Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ariong posted:

No, people were upset because the early character designs for the upcoming TAZ graphic novel were predominantly white. It would be weird if somebody had that complaint about the actual show because, like, says who? They dont look like anything. You can draw them however you want.

In fact, that's exactly the reason why people didn't like most of the characters being white. That's the way things always are, super boring, waste of potential, etc. They said they'll work on it.

"Most" of the characters were already made as POC. People were just complaining that Tres Horny Boys were designed as white.

Eg:

Edit: And if we're talking about Griffin having a specific design in mind when he described the Director recently... I mean, it was probably Carey's version here that they're using for the graphic novel.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

That Justin video was good. I liked his Long December in the beginning. That dragonquest builders game looks kinda cool and I didn't hear anything about it but it's Playstation only and I don't have one of those :(

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
Loved TAZ: Switcheroo 2. The way it's tone and structure felt different enough that I like getting the once in a while break from the regular episodes The servants vomiting molten The Stuff and melting in a ridiculous nasty fashion felt as in spirit of The Flophouse gang that I was really happy about actually happening after the burping was introduced.

Definitely feels more like, "Here There Be Gerblins!" than anything in that it's very contained and lives more in the D&D world proper and doesn't have too deep of a run into TAZ specific lore, and is very good about the guys acting their characters out. Elliot and Zhubin are in really good form, too.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There is plenty of diversity in TAZ, the three main characters are different races

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

bowmore posted:

There is plenty of diversity in TAZ, the three main characters are different races

you joke but "fantasy race as stand in for real ethnicities" is a massive problem in fantasy media

not that I'm particularly concerned about TAZ

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have yet to finish this huge Taz episode but this is how I pictured Lucious:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I finally got around to finishing it today, and it's still pretty good. I still don't really enjoy Elliott Kalan's type of humor, but the thing overall was pretty good. Stewart is a good DM.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Making my way through Cool Games, and I understand why the CGI Jrs exist, but 20 minutes is just not enough to find and refine a choice nug.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

Making my way through Cool Games, and I understand why the CGI Jrs exist, but 20 minutes is just not enough to find and refine a choice nug.

As they explain, it's either that or nothing since Griffin had to film the MBMBAM show all month, so in that context I guess it's alright.

Speaking of that, I was pleased to hear that the 2nd CGI JR from Griffin's paternity leave (the episode before the most recent one) was about 40 minutes long, and I remember it being satisfyingly funny as well

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hell yeah I got to Griffin's Loss joke.

I liked it better when you were gone and not here.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Has anyone done fanart of the Hogsbottom three yet?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I like the Flophouse episode for the most part, except for the rap at the very end. God drat, that was a terrible way to close out the episode.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

inthesto posted:

I like the Flophouse episode for the most part, except for the rap at the very end. God drat, that was a terrible way to close out the episode.

I mean, to be fair that was literally the joke they set up like half in.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
you will never guess who just picked up rose buddies as part of their podcast network

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Huh, it never occurred to me that Rose Buddies wasn't already on Maximum Fun. I assumed that every time a McElroy blew their nose it was given a show called The Tissues of Today and advertised by someone coughing phlegm onto a microphone for a minute and a half.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
the maximummcelroy network of podcasts

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Are there any actual stats on how popular MBMBaM and other McElroy podcasts are? I remember in older donation drives, they'd joke about how badly they wanted to beat Jordan Jesse Go, so I was under the assumption that they weren't MaxFun's #1 show.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
On one hand, yay, I just started listening to Rose Buddies and it's a good podcast, well deserving of a MaxFun slot

On the other hand, though, one of the reasons I love rose buddies is the lack of ads. The show gets into a really good flow and already struggles to pack everything it wants into an hour. When you suddenly have to devote 10% of your time to ads that time crunch is gonna get even worse. Not to mention that I really don't like the disingenuous Max Fun ad format.

Edit: Although to be fair I'm only 30 episodes in so maybe they had already started doing ads and I haven't gotten that far yet.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 2, 2017

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

inthesto posted:

Are there any actual stats on how popular MBMBaM and other McElroy podcasts are? I remember in older donation drives, they'd joke about how badly they wanted to beat Jordan Jesse Go, so I was under the assumption that they weren't MaxFun's #1 show.

According to the iTunes rankings for comedy podcasts, you are correct in thinking that MBMBaM is not MaxFun's number one show, but Jordan Jesse Go is not even in the top 100. The highest rated MaxFun podcast is some dumb show about three brothers playing D&D with their dad.

Though if you're looking for the secret to truly dominating the iTunes charts, regadless of genre, your podcast should either be (a) badly researched pop-history, (b) hosted by a comedian who's already famous outside of the podcast or (c) actually just an NPR segment uploaded to iTunes

Deport The Irish fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 2, 2017

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
itunes rankings are based on a bunch of things not just straight downloads so that might not be completely representative. It's also possible that MBMBAM has a lot more listeners without having more donors since JJGo has been listener-supported for longer.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

zimbomonkey posted:

On the other hand, though, one of the reasons I love rose buddies is the lack of ads. The show gets into a really good flow and already struggles to pack everything it wants into an hour. When you suddenly have to devote 10% of your time to ads that time crunch is gonna get even worse.

that's not how podcasts work

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

itunes rankings are based on a bunch of things not just straight downloads so that might not be completely representative. It's also possible that MBMBAM has a lot more listeners without having more donors since JJGo has been listener-supported for longer.

That's true, and often climbing those iTunes charts is viewed as a way to gain listeners rather than an objective measure of popularity, but it's also the only data available so :shrug:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Do you think they're only bringing on Rose Buddies because they're out of McElroy shows to put Jumbtron messages on for 2017 already?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, if I were to do a jumbotron message, I would put it on rosebuddies.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I wonder how tough a choice it was at first to bring MBMBAM into the network. I was listening to MBMBAM when they moved over and I was also a fan of JJGo and a couple other Max Fun things, but it felt like kinda a weird combo at the time. Like, that was when Jordan seemed still pretty invested in Max Fun as some kinda internet alternative to NPR kinda thing, not super stuffy or anything but it for sure felt like they were going for a more lowkey tone than three brothers talking about lube bags and telling people to stay the gently caress away from their walnuts.

I mean, no poo poo it was a good choice because he got a family of podcast machines apparently, but it must have been kinda a 'well, they'll be neat to have around I guess' thing more than anything at the time, right?

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Well Jesse Thorn was big into the "New Sincerity" thing to the point of writing a manifesto for it, and the bros. are a perfect fit for that ideal.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

that's not how podcasts work

What exactly do you mean?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Well unless it's earwolf and they're locked into studio schedules I don't think ads will affect the length of the show but I said it like I wanted to pick a fight for some reason

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I don't know if Maxfun has rules but I do know that griffin seems really averse to making shows much more than an hour long. Whenever they start approaching an hour in Rose Buddies he starts hurrying things along even though they're not on a time limit right now either (admittedly with a few exceptions). It's possible he doesn't like having to edit that much and uh I can't say I blame him. Audio editing is the least fun part of podcasting by a long shot

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Brevity is the soul of wit, too

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
While I wouldn't mind longer podcasts I already listen to too many that drone on for 3 hours at a time and I definitely appreciate the hour limit on the McElboy's works

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Isn't an episode of the bachelor multiple hours long? It's already a ton of show to condense down, it's probably just a good goal to set so that they don't end up spending forever on any single moment.

I imagine that they'll still record for about an hour and will then add in ad break(s) as needed on top of that. There's no reason to actively take away their own time to discuss, since the limit's self-imposed.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Improbable Lobster posted:

While I wouldn't mind longer podcasts I already listen to too many that drone on for 3 hours at a time and I definitely appreciate the hour limit on the McElboy's works

Same same same.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I don't like podcasts that are much longer than an hour, so I appreciate that Griffin doesn't like making long ones.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm up to episode 8 of 11th Hour and I'm guessing based on context this was the episode a few months ago that was making everyone cry. I don't want to start it now at 2:15am, but this arc is just so drat good I had to share my excitement.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Asiina posted:

I'm up to episode 8 of 11th Hour and I'm guessing based on context this was the episode a few months ago that was making everyone cry. I don't want to start it now at 2:15am, but this arc is just so drat good I had to share my excitement.

I just started the same arc yesterday and god drat I'm seriously considering calling in sick just to marathon through the entire arc

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
The second or third episode of Eleventh Hour was when I caught up to the show after marathoning it, and oh boy was that the worst. This current arc is if anything more nerve-wracking though, because I think one of them might actually die

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
There's a newish blog that retweets Adventure Zone fanart, and it's really good - updates frequently and the art is usually pretty impressive. I'm loving all the different interpretations of the Evil Fashion Elves. https://thedavylamp.tumblr.com/

The Lowdog
Dec 14, 2012
Just saw this posted on the facebook group.
http://www.forbes.com/profile/griffin-mcelroy/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

showbiz_liz posted:

There's a newish blog that retweets Adventure Zone fanart, and it's really good - updates frequently and the art is usually pretty impressive. I'm loving all the different interpretations of the Evil Fashion Elves. https://thedavylamp.tumblr.com/

Thanks for linking to this, I think I've found my new headcanon Taako:

I think the eyes really nail it. I also found the best fantasy business: