those types of physical pranks can be a type bonding ritual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Defenestration posted:

yo this is horrifying. I'm sorry this happened to you, and I'm sorry also that you felt responsible. You clearly had way more empathy for your bullies than I would expect.

Eh, it wasn't really so bad. It was a few individuals who generally had lovely lives and aside from that they honestly weren't horrible people so much as desperate and stupid and confused. I got lucky, I don't think I would have known how to deal with common bullying from genuinely more powerful peers that other boys experience - I only experienced that a few times, and it was mostly limited to verbal mocking, and imo that hurt way loving more than getting into a few scraps.

It's like they say, "Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words can make you think you deserve it" - the bullying from the people on the top of the social heap or who have a group of folks enabling them seems way worse and I'm glad I (largely) managed to avoid it. Give me the poo poo I had over public humiliation or backstabbing rumours any day of the week.

Defenestration posted:

Causing pain to others is bad, yes...

Inherently? Always? Why?

It can be bad, obviously, I'm not saying that, but it can also be invigorating. Pain is a powerful experience, and when you know it's superficial and it's no threat to your physical or psychological well-being, it can be quite enjoyable. Don't you love the shock of cold water when diving into a cool lake for the first time? The burn of your muscles after a long day of hard work? The heat of a spicy dish? The concept shouldn't be that unfamiliar, and when it's shared between people it can be an effective bonding experience. The give and take, the playful appearance of threat without substance, the rush of adrenaline and the very temporary nature of the consequences... Pain, especially the risk of pain, is one of the best ways to feel well and truly alive.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 2, 2017

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was "friends" with a really loving terrifying bully, back in elementary school. This kid was like, 6 ft tall and far and away the best athlete in the school, and he was meaner than poo poo. My best friend had known him since they were in kindergarten, and he was always like "I don't know why he's so mean now, he used to be a really nice guy"

Well, later on, the kid's dad burned down his house trying to kill the whole family, but only managed to get the dog. Bullying is definitely a symptom.

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What was your education like, guys?

In my experience, there was no towel-snapping, but then, I didn't participate in any activities that involved the group nudity and showering requisite to make towel snapping a thing.

My K-12 education (the parts I can remember, so mostly 2nd grade and onwards) was interesting. I was what could be considered an extremely disruptive student because even in advanced classes, I got most of the material extremely quickly compared to other students in my classes. I also was charismatic enough and likable enough that very few teachers wanted to actually discipline me for my poor behavior. A constant experience was "viewtyjoe, we know you know the answer, let someone else do it." I was generally just pushed through the advanced classes with acceptable, if not great, grades for the most part. Of course, when my poor behavior basically amounted to "doesn't do homework," it is pretty easy to let slide, especially when I consistently would perform on tests. This set me up poorly for further education, as I was able to get teachers to adjust the expectations on work for me on an individual basis in K-12, while college professors generally aren't so accommodating (though a number would go out of their way to try for me.)

Socially, I was liked enough. I associated mostly with the "smart" kids in elementary, and the "band/music" cliques in high school. I would provide enough academic assistance to others (letting people copy answers when I rarely did do homework, mostly) to fit in. I was a confidante for a lot more people than I think people realized, because I was considered trustworthy and genuinely seemed to enjoy listening (because I hated talking about myself or my feelings, so I would just prompt others to talk.) I wasn't bullied due to my association with peer groups that generally weren't worth targeting, as we were considered to be close to the teachers and bad targets.

Looking back on class compositions, for the most part, gender divides were relatively equal at the high school level, except for one or two classes I took which were outside of the main "academically talented" path. The few advanced classes that weren't on the standard track were very male-heavy, as were the computer programming classes. I believe that females were represented better at the high academic level because the majority of the teachers who taught those sections/classes were female and tended to treat everyone relatively fairly and didn't push/discourage anyone due to gender.

Of course, this is all pretty biased because I grew up in a majority white upper-class town (Boehner literally lived in my school district) that was expanding rapidly as a haven for white upper-class families because the schools were great (through no work of the district's.)

Another thing I've noticed that stands out to me is an issue that I have in general, but comes up most often with my wife. I have an extremely powerful memory, when I want to, and I tend to act from the assumption that everyone else can recall things just as well as I do. Between that and the fact that I don't like talking about myself, I will share small things with others, then when they don't remember (typically while I can remember a host of similar small personal things of theirs) I take affront because how could they not remember this one thing I said that one time once? This likely developed because during my years in high school, my immediate social group could remember that one thing said one time, which has set an expectation that I still have difficulty with in daily life.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

viewtyjoe posted:

In my experience, there was no towel-snapping, but then, I didn't participate in any activities that involved the group nudity and showering requisite to make towel snapping a thing.

My K-12 education (the parts I can remember, so mostly 2nd grade and onwards) was interesting. I was what could be considered an extremely disruptive student because even in advanced classes, I got most of the material extremely quickly compared to other students in my classes. I also was charismatic enough and likable enough that very few teachers wanted to actually discipline me for my poor behavior. A constant experience was "viewtyjoe, we know you know the answer, let someone else do it." I was generally just pushed through the advanced classes with acceptable, if not great, grades for the most part. Of course, when my poor behavior basically amounted to "doesn't do homework," it is pretty easy to let slide, especially when I consistently would perform on tests. This set me up poorly for further education, as I was able to get teachers to adjust the expectations on work for me on an individual basis in K-12, while college professors generally aren't so accommodating (though a number would go out of their way to try for me.)

Socially, I was liked enough. I associated mostly with the "smart" kids in elementary, and the "band/music" cliques in high school. I would provide enough academic assistance to others (letting people copy answers when I rarely did do homework, mostly) to fit in. I was a confidante for a lot more people than I think people realized, because I was considered trustworthy and genuinely seemed to enjoy listening (because I hated talking about myself or my feelings, so I would just prompt others to talk.) I wasn't bullied due to my association with peer groups that generally weren't worth targeting, as we were considered to be close to the teachers and bad targets.

Looking back on class compositions, for the most part, gender divides were relatively equal at the high school level, except for one or two classes I took which were outside of the main "academically talented" path. The few advanced classes that weren't on the standard track were very male-heavy, as were the computer programming classes. I believe that females were represented better at the high academic level because the majority of the teachers who taught those sections/classes were female and tended to treat everyone relatively fairly and didn't push/discourage anyone due to gender.

Of course, this is all pretty biased because I grew up in a majority white upper-class town (Boehner literally lived in my school district) that was expanding rapidly as a haven for white upper-class families because the schools were great (through no work of the district's.)

Another thing I've noticed that stands out to me is an issue that I have in general, but comes up most often with my wife. I have an extremely powerful memory, when I want to, and I tend to act from the assumption that everyone else can recall things just as well as I do. Between that and the fact that I don't like talking about myself, I will share small things with others, then when they don't remember (typically while I can remember a host of similar small personal things of theirs) I take affront because how could they not remember this one thing I said that one time once? This likely developed because during my years in high school, my immediate social group could remember that one thing said one time, which has set an expectation that I still have difficulty with in daily life.

Are you sure you're not me? I just always had a big heaping helping of arrogance to go along with it. I was always very certain I was the smartest kid I knew. Since then, I've come to realize that I didn't know very many kids.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Inherently? Always? Why?

It can be bad, obviously, I'm not saying that, but it can also be invigorating. Pain is a powerful experience, and when you know it's superficial and it's no threat to your physical or psychological well-being, it can be quite enjoyable. Don't you love the shock of cold water when diving into a cool lake for the first time? The burn of your muscles after a long day of hard work? The heat of a spicy dish? The concept shouldn't be that unfamiliar, and when it's shared between people it can be an effective bonding experience. The give and take, the playful appearance of threat without substance, the rush of adrenaline and the very temporary nature of the consequences... Pain is one of the best ways to feel well and truly alive.

This reminded me of

Primo Levi posted:

I bite deeply into my lips; we know well that to gain a small, extraneous pain serves as a stimulant to mobilize our last reserves of energy. The Kapos also know it: some of them beat us from pure bestiality and violence, but others beat us when we are under a load almost lovingly, accompanying the blows with exhortations, as cart-drivers do with willing horses.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

GlyphGryph posted:

Inherently? Always? Why?

It can be bad, obviously, I'm not saying that, but it can also be invigorating. Pain is a powerful experience, and when you know it's superficial and it's no threat to your physical or psychological well-being, it can be quite enjoyable. Don't you love the shock of cold water when diving into a cool lake for the first time? The burn of your muscles after a long day of hard work? The heat of a spicy dish? The concept shouldn't be that unfamiliar, and when it's shared between people it can be an effective bonding experience. The give and take, the playful appearance of threat without substance, the rush of adrenaline and the very temporary nature of the consequences... Pain, especially the risk of pain, is one of the best ways to feel well and truly alive.
The part you're not seeing is consent. Pain can be good, if you consent to it. Like sex. Don't hurt people without their consent.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

What would it mean to consent to a prank in this context?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The part you're not seeing is consent. Pain can be good, if you consent to it. Like sex. Don't hurt people without their consent.

Perhaps instead of trying to explain to me what I'm "not seeing", you could try asking or listening or otherwise trying to understand what I'm really saying and where I'm coming from?

If you want to talk about consent, we can do that. I'm not blind to it. But it's not really relevant to the point I was making - that girls (and increasingly more boys) are being socialized to see pain as something inherently bad and always to be avoided (except maybe outside a sexual context) and that, personally speaking, this is a bad thing for the many boys (and girls!) who would benefit from situations to which it is well suited.

I'm trying to share my concerns here, I don't think I need to be corrected on mistaken beliefs you haven't even bothered to verify are actually true.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 2, 2017

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009

Nerses IV posted:

Are you sure you're not me? I just always had a big heaping helping of arrogance to go along with it. I was always very certain I was the smartest kid I knew. Since then, I've come to realize that I didn't know very many kids.

Probably? I was the smartest kid I knew for sure that stuck around for any length of time, and ached for company. One of the first memories of romantic feelings I had while growing up was because there was a girl in one of my classes who was at least on my level, if not above it, and just having someone you could relate to who could keep up was a godsend. Shame she moved after the year was over.

Long-term, I learned to relate and adapt and stopped being so insufferable. Failing out of college may have had something to do with that, though. My mother maintains that someone earlier on should have gotten over the fact that they'd feel bad failing a bright kid like me and done it, because failure then wouldn't have been as painful as it was at the point I finally encountered it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Perhaps instead of trying to explain to me what I'm "not seeing", you could try asking or listening or otherwise trying to understand what I'm really saying?

If you want to talk about consent, we can do that. I'm not blind to it. But it's not really relevant to the point I was making - that girls (and increasingly more boys) are being socialized to see pain as something inherently bad and always to be avoided (except maybe outside a sexual context) and that, personally speaking, this is a bad thing for the many boys (and girls!) who would benefit from situations to which it is well suited.

I can't say I really understand it myself... You don't need to rely on pain to be friends with someone...

Like unless you're a masochist there is nothing positive about pain.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

I can't say I really understand it myself... You don't need to rely on pain to be friends with someone...

I understand exactly what he's talking about and I used almost the exact same phrase to describe it.

Pain can feel very good in and of itself. Like after a long run for instance.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

And you don't need to be able to swim in order to be physically active, but I still think it sucks that black kids are often pushed away from learning to be comfortable in and with the water and its good when kids have opportunities to learn how.

quote:

This is something you want to believe, but it is not something that is true. Unless you think every kid who plays a game with the expected outcome of someone getting hurt is a masochist in which case who boy we have a lot of masochists among the boy population.

Which hey, I get it. Lots of people are super keen to deny shared experiences that don't fit their desired narrative. If you actually believe yourself to be a feminist though, that is... probably not the road you want to go down?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It disturbs me how quick some people are to pathologize normal boyhood behavior like roughhousing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Although in the case of towel snapping, the pain isn't pleasurable in the moment and that's part of the point. Like getting spooked by someone isn't really pleasurable. It's the exchange on the whole that is pleasurable, and the pain (or at least the spark of fear) is merely a critical component.

It's a perceived threat that rends as a positive when you realize that no harm was done and it wasn't caused by someone who wished to do harm. It becomes pleasurable only in hindsight.

(Which does make issues of consent quite tricky)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think things which encourage people to hurt each other are things that are necessary for living a fulfilled life and that if people are brought up to enjoy them that is a failure of upbringing, because there are better ways of doing things.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

viewtyjoe posted:

Probably? I was the smartest kid I knew for sure that stuck around for any length of time, and ached for company. One of the first memories of romantic feelings I had while growing up was because there was a girl in one of my classes who was at least on my level, if not above it, and just having someone you could relate to who could keep up was a godsend. Shame she moved after the year was over.

Long-term, I learned to relate and adapt and stopped being so insufferable. Failing out of college may have had something to do with that, though. My mother maintains that someone earlier on should have gotten over the fact that they'd feel bad failing a bright kid like me and done it, because failure then wouldn't have been as painful as it was at the point I finally encountered it.

My moment of disenchantment came when my parents transferred me to a super-prestigious private school that I had tested in to or something, and they were all happy that I'd finally stop being bored in my classes, because this school would be able to challenge me.

Instead, I found out that you didn't actually have to be smart to go there, your family just had to be rich as gently caress. So I was still skipping all my homework and acing all my tests, with an added helping of being a social outcast and nurturing a complete disdain for the concept of organized education. It's ended up working out alright, but only because I was able to take advantage of family connections to weasel my way in to a field that's otherwise pretty opaque.

The Kingfish posted:

It disturbs me how quick some people are to pathologize normal boyhood behavior like roughhousing.

I've always been able to find girls who are okay with playful wrestling/smacking/biting etc once they realize they're allowed to be a little rough with you, and vice versa. There's a lot of women who like it just as much, they just need some nudging to let it out.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think things which encourage people to hurt each other are things that are necessary for living a fulfilled life and that if people are brought up to enjoy them that is a failure of upbringing, because there are better ways of doing things.

Pain is absofuckinglutely necessary for living a fulfilled life. I can't imagine how poo poo things would be if we just coasted along in absolute comfort for our entire pointless lives.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nerses IV posted:

Pain is absofuckinglutely necessary for living a fulfilled life. I can't imagine how poo poo things would be if we just coasted along in absolute comfort for our entire pointless lives.

Are you able to articulate why pain is a productive sensation?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Nerses IV posted:

I've always been able to find girls who are okay with playful wrestling/smacking/biting etc once they realize they're allowed to be a little rough with you, and vice versa. There's a lot of women who like it just as much, they just need some nudging to let it out.

That's why I emphasized that it sucks how much they have it socialized out of them, because I've found the same thing. It's a shared human experience that only boys have traditionally been "allowed" to appreciate, and there's a group of people like OwlFancier here who refuse to understand it and feel that the appropriate course of action is to prevent men from participating in it as well.

Which is kind of garbage for boys AND girls.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

I think the gap in k-12 education outcomes for boys vs. girls is really interesting and it's one of the main things I'd hoped this thread would discuss when FAU put it together. What was your education like, guys? Did you feel you were disciplined more than the girls? Were there any things you were told "boy's aren't good at" (as opposed to "this isn't for boys")? Girls get told they're not good at things like math and science, both individually and categorically, and it's been shown to depress testing ability. Did you feel any pressure to be anti-intellectual or to care more about sports than books? Was curiosity rewarded ("boys are so smart!") or punished ("curiosity's for fags!")?

And do you actually do the towel-snapping thing in locker rooms. I never understood how that was supposed to work.

I don't remember much about elementary school (I was bad at math and preferred English, but I don't believe I was pushed into either of them), but when I hit intermediate school...
I got into trouble a lot. I spent a large amount of 5th grade either in in-school suspension or at home because I got suspended. A lot of this was, I believe, because I didn't know what to do with my emotions. I felt anger and I just reacted. If somebody said something mean about me or my one friend, I'd just see red and smack them. The principal and vice-principal would always tell me that I needed to control my emotions and that I needed to not hit people, and I knew both of those things, but I hadn't been taught how to actually deal with these negative feelings or what to do with my anger.

I had calmed down a bit when I hit middle school (though there were still a few incidents), but then I started to get bullied in my gym class. I was really bad at sports and kinda feminine (and, as I discovered in 6th grade, also gay), so I'd get teased by both the boys and the girls. Name-calling, having my shorts pulled down (to "make sure I wasn't wearing girl's panties"), rougher-than-average handling during sports, etc. It got to the point where I got special permission to sit out of class. I had gained a special rapport with my school counselor due to these incidents, so at the very least I had some in-school support. I was in her office so much that people in the front offices knew me by name and greeted me when they saw me in the hall. I had some major depression hit me in the same years, and my teachers would always get mad at me because I wasn't participating or saying anything.

High school was better because I had found more friends as well as clubs that I enjoyed (in middle school it tended to be you were either a sports dude or a band dude, of which I was neither).

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Are you able to articulate why one of our senses would be entirely "unproductive"

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

What feels like pain except for pain? It's energizing. It activates parts of your brain that otherwise lie useless and dormant. When my girlfriend scratches my back, I want raised lines and sharp as gently caress nails because it feels so much better than just gentle rubbing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

What even is this.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Pain, in and of itself, triggers growth and motivates action. And not just physical pain, but all pain.

But even if it didn't, and wasn't inherently "productive", that doesn't mean it couldn't be a worthwhile component of some larger productive system, because it is a limit and consequence which is inherently immediate and temporary and superficial and that's actually super useful.

Prevent a child from engaging in any activity in which there is a real risk of pain, and you're essentially preventing that child from being able to grow up or engage in the world in a deep and meaningful way. Being taught to be afraid of things that hurt is one of the most serious thing you can do to stunt someone's physical and emotional development.

Engaging in play where pain is present superficial and temporary sends a strong, reassuring message that pain is okay, and there's no better scenario to learn that message than when surrounded by people who you can trust not to do you real harm and where it can be bonded over.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 2, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Kingfish posted:

Are you able to articulate why one of our senses would be entirely "unproductive"

Because causing people pain, in most circumstances, is something that does not feel good. That's sort of inherently the point of pain is it's something you feel as a warning to stop you doing whatever you're doing.

While it is possible for pain to be enjoyed, if you're a masochist, I see no reason to encourage people to rely on it.

It's like... shouting. You should, as a rule, avoid shouting, and not be taught to use it in conversation, because the effect is that people who can shout louder and with more inclination to shout can dominate the conversation. While it may have some situational applications the default should be "don't do it" because the legitimate applications of it are limited and niche.

There's nothing about inflicting pain on people that can't be substituted for other means. I see no reason to encourage something so intertwined with violence and domination because "it feels good" many things feel good, that doesn't mean we should do them.

GlyphGryph posted:

Pain, in and of itself, triggers growth and motivates action. And not just physical pain, but all pain.

But even if it didn't, and wasn't inherently "productive", that doesn't mean it couldn't be a worthwhile component of some larger productive system, because it is a limit and consequence which is inherently immediate and temporary and superficial and that's actually super useful.

Prevent a child from engaging in any activity in which there is a real risk of pain, and you're essentially preventing that child from being able to grow up or engage in the world in a deep and meaningful way. Being taught to be afraid of things that hurt is one of the most serious thing you can do to stunt someone's physical and emotional development.

I entirely disagree, pain, in and of itself, is highly liable to simply trigger submission in the recipient. If I beat you until you learn something, what you will learn is that beating people keeps them under your control, if I want you to learn something I will teach you it, not simply hurt you repeatedly until you do what I say.

Pain is a part of the world but it is a part we should all be trying to eradicate, it is something you should oppose. That does not require you to run away from it always but you should not conflate sometimes necessary pain with a moral good.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 2, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

OwlFancier, are you a dude?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

Because causing people pain, in most circumstances, is something that does not feel good. That's sort of inherently the point of pain is it's something you feel as a warning to stop you doing whatever you're doing.

While it is possible for pain to be enjoyed, if you're a masochist, I see no reason to encourage people to rely on it.

It's like... shouting. You should, as a rule, avoid shouting, and not be taught to use it in conversation, because the effect is that people who can shout louder and with more inclination to shout can dominate the conversation. While it may have some situational applications the default should be "don't do it" because the legitimate applications of it are limited and niche.

There's nothing about inflicting pain on people that can't be substituted for other means. I see no reason to encourage something so intertwined with violence and domination because "it feels good" many things feel good, that doesn't mean we should do them.

I let my friend tweeze my eyebrows on NYE because I was a little drunk and she did it to herself and called me a pussy. I wouldn't call myself a masochist, and it certainly wasn't a sexual thing, but it was scary and exciting nonetheless. I'd let her do it again even though it hurt, mostly because she seemed to really enjoy doing it. She obviously liked pushing me out of my comfort zone and sharing a superficially painful aspect of her regular routine.

I'm supposed to believe this was a bad thing ?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I thought so, just wanted to make sure. That makes this a good deal more frustrating, though, in some ways.

You just seem really, really hung up on this "No, I'm right, your experiences are illegitimate" and I really think you should reflect on why you feel this so strongly you aren't willing to honestly engage with or try to understand those who disagree.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GlyphGryph posted:

Engaging in play where pain is present superficial and temporary sends a strong, reassuring message that pain is okay, and there's no better scenario to learn that message than when surrounded by people who you can trust not to do you real harm and where it can be bonded over.

Also see: every time baby animals play with eachother ever

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nerses IV posted:

I let my friend tweeze my eyebrows on NYE because I was a little drunk and she did it to herself and called me a pussy. I wouldn't call myself a masochist, and it certainly wasn't a sexual thing, but it was scary and exciting nonetheless. I'd let her do it again even though it hurt, mostly because she seemed to really enjoy doing it. She obviously liked pushing me out of my comfort zone and sharing a superficially painful aspect of her regular routine.

I'm supposed to believe this was a bad thing ?

You have control in that situation, you know you don't have to actually fear that because you can stop it at any time. However if you are dealing with someone who is taught to use pain as a primary method of interacting with people, and you, perhaps, do not have the advantage of being able to physically stop them at any time, or the advantage of an established relationship which might let you stop them by asking, you might, perhaps, understand why there might be a difference?

If say I, as a large and physically capable man, try to pick you up by grabbing your hair and pulling on it and telling you you like it, do you suppose you would feel the same?

Pain is not an appropriate recourse for interaction because it requires very specific conditions in order to be acceptable, therefore it is not appropriate to teach people that causing pain is just "acceptable" and part of life. It is not, it is something people may elect to do under controlled conditions.

GlyphGryph posted:

I thought so, just wanted to make sure. That makes this a good deal more frustrating, though, in some ways.

You just seem really, really hung up on this "No, I'm right, your experiences are illegitimate" and I really think you should reflect on why you feel this so strongly you aren't willing to honestly engage with or try to understand those who disagree.

Your experiences are what they are, that doesn't mean I consider them to be a good model for society. I entirely believe that you enjoy the exchange of pain with people, I do not, regardless, believe that that is an appropriate way to socialize people. Nor do I believe that it is good when applied to wider society.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 2, 2017

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Perhaps instead of trying to explain to me what I'm "not seeing", you could try asking or listening or otherwise trying to understand what I'm really saying and where I'm coming from?

I'm trying to share my concerns here, I don't think I need to be corrected on mistaken beliefs you haven't even bothered to verify are actually true.
Yo, hey, that was not an attack on you. That was TB continuing the conversation by trying to make you understand where WE are coming from. What concerned me about towel snapping rituals was not that some kid's butt would sting, it's that as I understand it happens, it's either nonconsensual bullying or even if it's a game among "friends" it might well be that one of those friends might hate it but not feel like he can object to it.

So like, as far as what I hear you saying about pain having a purpose, eat something spicy or climb a mountain with your friends, and feel the satisfaction of something you've worked hard and sacrificed to accomplish.

Basically this

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think things which encourage people to hurt each other are things that are necessary for living a fulfilled life
There is enough nonconsensual pain in life. We don't need to compound it for the sake of Building Character or whatever. Because sometimes the "character" you build is just more abusive patriarchy

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

We aren't talking about "most circumstances" here. We are talking about a specific circumstance or set of circumstances. Pain as a warning is only one function of pain, it also can signify hard work or improvement. It can also trigger a "shock" emotion like being startled which is fun in hindsight. Masochistic can mean a sexual kink or an appreciation of pain so you are going to have to be more specific.

Nobody is saying that we should encourage others to "rely on" enjoying pain. That's a total strawman. Nobody is saying that there aren't other ways boys can and do bond. That being said, I see take issue with the way you are trying to paint roughhousing as inherently problematic. Its perfectly acceptable form of play between friends and is only being defended in the context of friends.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 2, 2017

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
What are you guys even debating? I don't think I've seen anyone advocate for inflicting pain on another person as a good thing unless consent is a part of it. So I'm not sure why it's getting repeated again and again as if that wasn't already established.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

If I beat you until you learn something, what you will learn is that beating people keeps them under your control, if I want you to learn something I will teach you it, not simply hurt you repeatedly until you do what I say.

OwlFancier posted:

However if you are dealing with someone who is taught to use pain as a primary method of interacting with people, and you, perhaps, do not have the advantage of being able to physically stop them at any time, or the advantage of an established relationship which might let you stop them by asking, you might, perhaps, understand why there might be a difference?

If say I, as a large and physically capable man, try to pick you up by grabbing your hair and pulling on it and telling you you like it, do you suppose you would feel the same?

Woah, dude. Dude. Back the gently caress up.

No one is arguing that pain is always good or that pain should be the primary method of interacting with people or that you should loving beat people to keep them under your control. It feels like you might have some really hosed up emotional baggage that you're dragging into this conversation because you, personally, never had the opportunity to experience pain in a positive and productive way, and that's really sad but...

What the hell, dude.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then I think you could stand to be far more specific about what "roughhousing" entails because I would hope you would be aware of how that is tied up with masculine socialization towards being OK with violence in general and being "tough".

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bag em and tag em posted:

What are you guys even debating? I don't think I've seen anyone advocate for inflicting pain on another person as a good thing unless consent is a part of it. So I'm not sure why it's getting repeated again and again as if that wasn't already established.

This dude appears to believe that even consensual pain is a bad thing, because there's already a bunch of non-consensual pain.

I disagree.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

Then I think you could stand to be far more specific about what "roughhousing" entails because I would hope you would be aware of how that is tied up with masculine socialization towards being OK with violence in general and being "tough".

Being tough is cool and good though? I think being a capable person who does not shirk from adversity is part and parcel with living a fulfilled life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

We're already discussing one specific type of roughhouse, (the towel whip) so why not just stick with it? What do you mean by masochistic?

• Locked thread